Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spongebobx

hblock21 wrote: »
    One day when on a site visit with my boss, we were passing through a town and he pulls up. He got out and took two black bags out of the boot and shoved them into a bin on the footpath!

He got back into the car and said "I never miss an opportunity"!

Theres no bin collection at work and I guess he has none at home too.......

Theres plenty more stingy things he does also.

Aha! I know someone who did the same only to realise their husband had put
    their digital camera into a binliner to keep it dry whilst out and then threw in the boot............you know what happened next:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

greenfly wrote: »
    If the trip cost her €5 she would need to buy 300litres to save €6, minus €5 to pay for the trip and still save €1

its costing money, not saving it by anymeans
    Stingy people don't always make sense. They usually go for saving what they see directly go (i.e. an extra 3 cents at the pump) rather than what they don't see directly (like extra gas spent).

Even then they tend to act as if their time was worthless, which, if you're a working man, is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

Here's one.. One of my best mates didnt get us a wedding present... not even a card.. meet him regularly & he doesnt even have the good grace to be embarrassed!!

Speaking of stingy people, this guy just spent 14 years in jail for court contempt because he didn't want to pay his ex-wife http://www.loweringthebar.net/2009/07/lawyer-jailed-for-contempt-is-freed-after-14-years.html

A_SN wrote: »
    Speaking of stingy people, this guy just spent 14 years in jail for court contempt because he didn't want to pay his ex-wife http://www.loweringthebar.net/2009/07/lawyer-jailed-for-contempt-is-freed-after-14-years.html

He must have really hated her!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

He must have really hated her!!

Yea thats what i thought too

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭madonna123

Mont wrote: »
    he would pick up 2c if he saw it on the street

Im not stingy.. im acutally a little too giving.. but I always pick up change off the street. I have a jar at home for change.. everytime I find coppers I pocket them and pop them in the jar on my return home.. I counted it all out a few days ago.. €87!!!! thats after about 10 months of collecting odd coppers i find here n there! would u leave €87 on the street if u found it?????

madonna123 wrote: »
    Im not stingy.. im acutally a little too giving.. but I always pick up change off the street. I have a jar at home for change.. everytime I find coppers I pocket them and pop them in the jar on my return home.. I counted it all out a few days ago.. €87!!!! thats after about 10 months of collecting odd coppers i find here n there! would u leave €87 on the street if u found it?????
    lol, you must walk a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 geranimojess

sweetie wrote: »
    my dad tells a story from when he was younger and he was drinking with some friends and one of them was teetotal. When it came to his round he bought 4 fizzy oranges for them.

If 4pts of Orange were bought(equaling 4pts of Beer) he would end up paying more for his round.Its a well known fact that Publicans love Teetotalers.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

hblock21 wrote: »
    One day when on a site visit with my boss, we were passing through a town and he pulls up. He got out and took two black bags out of the boot and shoved them into a bin on the footpath!

He got back into the car and said "I never miss an opportunity"!

Theres no bin collection at work and I guess he has none at home too.......

Theres plenty more stingy things he does also.
    Thats a littering offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

Yes yes I would leave 87 yoyos on the street if it meant I had to scour the ground and collect 2 cent coins over the space of 10 months.

The doctors bill for your knackered back will be more than that anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

watna wrote: »
    Honestly, what can you do with someone like that?

Ditch them, no two ways about it.

I can't go visit my elderly aunts without them trying to force me to take half their pension home with me!
    I find that most old people are unbelievably mean. And are not shy about their mean-ness either.

There does seem to be a certain dichotomy alright, half of them would give ya the shirt off their backs, the other half wouldn't give ya the steam off their pi$$...strange one alright, and not confined to the Irish oul fella/biddy either.
    Would u leave €87 on the street if u found it?????

No, but a few points to note:

1. It'd only get wasted on garbage anyway
    2. That's the equivalent of just over 1c an hour...come on like!
    3. Id much prefer to be down €87 quid if owning said 87 quid involved bendin down like a clep for ten months pickin up coppers out of the gutter (rain/snow/dog pi$$/dogsh1t also being factors!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

housemate too mean to buy toilet paper... he used newspaper... didnt flush it tho, he threw it out the window. also, he worked out the price of 24 canes of coke which were on offer in dunnes, as cents per millilitre, offer wasnt good enough. €9 for 24 cans like!!!!!

i'm sorry but i've been laughing at that for 5 minutes,
    what was outside the window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Rej wrote: »
    Here's one.. One of my best mates didnt get us a wedding present... not even a card.. meet him regularly & he doesnt even have the good grace to be embarrassed!!

maybe he doesnt like ye as much as ye think he should.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Rej wrote: »
    Two of my groomsmen didn't give us a present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

cojomo2 wrote: »
    How about not hanging around with them anymore?When they have no mates they will start to wonder why and it will hit them. I hate pricks like that with a passion.

Unfortunately, I live abroad and our group of friends here are all my OHs friends, not really mine (although I'd consider some of them my friends now). I don't really have a say in telling everyone not to hang out with him any more. I certainly try and restrict my time with him but if we do things as a group, he's there. His stinginess is commented on regularly but he has a lot of issues and is a bit special so people are more likely to overlook it. Not me though, drives me mad and I point out that he owes money to people whenever I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

I'm unsure of whether this qualifies as stingy but here goes...
    My and my mate used to go the pub on a tuesday night, for 2 hours or so.. i'd usually buy the 1st round, x2 guinness or whatever.. i'd usually be quicker finishing than him, 20 mins or so. I'd be there staring into the pint glass, waiting for him to cop on. he'd finally go up and get his round in, drink it quicker, so i'd get the next round, then time would be called, and he'd be like right lets head so, after the 3..

Finally copped onto his antics fairly lively making sure he buys the 1st..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I hate when people get 19.99€ worth of petrol and hand me a 20 and then expect to get their cent back :\ if it was 20.01€ worth of petrol they wouldn't be expecting me to take their penny off them..........

And people who pick up pennies in front of me and pocket them, even though there's a huge charity box right on my counter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

KeyLimePie wrote: »

And people who pick up pennies in front of me and pocket them, even though there's a huge charity box right on my counter...

TBH that's NOT stingy. You're not obliged to give your change to the charity box. I'm not giving my change to St Anthony's whateveritis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

TBH that's NOT stingy. You're not obliged to give your change to the charity box. I'm not giving my change to St Anthony's whateveritis.

So what does someone do with pennies you find on a floor ?! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

spongebobx wrote: »
    In my workplace there's a water filter installed to the kitchen sink and a colleague fills plastic bottles up and takes them home - every day!:eek:

That's not been stingy, it's been clever.

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    I hate when people get 19.99€ worth of petrol and hand me a 20 and then expect to get their cent back :\ if it was 20.01€ worth of petrol they wouldn't be expecting me to take their penny off them..........

Really? That's stingy? I just don't think twice about it, I just wait for my change no matter how much it is. By the way I wouldn't pay a cent less than indicated either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

i hate when things are priced at €xx.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

They should get rid of the 1 and 2 cent coins and make all prices end in a 5 or 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

A_SN wrote: »
    Really? That's stingy? I just don't think twice about it, I just wait for my change no matter how much it is. By the way I wouldn't pay a cent less than indicated either.

To be honest your decent, plenty of people will ask to be let off 1 cent here 5 cent there, if they are sound i usually dont mind. The one that really does my head in is will you let me off the price of a bag, even though i can see they have tons of cash on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

A workmate of mine keeps a float of 10 and 20 cent coins to pay for cakes/leaving cards etc when people are leaving.

He owed me a tenner once, and told me he'd give it to me when he broke a twenty he had............that was on the monday, and he still hadn't broken the twenty by the friday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spongebobx

I heard that items are priced a xx.99 so that sales staff must register a sale to give you your change as opposed to you giving them money and they then pocket it. Don't know if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I heard that items are priced a xx.99 so that sales staff must register a sale to give you your change as opposed to you giving them money and they then pocket it. Don't know if it's true.

Not sure about that...because customers would need a receipt anyway so it would have to be registered.

I think its more a sales tactic....€19.99 looks cheaper than €20.00.

Recently, there was a Pound shop in the UK, then a "99p" shop opened across the road. Everyone flocked to the 99p shop...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Nah its just the marketing strategy, 9.99 is psychologically much less than 10.00.

If a sales staff had a pocked full of pennies he could pocket the money from the sale anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Doubt thats true, I presume its more a psychological thing, that you are buying said item for LESS than 30 euro (at 29.99) or whatever the price is. It sounds better is all. It does actually work, especially if your buying large items. When I looked at a Telly recently the price was 999.99 and I thought to myself, wow its less than a grand for 50 inche screen. Took a full second to remind myself that there is a cent difference.

Although I could stand corrected? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement