Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Motorist wrote: »
    Another mate of mine turned off his freezer during the freeze two years ago. He put his frozen food in a black bin bag and left it outside the back door of his house. That same mate never buys toilet roll either - he just jumps in the shower and rinses himself down after taking a barry white.

One of the funniest sentences on boards.
    Putting his frozen food into a black sack and leaving it outside is genius as well as stingey I think.
    Also never heard a ****e referred to as a barry white.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I am currently in a bar on amsterdam. In the bar they are charging 50c to go to the jacks if you buy a drink or not. Because the guy who works here is so scabby he followed me and a friend to the turnstile to the bathroom so we don't go through together !! This is the worst I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I am currently in a bar on amsterdam. In the bar they are charging 50c to go to the jacks if you buy a drink or not. Because the guy who works here is so scabby he followed me and a friend to the turnstile to the bathroom so we don't go through together !! This is the worst I have ever seen.

Illegal in Ireland is to do that thinks me!

illegal not on Amsterdam??

hypermuse wrote: »
    Illegal in Ireland is to do that thinks me!

illegal not on Amsterdam??

It's common practice in Belgium too. In bars and some restaurants, it's not uncommon to have to pay "Madame Peepe" 50 cent to use the jacks even though you're a customer.

Went to 1 nightclub and it was 10 euro entry, plus 50 cent every time you needed to piss. Read my thread in ranting and raving entitled "Silly, Silly Belgians". In short, Belgians are *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Plazaman wrote: »
    Saw 3 French Tourists do this once in the local. Took up a prime seat near the fire and beside musicians one night. Spent about half an hour taking coats off, arranging seats general noise making whilst musicians were playing then one comes to the bar, orders a pint of Guinness and brings it back to table. They each took turns taking a sip out of it. What annoyed me more was they took out books and started reading ignoring the musicians who the majority were there to see. Took them a hour to drink the Guinness which I can only assume was by then warm and half made up of backwash.

Thankfully the barman basically told them to fúck off when they tried to order another pint. Bord Failte be damned.

This reminds of the time we were on a family holiday in Kilarney, well over 15 years ago. We were in the pub one night and 3 Americans walked in and ordered a pint of guinness between them, my dad had gone to the bar twice and they were still sipping on the same one.

Dad was getting fairly annoyed watching them at this stage so he got up, ordered 3 pints and slammed them on the table in front of them and says "couldnt watch ye any longer ye tight f*****rs" to which one replies"oh wow i just love the rish hospitality, thank you evvvvverrr sooo muuuuuuuch"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Illegal in Ireland is to do that thinks me
    there was a charge to use the jacks in stevens grn sc last time i was in there.. (years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Squ wrote: »
    there was a charge to use the jacks in stevens grn sc last time i was in there.. (years ago)

yea they still do that I'm pretty sure! that's just being stingy n an attempt to curb drug use there I'd imagine!

But in Ireland I'm pretty sure there is a legal requirement to provide toilet facilities if you are providing a sitting-in service(?? cant think of the word). eg a restaurant has to provide toilets!!

Charging for use of the service just sounds absurd! Maybe we should just stop talking bout it in case publicans in Ireland get word of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

There's a coin slot in Arthur's Quay in Limerick for the lavatories. Never seen someone sitting behind the desk, but if they really expect people to pay, that is lousy.

Squ wrote: »
    I actually quite like it though, you only pay 20c and the facilities are quite nice, really clean, plenty of cubicles, never out of toilet paper. If paying bothers you, just pop down the road to MacDonalds, that's what I do when I don't have 20c, but if I have the money I'd always choose the shopping centre, it's pretty nice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

yea they still do that I'm pretty sure! that's just being stingy n an attempt to curb drug use there I'd imagine!

But in Ireland I'm pretty sure there is a legal requirement to provide toilet facilities if you are providing a sitting-in service(?? cant think of the word). eg a restaurant has to provide toilets!!

Charging for use of the service just sounds absurd! Maybe we should just stop talking bout it in case publicans in Ireland get word of it!
    If you show a receipt you get in free :)

Yes, I'm stingy enough to have found that out, and what :D

(theyre not always clean either...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ladycam

I worked with a girl yrs ago who would bring a batch of her Mammys bread down from Donegal. She would be eating it all week long, cutting off the mould by the end of the week. She would only buy the food that was about to go off in Tescos, didnt matter how green & shiny it was!

One girl came in on her day off, to find this scabby cow wearing her shoes!
    We also caught her one day smelling a pair of tights that she had found on the floor, (feet & crotch:eek:) to see if she could get a wear out of them.
    Thing is, they weren't even her tights, bleuggh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

ladycam wrote: »
    One girl came in on her day off, to find this scabby cow wearing her shoes!
    We also caught her one day smelling a pair of tights that she had found on the floor, (feet & crotch:eek:) to see if she could get a wear out of them.
    Thing is, they weren't even her tights, bleuggh

Yeuch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

ladycam wrote: »
    I worked with a girl yrs ago who would bring a batch of her Mammys bread down from Donegal. She would be eating it all week long, cutting off the mould by the end of the week. She would only buy the food that was about to go off in Tescos, didnt matter how green & shiny it was!

Mammys bread is the nicest in the world. I'd bring a supply with me as well :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Dan133269 wrote: »
    It's common practice in Belgium too. In bars and some restaurants, it's not uncommon to have to pay "Madame Peepe" 50 cent to use the jacks even though you're a customer.

Went to 1 nightclub and it was 10 euro entry, plus 50 cent every time you needed to piss. Read my thread in ranting and raving entitled "Silly, Silly Belgians". In short, Belgians are *****.

Yeah, I was in a club in Brussels a few weeks back where you paid €5 in and then 40c to use the toilets, or get unlimited use of them (for the night) for €1. You basically had to decide whether or not you thought you'd need to go twice more in the next few hours :P Membership of the toilets! Made me laugh anyway. You also got given a sweet wrapped in plastic once you'd paid up... I didn't eat it...

But I still love the Belgians though :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Dan133269 wrote: »

Joseph Fritzl sums up the Belgian culture and people for me perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Wasn't that Austria? Free entry to their toilets... not free to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You mean the Austrian guy from that Austrian family from that famous imprisonment/incest/rape case that happened entirely in Austria?
    Fail

Paparazzo wrote: »
    You mean the Austrian guy from that Austrian family from that famous imprisonment/incest/rape case that happened entirely in Austria?
    Fail

Thanks for the correction, seems my otherwise cogent statement falls down on that slight inaccuracy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Thanks for the correction, seems my otherwise cogent statement falls down on that slight inaccuracy :rolleyes:

We'll let you off on that one. You were only 500 miles away. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

The Belgians had a pedo scandal too I think which was all over the news. I won't google it as it will do nothing for my positive mental attitude tonight and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

An ex friend of mine would give up cigs and take up rollies to save money- she'd complain about them none stop, unable to roll them. I'd offer to roll them for her of put or whatever and she'd snipe back oh just give me a cig. She'd make you feel like the tight wan and always get a cig. One of the many many stories I have off this wan!! Eat all our food in the gaff while we were working and again if you left your cigarettes at home they're be gone..... Unless I took an early lunch and was home at twelve or one to get them before she woke. Friendship lasted way longer than it should have but eventually I copped on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Slight inaccuracy? Suppose you hate Belgians because Hitler was from there too. :pac:

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Slight inaccuracy? Suppose you hate Belgians because Hitler was from there too. :pac:

I said so jokingly, I mixed the countries up and mixed him up with Marc Dutroux. I accept Belgium is a different country to Austria. I find both countries odd. In relation to Fritzl, it was more the result of individuals and symptomatic of society looking the other way, which is not a problem unique to them.

Switzerland's conduct in WW2 was reprehensible and it has spent its entire history looking the other way. Even today, the survival of many dictators today is dependent on the fact the country takes money from them with no questions asked. France allowed Duvalier "Baby Doc" on to its territory, also Jean-Bedel Bokassa. The USSR never recognised the Katyn Forest massacre, Japan is still in denial about it's barbaric behaviour towards Korean women and is unwilling to confront it's role in WW2. China's behaviour in Zimbabwe, Burma, Angola, Zambia, North Korea has been appalling. The US has kept the Argentinian Junta, Stroessner, and Somoza in power post war, etc.

I think Fritzl and Marc Detroux could have happened in alot of countries. Im not sure if it's valid ascribing some underlying national malaise to individual cases, even if the systematic failures involved in both have striking similarities.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I said so jokingly, I mixed the countries up and mixed him up with Marc Dutroux. I accept Belgium is a different country to Austria. I find both countries odd. In relation to Fritzl, it was more the result of individuals and symptomatic of society looking the other way, which is not a problem unique to them.

Switzerland's conduct in WW2 was reprehensible and it has spent its entire history looking the other way. Even today, the survival of many dictators today is dependent on the fact the country takes money from them with no questions asked. France allowed Duvalier "Baby Doc" on to its territory, also Jean-Bedel Bokassa. The USSR never recognised the Katyn Forest massacre, Japan is still in denial about it's barbaric behaviour towards Korean women and is unwilling to confront it's role in WW2. China's behaviour in Zimbabwe, Burma, Angola, Zambia, North Korea has been appalling. The US has kept the Argentinian Junta, Stroessner, and Somoza in power post war, etc.

I think Fritzl and Marc Detroux could have happened in alot of countries. Im not sure if it's valid ascribing some underlying national malaise to individual cases, even if the systematic failures involved in both have striking similarities.

I'm not sure how this is valid to the thread?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

you're all being stingy with your stories now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My boss won't get towels or hand dryers, we have to dry our hands with loo roll. When that runs out she puts a little pile of Kleenex in there.

I can't really decide if she's too stingy to buy a towel or just scummy. Probably both.

psychward wrote: »
    The Belgians had a pedo scandal too I think which was all over the news. I won't google it as it will do nothing for my positive mental attitude tonight and tomorrow.

Yes, Marc Dutroux as Motorist pointed out. For anyone that's interested, do some research on this case and you will see that lots of people at the highest level in Belgium i.e. police, politicians, businessmen, all helped to cover up this case of one of the most brutal child rapists of all time. This was within the last 20 years.
    kylith wrote: »
    My boss won't get towels or hand dryers, we have to dry our hands with loo roll. When that runs out she puts a little pile of Kleenex in there.

I can't really decide if she's too stingy to buy a towel or just scummy. Probably both.

In our secondary school, we sometimes didn't have toilet paper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Don't try to defend it... Don't even come back here... They will devour you! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

From the Irish Independent today:
    A GP has revealed how a patient who had missed the last bus claimed he had chest pain in order to get an ambulance to bring him home.

Dr Ken Egan, a family doctor in Ballindine, Co Mayo, said the case was among a growing number he was encountering where people were abusing the health service.

The man missed the bus from Mayo to Roscommon and hoped to get there in an ambulance.

"I got the call from the man complaining of chest pain. I said he should go to the hospital in Castlebar but he said he wanted to be taken to Roscommon. I said that is not possible, you are in Mayo," Dr Egan told the annual meeting of the Irish Medical Organisation (IMO).

"It turned out he had missed the last bus to Roscommon and was going to get home by ambulance. He went to the hospital in Castlebar and was discharged at 2am, when he demanded a taxi to return to Roscommon."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement