Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

i have a mate that has an agreement with the bar man at our local night club.

he gets a pint of their cheapest beer, i think its fosters..except he gets it in a heineken glass..so as not to appear cheap to potential lady friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭coralcathy

i was working in a holiday resort abroad and had a Dutch couple who were regular customers..........her dad also was with them.

anyway the couple landed to the beach one day without Papa.........

I say where is Papa?

Oh he got heartattack and died.............:eek:

my mouth opens and hits the ground and I ask why are you at the beach and WHERE is Papa.........and she replies that they had 3 days left and sure why go home early and Papa was in the "fridge" .......( in hospital)..............................:eek:

then off they pop to the sunloungers and put on the suncream and stayed there for the day..........................

Jesus I had goose bumps........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

worked in a shop near the market in Limerick for years. Its quite a big market, anyway whenever the market used to finish we would watch people come along and raid the bins. Yes, raid the bins for the crap that even the hawkers(selling gone off food etc) could not sell! This was way before any recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well, in fairness to the family, they'd probably just be depressed hanging about at home. Might as well mourn in a nice climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

coralcathy wrote: »
    i was working in a holiday resort abroad and had a Dutch couple who were regular customers..........her dad also was with them.

anyway the couple landed to the beach one day without Papa.........

I say where is Papa?

Oh he got heartattack and died.............:eek:

my mouth opens and hits the ground and I ask why are you at the beach and WHERE is Papa.........and she replies that they had 3 days left and sure why go home early and Papa was in the "fridge" .......( in hospital)..............................:eek:

then off they pop to the sunloungers and put on the suncream and stayed there for the day..........................

Jesus I had goose bumps........

What do you expect from the people who the slang for "everyone pays for their own dinner" was named after? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

javaboy wrote: »
    What do you expect from the people who the slang for "everyone pays for their own dinner" was named after? :p

In Belgiu, the Dutch are notorious for coming to dinner and not bringing any gifts. A terrible faux-pas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fourfiveone

I worked in a hotel on the main Cork-Dublin road for a few years. The place was owned by the father, managed by a son and the other siblings would help out, even the ones coming back from America for a fortnight would do a few days in the restaurant or bar and would demand an equal share of whatever tips had been given to others because customers would tip staff but not the family of the owner.

They were always at stuff like putting cheap spirits in the Smirnoff and Jameson bottles and switching them half-way through a function like a wedding reception.

One of the sons spotted a guy he'd been in boarding school with years before. The guy attending a function with his wife. The son chats with him for ages at the bar. All was going well until yer man goes to pay for his drinks. The old school friend puts £20 across the counter. When the son brought the change back he said 'I took back the fiver you owed me since school'.
    I saw this with my own eyes. Now yer man might have been tight for scrounging money off a lad in school but, in all fairness, would you be that bothered after all those years?

The best was when the old father refused to put ice in a pint glass for a customer paying for a bottle of cider because it had been in the fridge long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I used to work in Xtravision, one night I was serving a man and there happened to be 75 cents outstanding on his account.

I asked him would he like me to clear it off for him (as he casually drops his Jaguar keys on the counter) to which he replies, 'No, that would have been my wife that caused that, I'm not going to get stung for it'.

I was gobsmacked how he could be so ****ing tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

Seriously...

I worked in a clothes shop when at school. A lady approached me with a bag, receipt and BMW car keys and said her son bought these jeans (pointing to the bag) you had no pennys in the til so here is 99p can I have a pound? She handed me 1, 2 & 5ps No joke! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Schism wrote: »
    I used to work in Xtravision, one night I was serving a man and there happened to be 75 cents outstanding on his account.

I asked him would he like me to clear it off for him (as he casually drops his Jaguar keys on the counter) to which he replies, 'No, that would have been my wife that caused that, I'm not going to get stung for it'.

I was gobsmacked how he could be so ****ing tight.
    Hence why he has the jag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I know someone who almost exclusively wears a clothes that they got as freebies. T-shirts that were given away over the past decade with crates of beer or with radio competitions. Jackets that were obviously won in competitions because they've got logos for Arachnphobia and Batman on them (that clothes from that era are still being worn by a human being is a miracle in itself). I think they might also hold a record for the amount of mince consumed by the average person ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I was doing a farming course a few years ago. We used to be in the classroom in the mornings and going on farm walks in the evenings. One of the classmates always bummed a drive off other people in the class to get to the farms so that he wouldn't have to take his own car in case he might burn a drop of petrol. This went on for a year and a half until the rest of us got fed up with him bumming drives and never taking his own car so one evening a few of the classmates came back from the farm walk a little early and jacked his car up on blocks and hid the 4 wheels. Every day after that he went in his car to the farm walks but he never took any passengers. Was he a mean c**t or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 KellyG

Mont wrote: »
    Anyone notice that the meanest people are the rich ones - i have a mate whose family is loaded and the guy is the stingiest in the world - he would pick up 2c if he saw it on the street, always shops in the Somalia shop and is so proud when he picks up a top for under a tenner. One of the lads went shopping with him in Dunnes and he picked up a load of stuff but was too mean to pay the 22c for a bag so the 2 of them practically carried 15 items each for a half a mile

hahahahaha... thats gas.... :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

How about this for stingy the family next door used to come into us with a button and ask us to sew a shirt onto it

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

galwayrush wrote: »
    Once in a restaurant, 4 people at a table near us, three of them leave a tip at the table on leaving, last person at the table pockets tip without the rest noticing.

wow the amount of thanks that got! i think hte lightbulbs went off in everyone's head reading that one... ding ding ding!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

00112984 wrote: »
    Used to work with the meanest woman in the world. She was going to the shop one day and asked if any of us wanted anything. I wanted something (can't for the life of me remember what, we'll say a bottle of Coke) so gave her €1.20. She came back five minutes later Coke-less, gave me back my €1.20. Turned out the shop had put Coke up to €1.22 a bottle and she didn't want to spend €0.02 of her own money in case she wouldn't get it back off me. :rolleyes:

I know someone like that! We all wanted ice cream, it ended up being 10c more than what we gave her, she came back with one for herself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

for my 21st my god father said "here's €20, it's the last gift you will get off me ever"

stingy fúck, he would always forget my birthday. Wouldn't mind but the guy is minted. Now i know why... tight ass fooker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

My bro , whenever he's out with mates for a drink, is always the first to put his hand in his pocket , and keep it there.:(
    My dad reckons he still has his Communion money:D.

Sorry bro.:P

My brother does! He's 21 now! He has saved a ****load of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I'd imagine if I tried to not pay they'd get fairly angry.

hard to say, never tried fare dodging.

:pac: I wouldnt either, It can end two ways...

1) The Taxi driver locks the doors and drives you off to the Garda station..

2) He drives you all the way back to were you got picked up :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

Firetrap wrote: »
    I know someone who almost exclusively wears a clothes that they got as freebies. T-shirts that were given away over the past decade with crates of beer or with radio competitions. Jackets that were obviously won in competitions because they've got logos for Arachnphobia and Batman on them (that clothes from that era are still being worn by a human being is a miracle in itself). I think they might also hold a record for the amount of mince consumed by the average person ever.

Very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Local nightclub is getting a bit of a reputation for outright greed. There is sweet f-all going there anymore in any case.

They advertised that they would be letting people in for free before a certain time, say midnight or something. When it came to the night, the door was deliberately not opened until 12, when they saw the queue. The door of the club is in off the street, but a queue had formed out as far as the street. The people who had come, probably an hour or more earlier than usual, were made wait outside until the doors were opened, after the time free entry had been promised.

Call me crazy but, the cover charge is something like €9. All of the people would probably have spent that much in the extra time they would be in the club. The antics however ensured they had many angry customers who would not be inclined to return.

The previous management were known to be stingy, but that takes the biscuit. I have many other stories about the place, but I'd be here till daylight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

company organised a "team building dinner" they got informed there would be a 12% service charge,
    (Dublin city center nothing uncommon)

booked the thing anyway, and then my boss made a hughe scene about it after getting the bill.(while he knew well in advance!)
    after i went over to the waitress to apologise and say how deeply deeply imbarressed i was,
    we just kinda crawled out of the place unnoticed, and let him sort it out himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

There is a group tour in Australia you can do, called Fraser Island, where a few strangers (8-10 usually) hire out a jeep between them and camp on the island for 2days / 1 night.

Anyway at the end of the trip we had to pay the company an extra $64, so $8 each.

4 of the girls on the trip didn't have the cash that minute, so my friend loaned it to them, and they were going to give it back later when we were going out.

anyway on the way back to the hostel one of the girls struck up a conversation with my friend.

"Do you like weetabix?"
    "Yeah, not bad, why?"
    "Oh it is just I bought a large packet and I won't eat it, as don't like them, just wondering did you want it, rather than me throwing it out"
    "Yeah that would be great thanks"
    so she gives him the box of weetabix

later that night the girls arrive, 3/4 of them pay him the $8, the other girl hands him $3
    "Errm"
    "Oh, the weetabix cost me $5, so here is the rest"

Absolutely hilarious to watch, the girl was 100% serious, had no clue why everyone was laughing away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

The kind who always sit on their hands when the charity box went around the office.

That's me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

i was out one night with boyfriend and x, i wasnt drinking alcohol and asked my boyf for non alcholic beverage when he was getting his round in, x ran up and said i had changed my mind and i wanted a pint bottle of bulmers, boyf came back and x denied it and drank hers and "mine" and boyf had to go up and get me another one! (i told him not to bother but...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

I had a friend who would wait until everyone had bought him a round in the pub then leave.

His first Xmas with one of his girlfriends he bouth her a 5 pack tester perfume set from Boots... When she produced a TV for him he lied and told her he also planned to take her to Paris he was so embarrassed. Though she didn't get that trip for nearly another 12 months.

He was like the Cavan man who was in court for having sex with a cat...

...The Judge said it was the first time a Cavan man had ever been accussed of putting anything in a Kitty:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

messygirl wrote: »
    i was out one night with boyfriend and x, i wasnt drinking alcohol and asked my boyf for non alcholic beverage when he was getting his round in, x ran up and said i had changed my mind and i wanted a pint bottle of bulmers, boyf came back and x denied it and drank hers and "mine" and boyf had to go up and get me another one! (i told him not to bother but...)

same night x was getting a taxi to our place from train station instead of bus, sat in back and when arrved at house said"sure we have the taxi now we may as well go to the pub" ended up getting her journey for free and hopping out leaving us to foot bill

on way home (all this in same night!) taxi came to thirty we all put 10 in, x gave a twenty and wanted her change before we even got out of the bloody taxi and wouldnt get out of taxi until she had the change!

same x at christmas on rounds, last round of night (always keeps up until you get a bit tipsy then starts getting mixed up) her round she said she was short a fiver, gave her a tenner she didnt give back change until i asked for it. we had both gone out with 50 for the night and i had 10 change so i knew she should have some as well and lo behold she had a twenty in her wallet after swearing blind she didnt have any! grrrr i know shes not loaded but if you dont want to stick to rounds dont get in them!

Hope you don't still hang around with her :eek: That's brutal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

jayteecork wrote: »
    When I was working in a bar in Cork I spilled a bowl of sugar cubes all over the floor. this was when we were cleaning up and everyone left.

The owner made me pick them up and put them back in the bowl, lol.

That the Cotton Ball or Reidy's was it? I could see Maura insisting on that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

Vinta81 wrote: »
    My brother does! He's 21 now! He has saved a ****load of money!

How much? (Yes, I am very nosy!) :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

we're related so will be deleting this in a while in case anyone sees but just thought ild share :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement