Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Don't you mean "2 breads"?

Aye two pieces of bread?..

oh wait just got it... da dum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lav1

i hate the people who come to a party with their own drink, drink the host,s drink all night and then leave with the drink they brought with them in the first place!! stingy f**ks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

lav1 wrote: »
    i hate the people who come to a party with their own drink, drink the host,s drink all night and then leave with the drink they brought with them in the first place!! stingy f**ks

And I bet if you checked it's the same drink they bring to each party :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Dating tight people was up on Ray d'Arcy this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

One day when on a site visit with my boss, we were passing through a town and he pulls up. He got out and took two black bags out of the boot and shoved them into a bin on the footpath!

He got back into the car and said "I never miss an opportunity"!

Theres no bin collection at work and I guess he has none at home too.......

Theres plenty more stingy things he does also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

hblock21 wrote: »
    One day when on a site visit with my boss, we were passing through a town and he pulls up. He got out and took two black bags out of the boot and shoved them into a bin on the footpath!

He got back into the car and said "I never miss an opportunity"!

Theres no bin collection at work and I guess he has none at home too.......

Theres plenty more stingy things he does also.

Found out the hard way that people REALLY don't like you doing this...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Red Alert wrote: »
    Dating tight people was up on Ray d'Arcy this morning.

Heard that one too. Actually felt sorry for the guy. It was HIS birthday and she expected him to be providing the beer etc. Just thought double standards etc. Nobody has the gawl to call the girl mean*

*I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 NoSummer

I once saw an old man sit in beside a couple who were eating food at a bar in Kerry. He seemed friendly enough and started chatting to them. Their meal included tea and coffee. I think they were on holidays and happy to chat to locals. Anyway the couple finished their meal and left a nice tip.
    Then old man slid into their seat and proceeded to finish their pot of tea.
    Now I though that was opportunistic enough, but then thought that the tea would be going to waste anyway so it was fair enough. He did use their dirty cups though...
    BUT to make things really bad he ate all the leftovers and pocketed the tip.
    I was stunned.

Mate works in a cafe.

One customer (old man) asks her if she has any buns that fell on the floor.

He wanted to get one cheaper for same price.

I find that most old people are unbelievably mean. And are not shy about their mean-ness either.

Another old man i know of was a whore for it. Used to plug out his daughters computer if she went downstairs for dinner. This back in the days before MS Word had the option to restore unsaved files. Lost half the dissertation over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mate works in a cafe.

He wanted to get one cheaper for same price.

I find that most old people are unbelievably mean. And are not shy about their mean-ness either.

Another old man i know of was a whore for it. Used to plug out his daughters computer if she went downstairs for dinner. This back in the days before MS Word had the option to restore unsaved files. Lost half the dissertation over it

If he was my dad, and did that when I was writing up, he would now be a dead man. Not nice at all. :mad:

• Advertisement

Mate works in a cafe.

He wanted to get one cheaper because it fell on the floor.

Corrected ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A mate of mine put 20.03 of petrol into his tank instead of 20.00 and queued for 5 minutes in the rain for the ATM, rather than put it on his laser at the till becasue he knew they'd let him away with the 3c if he had cash. Stingey Bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

No way. Meanness is just another one of the scummy habits of our generation. I can't go visit my elderly aunts without them trying to force me to take half their pension home with me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

a fella i know watches mass on sunday on the tv and when it comes to passing round the collection basket he switches channel.

Many older people remember when there were real shortages.
    They learned things like "want not, waste not" simply because where wasn't much to go around and they often went without.

To equate that with meanness just shows how much things have changed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

joeduggan wrote: »
    a fella i know watches mass on sunday on the tv and when it comes to passing round the collection basket he switches channel.
    Brilliant :D

Many older people remember when there were real shortages.
    They learned things like "want not, waste not" simply because where wasn't much to go around and they often went without.

To equate that with meanness just shows how much things have changed!

Your right. They remember things being that bad. But even when things improved and money was plentiful, they still clench those ass cheeks as hard as they possibly can.

Im a regular on the bargain alerts forum and try to be savvy, especially these days, but god some of these guys could write a book on it*

* If they didnt have to pay a publisher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Is it wrong to break the stem/stalk off mushrooms in the supermarket and throw them back in the box before weighing them?
    Not gonna use them, so why pay for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

watna wrote: »
    We have a friend that is incredibly tight who I have mentioned before in this thread. He has a new habit of always being the first to leave when we're in a bar or restaurant. We all get food and drinks to the table, then has to rush off somewhere early and "forgets" to pay the bill - then someone else has to pay for him.

