Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

People going into a bookies for free coffees and hot chocolates with no intention of placing bets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

People going into a bookies for free coffees and hot chocolates with no intention of placing bets

Well the drinks and biscuits in bookies is a well planned ploy to keep you there for the day and away from the wife . Its a disgrace and Im happy someone is taking advantage , gamblings bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

try and screw the bookies as much as you can is my opinion, they're like legalised drug dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

have you ever seen a broke bookie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

allanb49 wrote: »
    have you ever seen a broke bookie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Yates#Business_career

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

touché :pac:

but

He receives annual pension payments of €74,836 from his time in politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

allanb49 wrote: »
    touché :pac:

but

He receives annual pension payments of €74,836 from his time in politics.

As a bookie he is broke. His other incomes don't factor here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

As a bookie he is broke.
    I'd say it takes a special kind of businessman to manage that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Had a very awkward date recently where a guy I've been seeing for a while made a big deal about treating me to dinner (after I'd already cooked him two dinners at my place). We arrived at a rundown Asian restaurant, despite the fact that I'd already told him that Asian food tends to make me sick, and the minute I picked up the menu he told me not to bother and pulled out a meal coupon which stated the dish which was on offer. He made a big fuss to make sure the waiter accepted it at the start, waving around the printed off sheet in what was a really small restaurant, while everyone around us looked on rather bemused. He then nearly lost the plot when he discovered that the coupon only covered our starters, and demanded the waiter bring it back to him so he could inspect its terms and conditions again, before grudgingly coughing up something like 25 euros. Embarrassing doesn't even cover it...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Meow_Meow wrote: »
    Had a very awkward date recently where a guy I've been seeing for a while made a big deal about treating me to dinner (after I'd already cooked him two dinners at my place). We arrived at a rundown Asian restaurant, despite the fact that I'd already told him that Asian food tends to make me sick, and the minute I picked up the menu he told me not to bother and pulled out a meal coupon which stated the dish which was on offer. He made a big fuss to make sure the waiter accepted it at the start, waving around the printed off sheet in what was a really small restaurant, while everyone around us looked on rather bemused. He then nearly lost the plot when he discovered that the coupon only covered our starters, and demanded the waiter bring it back to him so he could inspect its terms and conditions again, before grudgingly coughing up something like 25 euros. Embarrassing doesn't even cover it...

Actually think this is the most cringe worthy story I've read. Lets hope you taught him a lesson by not putting out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    Actually think this is the most cringe worthy story I've read. Lets hope you taught him a lesson by not putting out.

Ah now don't be stingy

The worst thing is that he still got lucky that night...!!
    I really need to learn to be more assertive .... I actually had to ask my friends' advice before I came to the fully realisation that it was not cool... :S

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

would have left him to argue with the waiter and gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

All things considered...

*PMs phone number to Meow_Meow*

Ficheall wrote: »
    All things considered...

*PMs phone number to Meow_Meow*

XD I'm still technically dating the last one!!
    Although he brought me to an event with friends from work, and when we came back to his place he gave me an analysis of the entire evening, telling me what I said and did wrong and told me that he didn't think they would judge him for it, but that I "only embarrassed myself"... :S
    What am I doingggg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I really need to learn to be more assertive .... I actually had to ask my friends' advice before I came to the fully realisation that it was not cool... :S

If this thread has demonstrated anything, it's that there's far too much 'stinge tolerance' in this country.

If this thread has demonstrated anything, it's that there's far too much 'stinge tolerance' in this country.

The Irish are probably the worst. My situation probably isn't the norm, but we tolerate too much bullshít, full stop. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been given a shít service, whether it was a bad meal or a lousy haircut, and turned around, smiled and said "thanks!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

People who choose to spend money on something and give out about the price afterwards, my boyfriend did that yesterday we went out for a lovely meal for my birthday and he had to say something about how it was very expensive wasn't it :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Although he brought me to an event with friends from work, and when we came back to his place he gave me an analysis of the entire evening, telling me what I said and did wrong and told me that he didn't think they would judge him for it, but that I "only embarrassed myself"... :S
    What am I doingggg...

Don't put up with that **** any longer. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

Quazzie wrote: »
    Blikes wrote: »
    People being stingy with their cars annoy me.

Was moving house, asking around for help moving stuff, 3 friends in the house that night, all 3 with cards parked outside and not one of them would give me a hand. Was gonna pay for petrol.

My cousin's ex girlfriend took an hour off work, drove 15km in and helped me. one car load is all it took about 4 minutes down the road.

For every stinge, there someone who's worth their weight in gold.

Another one about stingey people with cars. 'Friend' arrive in for a visit, friend and housemate sitting there with cars outside and asked me if i'd cycle to the shop for them, was absolutely pissing rain outside.

Anyway, best thread ever! so funny
    Try tax, insure and test a car, whilst constantly being raped by the Government for putting petrol into it, before you call others stingey to be fair.
    this is for giving out about stingy peoples actions not justifying them please leave this forum

• Advertisement

saa wrote: »
    People who choose to spend money on something and give out about the price afterwards, my boyfriend did that yesterday we went out for a lovely meal for my birthday and he had to say something about how it was very expensive wasn't it :/

Feel your pain! With this guy, he brought me to a cafe on our second date and I had an orange juice and he had a coffee. Whet it came time to pay, I reached into my bag, and he said "no, I'll get it" - of course, I was pretty pleased, until he added "and you get it next time ok?" Wouldn't mind, only I'm a student with no income, and he's nearly 10 years my senior with a very nice job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What am I doingggg...

why don't you have any self esteem? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

What am I doingggg...
    Run for the hills or you will end up as an anecdote on the Controlling Partners thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Meow - you are being a mug. He's embarassing, get rid!!!!

bluewolf wrote: »
    why don't you have any self esteem? :confused:

Ahhh my last relationship was very messed up because the guy had been abused as a child and was pretty much dead inside as a result, so he never showed me any sense of love or affection or appreciation whatsoever, so this guy was still a step up on the last one and... Well, I should probably save it for Personal Issues...!!

Ahhh my last relationship was very messed up because the guy had been abused as a child and was pretty much dead inside as a result, so he never showed me any sense of love or affection or appreciation whatsoever, so this guy was still a step up on the last one and... Well, I should probably save it for Personal Issues...!!

a step up from "miserly with no respect for you" to "slightly less miserly to just above no respect for you" is still crap
    you don't NEED to be in a relationship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Now you've just reinforced the behaviour :mad:

Now you've just reinforced the behaviour :mad:
    Yeah, I know, but tbh while at the time I know that it's uncomfortable, I am too shy to say outright to him that it's wrong.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    a step up from "miserly with no respect for you" to "slightly less miserly to just above no respect for you" is still crap
    you don't NEED to be in a relationship
    Yeah, I'm thinking of taking a break from them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Feel your pain! With this guy, he brought me to a cafe on our second date and I had an orange juice and he had a coffee. Whet it came time to pay, I reached into my bag, and he said "no, I'll get it" - of course, I was pretty pleased, until he added "and you get it next time ok?" Wouldn't mind, only I'm a student with no income, and he's nearly 10 years my senior with a very nice job.

Ouch yeah the outwardly showing your anxieties about money is not sexy, I'm a student with no income and my fella is working so I spend what I can but he doesn't get it he does it at the cinema as well and when I buy the tickets its a thing he's like oh look you're actually spending your money, how annoying :pac:.

but he has friends who do it to him, who are still on good salaries and go out on a night with hundreds of euro, brag about it and buy 20 shots for the lulz and look at him to do the same, its not stingy sometimes theres stuff you just can't afford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Meow Meow here's what you do. Bring the guy back to that restaurant, order the most expensive meal, tell him your going to the ladies, pick up the gun from the toilet you hid earlier, go back in and finish him off. You might have to leave the country for a bit that's the only thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement