Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Victor wrote: »
    Do you mean because of all the broken crockery in their history?

I think he means they break plates at weddings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

My mother gave my father a previously used Christmas card which she gave to him two years previous, she found it in the x-mas decorations box. She thought he wouldn't notice, and he didn't. She later told me that she saved 3 euros by doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

dclane wrote: »
    My mother gave my father a christmas card which was two years old, she found it in the x-mas decorations box. She thought he wouldn't notice, and he didn't. She later told me that she saved 3 euros by doing that.

Was it used two years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

YFlyer wrote: »
    Was it used two years ago?

Yes it was

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

dclane wrote: »
    Yes it was

He noticed, trust me. Its what men learn over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

etymon wrote: »
    I always pay with Laser where I can (I'm talking a bag of crisps and paper at the newsagent) which pi$$es everyone in the queue behind me off... BUT... it means I don't have to take out 10 or 20 quid and spend the rest of it on rubbish... hard times and all!

Great idea adding 25c to the cost of your crisps and paper everyday!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

2 Stingy stories..

My Sister came to visit me one weekend with her kids (I live on the West coast , she in Dublin). She owns a shop and arrived with a bar (not a BOX mind ) of After-Eight chocolate as a gift for me (nothing for my wife and kids)...
    Only trouble was , she had eaten half the bar and closed the wrapper back up before giving it to me!! - "I got hungry on the drive down" was the reply when I asked where the rest of the bar was!!!

2nd Story - Maybe not stingy as such but certainly close to it..

Brother of a work-mate is notorious for haggling over everything - Went to a furniture shop to buy a new couch - Haggled the very skin off the sales guys back, he got the price down from about €600 to close to €400 , free scotch-guarding etc etc and then when the deal was done... He looks at the sales guy and says "Do you accept Credit cards?" , when the guy says "Yes sir , we do" , he whips out a wad of cash and says "Grand...That'll be another 3% off for cash so!!!"

Don't know whether to love or hate the guy...

In a restaurant I work in part time, 2 women come in mid-week, when its quiet (usually finished by 11pm) and go upstairs (which is 100% empty) and sit by the window.

They order the two smallest, cheapest starters on the menu and two teas, thats it. They order a pot of hot water with the teas so they can top up the main pot later. They then ask for another pot of hot water later so they can start all over again. They eat their way through the whole basket of complimentary bread and then ask for another. The whole time minimal mid-week staff are up and down the stairs wasting time and energy on these two stingey bats.

And to top it off, they sit there nattering all night with the whole place empty as they've no clue they're the last people in the place until they come down the stairs at 11-11.30. And a tip, you have to be joking, they pay the bill to the last cent.

Last week two similar women came in and had two starters, when I went to take a drink order they asked for a sparking water with two glasses. Why don't these people just stay at home?

Middle aged women are the vain of my life in that place, they sit there from 9.30-10pm having finished their meal, nattering until 12.30 with not a single thing infront of them and then scoff at the thought of being the last people in the place when walking out.

Can't beat serving businessmen, pints all round, no teas or coffees, no bickering over pennies, all goes on one card and they're gone by 10pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

In a restaurant I work in part time, 2 women come in mid-week, when its quiet (usually finished by 11pm) and go upstairs (which is 100% empty) and sit by the window.

They order the two smallest, cheapest starters on the menu and two teas, thats it. They order a pot of hot water with the teas so they can top up the main pot later. They then ask for another pot of hot water later so they can start all over again. They eat their way through the whole basket of complimentary bread and then ask for another. The whole time minimal mid-week staff are up and down the stairs wasting time and energy on these two stingey bats.

And to top it off, they sit there nattering all night with the whole place empty as they've no clue they're the last people in the place until they come down the stairs at 11-11.30. And a tip, you have to be joking, they pay the bill to the last cent.
    i'm not disagreeing with you, but why not just close the upstairs part?

Ah I dont know, its not up to me. People are encouraged to sit downstairs when its quiet, odd group want to be upstairs for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭loishasdied

instead of having rasher sandwhiches we would chase the pig around the yard so he would work up a sweat and then we would rub bread off his skin to get the taste of a rasher sandwhich ... we're going back to them days too with the country the way it is!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

instead of having rasher sandwhiches we would chase the pig around the yard so he would work up a sweat and then we would rub bread off his skin to get the taste of a rasher sandwhich ... we're going back to them days too with the country the way it is!!!

Jayzus, ive heard of waiting for hen to lay the egg but draw the line at rubbing bread on a sweaty pig :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Was having a bite yesterday evening with the youngest lad before he went out trick or treating and I went to work. Asked him if anyone in the estate didn't suscribe to the whole idea, kinda knowing the answer already knowing the amount of *cough* characters that live around here, but he threw me with his answer. "when we called to no. ** last year she answered the door and said she had nothing because they were only renting the house, they didn't own it":eek:

Would she not just pull down the blinds, close the curtains and pretend not to be in instead?

I know someone who disconnected his doorbell at Halloween a few years ago. :pac: It had more to do with not wanting to be bothered than with meanness, but its still pretty eccentric behaviour imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

etymon wrote: »
    I always pay with Laser where I can (I'm talking a bag of crisps and paper at the newsagent) which pi$$es everyone in the queue behind me off... BUT... it means I don't have to take out 10 or 20 quid and spend the rest of it on rubbish... hard times and all!

You don't HAVE to spend the rest on rubbish.

Don't believe everything you hear about money burning a hole in your pocket. It's not meant to be taken literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

SkidMark wrote: »
    You don't HAVE to spend the rest on rubbish.

Don't believe everything you hear about money burning a hole in your pocket. It's not meant to be taken literally.

Somebodysvbeen watching mythbsuters
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I made Rice Krispie buns with my little one on Saturday, and when eating them after dinner my OH went to throw the empty bun cases in the bin.
    I stopped her in her tracks just in time because they can be used again.
    I mean like whats the point in throwing out bun cases just because there is a small bit of chocolate on them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

When I made those krispie buns, I did not even use bun cases - just popped them in blob shapes on to a piece of tinfoil or greaseproof paper.
    I refuse to pay for fancy bun cases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

snubbleste wrote: »
    When I made those krispie buns, I did not even use bun cases - just popped them in blob shapes on to a piece of tinfoil or greaseproof paper.
    I refuse to pay for fancy bun cases

Do you not just get a tray of Coco Pops you tight Bastid!!!!

- God help yer Kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I made Rice Krispie buns with my little one on Saturday, and when eating them after dinner my OH went to throw the empty bun cases in the bin.
    I stopped her in her tracks just in time because they can be used again.
    I mean like whats the point in throwing out bun cases just because there is a small bit of chocolate on them?

Eugh! Did any children eat these cakes? Kids generally eat directly from the paper case - there could be saliva all over the cases.

Much better suggestion from Snubbleste to not use any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Eugh! Did any children eat these cakes? Kids generally eat directly from the paper case - there could be saliva all over the cases.

Much better suggestion from Snubbleste to not use any at all.

The buns were removed from the cases before being consumed.
    But what I discovered is that instead of using a full bar of cooking chocolate one can actually use a 1/2 bar and add some milk into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I was at a wedding a few years ago with a neighbour. She said couldn't afford much so she didn't give the bride and groom a present. She got a few drinks from a few people she knew at the reception but didn't buy them drink back. When she sat down for the meal she had a double brandy when the drinks order came round :rolleyes: She managed to bum more drink and fags after the meal off more people. When I decided that it was time to go home she said that she was going to stay the night as she didn't want to miss anything the following morning. She knew the grooms mother fairly well and guess what she bummed her way into her hotel room for the night:o She got more free drink the morning after and got a drive home. She managed to go to a wedding drink enough stay in the hotel overnight and didn't spend a cent. The same woman gave the groom a scratch card for his 21st birthday :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 matthewbandit

It was actually vodafone who sent 'Call Me'. O2 were more mannerly and had 'Can you call me please?'.

the free text from vodafone used to say how r u? I remember when I started going out with my girlfriend she would tell me if I send u a how r u message it means I've no credit but I kept forgetting and I'd text back I'm fine how r u? but she could only send 1 of them txt's a day. She used to crack up over it. But it mustn't have been that bad cause she's now my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

my brother has to be the tightest yoke Ive ever met.
    He's just started working fulltime after finishing college, so until he gets it together to move out of home, our mother decided to charge him 20 quid rent, just for the principle of it more than anything...she still pays all the bills and buys the food etc.
    So anyway, he came home from work all chuffed with himself one day - he'd spotted a special offer on weetabix in the shop, and got two large boxes for 6 quid.
    Rent day - he handed the mother 14 quid. She was so stunned she didn't know what to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Great idea adding 25c to the cost of your crisps and paper everyday!

How is he adding 25c every day? :confused:

How is he adding 25c every day? :confused:

If the transaction is less than a fiver shops typically charge a fee for using a Laser card.

If the transaction is less than a fiver shops typically charge a fee for using a Laser card.

To be honest that's fairly stingy that the shop would charge that

I always pay for as much as I can on Laser (even for small transactions well under a fiver) and I never got charged anything other than price of the goods

I used to work in a shop and just as a test I made a transaction for €0.01 and it went through without any additional charge so any shop who adds it is just keeping it for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

To be honest that's fairly stingy that the shop would charge that

I always pay for as much as I can on Laser (even for small transactions well under a fiver) and I never got charged anything other than price of the goods

I used to work in a shop and just as a test I made a transaction for €0.01 and it went through without any additional charge so any shop who adds it is just keeping it for themselves

Ah, the charges are added later - not at the time. Check your statement at the end of the month/quarter and you'll see them there - and not just for transactions under a fiver (for the record, I've never used my card for transactions less than I would imagine €20). I'm not 100% sure on this but some charges are by the bank/card provider so just beware!

Ah, the charges are added later - not at the time. Check your statement at the end of the month/quarter and you'll see them there - and not just for transactions under a fiver (for the record, I've never used my card for transactions less than I would imagine €20). I'm not 100% sure on this but some charges are by the bank/card provider so just beware!

Ah I know the charges you are on about now. I thought there was an extra charge for doing small transactions that I didn't know about.

I got the bank to change my account to a student account to avoid those charges so all Laser transactions are free :D

Edit: I guess that now makes me stingy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I don't know if I mentioned this before but...

I sanded off the expiery date on my old Student ID, rubbed it down with wet-dry sandpaper and re-laqured the whole thing. It looks totally un-touched.

The result: A never expiring Student ID :D I've yet to be challanged on it as a lot of Uni's/IT's are now doing this "1 card for your whole stay" thing to save money, hence no expiery date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭legallyblonde86

My aunt is LOADED!! A few years ago, for my 18th birthday, she gave me a white t-shirt that was three sizes too big for me.

Turns out she had received it as a prize in a raffle and attempted to give it to my other aunt as a present the month before my birthday. When my aunt gave it back to her she then gave it to me.

I gave it to her for her birthday :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement