Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

I'm finding I am getting along without that but it might be worth checking out - where would I find such a thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Cabaal wrote: »
    Mapping your face is covered on numerous websites when it comes to shaving as it will allow you give yourself a better shave

I would have thought that was fairly obvious to any man shaving, I didn't think people would need to be told about it or take note on a document. I've been aware of my growth direction more or less ever since I've started shaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

There are two schools of thought. The majority belive that the direction of growth does matter when shaving. And the Method Shavers who don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

MediaTank, you said you use a Gillette Fatboy, have you had a go with a Superspeed from the 1940's?

People seem stuck on the Fatboy's, but I drool at the wrench handle look of the Superspeed. I just love the 3 ring grooves at the bottom.

I also like the Flaretip Gillettes, any kind, any era, red tip, slim, etc.

I want to limit my addiction, probably looking to bag a Superspeed with the box.. and a flaretip of some sort, then try and convince my brain that that's enough..

A photo of a Flaretip (Left) and a Superspeed (Right) for the casual browser.

safetyrazoraddictionin3.jpg

Amalgam wrote: »
    MediaTank, you said you use a Gillette Fatboy, have you had a go with a Superspeed from the 1940's?

People seem stuck on the Fatboy's, but I drool at the wrench handle look of the Superspeed. I just love the 3 ring grooves at the bottom.

I also like the Flaretip Gillettes, any kind, any era, red tip, slim, etc.

I want to limit my addiction, probably looking to bag a Superspeed with the box.. and a flaretip of some sort, then try and convince my brain that that's enough..

A photo of a Flaretip (Left) and a Superspeed (Right) for the casual browser.

I have both :D but without the boxes, as well as Slims, etc. I've also got a Schick Injector from the 1920's and a few travel razors from the early 20th century. What I'd like is a Gillette Toggle.

I'll post some pics if you are interested in my modest collection.

• Advertisement

One was on eBay recently, gold, boxed, price wasn't too high. I thought the toggle might get in the way.

Yes, I'd be interested in pictures. What is the weight like on the Superspeed, do the doors shut firmly on them?

A 'Dorco' (Korea) blade prepped for tomorrow's shave.

dorcokoreanc8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Amalgam, what do you mean by prepped. What's needed before you can use a blade?

Prepped, just put to one side, at the ready, so to speak. Just eating up my loose blades, then dumping them in my rather punky blade tin. (it rocks, literally)

rockandrollty0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Im very tempted to get an old gilette slim adjustable-however I just don't know where to get one or how much to pay. Half of me thinks that maybe a Merkur HD would be a nice change from the Progress I currently use.
    As much as i want to take the plunge with something new-I just can't decide which and when!!
    Still on my 2nd merkur blade-its lasted about 7 shaves already. Think i can sneak another one out of it! but at 30c-50c per balde, i can't go wrong!

• Advertisement

There's no plate under the guard of the HD, sometimes I let gunk build up during the shave.. without any urge to rinse out, probably the only thing you'd notice being different from the Progress. The HD also has a diamond hatch engraved shaft, easier to handle.

I quickly jumped from an adjustable (Futur) to the HD, I found it hard to gauge where the blade was in relation to sideburns. I haven't suffered too much as a result of a non-tweakable razor.

Dord wrote: »
    Amalgam, what do you mean by prepped. What's needed before you can use a blade?

When I see prepped, that means to me either snapped in half if using a shavette, or more likely that the blade has been run through a bottle cork. The latter is common for guys who like Feather but find them too sharp :eek:eek.gif

Im very tempted to get an old gilette slim adjustable-however I just don't know where to get one or how much to pay. Half of me thinks that maybe a Merkur HD would be a nice change from the Progress I currently use.

Check eBay.com for prices.

MediaTank wrote: »
    Check eBay.com for prices.

Remember to mooch about on some of the localised eBay sites, like eBay France and eBay Poland, you will often get quirky little auctions squirelled away with prices that can be better than US sellers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Got my Alum Block yesterday, decided to try a Fether blade this morning as I figured I'd have the block now to handle any cuts.

Didn't cut myself once didn't find the blades all that better then the Israeli one's I';ve been using almost every day but did something awful to one side of my neck turned out red as hell and the alum wasn't helping :(

Calmed down after an hour or so though

Cabaal, sorry to hear that, I survived the first Feather, but I had a small irritated area on the neck, down low. It is unforgiving on any botched upward strokes.

I had the opposite experience this morning, the Dorco was very dull. If you have a phobia about cutting yourself, this is the blade to aim for.

The Feather would have cleaned up around the mouth and under the nose easily on the 2nd pass. Sides of the chin like velvet. Dorco wasn't like that at all, I still had a sandy patch on the chin after the second pass. I used the same lather as the Feather, Palmolive green. Very unsatisfying.

The only upside was zero neck irritation or any kind of blood specks, even after ploughing over bumps the Feather would have caused havoc on.

---

Freebies, I'm ditching the following:

Treet x 5 (full pack)
    Dorco x 4 (loose)
    Trig x 2 (loose)
    Merkur x 1(loose)

Just show an interest after this post then PM me an address, there's no need to provide a name, if you wish to retain some privacy.

I'll punt an envelope in the post. First come, first served.

chicken_food is getting the blades above. Offer closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I wouldn't mind trying one of each (bar the Merkurs as I have a few already) And I'll also throw out a few of the Israeli Blades from Shaving Shack.com
    Got a few more blades coming in along with my new HD classic, so i'll post back up soon.

2x5 Israeli Blades

It would be handy to get some blade swapping going-it does rely on integrity and honor system!! Fingers crossed!

To add to the blade pool. I've 4x10 - 1 of Merkurs if anyone wants them.

Please post any good bulk Feather prices that don't involve eBay or Paypal. Looking for 100, or at a push, 200.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Please post any good bulk Feather prices that don't involve eBay or Paypal. Looking for 100, or at a push, 200.

Connaught or West Coast Shaving are your best bets.

• Advertisement

West Coast Shaving is a new one for me, I'll have a peep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Wow, a decent brush really does make a huge difference. I started off with a cheapo one picked up locally two weeks ago, and while everything was fine I wasn't getting the lathering I've seen on the web. First go of a pure badger brush lastnight, and I was nearly going to stick a flake in it.
    I should have taken a picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

I wouldn't mind trying one of each (bar the Merkurs as I have a few already) And I'll also throw out a few of the Israeli Blades from Shaving Shack.com
    Got a few more blades coming in along with my new HD classic, so i'll post back up soon.

2x5 Israeli Blades

It would be handy to get some blade swapping going-it does rely on integrity and honor system!! Fingers crossed!

Id like to take you up on that offer for the Israeli Blades! :D
    I'll have a look at what I have at home to exchange...

noby wrote: »
    Wow, a decent brush really does make a huge difference. I started off with a cheapo one picked up locally two weeks ago, and while everything was fine I wasn't getting the lathering I've seen on the web. First go of a pure badger brush lastnight, and I was nearly going to stick a flake in it.
    I should have taken a picture.

Any particular brand of brush noby?

Oops. It's a pure badger bristle from Sanguine Razors on e-bay; £12.99 and £3.99 delivery. I think Dord added it to the links thread. There's no name on it, so I guess it's 'own brand'.
    It worked great with my shaving soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

What do you guys make of this set?

Would it be a good razor, or would I be better off saving my sheckles for a Merkur 34C?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So got my Lider and Wars shaving cream yesterday in the post from poland, tried the lider cream this morning. Have to say it creates a far far better lather then my king of shaves shaving gel which I've been using up till now.

The lather doesn't disappear off my face after 30sec like the king of shaves gel lather did.

Would it be a good razor, or would I be better off saving my sheckles for a Merkur 34C?

It's OK, but you are better off investing in each item separately. Again, I recommend a Merkur Progress, and a blade sampler pack. With a brush and cream of your choice to get started.

Cabaal wrote: »
    So got my Lider and Wars shaving cream yesterday in the post from poland, tried the lider cream this morning. Have to say it creates a far far better lather then my king of shaves shaving gel which I've been using up till now

Nice. Have you tried any of the 3 Ts creams yet?

• Advertisement

I know I'm a relative novice, but I have the Parker 60R, and have no complaints. It's a good entry-level razor, especially price-wise.

Advertisement