Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Shazforgrub

Not quite, it's a Celtic tiger (RIP) thing, back in the real world, people are starting to be careful with money again.

Nah there were allways ALLWAYS tight fcukers in Ireland, before, during and especially after the celtic tiger. There was always the opposite too, I'm always spending every penny I have, when I was a student, when I was on 'graduate assistance' and when I got a job.

I agree with the comment saying its a cultural thing, and a lot of people are afraid to look scabby, which is silly really, a lot of the time its just plain common sense to be frugal, you're not being a tight arse just by being sensible.

What I find very funny though is when you know a tight arsed person is screaming on the inside spending money but they don't want people to know they're a scabbly miser so they have to cough up, as in at a restaurant etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

had to pay €20.07 for petrol! SEVEN CENT! fooksake like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

You're absolutely right.

They shouldn't care about that 7 cent to anyone.

Say if.. I dunno, a thousand people come in, and they give 7 cent credit to everyone.

That's €70 right there.

also, your fault for not getting it exactly @ €20 :P Why should they pay for your mistakes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JMcCR

There was a texaco in Carlow that had a sign at the till

"€10.01 means €10.01"

Closed down now. Funny that. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I used to work in a petrol station when I was (a lot) younger and the boss used to take that 7 cents out of our wages. That was no fun when we were gettig paid 2.25 per hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

JMcCR wrote: »
    There was a texaco in Carlow that had a sign at the till

"€10.01 means €10.01"

Closed down now. Funny that. :rolleyes:

That texaco didn't close because of money issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

did ya ever put in €19.93 and wait for the change ?
    .... so you're the same as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Why would you put in €19.93??? Thats just daft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Bill-e wrote: »
    I tolded all our friends and everyone I meet that knows him this story. And I made up some sh!t about him also. hehe

Love it!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

ya, there's a girl working on the checkout in my local Supervalu and she's doing it too, I only noticed the other day when she swiped her card (attached to a bunch of keys) for a customer two in front of me, then the customer in front of me handed over her keys with her own card attached and the girl on the checkout swiped it and stuck the keys in her pocket by accident.. probably only a matter of time before she gets caught.

I just wonder why this has not picked up by fraud dept in the company. No one does multiple shops and puts thousands of points on their card every weekly infact it would look like this person spends all day shopping at the same till in the same supermarket

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

Tupins wrote: »
    we'd be afraid that people would think we are tight.
    Why? I for one advertise loud and clear that I'm broke as ****. Keeps the gold diggers off my **** :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Porkpie wrote: »
    any main dish with a mineral or glass or wine for €8.95 ... of course I gave a tenner
    :confused:
    €8.95 =/= €10
    Would they expect you to pay €10 for a meal that cost €11.05?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Why would you put in €19.93??? Thats just daft

maybe the odd person adds fuel till full. *d'uhh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

I worked for a certain phone network and a lad from scotland came in to the shop, he had a prepaid handset, said he sent a text, that never arrived and wanted he 12c back, customer care said that they couldnt see a problem but he refused to leave the shop till he got his 12c, ended up giving him it from loose change in my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

maybe the odd person adds fuel till full. *d'uhh*

No normal person would stop at €19.93 even if the fuel pump clicked off. YOu'd throw in the last 7 cent and round it up

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

In fairness, tips aren't obligatory in Ireland, are they?

Ah come on! Ok they're not, but with such great service, etc I would say most people would just round it up to 10 euro. Don't tell me you never tip after a meal out?

No normal person would stop at €19.93 even if the fuel pump clicked off. YOu'd throw in the last 7 cent and round it up

Nah!!! I don't want petrol on my shoes... :P

Porkpie wrote: »
    Ah come on! Ok they're not, but with such great service, etc I would say most people would just round it up to 10 euro. Don't tell me you never tip after a meal out?

I do tip yes (about 10 percent) but I don't think anyone should be pressured to do so. Especially if someone is going for one of these "bargain" deals. Perhaps they can't afford anything more expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭madra-rua

A person I know used to take their own teabag into the student canteen so that they wouldn't have to pay for a cup of tea :D

madra-rua wrote: »
    A person I know used to take their own teabag into the student canteen so that they wouldn't have to pay for a cup of tea :D

Ah the old charging for boiling water put a stop to that though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

ok.....so maybe you wouldnt put in €19.93 of petrol or diesel but if you bought stuff in tesco and it was €19.93 you'd wait for the change...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

I've done that before many times, you know that blue/green mould is disgusting but completely harmless (Its actually penicillin). Just cut the mould off.

Oops i'm allergic to penicillin! not quite harmless!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Ray Darcy show has something about it now. Switch on! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

I just remembered Peter! Peter was someone I used to work with and took stingeyness to new heights.

If Peter seen a discarded cigarette packed he would compulsively pick it up to check and see if anyone had left money in it - even if it was wet or covered in crap. He had never found money in a discarded cigarette packet, but knew someone who once kept their notes in their ciggie packet on a night out.

Peter would raid skips and hoard his finds. His yard was stacked with old wood and rubble, something he kept as he thought it would come in useful one day as ballast???

Peter never bought nails or screws, he would reuse the ones he extracted from wood in skips. This was despite the fact that they were impossible to work with as they were bent or rusty.

Rather than pay £10 for a cheap wallet, he fashioned his own out of plastic welded together with a soldering iron.

His sticking plasters comprised a bit of toilet tissue held in place with sticky tape.

He would ask work colleagues for their old underwear as he had no qualms about wearing it. He wasn't a fetishists, he genuinely did not want to spend money on new pants.

He collected cigarette butts of the street and reused the tobacco to make rollies.

He had it in his head the "Public House" meant he could sit in a pub without buying a drink and got angry when the bar staff suggested otherwise.

He would go the the cemetery in Derry, overlooking the Brandywell, with (borrowed) binoculars to watch Derry City games, rather than pay a few quid for a ticket.

He walked 1 hour to work and 1 hour home each day rather than buy a bus ticket.

He made his own sun screen by mixing cooking oil and baby oil (I'm not making this up).

The only beer in his hose was Steiger, which was cheaper than Tesco value, which he claimed he could get drunk on. He did not have a fridge.

As the week progressed the bread in his packed lunches would get mouldier (due to no fridge), but he had no qualms with cutting it off and eating it.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

We have a friend that is incredibly tight who I have mentioned before in this thread. He has a new habit of always being the first to leave when we're in a bar or restaurant. We all get food and drinks to the table, then has to rush off somewhere early and "forgets" to pay the bill - then someone else has to pay for him.

One of the girls brought it up in front of everyone recently. She said "you walked out without paying for your meal the other night" and he lied and told her "it was all sorted". The thing was she was the one who had paid for it and she hadn't received any money from him. He just shrugged said he'd buy her a drink next time they were out. A meal and drinks does not equal one glass of wine.

Honestly, what can you do with someone like that? He has no shame about it. I'd be so embarassed if people thought I was that tight. Luckily I've never been stupid enough to cover his portion of a meal. That's money you'll never get back... and we know he's the highest paid out of all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Omg! peter sounds hilarious. What a feckin miser!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

watna wrote: »
    We have a friend that is incredibly tight who I have mentioned before in this thread. He has a new habit of always being the first to leave when we're in a bar or restaurant. We all get food and drinks to the table, then has to rush off somewhere early and "forgets" to pay the bill - then someone else has to pay for him.

One of the girls brought it up in front of everyone recently. She said "you walked out without paying for your meal the other night" and he lied and told her "it was all sorted". The thing was she was the one who had paid for it and she hadn't received any money from him. He just shrugged said he'd buy her a drink next time they were out. A meal and drinks does not equal one glass of wine.

Honestly, what can you do with someone like that? He has no shame about it. I'd be so embarassed if people thought I was that tight. Luckily I've never been stupid enough to cover his portion of a meal. That's money you'll never get back... and we know he's the highest paid out of all of us.
    He knows what he's doing alright. :mad:
    It's usually the ones with the most money that are the tightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I think evereybody must know at least one Peter in their life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Wow! I've spent 4 days reading this entire post!!

So my 2 cents: I'm in melbourne at the moment and pop'd into a local 7/11 store, to get a tram ticket, there was a woman in the shop with a bread bag with 2 pieces left! - literally the heal and one slice! she claimed that the bread was blue moulded! and wanted a replacement - the guy behind the counter was looking at her as if she had 2 heads!

I kinda felt bad for her... but i got over it.. d tight arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

DamoDLK wrote: »
    there was a woman in the shop with a bread bag with 2 pieces left! - literally the heal and one slice! she claimed that the bread was blue moulded! and wanted a replacement - the guy behind the counter was looking at her as if she had 2 heads!

Don't you mean "2 breads"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement