Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

That would make a bit more sense, I'll try that the next time, hard to break habits...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Yip, I know what you mean. Holding it by fingertips also prevents you from using too much pressure - the weight of the razor should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Dbar,
    Do a search on youtube for "mantic59". He has a series of videos on shaving and shaving technique. In one of his videos he talks on how to hold the razor and he actually uses a Progress to demonstrate.

I just ordered a Progress myself, how do you find it?

Cheers,
    sombaht

Yeah,
    I have watched a load of his videos they are all jumbled up in my head! I just watched the tips and tricks one, shows the correct holding position.
    Generally I find it excellent, 2 passes and I have a nice close shave. Keep the adjustment below 2 for a kickoff, I had it at 1.5 for last shave and it worked well. I am getting the nicks numbers down, you cant rush it, so leave the first shave for an evening time, and hot water as hot as you can stand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The HD (34C) is fine as a non-adjustable, can someone here relate the HD to a setting on the Progress?

---

feathertravelxf2.jpg

I rather like the look of this travel razor by Feather, nice box, price is reasonable, 12 euro. Pops up on ebay.pl a few times.

http://cgi.ebay.pl/Feather-Portable-All-Metal-Double-Edge-Travel-Razor_W0QQitemZ130260405708QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK

http://cgi.ebay.pl/Feather-Portable-All-Metal-Double-Edge-Travel-Razor_W0QQitemZ360091949283QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH

• Advertisement

Sure you couldnt go wrong for that price....

Heh.. imagine if you did, a ratty razor with sadistic blades. Paper face makes his way into work.. :D

I just love the presentation of it. You'll notice the bar\mid split half way along the blade bar thing (no idea what the proper name is..). I wonder does that change the nature of the shave at all. The Merkurs go clean across.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've been looking at getting a new shaving brush to replace the crap budget one I bought, looking at this https://www.secure-sales.org.uk/shavingshack/shop/product.php?productid=2775

what do you lot think?
    39ed28583ea2bf4311152095640b45c0.jpg

Nice, are you dead set on the storage case, just.. no point paying for the case if you're not keen on it. Can the brush be bought as a single item?

Further up the thread there was the mention of a simple plastic storage tube for travel.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Amalgam wrote: »
    Nice, are you dead set on the storage case, just.. no point paying for the case if you're not keen on it. Can the brush be bought as a single item?

Further up the thread there was the mention of a simple plastic storage tube for travel.

Not too pushed about the case but same type of brush doesn't appear to be available without one, handy have though mind you :)

• Advertisement

I forgot to say, can you still get those tin mugs for camping etc, simple white with usually a blue or black turned rim. I'd like to use that for making a lather.

I gave an uncle the remainder of my disposables today, in a freezer bag. Going cold turkey.. the funny thing is, he was really into hearing about the Merkurs. I might win over a family member or two yet.

I forgot to say, can you still get those tin mugs for camping etc, simple white with usually a blue or black turned rim. I'd like to use that for making a lather.

Funny you mention that, yesterday I visited a local farmers store in which I picked up a very good value double sidded mirror on a stand for only 7e (much cheaper then anything I've seen elsewhere, tesco's etc) and a handy tin mug for 2e.

Used both this morning and have to say was well worth the 9e spent :D

Rather minimalistic safety razor with a side hinge or clip mechanism.

'Lord'

Main Site: http://www.razorslord.com/

Specific Safety: http://www.razorslord.com/Categories/SaftyRazors.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Is there any bricks and mortar shops in Dublin selling DE blades out of curiosity?

There's a mention on one or two forums that Tesco branded DE blades are Israeli Personna (ASR) and are fine quality. The posts are on UK forums, so I suspect the same stock is over here.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Funny you mention that, yesterday I visited a local farmers store in which I picked up a very good value double sidded mirror on a stand for only 7e (much cheaper then anything I've seen elsewhere, tesco's etc) and a handy tin mug for 2e.

Used both this morning and have to say was well worth the 9e spent :D

Try a ceramic mug - it holds the heat and keeps the lather warm. But what you really need is one of these http://www.sarabonnymanpottery.com/moss_scuttle.htm

There's a mention on one or two forums that Tesco branded DE blades are Israeli Personna (ASR) and are fine quality. The posts are on UK forums, so I suspect the same stock is over here.

Boots sometimes have DE blades too.

MediaTank wrote: »
    Try a ceramic mug - it holds the heat and keeps the lather warm. But what you really need is one of these http://www.sarabonnymanpottery.com/moss_scuttle.htm

MediaTank, your link has a link to a review:

http://shaveblog.com/?p=193

Check out the featurette on the right, 'I just wanted a good shave...', about a segment on NBC's Today Show. Great stuff.

MediaTank, your link has a link to a review:

http://shaveblog.com/?p=193

Check out the featurette on the right, 'I just wanted a good shave...', about a segment on NBC's Today Show. Great stuff.

Yes, I posted about that a while back.

I found 4 packs of these in a cupboard from some time ago. Tried one yesterday in my 1959 Gillette Fatboy. Much better than I remembered but not as good as a Feather.

• Advertisement

You see a lot of people making noises about how Merkur make nice razors but dodgy blades.. then you read about people that like them and that the blade balances out better over 3 shaves compared to a Feather.

Talking of Feathers, I stretched a Feather out to 4 shaves, the last shave was dodgy on the neck, no blood, but red spots. It was a really tugger. I enjoyed the second shave best with it. Lesson learnt.

A quick question, in the same way that you could get valve radios made in Ireland, was there a native manufacturer of safety razors at some point?

A quick question, in the same way that you could get valve radios made in Ireland, was there a native manufacturer of safety razors at some point?

None that I'm aware of. Straight razors yes. The only thing I could find was blades made/finished here. McSmile is the brand I've heard of most, but have yet to add one to my collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

All this talk of safety razors is really making me want to try one :eek:

What razor would you guys recommend to someone that's never used anything but the standard modern razors?

All this talk of safety razors is really making me want to try one :eek:

What razor would you guys recommend to someone that's never used anything but the standard modern razors?

Merkur Progress. You'll also need blades (get a sample pack), cream and a brush.

MediaTank wrote: »
    None that I'm aware of. Straight razors yes. The only thing I could find was blades made/finished here. McSmile is the brand I've heard of most, but have yet to add one to my collection.

That's a shame. Odd as well, considering that there was enough of a market for radios to have a good few brands manufactured in Dublin and the surrounding areas, but not an everyday utility like a safety razor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Laurent

I have not read the total forum, but would like to give an opinion. I had a neat chinstrap beard for many years (had to shave neck and cheeks) As it got greyer --(whiter ?) I reduced to a "van Dyck" type beard. When shaving the jaw line I discovered that my facial hair grew in different directions. From this I discovered that to shave cleanly, wet or electric, one has to know the direction in which the hair pushes. Not being too sure, I did not shave for over a week (good excuse "I seem to have a skin reaction !") I then was able to map the growth directions, and this has been a great boon to me when I shave as I now know in what direction to "pull" the razor (wet or dry) I get a very smooth and clean shave. Try it out, know your face!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Talking of Feathers, I stretched a Feather out to 4 shaves, the last shave was dodgy on the neck, no blood, but red spots. It was a really tugger. I enjoyed the second shave best with it. Lesson learnt.

That raises a question..how many shaves should you get out of a safety razor? I've been trying the feathers...dem boys is sharp mofo's

Depends on your facial hair, I have neck hair that would make a boar jealous. I had a feeling I was chancing it.

Laurent wrote: »
    I have not read the total forum, but would like to give an opinion. I had a neat chinstrap beard for many years (had to shave neck and cheeks) As it got greyer --(whiter ?) I reduced to a "van Dyck" type beard. When shaving the jaw line I discovered that my facial hair grew in different directions. From this I discovered that to shave cleanly, wet or electric, one has to know the direction in which the hair pushes. Not being too sure, I did not shave for over a week (good excuse "I seem to have a skin reaction !") I then was able to map the growth directions, and this has been a great boon to me when I shave as I now know in what direction to "pull" the razor (wet or dry) I get a very smooth and clean shave. Try it out, know your face!!

Mapping your face is covered on numerous websites when it comes to shaving as it will allow you give yourself a better shave

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Mapping your face is covered on numerous websites when it comes to shaving as it will allow you give yourself a better shave

You can even download a PDF to use as a facial template. Mapping as I understand it is VERY important when using a straight razor.

Advertisement