Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

dbar wrote: »
    I also use the Proraso pre-shave oil, I find it good as my beard is wiry, but I would like to hear from other people on similar products and how they find them

Another pre-shave oil user, try Trumpers Coral Skin Food as an alternative and see how you get on.

30 Israeli Made Double Edged Razor Blades
    10 Derby Extra and 10 Israeli Made Double Edged Razor Blades

As per an earlier post I have some Merkur blades if you want them just drop me a PM and an address.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Received all my stuff from shaving shack today, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Dam you Cabaal!! I ordered my stuff Tuesday night-and was hoping it would all arrive for me this morning!! Im off to manchester on sat so wouldnt mind bringing my new HD with me :) That being said, the Progress is treating me well so far and I can't recommend it highly enough.
    I ordered some more blades just to try-and then some Proraso shave cream! Times are tough so the exspensive ones will have to wait till my birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Im off to manchester on sat so wouldnt mind bringing my new HD with me

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, you won't be allowed to bring blades with you. You could of course bring everything else, and pick up some blades over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You could so long as they're not in hand luggage.

Check the price of the razor, brush, cream, drip stand and all came to around €75... and just can't justify paying that at the minute :(

Check the price of the razor, brush, cream, drip stand and all came to around €75... and just can't justify paying that at the minute :(

Razor, blades, brush and cream is all you need. Should be able to get that for < €60.

You could so long as they're not in hand luggage.

True. I was just thinking about carry on.

You could always buy the stuff in stages - nothing wrong with buying, say, the cream and brush, and carry on with your existing razor. Then when you can afford it, get more stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Lads just want to say a HUGE thanks to a fellow Safety Razor Shaver - Amalgam!!
    He offered up some blades to people here, and I was hoping to take a selection of one or two. Low and behold an post arrived this morning with a lovely little present for me!! A number of blades ranging from Wilkinson Swords, Dorcos and many more. I literally have close to a years worth of blades from Amalgam, and the nicest part about it is the manor in which he did this. He expected nothing in return and had them at my door within a day and a half!!

Once again a big thanks to Amalgam, you really did make my day!! I was grinning from ear to ear as I was opening it up.

I hope my little return gift keeps you going for a month or so!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So I've4 been using my new badger brush for two days and I have to say it was worth the investment.
    - It holds water better
    - Creates lather much much quicker and hydrates it much better

Also I got myself so pre-shave gel and I have to say it appears to have sorted the redness I was getting on one side of my neck when shaving, softens the whiskers up abit before shaving and appears to make the shave alot smoother

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Had a go off the Straight Razor yesterday.
    Did all the prep work, shower, etc. After stropping and
    applying the shave cream took a deep breath and off I went.
    My 6 year old and wife came in 10 mins later,
    he told me to stop shaving with that Knife and my wife told me to
    listen to him, he had more sense then me.
    At that stage I had 3 nice dribbles of blood coming down the face.
    I revised the plan. I had tried to copy them guys on youtube, but it
    wasnt working, obviously.
    Basically the way to go for me was to do most of the shave with the
    safety razor and leave little patches for the straight to get used to it.
    You really need to stretch the shin as well or it will dig in. Nice and slow
    with loads of short strokes.
    By the end I was starting to make some hand at, so mixed results.
    I'll know better next time.
    Even with all the blood I was still proud of myself!

Had a go off the Straight Razor yesterday.
    Did all the prep work, shower, etc. After stropping and
    applying the shave cream took a deep breath and off I went.
    My 6 year old and wife came in 10 mins later,
    he told me to stop shaving with that Knife and my wife told me to
    listen to him, he had more sense then me.
    At that stage I had 3 nice dribbles of blood coming down the face.
    I revised the plan. I had tried to copy them guys on youtube, but it
    wasnt working, obviously.
    Basically the way to go for me was to do most of the shave with the
    safety razor and leave little patches for the straight to get used to it.
    You really need to stretch the shin as well or it will dig in. Nice and slow
    with loads of short strokes.
    By the end I was starting to make some hand at, so mixed results.
    I'll know better next time.
    Even with all the blood I was still proud of myself!

Ouch! You're a brave man :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

It's nice to get stuff from folk you don't know now and then.. :) I sent you a PM as to why I couldn't answer your post before now. Life has a habit of throwing you curve balls..

Many thanks for the return gift.
    Lads just want to say a HUGE thanks to a fellow Safety Razor Shaver - Amalgam!!
    He offered up some blades to people here, and I was hoping to take a selection of one or two. Low and behold an post arrived this morning with a lovely little present for me!! A number of blades ranging from Wilkinson Swords, Dorcos and many more. I literally have close to a years worth of blades from Amalgam, and the nicest part about it is the manor in which he did this. He expected nothing in return and had them at my door within a day and a half!!

Once again a big thanks to Amalgam, you really did make my day!! I was grinning from ear to ear as I was opening it up.

I hope my little return gift keeps you going for a month or so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

You can get barber's towels in a pack of 8 for about 30 quid on Amazon (uk an us - depending on currency fluctuation)

Got a nice Old Spice shaving mug off ebay today too.. Just like the one my dad used to have years ago. Funny how things like this make you realise how much like your parents you can become!

Lads,
    Anyone here use a Slant Bar? MediaTank I think you have one? How does it compare to the Progress? Does slant mean that it bends the blade like the progress. After reading reviews I am seriously tempted, it looks like a mean bit of Kit.
    Thoughts, comments, observations please.

On a seperate note, anyone else notice how theraputic shaving with all the Kit is? Its seriously relaxing, serious me time. I look forward to it now, how sad am I:D

On a seperate note, anyone else notice how theraputic shaving with all the Kit is? Its seriously relaxing, serious me time. I look forward to it now, how sad am I:D

Absolutely. I'm shaving every second day now (which is a lot for me), and find it very therapeutic.

noby wrote: »
    Absolutely. I'm shaving every second day now (which is a lot for me), and find it very therapeutic.

yesterday was the first day I didn't shave since getting my progress and I have to say I kind of missed it but it was interesting to note that I can just about pull off a second day and not have much growth when compared to shaving with old razor

I would certainly push myself through the process. Now, with the Merkur, I'm into it, a task to do, rather than a task endured.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    it was interesting to note that I can just about pull off a second day and not have much growth when compared to shaving with old razor

Specially on the chin and cheeks.

Lads,
    Anyone here use a Slant Bar? MediaTank I think you have one? How does it compare to the Progress? Does slant mean that it bends the blade like the progress. After reading reviews I am seriously tempted, it looks like a mean bit of Kit.
    Thoughts, comments, observations please.

I have all of the basic Merkur models except for the Slant Bar. It's apparently for very experienced wet shavers with very heavy beard growth only. From what I've read it's very agressive even more so than the Vision 2000, so I never bought one :D

Your other note refers to the Zen of shaving. I enjoy it too and really look forward to shaving every day - which razor, which cream, etc. Very pleaseant.

I know what you mean,its getting addictive at this stage, I keep wanting to buy more stuff, nothing like getting a package in the post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

who007 wrote: »
    Got a nice Old Spice shaving mug off ebay today too.. Just like the one my dad used to have years ago. Funny how things like this make you realise how much like your parents you can become!

How how true that is :D

I love the whole DE safety razor shave - far, far better than multi blade things.

I use Proraso soap but put 3 drops of King of Shaves oil in my bowl before I start building the lather. It makes a lovely slick lather with very little drag.

People have slagged off DE users as, 'Born Again Shavers', taking it far too seriously etc. :D

I used a Feather this morning, Merkur HD, with cheap and cheerful Men-Ü brush ('pure bristle'), Palmolive Green. The bowl used to let the cats drink their milk is now my lather bowl.

Amalgam wrote: »
    People have slagged off DE users as, 'Born Again Shavers', taking it far too seriously etc. :D

I used a Feather this morning, Merkur HD, with cheap and cheerful Men-Ü brush ('pure bristle'), Palmolive Green. The bowl used to let the cats drink their milk is now my lather bowl.

LOL. How did you find the Feather blade?

Lads,
    Anyone here use a Slant Bar? MediaTank I think you have one?

Update, I've just ordered one - I'll let you know how I get on :D:D

MediaTank, the Sanex gel was ditched last week.. for good. A brush with the Palmolive not only gives you a fine buttery lather, but you cut down on skin cuts and burn considerably. A Feather with airy gel, compared to a Feather and a nice rich lather, no comparison.

I prefer a brush also now, far more passive, you don't have to fumble for the shave can etc, just pick up your brush and give your face a few sloppy circular motions.. done and done.

If someone wants to offload any shaving cream, feel free to offer, I'd happily buy a tube of Wars and a tube of Leder. Cash and stamps, cash, handover, post, whatever suits, south Dublin.

Ideally, I'd like to send a fiver out to someone, with stamps for postage, if needed.

---

I lopped off my flared trouser sideburns, just have 1 inchers now, feels great, tidies up the shave routine something rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Had my first shave with my Merkur Progress last night. I ordered it along with the popular sample blade pack from Connaught Shaving http://connaughtshaving.com/popular.html

I had also ordered some shave cream(Sicilian Lime) http://connaughtshaving.com/connaughtsc.html and had a Vulfix 2197 http://www.vulfixoldoriginal.com/products-detail.asp?CatID=1&SubCatID=1&ProductID=8

Having never shaved with a DE blade before I had no idea what to start with. I read enough to know that Feathers while exceptionally sharp were pretty unforgiving as a first blade, so I loaded up a Derby Extra.
    The weight of the Progress is so noticeable, especially if you are used to the normal plasticy Gilette sensor style razors. I had it at a setting of 2.5 but I may play about with this as I get more confident.

Lathering with a brush and nice cream is wonderful, and feels fantastic, its a real de-stresser! The brush just feels so therapeutic.
    Since it was my first shave I decided I would just do one pass with the grain and one pass across. I was and still am blown away at ho smooth the shave was even just after these two passes compared to my old cartridge razor. I did get two nicks on the chin, that was a tricky bit, but I did tend to rush it, so my bad.
    I have to admit I do like the Derby whether it was just the blade or a combination of blade and cream I was very pleased with the result.

All in all I am delighted with the Merkur and the Vulfix. Shaving is now something I look forward to doing, it is actually enjoyable! Never thought that could be possible.

Cheers,
    sombaht

Yesterday I was amused by my fiancee's comment, with my old Fusion I often used to give the shaving a rest at the weekend for a day to leave my skin recover....course she never liked this as she doesn't like stubble

However yesterday when I was about to shave my fiancee said she didn't mind if I didn't shave again to give my skin a rest as she's used to me saying this, I was actually kinda disappointed as I was looking forward to shaving :p

Sad perhaps but it certainly has come along way from hating the bother of shaving in the morning :D

I don't think it's sad - and on this thread it's kinda bonding for men! :)
    I was actually late for work tonight so I could fit in a shave - I realised the time and thought - " ah f*ck em" and continued till I was finished. Blamed it on the snow :D

Found this while searching for a shaving mirror (for ni the bath) - could be a real snip of a deal if anyone is still looking at buying a safety razor:

£9.88

• Advertisement

Very odd, looks almost like a 'Gillette TV', the razor was the T, the box was the V.. tied in with sports broadcasts in the US, during the 50's or 60's..

gillettetvsuperspeededicb6.jpg

tvblue01editvi2.jpg

Advertisement