One of the girls brought it up in front of everyone recently. She said "you walked out without paying for your meal the other night" and he lied and told her "it was all sorted". The thing was she was the one who had paid for it and she hadn't received any money from him. He just shrugged said he'd buy her a drink next time they were out. A meal and drinks does not equal one glass of wine.

Honestly, what can you do with someone like that? He has no shame about it. I'd be so embarassed if people thought I was that tight. Luckily I've never been stupid enough to cover his portion of a meal. That's money you'll never get back... and we know he's the highest paid out of all of us.

How about not hanging around with them anymore?When they have no mates they will start to wonder why and it will hit them. I hate pricks like that with a passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

wyndham wrote: »
    Is it wrong to break the stem/stalk off mushrooms in the supermarket and throw them back in the box before weighing them?
    Not gonna use them, so why pay for them?
    Why don't you use them? They're fine to eat, taste the same or even better as the *real part* so I would say it is stingy, since you should eat them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Brilliant thread.

Theres a couple of friends of mine that I reckon this thread was written about.

On more than one occasion Ive seen him wait for his 1 cent change from anything.

They buy "pratical" things for each others birthdays--Last week he bought her a tyre for her car--well he told her to get the tyre fitted and he`d pay for it.
    Then asked her for the receipt :)

Ive also seen him q at an atm after going over by a couple of cent on his fuel fill so that they dont have to put the extra 1 cent on his laser--if he has 20 cash he saves that important 1 cent.

They go for lunch in a major shopping centre most days--now they both get 30 mins for lunch but because theyre so mean they go looking for the cheapest lasagne (apparently theres a difference of 20 cent each)
    A few times theyve actually missed out on having lunch because it took them so long to find the cheapest place.

We were away with them for a weekend down the country a few years back and they drove miles to the nearest supermarket to buy their beer because they saw a sign where the cans were 5 cent cheaper each.

She regulalry drives to Tesco in Finglas to get her petrol yet its a 30-40 mile round trip--surley her savings are gone with amount she spent to get there.

They`ll drink smithwicks when we go to a pub because its 10 cent cheaper than Carlsberg (I think)

They`ll add up to the cent what they owe on a restaurant bill.

Asked him one night what he wanted at the bar--we werent doing the whole round thing(you wouldnt want to with these 2 tbh) and he hands me a fiver for a pint of whatever--It came to 4.90 so I hands him the change and he asks me for a receipt to "check his change"
    Wanted me to go back to the bar to get the receipt.

Its the little things that annoy the hell out of me.
    And someone said earlier that its the ones who are loaded are the most miserable--These 2 are loaded but I reckon thats how!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Hellrazer wrote: »

They`ll drink smithwicks when we go to a pub because its 10 cent cheaper than Carlsberg (I think)

Good God. There's being stingy and then there's this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Hellrazer wrote: »

Maybe they just prefer smithwicks?!?!

The petrol one is ridiculous. I reckon it probably costs her about a fiver in petrol for that trip and even if the petrol was 2c cheaper she's probably only saving about a euro!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Nope all they drink is Lager either Carlsberg or Miller.Maybe Im wrong with the 10 cent saving(it could be more though)

Last time we got into rounds they bought Smithwicks for everyone to save more money(think someone mentioned about someone buying a round of orange--similar thing)--All we drink is Miller.Thats why we dont get into it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

The petrol one is ridiculous. I reckon it probably costs her about a fiver in petrol for that trip and even if the petrol was 2c cheaper she's probably only saving about a euro!

If the trip cost her €5 she would need to buy 300litres to save €6, minus €5 to pay for the trip and still save €1

its costing money, not saving it by anymeans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spongebobx

In my workplace there's a water filter installed to the kitchen sink and a colleague fills plastic bottles up and takes them home - every day!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

youre right thats so tight it was worthy of a 1st post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

I know a woman who is too mean to use the electricity in her oven, she will bake meringues in the hot press.

They need to be baked at a low temp for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Interesting fact about stingy people -

"They will always comment about you been tight if they spot ya doing anything stingy!" It's almost like their thinking about bein tight all the time!

This is so true as a mate of mine is so bad he goes round with no cash on him. Then out of the blue he'll be like "oh I've to go to the bank machine" (and us in the restaurant / cinema / anywhere already.) He actually owes people dinners after pulling this stunt - He always labels me tight at the first available opportunity! bet this happens you two!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement