Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

And before you ask, yes I did move out. All of the above was in a 10week period!

You should change your name to Saint ButtersSuki, a lessor person would have killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I used to go out with the stingiest man alive. Amongst many many examples, he borrowed my 'holiday fund' money for emergencies to be paid back when his cheque arrived (he worked for himself) the following week (I had arranged to go on holiday the following month so it all seemed reasonable). The 'emergency' turned out to be a guitar he wanted and when I asked him had his cheque arrived he told me impatiently that he needed that money for bills and that there were more pressing matters at hand than me running off on holiday with my mates. Obviously the new guitar was more pressing and I never got to go on the holiday.

In my vast stupidity I then moved in with the stingy bastard and planned a dinner party for a few friends. The day of the dinner party we both headed out to buy the food / booze etc. He started to turn purple as we walked around the supermarket watching me put items in the trolley (needless to say I was paying for the lot as the dinner party was my idea) and then by the time we got to the checkout, watched me hand over the cash and exploded that I could be spending my money on more important things (perhaps another guitar for him?) and demanded I CHARGE guests €20 each to make it fair as they arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GSV

I'm not sure if i'm turned on or disgusted. Probably turned on.

-Funk

Weirdo! :D

Actually, now you mention it...
    I think you're allowed to be both. As in if someone asks you can they pee on you in the bath.
    Someone of the opposite sex that is, or the same sex if you're that way inclined but definately not your uncle or a neighbour who just happens to be passing.
    That probably wouldn't be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

thats 2000 cans :eek:

I call shenanigans!

He was on a J1, its definitely possible :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

My flatmate owed me some cash a while back. He bought a garlic and cheese chip for dinner one day but couldn't finish and was gonna bin it but then offered it to me so i ate it rather than having him throw it away. When it came to payin me back he took the price of half a garlic and cheese chip away from the total he owed me. How can anyone be that stingy :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Cant think of anything to say but its funny to hear bout someone been tight or stingy, "he so tight he still has his communion/confirmation money"

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭villabren

Auld fella who lives near me, like most stingy people not short of a few bob. Uses his free bus pass to travel to Dublin every day for penny dinners. He attends mass regularly and when ever it's a funeral mass and the priest announces "Sandwiches and refreshments will be served in..." he's there like a shot. Mightn't know the person nor the sky above them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bagel wrote: »
    The funniest celebrity one I heard was of Gay Byrne seen at the petrol pump holding the hose bit up high to get the last few drips he'd paid for into his tank. This was in the 80s. Hopefully he has a few more penny's in the bank now!
    In fairness, he was defrauded out of his pension by his then accountant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Byrne
    Byrne relied on an accountant friend, Russell Murphy, to manage his finances, and was personally distraught when upon the accountant's death in 1986, it was found that most of his savings had been squandered, and this had been hidden from him.
    Over 10 years ago, I lived with a colleague.
    You lived with a thief.
    Katgurl wrote: »
    by the time we got to the checkout, watched me hand over the cash and exploded that I could be spending my money on more important things (perhaps another guitar for him?) and demanded I CHARGE guests €20 each to make it fair as they arrived.
    Did you charge him? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Knine wrote: »
    When my ex returns my child from access, he used to take the bib off her neck and put it in his pocket and bring it home with him, you know the little plastic backed ones you get in pennys:mad:

One Christmas I invited him over as I felt it was the right thing to do. He brought her an xmas pressie, then when he was going home, he took it out of her little hands and brought the pressie home with him:eek:

I've just been reading through the thread and I spotted this. I don't think this is stingey at all and in fact makes perfect sense. He paid for the bibs so that he can have them at his house when the child visits. If he leaves the bib on the child when returning the child to the main carer then he has to buy a new bib every time he gets access.

In terms of the Xmas present he bought it for the child but maybe he decided that he would like to keep at his house for the child to play with when he has access. The home of the child would obviously have lots of toys about whereas because he only has limited access then his wouldn't have.

Dads with limited access to their children have it hard enough without them being accused of being stingey because they try to have stuff in their homes for the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pinkyponk2

I know someone who bought a 1 euro scratch card from someone selling for charity (asthma society i think). She didnt scratch it till she got home and discovered she'd won 1 euro. She kept that scratch card in her purse for months until she saw someone selling scratch cards for the asthma society and couldnt get to them fast enought to claim her 1 euro.

So she gave to charity ....... and then took it back off them :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

It's true that the richest people are the stingiest. There was one woman in my last job, she had a mad expensive car and a mansion in Rathgar. We had a tea club that we would pay 2.50 into each week, it covered milk, sugar and bread for toast, she had a full blown argument over paying 2.50 as she doesn't take sugar in her tea so she only wanted to pay 1.50. Another time we discoved insects in the food cupboard, they were in everything so all the food got thrown out, we actually caught her going through the bin later and she took out her sandwich and ate it, honest to god, the canteen emptied in 2 seconds coz no one could watch her eat it, stingiest fecker I've ever met.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

Firehen wrote: »

One example I can think of was when me and a few mates were on J1 in San Diego for a summer. We collected all beer cans for the majority of the summer cos there was a refund policy of 5 cents a can, I think. At one point, we had bags upon bags of cans in the house and when we had to move we had no car to drop us at the nearest collection point. Rather than simply throwing the cans out, or leave them on the street for a lucky homeless type, we decided to bring them with us.

In the end, we had to give up the ghost and just throw them out, but it was only when no alternative remained. Probably about $100 between 7 or 8 of us, and we were devastated!

We robbed shopping trollys for bringing them back :P

Im so stingy I got 6 of the quick soup packets from the Metro guys the other morning :P

In fairness they were throwing them at me all the way from dame street to stephens green!!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭tough__cookie

I was at a restaurant a few weeks ago, we seen a man stealing the salt and pepper cellars off his table.

I also knew someone who refused to buy toilet rolls, they just used to steal rolls of them from toilets in bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

One thing I hate is some women who get involved in rounds of drinks when they're out with their partners, but don't buy themselves.

I know one couple who I used to serve drinks to when I worked in a bar, they were both wealthy and successful business people, near retiring age, and divorcees. They would often drink with this other man who was a gardener and not exactly too well off, and get into rounds with him. She wouldn't even dream of buying a drink, and the guy would would end up paying for 5-6 vodka and cokes every time he went out for a few pints after work.

The poor man used to hate seeing them coming, and he obviously couldn't say anything because he would have insulted them.

I know that some women think that having their partners buying all they drinks for them is romantic, but getting other people to do it is extremely mean IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

I used to go out with a guy who used to convenietly forgot to bring his bank card when we went out and only have a certain amount on him. So i'd end up paying for most of the night.
    For my birthday his mother was the one who bought my birthday present and it was a whole load of cr*p from the euro store ( think constance carroll blue eyeshadow). And of course the day before my birthday he "lost" his wallet and I had to bail him out. Found it the next day amazingly!
    Also asked me to pick up flowers for his mother as a present and he'd pay me back. Never seen a cent of it.
    Thank god I only went out with him for 2 months before I kicked that loser to the kerb. Like paying my own way so hate that kinda cheap stinginess

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

I call shenanigans!

It could have been 1000 @ 10 cents a can, but the fact remains there were a lot of them! Money that summer was spent either on booze or cheap noodles!

Luckily, we all had a high tolerance of general filth and squalor that summer, cos the smell of stale beer was absolutely rank. Plus, they took up a LOT of room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I need to be a little more stingy- I'm spending money like water atm, Thanks for the tips lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

I used to go out with a guy who used to convenietly forgot to bring his bank card when we went out and only have a certain amount on him.

Knew two Scabby sisters like that. It was not for want of money, they were far better off that me or my mates.

When we used to go away to the west on weekends, my mate used to stop at an ATM near their house, tell them the cost of the petrol for the trip, (his car, we always split the petrol), the cost of the accomodation and food and the number of nights in the pub planned. It worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

My family came to visit my house in Dublin the other weekend and when we were going out the door to go into town I was closing the door and in literally 5 seconds they had went through my neighbours bins and found a broken pair of trainers. I could disown them at that moment.

They are the kind of people who throw rubbish out of the car out of the local protestants house to get back at the English! (Northern Ireland):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

I have a "friend" who came to visit once and brought me a lovely chocolate cake. While I was up putting the kids to bed she ate the whole thing :eek:

Same "friend" 9 times out of 10 either forgets her laser card or to stop at an atm on way to the pub. Asked me if I had any chocolate once and I gave her a bar from one of the kids Easter Eggs and she went on to eat the 2nd bar and the whole egg. Asked me for a "loan" of a Euro to buy herself a magazine on way home one time. One time she was broke so myself and my OH brought her out for a few drinks, then when we left the pub she wanted to go to a niteclub and when we said no she wanted to go to the Chipper. Got to stage where we used to hide all the crisps, chocolate, biscuits, drinks etc in the tumble dryer before she arrived at the house. Dont even get me started on the cigarettes! I have 3 children and a mortgage, my OH works and I stay at home to look after the kids. She's single, full time permanent job and living at home. When we had the inevitable row over all of the above she told me it was my choice to stay at home with the kids and I was lucky to be able to do so. It was actually because childcare wouldve cost me more than I would have earned at the time. But either way, even I was a multi-millionaire, doesnt mean I owe her anything or that shes entitled to anything from me!

She also used to drop her sister to work every morning, which was on her way to her own job, and charged her a certain amount each week for petrol. Oh and she bumped into a friend of my brothers in town one night, who she would only really know to see, and asked him for a tenner for a taxi home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Jennyfer wrote: »
    I have a "friend" who came to visit once and brought me a lovely chocolate cake. While I was up putting the kids to bed she ate the whole thing :eek:

Same "friend" 9 times out of 10 either forgets her laser card or to stop at an atm on way to the pub. Asked me if I had any chocolate once and I gave her a bar from one of the kids Easter Eggs and she went on to eat the 2nd bar and the whole egg. Asked me for a "loan" of a Euro to buy herself a magazine on way home one time. One time she was broke so myself and my OH brought her out for a few drinks, then when we left the pub she wanted to go to a niteclub and when we said no she wanted to go to the Chipper. Got to stage where we used to hide all the crisps, chocolate, biscuits, drinks etc in the tumble dryer before she arrived at the house. Dont even get me started on the cigarettes! I have 3 children and a mortgage, my OH works and I stay at home to look after the kids. She's single, full time permanent job and living at home. When we had the inevitable row over all of the above she told me it was my choice to stay at home with the kids and I was lucky to be able to do so. It was actually because childcare wouldve cost me more than I would have earned at the time. But either way, even I was a multi-millionaire, doesnt mean I owe her anything or that shes entitled to anything from me!

She also used to drop her sister to work every morning, which was on her way to her own job, and charged her a certain amount each week for petrol. Oh and she bumped into a friend of my brothers in town one night, who she would only really know to see, and asked him for a tenner for a taxi home.

this reads more like your therapy group..
    Hi my name is Jennyfer, and I've been subbing my scabby mate for 10 years. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

peatcass wrote: »
    this reads more like your therapy group..
    Hi my name is Jennyfer, and I've been subbing my scabby mate for 10 years. :pac:

Hi my name is Jennifer my friend ate a whole cake in under a minute and we have to hide food from her in the tumble dryer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

One example I can think of was when me and a few mates were on J1 in San Diego for a summer. We collected all beer cans for the majority of the summer cos there was a refund policy of 5 cents a can, I think. At one point, we had bags upon bags of cans in the house and when we had to move we had no car to drop us at the nearest collection point. Rather than simply throwing the cans out, or leave them on the street for a lucky homeless type, we decided to bring them with us.

In the end, we had to give up the ghost and just throw them out, but it was only when no alternative remained. Probably about $100 between 7 or 8 of us, and we were devastated!

I call shenanigans!
    It could have been 1000 @ 10 cents a can, but the fact remains there were a lot of them! Money that summer was spent either on booze or cheap noodles!

Luckily, we all had a high tolerance of general filth and squalor that summer, cos the smell of stale beer was absolutely rank. Plus, they took up a LOT of room.

8 lads on holiday in America for the Summer? Hardly shenanigans, that's less than 3 cans a day each!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Real quick.
    On hols with friends in Greece. Friend broke ankle, was smashed in about 5 places. Needed plates. Anyway, he's lyin on bed in agony, other friends goin off licence for beers. Injured friend hands guy bout 6 euro, and asks for about 4 or 5 bottles, and says, "Kev owes me a euro, get it off him, put it towards my money".

I was shocked, he gave me the euro about 4 months before that. It's not a bloody lend at 1 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I was shocked, he gave me the euro about 4 months before that. It's not a bloody lend at 1 euro.

Its only a euro ffs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Well sure didn't you have that ridiculous and totally unneccessary heater in your bedroom running all through the winter? ;)

How the hell is a heater unneccesary in winter? Especially in a cold damp rural house with out heating. What are you, a Polar bear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Was having a bite yesterday evening with the youngest lad before he went out trick or treating and I went to work. Asked him if anyone in the estate didn't suscribe to the whole idea, kinda knowing the answer already knowing the amount of *cough* characters that live around here, but he threw me with his answer. "when we called to no. ** last year she answered the door and said she had nothing because they were only renting the house, they didn't own it":eek:

Would she not just pull down the blinds, close the curtains and pretend not to be in instead?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Real quick.
    On hols with friends in Greece. Friend broke ankle, was smashed in about 5 places. Needed plates. Anyway, he's lyin on bed in agony, other friends goin off licence for beers. Injured friend hands guy bout 6 euro, and asks for about 4 or 5 bottles, and says, "Kev owes me a euro, get it off him, put it towards my money".

Greece is that last place you want to be if you need plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Greece is that last place you want to be if you need plates.
    Do you mean because of all the broken crockery in their history?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

My ex bosses father was over here on holiday from India,and as an indian tradtion,he brings back presents to all his family back home

One day he walks into work with a Marks&Spencers shopping basket and told me that it would make a nice present for his sister and it cost him nothing

I told him he wasnt supposed to keep it,he looked at me puzzled and said "what you talking about?,the sign next to it said please take one,so i did!!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement