Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Sykk wrote: »
    Don't try to defend it... Don't even come back here... They will devour you! :pac:

Yeah I mixed it up with Austria. I accept he was Austrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Dan133269 wrote: »

In our secondary school, we sometimes didn't have toilet paper!

We had to bring our own toilet-roll in primary school! And this was pre-recession (1999-2003). I don't know if it was stinginess or ensuring that people didn't TP the bathrooms... but I have no idea how they got away with it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

We had to bring our own toilet-roll in primary school! And this was pre-recession (1999-2003). I don't know if it was stinginess or ensuring that people didn't TP the bathrooms... but I have no idea how they got away with it...

Probably because people like my mate robbed toilet roll from schools, universities, public offices for years. He's the reason you get one sheet of paper at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

shancoduff wrote: »
    From the Irish Independent today:
    The doctor was on the radio today talking about it. The guy actually got his taxi paid for him :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Annamander

My friend's brother-in-law used to have to come up to Dublin for work (he lives in Galway and has a well-paid job) and he'd always stay with her and his brother. He never brought anything even though they were putting them up, not even a bottle of wine.

One time he came, he had a new girlfriend so he brought her to stay too and brought a bottle of dessert wine and some chocolates. It was a Tuesday night so they didn't get around to having the wine etc but my mate was gobsmacked that he'd brought a present at all. She thought this was evidence that he was getting a life and not being a massive stinge..

Next day, they leave while my mate and her husband are at work. She gets home to find that the wine and the chocolates are gone (they were put away in two separate presses) and the box they came in is gone from the cardboard recycling.

She watches him like a hawk now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

shancoduff wrote: »
    From the Irish Independent today:

Jesus! They should have named and shamed that man :mad:

Keep thinking of more examples of stinginess:

Girl I worked with from Cavan once went into a takeaway up there at four am, hammered, and ordered a pizza. Even in her sozzled state, she noticed that they were charging her 20 cent extra for cheese, and called them on it.

Guy I went on a blind date with once had no money to pay for his share of the bill - muggins here paid it. He then rang me up a few days later and asked me out again - I said this time bring your wallet. He hung up, the fecker!

My grandad would eat gone-off food or even stuff burned to a crisp rather than throw it out. He wouldn't give you 20 cent, yet he'd give you 2 grand if you badly needed it. So he was cheap, but only with the little things.

Lastly, a friend whose dad is loaded used to try every trick in the book to pay only 5 quid for a taxi home, even insisting everyone else get dropped off first so she'd end up with all the rounded-up money....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Out Of The Night

A friend of mine is the queen of stinge! Two jobs even though one of them is a well paid public sector position. She drinks water on a night out if she doesn't feel like alcohol. Would rather walk for miles in a thunderstorm than pay for parking. This girl drives me crackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A friend of mine is the queen of stinge! Two jobs even though one of them is a well paid public sector position. She drinks water on a night out if she doesn't feel like alcohol. Would rather walk for miles in a thunderstorm than pay for parking. This girl drives me crackers.
    Nothing wrong with that tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Out Of The Night

You can't take it with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Annamander wrote: »

Girl I worked with from Cavan once went into a takeaway up there at four am, hammered, and ordered a pizza. Even in her sozzled state, she noticed that they were charging her 20 cent extra for cheese, and called them on it.

Well if they were trying to overcharge her when she was p1ssed I say far play to her. Which also makes the pizza people thieving cnuts.
    Guy I went on a blind date with once had no money to pay for his share of the bill - muggins here paid it. He then rang me up a few days later and asked me out again - I said this time bring your wallet. He hung up, the fecker!

That's hilarious! :pac:

That's hilarious! :pac:[/QUOTE]

They're out there - and they seem normal til the bill comes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

She wanted tp know why she was paying extra - i'd do the same
    Guy I went on a blind date with once had no money to pay for his share of the bill - muggins here paid it. He then rang me up a few days later and asked me out again - I said this time bring your wallet. He hung up, the fecker!....

what's wrong with that ? why should he had to pay the full bill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

SunnyDub1 wrote: »

He didnt pay his share.

what's wrong with that ? why should he had to pay the full bill ?[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I was happy to go halves. But instead I ended up paying for him too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

SunnyDub1 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I was happy to go halves. But instead I ended up paying for him too!

That is stingy, so don't read to much into the below yourself

Now what do people think of women who go on first dates and expect to be paid for? Social norm or stingy (both having jobs etc)

He didnt pay his share.

Don't get me wrong, I was happy to go halves. But instead I ended up paying for him too![/QUOTE]

Ohhhh right apologies .... Read it wrong.
    Maybe he genuinely forgot tho ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Since when did the quote function stop working?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Newaglish wrote: »

Did it? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

phill106 wrote: »
    Did it? :P

Not that I know of............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Well no, but about four people before me seem to have forgotten how to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Now what do people think of women who go on first dates and expect to be paid for? Social norm or stingy (both having jobs etc)

if you're a guy...and you're asking...you don't get many second dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

there was one of the quotes above thats wrong somehow .... happened to me there too...

Stop trying to be funny/smart - it's not happening for you :rolleyes:
    Simply error

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

If you ask someone on a date you should offer to pay the bill, regardless of sex (I mean male/female)
    Its nice however if the other person offers to pay their share.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Kolido wrote: »
    If you ask someone on a date you should offer to pay the bill, regardless of sex (I mean male/female)
    Its nice however if the other person offers to pay their share.

This. The "host" always offers to pay everything, but in most cases they shouldn't be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If one person puts in an unbalanced [noparse]
    [/noparse] and people quote that post, the quoting post will also have an unbalanced [noparse]
    [/noparse]

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Polochlainn

When I was a student one sunday we were so broke we couldn't afford jacks roll so we ended up finding some imodium in the gaff and popped two pills each and hey presto problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

There's a coin slot in Arthur's Quay in Limerick for the lavatories. Never seen someone sitting behind the desk, but if they really expect people to pay, that is lousy.

There does be somebody there. You're lucky that she was gone for a fag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Dan133269 wrote: »

In our secondary school, we sometimes didn't have toilet paper!

I'll say nothing :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement