Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a way to scam out of paying a tv license

Options
  • 14-07-2009 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

this debate is going on in work so i have decided to pick the AH brains (could be a mistake).

The question is - If you were to have and english sky box for example that does not have the RTE channels and you were to run the box off a computer screen and not a TV woudl you technically be exempt from having to pay a television license?

The way i see it is TV have the potentiel to pick up RTE as a terestrial channel through the aerial so thats why the say they can hit you with a TV license. But if you were using a computer screen would you not have to pay it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

You are not exempt as the Sky box has a tuner and is capable of receiving tv channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It has nothing to do with RTE (as a rule for what you must receive), it is a license to receive TV signals. So, no, your plan wouldn't work. In fact, there's already a move to license your PC also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Computer monitors do not need a licence..that's one way around it. Lotta people I know use these as they're TVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Plus if you have a computer with internet . It means you can download RTE player and you will pay the licence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    You are not exempt as the Sky box has a tuner and is capable of receiving tv channels.
    can you really tune ion RTE from a cardless sky box yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's not capable of displaying a picture though. It's basically a small PC with a tuner card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Live in a gated apartment complex?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Once you have any piece of equipment that is capable of recieving Tv channels you are meant to have a TV licence.

stevoman wrote: »

No you can't but the tv licence is not for receiving RTÉ. It is for having any tuner capable of receiving television channels. The Sky box has a tuner that is capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

stevoman wrote: »

It's got nothing to do with RTE beyond paying their salaries.

• Advertisement

No you can't but the tv licence is not for receiving RTÉ. It is for having any tuner capable of receiving television channels. The Sky box has a tuner that is capable.

ah i see. baxtards! if they wanted to be sencere about getting people to pay TV licenses they could at least have taken Ryan Tubridys smug feckin head out of the ad couldnt they!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Come up with an excuse they haven't heard of before. It might stump them.

But that's like saying you need a tv licence if you have the circuit board from a tv that has the tuner on it.

toiletduck wrote: »
    Live in a gated apartment complex?

no i live in a big fancy playboy house in g-g-g-galway with the promiscuous mother of some some person who uses boards.ie who is called toiletduck or something. :pac:

ScumLord wrote: »
    But that's like saying you need a tv licence if you have the circuit board from a tv that has the tuner on it.
    yeah but i think its having tv and the capability to get RTE from it. So i guess if you have a computer screen and any way of getting a reception of RTE onto it your fooked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Theres a very simple way to avoid the television license man - dont answer the door. If you dont answer the door they can send reminders to "the resident" but unfortunately "the resident" is not recognised by any court in any country (excluding Zambia and Mannon).

Its as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

pretend the telly is a microwave and have a recording of a chicken being cooked :pac:

Dinter wrote: »
    So the tuner is what your actually paying the licence for.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

kmick wrote: »
    Theres a very simple way to avoid the television license man - dont answer the door. If you dont answer the door they can send reminders to "the resident" but unfortunately "the resident" is not recognised by any court in any country (excluding Zambia and Mannon).

Its as simple as that.
    That's what I've done for many years. Don't open the door to strangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Yes I have added to your policy to include people I know. It saves time and money and allows you become a total recluse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

ffs talk about nonsense. Say you are getting ready to go out for some reason. It does happen. Knock at the door. I'm not expecting anyone. What do I do, answers the door on my way out or hide behind the sofa.

ffs talk about nonsense. Say you are getting ready to go out for some reason. It does happen. Knock at the door. I'm not expecting anyone. What do I do, answers the door on my way out or hide behind the sofa.
    "I don't live here" continue on your way out the door. Just don't look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Dinter wrote: »

"You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, you do require a licence if the computer is used together with any other apparatus to receive a signal."

Unless you have a TV card in your PC, you won't be required to get a TV licence to view RTE's webplayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Yes

Dont have a tv.

Simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Well, it's worked for me for the last 15 odd years, so I've saved about €2,400 and I've never hid behind a sofa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I wasn't aware that a Sky Box on it's own can tune in analogue TV signals. Any one I've seen has no coaxial connectors and so cannot be connect to a TV aerial. The only way I thought Sky could receive RTE was via a satellite.

KerranJast wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that a Sky Box on it's own can tune in analogue TV signals. Any one I've seen has no coaxial connectors and so cannot be connect to a TV aerial. The only way I thought Sky could receive RTE was via a satellite.

Who said anything about analogue television signals?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

have you not seen the add??
    they've heard all the excuses and none of them work:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

you dont even need a tv to get fined for not having a licence, an ariel or dish will suffice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement