Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the TV license inspector ever paid you a visit?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I thought this new law was in already, that you have to pay for a tv license even if you have no tv but use a radio or compuher ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

zenno wrote: »
    I thought this new law was in already, that you have to pay for a tv license even if you have no tv but use a radio or compuher ?

I hope not I'm still using the excuse "I dont watch live tv" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

No inspector ever entered the house.

One called and asked my name. That was it, we were only after moving in and having a baby the same week he called.

He said get one whenever you get sorted.

No inspector ever entered my house either, but I met him when I entering my apartment. He just asked me if I live here to which I said yes. Then he asked me if he can come in and check if I have a tv, I said no. 3 weeks later I got letter to pay my license. I never gave him my name either. Only some time later I found one of the letters addresed to my on top of the mailbox. So i guess the man took my name from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Tell your girlfriend to watch out for a sweet old lady calling to the door.
    That's how my missus got caught at our last place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Was the note handwritten?
    Maybe a neighbour is warning you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I often get those notices, have yet to have one call to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Mrs Questionmarks?'s friend got brought to court last year for it. Got a €100 fine. She also bought a TV licence that morning to show the judge :D. So that was a €260 outlay. Not too expensive considering she has been living without a TV licence for the previous 15 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

For all the TV licence inspectors reading this thread looking for leads to hunt down..I have one. I think..Dog, TV, one or the other, can't remember, sure it was years ago that I got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

For all the TV licence inspectors reading this thread looking for leads to hunt down..I have one. I think..Dog, TV, one or the other, can't remember, sure it was years ago that I got it.

Black and white dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Just tell them to get the fuck off my fucking property and not to come fucking back again fucking cunts scumbags.

Cowardly police will only pick on some poor sod who hasn't got a telle licesne meanwhile scumbag knackers who break into houses go unprosecuted. Useless fucking scumbags is all the license inspectors and police are.

What if I have a TV and no aerial or satellite?? How can I receive saorview signal? What if I only play games and watch netflix? That's like a restaurant putting something on the table you didn't ask for or a supermarket putting something in your trolley that you didn't ask for and forcing you to pay for it.

How come RTE get ALL of the revenue form the license fee?

The BBC have a license too, but they get no advertising revenue, scummy RTÉ get both. Makes me sick.

Just because there is a fucking bastarding aerial on thefucking bastarding roof , doesn't fucking bastarding mean I have a fucking bastarding TV either. Just because there's a fucking bastarding cow in the fucking bastarding garden doesn't fucking bastarding mean I have fucking bastarding milk in the fucking bastarding fridge.

So, no licence then? Or milk?....runs and hides...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Just tell them to get the fuck off my fucking property and not to come fucking back again fucking cunts scumbags.

Cowardly police will only pick on some poor sod who hasn't got a telle licesne meanwhile scumbag knackers who break into houses go unprosecuted. Useless fucking scumbags is all the license inspectors and police are.

What if I have a TV and no aerial or satellite?? How can I receive saorview signal? What if I only play games and watch netflix? That's like a restaurant putting something on the table you didn't ask for or a supermarket putting something in your trolley that you didn't ask for and forcing you to pay for it.

How come RTE get ALL of the revenue form the license fee?

The BBC have a license too, but they get no advertising revenue, scummy RTÉ get both. Makes me sick.

Just because there is a fucking bastarding aerial on thefucking bastarding roof , doesn't fucking bastarding mean I have a fucking bastarding TV either. Just because there's a fucking bastarding cow in the fucking bastarding garden doesn't fucking bastarding mean I have fucking bastarding milk in the fucking bastarding fridge.

That word BASTARDING , that you use , does that mean having a sprog and not being married to yer bird ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just moved into new house... About day 2 an inspector calls at about 7pm when putting our child to bed. Bad timing where my wife is concerned for anyone to call so she answered and when he asked for her name told him in no uncertain terms to get away from our door.

Just got a letter through the door giving notice of legal proceedings to 'The Occupier'

Surely that's not worth sh!t and should just go in the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Film them, and put the video on Youtube. That will put them off

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

lawred2 wrote: »
    Surely that's not worth sh!t and should just go in the bin

Yup, you cant summons an occupier!

yes most developed countries with half decent public service television have them

the UK charge far more for their license than we do

erm

no they don't

it's £145

Yup, you cant summons an occupier!

thought so...

the address is even wrong on the letter

safe to bin it then?

An post/RTE haven't had the law changed to suit themselves where they can summons all occupants of a house have they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

They called here last year and left a notice as there was no one here at the time.

All the notice said was 'no television license at this address, please contact tv license dept at local post office' etc.

So I rang the office and explained that we have no tv in the house, and they said ok, and updated our record on their database to say that there is no tv here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

I had a similar visit from TV licence inspector after moving into a new home. I have a tv licence but literally was in the process of moving stuff out of boxes and there was no way I could find it immediately. So this guy calls to the door, no uniform, normal car and says he is the tv licence inspector. Was a bit suspicious just as you would of any stranger, so I didn't want to give name etc. I told him was just moving in and surrounded by boxes but that I did have a licence. Then he wanted my name and old address to check which I wouldn't give him, to be honest he was a bit arrogant and condescending so he had my hackles up at that stage anyway. Basically, in a polite way, told him to feck off. Got the letter a couple of weeks later about legal proceedings. In the meantime I had changed my address on my tv licence over the phone but they still didn't cop it. So I rang up again and the guy who had called to my door answered and basically tried to tell me that I had put the wrong address on it ( no, he had) and then tried to get me to give him the name of my neighbours on both sides! Told him that was his job.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pockyrin

I had a visit from a tv license inspector a few weeks ago, I was in my dressing gown and I thought it was election campaigners. When I discovered who it was I told him I didn't have a television set and that I wouldn't like to let him in because I was in my pyjamas and it made me feel uncomfortable. He argued with me on the doorstep for almost half hour being very persistant that he is legally allowed into my home. He showed me the back of his card, which he said proved he was legally allowed into my home, but when I read it, it was the vaguest thing I have ever read. Including things like with the householders permission etc. He told me as well that he would be back in a week, and that I had to let him in then. He said that even if I let him in that week, they would need to come back on surprise visits because they would simply believe I had moved a tv that I supposedly own. I honestly have no wish to let strangers trapse through my house and poke through my cupboards, treating me like a criminal and never being satisfied because supposedly I have just hidden the set for that week. Eventually he left, but I think I made a fatal error in giving him my real name. I didn't see the harm at the time because it's anpost so they know who lives here anyway right?

The license guys never came back anyway or I was out, and today I recieved a very worrying letter addressed to me that states that an inspector came round and found me in possession of a television set, and if I don't buy a license in 7 days they will summon me to court and fines etc etc. It honestly feels like harassment but I feel doomed like I iwll have to pay it to avoid all this threatening behavior. I don't have 160 lying around, if I bought some of the stamps towards a license would this be enough to satisfy them within the 7 days?

The issue I have with letting them inside aside from the feeling of persecution and home invasion, is that I have a very large, very broken television that I have no way of shifting. I managed to get it into the hallway but I have no van or car, and no idea where I could bring it to. It's one of those old things with the huge back and it weighs a ton, takes 2 people to move it an inch. It's been broken for years but I've kept it because of the awkwardness of being able to dispose of it. However I am aware that to the tv license inspectors, it doesn't matter how heavily broken a tv is, they consider it capable of repair and thus you need to pay, no matter how much I'd love to get rid of it.

pockyrin wrote: »
    I had a visit from a tv license inspector a few weeks ago, ...

First of all get rid of the old TV, Bring it to Harvey Norman/Currys etc. and tell them you purchased a TV from them and this is the old set they have to take back (They wont ask you for a receipt;))

Second ring An Post and tell them you dont have a TV and so to remove your name from the list of people needing a TV license - record the call or take details of the name of the person your talking to, times and dates etc.

Forget about the rest - Its BS once you do these two things.

Well if you think it would work I could ask the inlaws to bring it out in their van, I don't think Harveys are going to be happy with a like 45x45inch tv lol. It wouldn't fit if I tried to just bring it into their front reception and tell them there, if I ask them in person and say it's in the van they might refuse or get stroppy.

If I ring Anpost will it stop or will they continue with the letters because it seems to me they never believe you don't have a tv. Even when I dump that big broken one I don't want to let them into my home to inspect. And they have my name now which was dumb of me.

edit - I called my local Harveys there said that it was so long ago that I lost my reciept etc etc. They said they'd just ask my phone number when I go in store to trace it to my purchase. Of course I didn't buy the tv there, where I bought that tv closed down a long time ago.

Nah definitely not. There was a radio on at the time in the kitchen, perhaps he wrote down that the music was from a TV, I've no idea. I said I had no TV and I wasn't letting him in but I was acting a bit weird tbh because I was in my pyjamas I probably looked a bit shifty.
    I'm really worried about this 7days until legal proceedings letter, I never watch RTE and I can't stand them but I might have to pay simply because 160 is cheaper than court. Maybe I should just tell them I've started buying the stamps and hope they give me a bit of time, I'll buy the damn thing and then when I move next year I won't open the door to anyone I don't know.

pockyrin wrote: »
    Well if you think it would work I could ask the inlaws to bring it out in their van, I don't think Harveys are going to be happy with a like 45x45inch tv lol. It wouldn't fit if I tried to just bring it into their front reception and tell them there, if I ask them in person and say it's in the van they might refuse or get stroppy.

If I ring Anpost will it stop or will they continue with the letters because it seems to me they never believe you don't have a tv. Even when I dump that big broken one I don't want to let them into my home to inspect. And they have my name now which was dumb of me.

edit - I called my local Harveys there said that it was so long ago that I lost my reciept etc etc. They said they'd just ask my phone number when I go in store to trace it to my purchase. Of course I didn't buy the tv there, where I bought that tv closed down a long time ago.

These TV shops sell hundreds of TV's a week and are required by law to take back the old TV its replacing, they take back hundreds of TV's each week and wont blink an eye when you bring back the old TV

However if your uncomfortable with that option you could buy a mini skip bag put the TV into it and dispose of it that way

As for An Post if you tell them you dont have a TV and have proof of your call as described what difference does the letters make? shred them and tell the inspector if he calls that you have notified An Post of same,

You do not have to let an inspector into your home (He has the right to enter - You have the right to refuse entry)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Thetruthking

they only call out to the houses that are not on the system of having a tv licence (I think the post office store the info)
    they call out, listin to ur bull excuse why you don't have one or can not produece one and then they then issue a summons if you don't have one and you can either pay a fine or go to court,
    its a joke even if ya don't have a tv you still need a licence, once you have any device that can access media (computed, phone etc).. rip off republic

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Thetruthking

dickwod1 wrote: »
    You do not have to let an inspector into your home (He has the right to enter - You have the right to refuse entry)

but then its perverting the course of justice?

also you still need a licence if you have any device that can capture media, even a radio, laptop, phone, tablet etc their is no way round it at all :-(

• Advertisement

they only call out to the houses that are not on the system of having a tv licence (I think the post office store the info)
    they call out, listin to ur bull excuse why you don't have one or can not produece one and then they then issue a summons if you don't have one and you can either pay a fine or go to court,
    its a joke even if ya don't have a tv you still need a licence, once you have any device that can access media (computed, phone etc).. rip off republic

Incorrect, Your thinking of the broadcasting charge, which hasn't been brought in yet, if ever.

Advertisement