Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

He wasn`t using it all day, seemingly just when he felt like treating himself to some heat for a few minutes.

The Fool. He could have made toast at the same time as he warmed himself. And if he was really smart he could have boiled an egg inside an electric kettle at the same time as making coffee ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

psychward wrote: »
    The Fool. He could have made toast at the same time as he warmed himself. And if he was really smart he could have boiled an egg inside an electric kettle at the same time as making coffee ;)
    you put the kettle on the toaster ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If its made of plastic, you'd ruin both.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The neighbours used to have toilet paper drying on the washing line.
    "used to" you say

did you nick it ?

[should be in the nostalgia thread those jokes are soooo old]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Not sure as to how stingy this is, but I knew a Polish fella, great guy. He told me that he didn`t pay for heating, he just turned a toaster on it`s side and used it to keep himself warm.

I have a feeling he was taking the piss outta you. Poland has temperatures of -30 every winter and electricity is more expensive than gas there. I think he would have known that using the toaster for heat wasn't saving money!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

retalivity wrote: »
    Can you imagine?
    "Alright, ive been a good boy today, managed to only spend 30c on food, on a bun that was going off in dunnes. Found 50c on the street as well, so im up for the day! Time to celebrate by lying down beside my toaster for 5 minutes for some of its glorious glorious heat"

As long as you don't use 20 cents worth of electricity.

You could do that if your stingy system was ''kettle based'' but it would have to be a metal kettle. If you accidentally or on purpose electrocute yourself unconscious then you shouldn't feel the cold at night and it's win win. You can also wake up with some boiled eggs for breakfast.Alternatively for the truly committed it's really cheap to be dead. Imagine the savings on things like shoes etc. In fact it's tax free. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

"used to" you say

did you nick it ?

[should be in the nostalgia thread those jokes are soooo old]
    I'm ashamed to answer that. The eighties were tough times :( and we did what we had to do :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Annamander

I've now read this whole thread (I know, I'm underemployed) and there are definite themes:

People being stingy on dates.

People being stingy about rounds in pubs.

Idiots in offices nicking stuff/refusing to pay for canteen food/ refusing to donate to collections

People showing up to parties with their hands hanging or going on trips and not giving any petrol money

Flatmates who are stingy/kleptos

The "should you take 1 cent change in shops" saga

Have I missed any?

For some reason I have loads of work stinginess stories but the worst was someone in my sister's office who was nicking stuff out of the canteen fridge. Mostly people's lunches but also groceries. One person had a whole barbecue chicken set from M&S nicked. The weirdest was when they stole the meat out of someone's ham sambo and put the remains back!

They reckon it was someone senior cos it stopped after the January monthly payday and only people over a certain grade there get paid monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Motorist wrote: »
    Joseph Fritzl sums up the Belgian culture and people for me perfectly.

Unfortunately that statement sums up a certain stereotype of Irish culture and people perfectly too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Dan133269 wrote: »
    It's common practice in Belgium too. In bars and some restaurants, it's not uncommon to have to pay "Madame Peepe" 50 cent to use the jacks even though you're a customer.

Went to 1 nightclub and it was 10 euro entry, plus 50 cent every time you needed to piss. Read my thread in ranting and raving entitled "Silly, Silly Belgians". In short, Belgians are *****.

I've lived in Belgium and I haven't encountered this. I didn't go to clubs there, but I've been in loads of cafes, restaurants and bars and I've never been asked to pay to use the bathroom.

Also 10 Euro entry is pretty common in Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MellowToast

red head chick here in college in dundalk, takes tea bags in with here, uses up loads of the free milk and cups. they started to charge her for the cups and milk now XD

believes lifts are free, but the honey her mother makes is for selling instead of maybe giving the person who gives her a lift to and from college a free sample even.

fooled a foreign into believing that were all scabs and we dont give people money for petrol...that changed when i told the one that wasn't normal behavior

they started to charge her for the cups and milk now XD

Stingy but not smart if she doesn't have a travel mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

asked my brother to get me a bottle of coke from the shop, he got me the small 350ml bottle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

asked my brother to get me a bottle of coke from the shop, he got me the small 350ml bottle

Miserable c**t. Hope you punched him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

On my way into the offo the other night , a very well dressed man ran in front of me and dived under a parked car for a ten pence that was on the ground under it.
    He looked at us , winked then jogged off.
    He was probably more crazy than stingy though . My mate reckons he traded it in for three two cent coins and went off to play nearest to the wall by himself.

I know someone who uses his old presumably prelaundered underpants to clean the windows. Stingy or genius ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Growing up, the towels my mother got for her wedding had a long and varied 30 year life:

1.the good towels
    2.the baby's towel
    3. the everyday towels
    4. the swimming towels
    5. dust sheets for painting
    6. clothes
    7. soakage clothes under flowerpots

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Growing up, the towels my mother got for her wedding had a long and varied 30 year life:

1.the good towels
    2.the baby's towel
    3. the everyday towels
    4. the swimming towels
    6. clothes
    I have a feeling number 6 should be cloths. If she made you wear them as clothes that's extra stingy!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I have a feeling number 6 should be cloths. If she made you wear them as clothes that's extra stingy!!

maybe she was a roman emperor in a past life

1.the good towels
    2.the baby's towel
    3. the everyday towels
    4. the swimming towels
    6. clothes
    maybe she was a roman emperor in a past life

His childhood was a 24/7 Toga party.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

i've a friend he's 21 never evan got a provisional lience always asking for lifts and needs to be shot gun at that my car is lowered and will not make it up his lane id make an attempt now and again but i've never evan seen a cent of diesel money nights the car is full as im droping other people of they throw something in the ash tray just to say thanks i dn't care if its even a euro ! just smething as an exnolagement. as he's geting out he just taps the roof of the car and slams the door behind him in a bad humer cause he's not getin to the door

we both smoke and he's all the time scabing fags aswell
    one day we were with someone else in there car i left my fags behind me asked him for one his reply to me was **** of i've only a couple left i was goin to give it back to him when we came back to my car !

as a group of friends were not to bad but it seems to be with every group theres allways one w****r :rolleyes:

1.the good towels
    2.the baby's towel
    3. the everyday towels
    4. the swimming towels
    6. clothes

That's not stingy, that's getting the full use out of something.

I'm assuming "the good towels" were replaced by some new ones to continue the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

That's not stingy, that's getting the full use out of something.

I'm assuming "the good towels" were replaced by some new ones to continue the cycle.

Unless, of course, they're paper towels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 _Moss_

My sister was telling me about this guy years ago who would run to the shop each time he'd to shower and squirt some shampoo/shower gel into his hand and run back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

_Moss_ wrote: »
    My sister was telling me about this guy years ago who would run to the shop each time he'd to shower and squirt some shampoo/shower gel into his hand and run back home.

your sister has to be talking bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

If a shop was so lax it'd let him do that, may as well nick the bottle.

_Moss_ wrote: »

One time I sprayed deodorant in a shop. We were buying drinks before a houseparty and I just out of the shower and forgot to spray at home. Wouldn't do it now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

My granny used to buy the big bottles of brown and red sauce and when they were almost empty she used to add some hot water and give it a shake. She would get another week or two from the bottles then. Horrible watery red sauce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement