Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Cabaal wrote: »
    I have to say I've found prices on http://www.shaving-shack.com/ pretty good as well

They have nice prices on 30 x Feather - £5.99 sterling.

What's to stop other materials being used for the safety razor head?

What with technology being what it is, could you not make a one piece ceramic 'head' for the safety razor. Light and with properties making it glide across the face.

Any examples of marble, onyx, type materials being used for instance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Cabaal wrote: »
    for anyone using the shaving-shack.com get 10% discount with code SC10E

Cabaal, any idea what the time limit is on this code? :confused:

Ok, there's now a stickied thread here with links to shaving supply webstores. Also I've included links for beard care products and hat stores. :)

I'll add in more links as they're suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I have this guy

http://www.muehle-pinsel.de/shop/classic/razors/1/safety_razor/77/8/R_89

Which I'm a big fan of. I also think which blade you use is important. I used a Derby Extra which was seriously sharp but gave a great shave once I got used to it. Now I'm using Wilkinson Sword blades which are more forgiving but I find them a bit inconsistent and need to go back over small areas of hair that were missed.

I've ordered some Merkur blades which I'm sure will be good, I wanted to get Feather blades but I've no credit card and Connaught Shaving don't seem to take laser.

I also ordered some glycerine shaving soap and some proper shaving cream (I already have a decent brush), I've been getting an unsightly rash after shaving so hopefully upgrading the other things will help out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dord wrote: »
    Cabaal, any idea what the time limit is on this code? :confused:

No idea, but its worked for me twice, I found it on a google search :)

Awesome! Well, I added it into the sticky thread with the links. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

tribulus wrote: »

Which I'm a big fan of. I also think which blade you use is important. I used a Derby Extra which was seriously sharp but gave a great shave once I got used to it.

I tried a Derby last night, and it was fantastic. Of course this is probably more down to my technique improving too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

sombaht wrote: »
    Dbar,
    I just ordered this http://www.vulfixoldoriginal.com/products-detail.asp?CatID=1&SubCatID=1&ProductID=8

Postage included it all came in at under €30. Bit pricier than other brushes I know, but Vulfix are supposed to produce good quality brushes. Either way I'll let you know once I receive it.

Cheers,
    sombaht

Im interested to hear how this works for you, Ive read a few reviews that says that brand is a bit soft, but I guess its all relative.

Lads, this postage thing really Pi***s me off. What are the possibilities of talking to some of these suppliers, tell them that there is a shed load of guys here in Ireland that will order from them (a preferred supplier) if they cut us a deal on postage. I mean, 7.50 stg delivery for a brush, no fecking way!

I got impatient and ordered the exact same brush just now, we can compare notes!

Maybe 7.50 is a flat fee and it would be same the same charge even if you got 100E worth of stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Maybe 7.50 is a flat fee and it would be same the same charge even if you got 100E worth of stuff?

The shipping is more or less flatrate for the most part on sites I've seen, if I order 10e worth of stuff its £6 and if I order 100e of stuff its still £6, you just got to plan ahead and not buy like one blade and one razor at a time. place bulk orders :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

A bit late now, but I ordered my brush from Sanguine Razors on e-bay; £3.99 delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

noby wrote: »
    I tried a Derby last night, and it was fantastic. Of course this is probably more down to my technique improving too.

If you like Derby's then check out eBay for bulk buying. The guy was selling 10,000 (yes 10,000) blades in one lot a couple of months ago. derby-exclusive is the store name.

Dord wrote: »
    Ok, there's now a stickied thread here with links to shaving supply webstores. Also I've included links for beard care products and hat stores. :)

I'll add in more links as they're suggested.

Here's another couple.

www.mankind.co.uk - Good for shaving stuff and have a loyalty scheme. UK based.
    www.gentlemans-shop.com - Also do leather goods and scarves. UK based too.
    www.executive-shaving.co.uk - Yet another UK based one.
    www.theartofshaving.com - Own brand of herbal shaving products. Expensive but very high quality. US based.

noby wrote: »
    A bit late now, but I ordered my brush from Sanguine Razors on e-bay; £3.99 delivery.

I'll add that one too.

Actually www.4men.ie is another one - I've just ordered off them.

Actually www.4men.ie is another one - I've just ordered off them.

As much as I'd love to order from an Irish company due to quicker delivery timeframes etc I have to say I'm disappointment with there stock

Yeah, they just have one Merkur and a few other multiblade razors. I think the only good thing is their selection of shaving creams and balms and stuff.

I knocked the top off a white head this morning with a Feather. Like a paint truck crashing into a ketchup factory, I was rushing. Having said that, its my first shave where you run the back of your fingers down the face and there's a squeaky clean kind of rubbery resistance. I can't remember the last time I had that sensation with disposables. I used bog standard Palmolive shaving cream (green tube) and a non-descript shaving brush. (Grandfather's brush..)

3rd shave with a Feather blade, should I 'just be happy' with that and change, or chance another day or so?

Amalgam wrote: »
    I knocked the top off a white head this morning with a Feather. Like a paint truck crashing into a ketchup factory, I was rushing. Having said that, its my first shave where you run the back of your fingers down the face and there's a squeaky clean kind of rubbery resistance. I can't remember the last time I had that sensation with disposables. I used bog standard Palmolive shaving cream (green tube) and a non-descript shaving brush. (Grandfather's brush..)

3rd shave with a Feather blade, should I 'just be happy' with that and change, or chance another day or so?

Feathers are by far the sharpest blade on the market, so IMO it doesn't get any better. Sounds like they work for you.

• Advertisement

I'll step down for the next blade, maybe a Merkur.

I was reading about a Polish Shaving Cream on Badger and Blade, a Polish shop in Dublin has to stock it, somewhere..

Very good reviews.

Badger & Blade - WARS shaving cream

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=W&t=1777

Amalgam wrote: »
    I was reading about a Polish Shaving Cream on Badger and Blade, a Polish shop in Dublin has to stock it, somewhere..

Very good reviews.

Badger & Blade - WARS shaving cream

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=W&t=1777

Sounds good I'll look out for it too.

MediaTank wrote: »
    Sounds good I'll look out for it too.

Its on Polish ebay, comes to 4.64 yoyos for 4 tubes!

Just went to buy, comes to 8 Euro inc postage, still good...

There's also combo packs with 'Lider' shaving cream too.

(ebay.pl) 2x Wars+2x Lider,shaving cream 65g

Shaving apparel from eBay.pl seems to be keenly priced. Nice.

Forgot to say dbar, there's photos of a brush with Wars lather on B&B and it's like cookie dough, looks good. (reaches out to nibble at bristles..)

Just ordered it!
    I'll let you know how I get on...

dbar wrote: »
    Just ordered it!
    I'll let you know how I get on...

As have I worked out about 8e for the lot which was pretty good, I wanted to try different creams see which is best for me

I would also like to see more choices of blade from 4men.ie but I've been happy with them so far.

I ordered on Tuesday night and it got to me (Dublin) this morning.
    I ordered 20 Merkur blades, shaving cream and spice glycerine soap, everything as ordered and they even threw in some free moisturieser samples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yeah, I've spent a small fortune with 4men.ie and have found to be excellent, deliveries are always very quick and I've a pile of little samples around the place. Damn those samples as it just makes me go and buy more stuff !

Shaved again last night with a derby blade and the Progress, I found the derby good, but I am struggling with the Progress itself, I am finding the handle too short to manipulate the Razor properly. I am considering getting the Slant Bar HD long handle, has anyone used these?

• Advertisement

dbar wrote: »
    Shaved again last night with a derby blade and the Progress, I found the derby good, but I am struggling with the Progress itself, I am finding the handle too short to manipulate the Razor properly. I am considering getting the Slant Bar HD long handle, has anyone used these?

Most DE razors have relatively short handles - for a reason. You only need to hold the razor at the end with the tips of your fingers to get it to do it's stuff.

Advertisement