Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Some Granny taking out her purse yesterday in Connoly Station in Dublin and then jumping through with another person instead of paying the €.20 to use the jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Roomate going across the city over to his girlfriends place for a few days last week. Brought with him the remains of his 2 litre of milk with what looked about no more than a centimeter of milk in the bottom of it. How proud she must feel in front of her housemates when he turns up at the door :o I really cant stand stingy people :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭veryangryman

ICE HOUSE wrote: »
    Roomate going across the city over to his girlfriends place for a few days last week. Brought with him the remains of his 2 litre of milk with what looked about no more than a centimeter of milk in the bottom of it. How proud she must feel in front of her housemates when he turns up at the door :o I really cant stand stingy people :mad:

Must be an animal in the sack to compensate! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Lived with a chap who used make a bowl of cereal in the morning, eat up the cereal until all was eaten and there was just milk left, then use some of the leftover milk in the bowl for his tea/coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

my brother has to be the tightest yoke Ive ever met.
    He's just started working fulltime after finishing college, so until he gets it together to move out of home, our mother decided to charge him 20 quid rent, just for the principle of it more than anything...she still pays all the bills and buys the food etc.
    So anyway, he came home from work all chuffed with himself one day - he'd spotted a special offer on weetabix in the shop, and got two large boxes for 6 quid.
    Rent day - he handed the mother 14 quid. She was so stunned she didn't know what to say...

If that was my mother, she'd have kicked my arse from one end of the house to the other. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Millicent wrote: »
    If that was my mother, she'd have kicked my arse from one end of the house to the other. :eek:

Exactly, you can get much better deals then that on weatabix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

Some Granny taking out her purse yesterday in Connoly Station in Dublin and then jumping through with another person instead of paying the €.20 to use the jacks.

TBH I never pay to use that jacks. 20c??? A junkie DIED in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

TBH I never pay to use that jacks. 20c??? A junkie DIED in there.

Yeah, for that kinda attraction, you'd expect to pay at least €2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

I know someone who buys CDs as presents and burns a copy of them to keep before giving them as a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

If the transaction is less than a fiver shops typically charge a fee for using a Laser card.

Nothing to do with it, the BANK charges 25c for every transaction no matter what the amount (well, BOI do).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

My uncle, tight git, one time we were going up by sally gap so when he came to any hills on the downward slope he would turn off the engine and coast down. Any hill.... he would turn engine off and then kick it back in at the bottom.
    then to top it off we had a coffee in arklow guess what he did, he saw the sugar cubes and yes u guessed it, stuffed about 20 of them in his shirt pockets and munched them down on the way home saying ( jasus great bargain i got with that cup a cha))

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

A guy a friend had hooked with and who had been staying in her house for days on end when asked to nip to the shop to get milk came back with one of those tiny little cartons with a straw in it instead of a litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Pique wrote: »
    I know someone who buys CDs as presents and burns a copy of them to keep before giving them as a gift.
    Guilty!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

There was 4 of us having lunch in Milano. When the bill came a visiting girl who my GF did not know so well. She waited until we all put our money on the plate for the bill. She counted it & seeing that we paid close to 5 euros of tips. She then add to it so the bill was paid with no tip.

I was walking out at the time but did not believe it. Ask GF later & seem thats what she did. Lets just say we will not invite her to stay again.

Other stories about this so called friend but I will leave it at that. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭scotchy

Thats just common sense.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Lived with a chap who used make a bowl of cereal in the morning, eat up the cereal until all was eaten and there was just milk left, then use some of the leftover milk in the bowl for his tea/coffee.

That's not stingy, it's normal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's not stingy, it's normal

But i think he meant the little bit at the bottom of the bowl not the carton

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Bob Z wrote: »
    But i think he meant the little bit at the bottom of the bowl not the carton

Yeah I read that bit.
    then use some of the leftover milk in the bowl for his tea
    He's putting it in the tea instead of throwing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Garage in Tullamore, one day getting petrol, cigs and a gas tank, almost €80, I gave notes and change, proceeded to walk out when i heard this loud roar followed by the owner running after me. After making a complete gob****e of himself he claimed i left him short 2 cent, yes two cent, apparently i went of 2 cent on the petrol pump.

I gave him a look from hell, took out a €50 Note and said take it out of that, much to the amusement of at least five customers.

Since then, i stop occasionally, make sure the ****er can see me, fill my tyres with Air and **** off, no doubt he will start charging for air soon.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Yeah I read that bit.

Yeah, throwing it out would be wasteful. I wouldn't put it into tea myself (it'd affect the taste) but I'd always drink it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Yeah I read that bit.

I never throw it out either, I still drink it (sometimes via scooping with the spoon, sometimes bowl to mouth when I can get away with it :P) but would never recycle it in tea or coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

ronan45 wrote: »
    My uncle, tight git, one time we were going up by sally gap so when he came to any hills on the downward slope he would turn off the engine and coast down. Any hill.... he would turn engine off and then kick it back in at the bottom.
    then to top it off we had a coffee in arklow guess what he did, he saw the sugar cubes and yes u guessed it, stuffed about 20 of them in his shirt pockets and munched them down on the way home saying ( jasus great bargain i got with that cup a cha))

That's unreal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

He must be driving a very old car as he would have no steering or brakes when the engine is turned off. He can't be too mean to buy coffee :confused: If he was that mean he would wait till he got home to take the tea bag of the clothes line.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,898 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That's actually extremely dangerous. When you coast with the ignition off like you described, the brake effect on the car is vastly reduced due to no action being applied from the brake servo.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

Long time reader, first time poster. This is a brilliant topic, I've really enjoyed reading through it.

This is actually the story of my first time in the Porterhouse in Temple Bar. Myself and a couple of friends went in anyways and not being used to the "strange beers" available were deciding what to order. First guy goes up to the bar without so much as a look at what's on offer and says "I'll have your cheapest pint". Barman brings him back a pint of water.

It was priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Friend of mine used to charge other students at his primary school 20p to pet his dog when he was small.

One day I walked into his sitting room and he had a plate of chips, I went to rob one as you do and he slapped my hand away in the process knocking a good ten of his chips on the floor, apparently it was the ''principle of the thing''.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Friend of mine used to charge other students at his primary school 20p to pet his dog when he was small.

One day I walked into his sitting room and he had a plate of chips, I went to rob one as you do and he slapped my hand away in the process knocking a good ten of his chips on the floor, apparently it was the ''principle of the thing''.

Just right! It IS the principle of it..... I HATE when people think it's ok to dive their grubby mitts into my dinner. It's not that I'm greedy and don't wanna share. It's that I genuinely don't know where the hell your hands have been. You know, a hell of a lot less people than you may think actually bother to was their hands after being for a piss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Quazzie wrote: »
    That's actually extremely dangerous. When you coast with the ignition off like you described, the brake effect on the car is vastly reduced due to no action being applied from the brake servo.
    put it in gear and let the clutch out if you need to slow down :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Ignoring that it's illegal to freewheel, it reminds me of what a driving instructor told many years ago about slowing down through the gearbox. It saves money on brake pads, but brake pads are a lot cheaper than gear boxes. ( but get used to being able to slow down by changing down the gears so that you can do instinctively if you ever need to do it )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭serfboard

Was sharing a house one time with some German students (a fella and two girls). Yer man was a real meano, always going on about bargains etc.

Anyway, we had a kitty system going which was grand. Over Easter, with people being away, the kitty kind of lapsed. I came down into the kitchen one morning and made meself a cup of tea.

Next thing yer man says to me - "Now, we have a problem, you know, because I paid for this tea" :eek:

I was so shocked it took me a while to compose meself and say "that's grand - when the others come back we'll settle up with you for that".

Friend of mine says to me later that I should have said to him "OK - how much do you want for the one tea bag that I used?"

Only thing is the fcuker would probably have come up with a figure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,329 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Reusing tea bags..... nuff said!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement