Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I ask this question because im really interested, i mean if your on the dole and also Beg i assume they would make a good few bob per week, ive heard of professional beggars before but i dunno how much one could make per week from begging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I ask this question because im really interested, i mean if your on the dole and also Beg i assume they would make a good few bob per week, ive heard of professional beggars before but i dunno how much one could make per week from begging.

I'd say they're earning hundreds of thousands a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

SV wrote: »
    I'd say they're earning hundreds of thousands a year.
    Really? I mean, I've heard that many times before, but it's hard to believe someone could make that much money from a legal low-qualifications job like this, and then if they make that much money that's surely not thanks to me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

A_SN wrote: »
    Really? I mean, I've heard that many times before, but it's hard to believe someone could make that much money from a legal low-qualifications job like this, and then if they make that much money that's surely not thanks to me :pac:

Yeah, definitely*

* no :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

SV wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely*

* no :P
    Mmmh, that was sarcasm the whole time? Damn those things can be hard to pick up sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BeQuiet

My bro , whenever he's out with mates for a drink, is always the first to put his hand in his pocket , and keep it there.:(
    My dad reckons he still has his Communion money:D.

Sorry bro.:P

That is a GREAT line :

xxxxxx is always the first to put his hand in his pocket , ... and keep it there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 alipackers

Drinks with a mate in town. I got the first round. He asks for a pint of Erdinger I get a pint of Bulmers (dont drink beer) his round follows and he comes back with 2 Fosters!!! Fosters were on special for €3 that nite!!
    What the hell??!?? Abuse followed!!!

Sadly the exact thing happened with the same person on 2 separate occasions!!!

Stinge!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I shared a house wity 3 other guys in Galway a few years back.
    One Fri evening when I returned home from work, I heard a scraping noise coming from the back.
    One of the lads was shovelling the last bit of coal (which we all had paid for) from the bunker into a bag. I asked him what he was doing - he told me he was going home for the weekend, and was afraid that we would use the rest of the coal over the weekend, so he decided to bring it home with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Whenever anyone asks me for change I always say:

"No thanks, I am good for change."

or

"Yeah I have loads of change actually, thanks for asking."

Said that one night to a bum outside the The Temple Bar pub. The bouncer laughed his bollocks off and the bum told me I was a smart cnut...:D

Few years ago my boss who was Indian used to get his Father (who was in his late eighties)to go to the bank with the cash takings from the following day

One day i with him ,he was struggling up sth william st with his bag of cash in one hand and his walking stick in the other ,when a beggar comes up to him and says "any spare change mister?"

In his finest Indian accent he says"im very sorry sir i have only fifty pound notes!!" and cackles to himself all the way to the bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

alipackers wrote: »
    Drinks with a mate in town. I got the first round. He asks for a pint of Erdinger I get a pint of Bulmers (dont drink beer) his round follows and he comes back with 2 Fosters!!! Fosters were on special for €3 that nite!!

Similar thing happened to me. Was drinking is Messers Maguires. I got the first round, 2 x Heineken. His round followed, 2x home brew on special for €3 a pop. He was nearly wearing the pint!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

dilallio wrote: »
    I shared a house wity 3 other guys in Galway a few years back.
    One Fri evening when I returned home from work, I heard a scraping noise coming from the back.
    One of the lads was shovelling the last bit of coal (which we all had paid for) from the bunker into a bag. I asked him what he was doing - he told me he was going home for the weekend, and was afraid that we would use the rest of the coal over the weekend, so he decided to bring it home with him.

and would you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 electriks

We were supposed to get year books a few weeks ago but the school was too stingy to pay for the paper so bought the cheapest tesco cd-r's they could find and put the stuff on em for us...........

THEN they folded up bits of paper and used them as cases for the cd-r's n handed them out to us.........

Charged us €2 each for em... f*cking priceless:P

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dutchie_in_DUB

Ok Dutch people are known to be stingy but whatever happened at a Kriskindle party last year made me feel ashamed to even be Dutch or this person's friend.
    We were having a kriskindle party in a restaurant in town. Everybody brought nice presents and of course they were wrapped. No messing with gift-bags, but proper wrapping paper.. Anyway we had all unpacked our present, and at the end we left. So one of the girls had left her wrapping-paper on the table. What does my friend do, she says oh you leaving that paper here cause I will take it back then as I can use it for something else! 1. she told her with this that this was her kriskindle present to her 2. she wanted her wrapping paper back!!!
    Another thing she does, whenever we are out for dinners she will just order a small starter. So anyway she will go like oh I do not feel like eating a lot. Then when we are all finished she will eat the chips and have bites of others their food. So she wont have to pay a lot..
    And this girl has a good job ok.. so no need for her to be scabby and stingy!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

My uncle (Scottish) worked as a taxi driver.

His son fell out of a tree and broke his arm so my uncle brought him to A&E...... Then charged him the full fare!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I knew a girl that worked on the till in Tescos. Every time somebody bought something off her and didn't have a tesco clubcard she would swipe her own clubcard, thus amassing thousands of points.

She got away with it for ages and got loads of free things on the clubcard, but eventually got caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

A few lads glued a 2 euro coin in the middle of the pavement on UCD campus which is directly in front of the apartments. Loads of people tried to pick the coin up no on managed it. One lad stuck at it to no avail. he left disgruntled. Arrived back a short time later with a knife and frying pan and chipped the coin up. Now thats what you call persistence:eek::rolleyes:...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

My stingiest moment was when I won a giant Easter Egg in the local Easter Egg Bingo ( I come from a very boring, small town- it was the highlight of the year). I was so incredibly mean, I wouldn't share any with my siblings. I had tried to make it last so I ate it really slowly , it took days. One day, a tiny bit of the egg fell onto the kitchen floor. |I told my brother he could have that piece, and nothing else.

I was a horrible, horrible child. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

During my poverish college days i was going out with a girl. It was a saturday night and i explained to her i had no money to go out so she suggested she come over to mine and we stay in watch a video and have a few cans,, grand me thinks.
    She arrives and we go to the off licence , i didnt buy anything but she states "not to worry" . Anyway she buys 4 cans of Bulmers and i have just enough to buy a packet of popcorn.
    Back at my place i was waiting on "heres a can" ,,, but it never came !! she continued to drink the 4 cans of bulmers watching a video while she dipped her hand into my popcorn!!! (oh yeah on her 3rd can she did ask me if i wud like a sip !!)

Good for her!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I knew a girl that worked on the till in Tescos. Every time somebody bought something off her and didn't have a tesco clubcard she would swipe her own clubcard, thus amassing thousands of points.

She got away with it for ages and got loads of free things on the clubcard, but eventually got caught.
    Thats not stingy, thats just genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ya, there's a girl working on the checkout in my local Supervalu and she's doing it too, I only noticed the other day when she swiped her card (attached to a bunch of keys) for a customer two in front of me, then the customer in front of me handed over her keys with her own card attached and the girl on the checkout swiped it and stuck the keys in her pocket by accident.. probably only a matter of time before she gets caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I was at a buddies house once and left my mp3 player there. I forgot where I'd left it and assumed I'd lost it.
    He calls me a couple of weeks later and asks me if I had a charger for that type of mp3 player cause he'd bought one like it off ebay but it had no charger. I said no problem and gave it to him plus the few accessories I had gotten for it-for free.
    Couple of weeks later I'm in his house and see that he's not using it any more. Asked him if I could have it and he said I could if I gave him 30 euro. I gave him 20 and thought, era I got an ok deal there. Then I got home and examined my purchase more closely. Turns out the charger had the same serial number as the mp3 player. I'd just been ripped off double time buy the mean bastard!
    I tolded all our friends and everyone I meet that knows him this story. And I made up some sh!t about him also. hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Arrived back a short time later with a knife and frying pan and chipped the coin up.

I give up - why a frying pan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I never give to beggars on the street. I know people who work with the homeless & say that you are better to give the money to charity - beggars can earn up to a couple of grand a day...

Man, some people will LITERALLY believe anything :cool:

You're actually trying to tell us that a beggar can earn up to two THOUSAND euro in a day???

I'm sorry but that is complete bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Well usually they hold out a cup saying "Spare Change"

And then I go:

"No thanks, I'm good for change." or a simple "No thanks" thus I give they impression that they are offering me something.

Has anyone got any actual funny stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Shazforgrub

My girlfriends housemate once kept a packet of them snack-a-jack things with only two left, she put a peg on the bag and kept in her cupboard. She's the meanest thing going, and she's ****in loaded too, its always the way with tight-arses!

I know another girl who's mother keeps the scraps of food off peoples plates to use later, not for the dog mind you but for the family. Now fair enough you might say, if food is scarce food is scarce, but these people are millionaires, yer man is a banker/multiple property owner.

I could go on with other examples, such as neighbours who leave the car role down the hill to save petrol... you'd be here all day.

Does anyone else think Ireland has a disproportinate amount of tight arses or is it just the rest of us love to bitch about them so much??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Does anyone else think Ireland has a disproportinate amount of tight arses or is it just the rest of us love to bitch about them so much??!!

I think it's the latter - if it's one thing Irish people hate it's meaness.

In the states, it's perfectly acceptable to take away any uneaten food from your plate in a restaurant. (They use the term doggy bag). Here we'd be called scabs if we did that - even though we've actually paid for the food in question :confused:

Also, people in other countries would use money off coupons for groceries etc far more than we do here - again, we'd be afraid that people would think we are tight.

It's a cultural thing I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

There's a local Italian restaurant that does a really great lunch deal - any main dish with a mineral or glass or wine for €8.95. Food is lovely at such great value. It's a really classy restaurant with efficient, friendly waiting staff. Now myself and my mate went there recently and after enjoying a lovely meal went to the till to pay. Of course I gave a tenner, as any normal person would, but my scabby mate waited for the change back! And not only that, but he took two mint chocolates beside the 'tips' plate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Porkpie wrote: »
    There's a local Italian restaurant that does a really great lunch deal - any main dish with a mineral or glass or wine for €8.95. Food is lovely at such great value. It's a really classy restaurant with efficient, friendly waiting staff. Now myself and my mate went there recently and after enjoying a lovely meal went to the till to pay. Of course I gave a tenner, as any normal person would, but my scabby mate waited for the change back! And not only that, but he took two mint chocolates beside the 'tips' plate!
    In fairness, tips aren't obligatory in Ireland, are they?

Tupins wrote: »
    I think it's the latter - if it's one thing Irish people hate it's meaness.

In the states, it's perfectly acceptable to take away any uneaten food from your plate in a restaurant. (They use the term doggy bag). Here we'd be called scabs if we did that - even though we've actually paid for the food in question :confused:

Also, people in other countries would use money off coupons for groceries etc far more than we do here - again, we'd be afraid that people would think we are tight.

It's a cultural thing I think.

Not quite, it's a Celtic tiger (RIP) thing, back in the real world, people are starting to be careful with money again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I give up - why a frying pan?

He used it as a hammer to chip up the coin. Obviously he hadnt many blunt objects in his possession so the frying pan must of been his best bet.:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement