Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Amalgam wrote: »
    MediaTank, the Sanex gel was ditched last week.. for good. A brush with the Palmolive not only gives you a fine buttery lather, but you cut down on skin cuts and burn considerably. A Feather with airy gel, compared to a Feather and a nice rich lather, no comparison.

I prefer a brush also now, far more passive, you don't have to fumble for the shave can etc, just pick up your brush and give your face a few sloppy circular motions.. done and done.

If someone wants to offload any shaving cream, feel free to offer, I'd happily buy a tube of Wars and a tube of Leder. Cash and stamps, cash, handover, post, whatever suits, south Dublin.

Ideally, I'd like to send a fiver out to someone, with stamps for postage, if needed.

---

I lopped off my flared trouser sideburns, just have 1 inchers now, feels great, tidies up the shave routine something rotten.

Drop me a pm with your address, I'll sort you out with a tube of Wars got no leder though!

People have slagged off DE users as, 'Born Again Shavers', taking it far too seriously etc. :D

I used a Feather this morning, Merkur HD, with cheap and cheerful Men-Ü brush ('pure bristle'), Palmolive Green. The bowl used to let the cats drink their milk is now my lather bowl.

The ultimate in Recycling...

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

The bowl used to let the cats drink their milk is now my lather bowl.

I bet the cats absolutely love you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

dbar wrote: »
    Drop me a pm with your address, I'll sort you out with a tube of Wars got no leder though!

dbar, excellent, thank you, PM on the way shortly.

andrewh5 wrote: »
    I bet the cats absolutely love you :D

Here it is.. (see attached)

I think there was a fashion at one point to sell Brussels Paté to people in little bowls, years back, you'd cut open the bowl from the plastic and use your knife to dole out the paté at your leisure, it came from that I think. The cats were fed milk or tuna flakes from it for years.

I'm convinced the bowls still exist, at the local supermarket.

The brush looks weedy, but works just fine, I tend to soak it in the hot sink water beforehand, just floatin' about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

sombaht wrote: »
    I had it at a setting of 2.5 but I may play about with this as I get more confident.

Sounds like a great start.

Lads, I've noticed that many of you are starting off with the razor set too high. When you are learning your technique set it to 1. Yes one. Gradually increase it until you get a nick free shave. The higher the setting the more space between the safety bar and the blade and hence a more agresssive shave.

I've had my Gillette Fat Boy set to 2 for a couple of years now. I get a great shave so there's no need to adjust further.

The brush looks weedy, but works just fine, I tend to soak it in the hot sink water beforehand, just floatin' about.

Looks good to me.

MT

People have slagged off DE users as, 'Born Again Shavers', taking it far too seriously etc. :D

That's certainly the case with Method Shavers www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSv_0MpKJU4

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Thanks for the tip MediaTank. Will try that tonight.

Cheers,
    sombaht

Here it is.. (see attached)

I think there was a fashion at one point to sell Brussels Paté to people in little bowls, years back, you'd cut open the bowl from the plastic and use your knife to dole out the paté at your leisure, it came from that I think. The cats were fed milk or tuna flakes from it for years.

I'm convinced the bowls still exist, at the local supermarket.

I have seen them around. Tescos or Superquinn are probably the best bet. Good thinking.

• Advertisement

andrewh5 wrote: »
    I have seen them around. Tescos or Superquinn are probably the best bet. Good thinking.

I use a round bottom large latte cup.

MediaTank wrote: »
    I use a round bottom large latte cup.

Another great idea! Watch out Starbucks! Lock up your cups :D

Gotta admit, the moss scuttle that Mediatank mentioned a while back does it for me, its 55 Can dollars but comes to 55 Delivery as well!
    Another item for my birthday..

Gotta admit, the moss scuttle that Mediatank mentioned a while back does it for me, its 55 Can dollars but comes to 55 Delivery as well!

Nice. Named after Dr Chris Moss the inventor and author of "The Art of The Straight Razor" - you should put that on your birthday list too :D

By a stroke of luck, we need to replace the bathroom sink, so the missus wants to get a oak unit made with nice countertop, etc. Methinks it would be a good time to get a small matching shaving cabinet to put up beside the mirror :D (as opposed to the wicker box I keep everything in now). We have a man in mind, he did our kitchen for small money and a great job.
    So..... does anyone have any ideas/links about what make the perfect shaving cabinet, as he will pretty much build anything I draw?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Whats the link for it I can't find it when searching this thread

Cabaal wrote: »
    Whats the link for it I can't find it when searching this thread

Here you go..
    http://www.sarabonnymanpottery.com/moss_scuttle.htm

By a stroke of luck, we need to replace the bathroom sink, so the missus wants to get a oak unit made with nice countertop, etc. Methinks it would be a good time to get a small matching shaving cabinet to put up beside the mirror :D (as opposed to the wicker box I keep everything in now). We have a man in mind, he did our kitchen for small money and a great job.
    So..... does anyone have any ideas/links about what make the perfect shaving cabinet, as he will pretty much build anything I draw?

Louvre doors to allow air to ciculate then inside like a spice rack to hold your collection of razors and brushes :D, with an open shelf for creams, alum block etc.

Oh Yes, louvre doors is an excellent idea...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thank you much :)
    I might buy one to replace my tin cup as I find it somewhat awkward to make up the lather and while its initially warm which is pretty nice it gets cold pretty quick :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

This is what you want: (edit: to Dbar, obviously)

psycho-721849.jpg

Hang on, was this picture already posted on this thread? Apologies if it was.

scuttlefingerholezn2.jpg

I would love to know where to get a scuttle with a built in finger hole, that looks the business, as well as being still fairly compact.

That will only hold about half my collection:D

Finished a Feather this morning.. Popped one of the following in for tomorrow.. Merkur? Israeli? I'm not quite sure who makes them.

mysterybladegd9.jpg

Incoming: A tube of Wars from dbar.

That's Personna made in Israel and known to wet shavers as 'the Israeli'

MT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I've been using the Merkur HD for the last week and a bit. My god its very very good! I've been using some dorco blades. http://www.connaughtshaving.com/dorco.html
    These have given me a great shave and id almost be inclined to say easier and better to use then the progress!
    I also managed to get two blades in my carry on through manchester and dublin airport. Naturally i had them in my wash bag and not in the razor. That being said, they did take out my razor to inspect it. They were impressed!!

edit-got to thank Amalagam for the few Dorcos and other gems he sent me!

Man those Dorcos are cheap. £8.90 for 100! Glad they work for you.

I didn't feel I was getting a good return on time and effort with the Dorcos. Extra pass needed, rough chin, sod that.

I'm glad someone likes the HD off the bat. No fiddling!

MediaTank wrote: »
    That's Personna made in Israel and known to wet shavers as 'the Israeli'

MT

Very nice shave, I think I've found my 'Go to' blade. Some bite, crisp feedback on the cut, but not sadistic like the Feather, certainly more forgiving on the first blade shave. Zero irritation. ATG was a breeze. Palmolive lather, boar brush.

The only problem I have is how easy it would be to get the same batch. Personna, at times, judging by various forums, seems to be a catch-all brand used for uncertainty.. as long as it is made in Israel. Tesco use 'ASR' (US Personna?), supposedely.

• Advertisement

Many thanks to chicken_food for a pack of Feather blades this morning. Delighted.

chfbladesmondayyf1.jpg

Advertisement