Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

DamoElDiablo, that seems ok. Make sure you're happy with the razor. I noticed under that offer that they sell.. Wild Rose scented shaving cream.

http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/product.php?productid=2588&page=

The smell must be a treat, not sure I'd want to be going about my business smelling *of it*, but it would be nice to use.

---

Just curious, swings and roundabouts. You use more metal in the blade, but no plastic, when moving to DE shaving.

Remember too, that you're less likely to use pressurised containers with foam, having hopefully gone the full monty to a brush and cream.

Overall, would that leave you at a net plus, from a green perspective?

When you look back, think of all the disposables just lying about in landfills, millions, if not billions, at this point.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MediaTank wrote: »
    It's OK, but you are better off investing in each item separately. Again, I recommend a Merkur Progress, and a blade sampler pack. With a brush and cream of your choice to get started.

I'd also recommend buying things separate, go with the progress also
    Nice. Have you tried any of the 3 Ts creams yet?

No not tried any of them, I have wars to try yet and I also have a selection of creams and gels coming from shaving shack which I should have Friday...also a new brush! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Were any of you tempted by this behemoth? It was my first safety razor, it's huge and not great to start off with :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The progress appears to be cheapest here...

Can anyone confirm if this is a good price, or should I scout about a bit more and scour ebay?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The progress appears to be cheapest here...

Can anyone confirm if this is a good price, or should I scout about a bit more and scour ebay?

almost £35?
    you can get it here for £30 - http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/product.php?productid=2670&cat=0&page=1

Granted shipping is about £6 to Ireland but if your buying more then just the razor it'll work out the best value as far as I can see, also use the discount code for shaving shack to get 10% off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

The shaving revolution continues apace, work buddy just ordered 2 Merkeurs HD, one for him and his dad from connaught shaving!
    Wife just rang to tell me a package from Poland (wars cream) with a gazillion stamps on it arrived along with a package from the UK - my Straight Razor! fun times ahead...

dbar wrote: »
    Wife just rang to tell me a package from Poland (wars cream) with a gazillion stamps on it arrived along with a package from the UK - my Straight Razor! fun times ahead...

Straight razor eh?
    Your a brave man :)

Were any of you tempted by this behemoth? It was my first safety razor, it's huge and not great to start off with :D

I was, for a little bit.. which is probably why I plumped for the Futur. Both the Vision and the Futur are a bit.. Porsche-y, probably the attraction. Ohh shiny over sense.. The brush for the Futur is hideously overpriced. Just odd price blips in Merkur's range, the Merkur shaving bowl is expensive too.

Cabaal wrote: »
    almost £35?
    you can get it here for £30 - http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/product.php?productid=2670&cat=0&page=1

Granted shipping is about £6 to Ireland but if your buying more then just the razor it'll work out the best value as far as I can see, also use the discount code for shaving shack to get 10% off

Yip, best deal by far.

Amalgam wrote: »
    I was, for a little bit.. which is probably why I plumped for the Futur. Both the Vision and the Futur are a bit.. Porsche-y, probably the attraction. Ohh shiny over sense.. The brush for the Futur is hideously overpriced. Just odd price blips in Merkur's range, the Merkur shaving bowl is expensive too.

I went for big and shiny over practical. The Vision is not for a novice user. After buying it I downsized to a Futur, then a couple of other Merkurs and then to the vintage Fat Boy that I use most days.

• Advertisement

The shaving revolution continues apace, work buddy just ordered 2 Merkeurs HD, one for him and his dad from connaught shaving!

Let's now how you get on with the straight. What did you buy a Dovo or TI or somethings else?

Let's now how you get on with the straight. What did you buy a Dovo or TI or somethings else?

Do they have internet access in A&E..? ;)

Got a ready to shave Vintage Wapienica with natural paccawood scales (handle)
    http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/page95.html

I am going to leave it for Sunday morning and take my time....

I want to try some shave soap, the Kent/Mitchell's Wool Fat gets a very good review on badger and blade for sensetive skin (me)
    Any thoughts/comments/ other recommendations from seasoned soap users?

Got a ready to shave Vintage Wapienica with natural paccawood scales (handle)
    http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/page95.html

I am going to leave it for Sunday morning and take my time....

I want to try some shave soap, the Kent/Mitchell's Wool Fat gets a very good review on badger and blade for sensetive skin (me)
    Any thoughts/comments/ other recommendations from seasoned soap users?

Cool. I've bought a bunch of stuff of that guy in the past. I much prefer shave cream (easier to measure and quicker to lather). Having said that the Wool Fat soap is very good as is Proraso, or a French brand I sometime use called Plisson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I see alot of people think that the more lather the better. Why is this ? I wouldn't be in that camp at all as even if you have an inch thick of lather only a very small about is going to be in contact with your face, and that will be removed after the first stroke anyway.
    I think it's all about the quality of the cream and how easy it glides the razor over your face rather than the amount if foams up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Personally speaking, I was referring to the quality of lather with the new brush. Yes, there was way more lather too, but it means I can back off a nit the next time. I always try to keep a thin layer on my face.

Amalgam wrote: »
    DamoElDiablo, that seems ok. Make sure you're happy with the razor. I noticed under that offer that they sell.. Wild Rose scented shaving cream.

http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/product.php?productid=2588&page=

The smell must be a treat, not sure I'd want to be going about my business smelling *of it*, but it would be nice to use.

Shaving creams are formulated so that that you get the aroma/scent when using it, rather than it perfuming you for the day :D My favourite scents include Rose, Lavender, Violet, Coconut, Sandalwood and Avocado. All of which disipate as soon as you rinse it off after shaving.

Jip wrote: »
    I see alot of people think that the more lather the better. Why is this ? I wouldn't be in that camp at all as even if you have an inch thick of lather only a very small about is going to be in contact with your face, and that will be removed after the first stroke anyway.
    I think it's all about the quality of the cream and how easy it glides the razor over your face rather than the amount if foams up.

Exactly it's all about lubrication and getting the beard as prepped as possible. You only need enough lather cover the beard not drown it in an inch of foam :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Gentlemen, firstly many thanks to those of you have posted on this thread. Like many others I've toyed with the idea of switching from
    the Fusion blades to safety razors and the posts on this thread have
    convinced me to do so.

I've ordered the following today from shaving shack:
    Merkur Futur 760 Safety Razor with Satin Chrome Finish
    Styptic Pencil
    Taylor Of Old Bond St Two Piece Gift Set
    Taylor of Old Bond St Shaving Cream (Sandalwood 150g)
    Taylor Of Old Bond St Sandalwood Soap and Bowl
    30 Israeli Made Double Edged Razor Blades
    10 Derby Extra and 10 Israeli Made Double Edged Razor Blades

They are out of stock of feather blades.

Did I forget anything I need?

Can anyone advise how long delivery normally takes?

Another question I have is that I often use a Mach 3 or Fusion to shave
    my head, none of that electric hair trimmer number one for me, just run
    the razor all over. Is anyone brave or mad enough to have done similar
    with a Merkur? It'll kill me if I end up using a safety razor for my face but
    keep having to buy Fusion blades for my head.

Did I forget anything I need?

As long as you have a brush in there somewhere you're good to go. An alum block is also useful as is some kind of after shave balm. Some Merkur blades would be worth a try too.

A couple of my mates use a safety razor on their heads with no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Perhaps a pre-shave soap, but you'll have enough to get going anyway. And a brush, of course.

Thanks guys, there is a badger brush in one of the Taylor items.
    I have one already but thought there was no harm in getting a new one.

I've used a shaving brush for the last 5 years or more as even with
    the Fusion/Mach3 I find it helps.

Great news re: the headshaving, I'll let you know how I get on!

Can anyone advise how long delivery normally takes?

First time I ordered from them I ordered on a saturday I had it on the following friday, last order was last saturday I;m expecting it this Friday :)

Thanks guys, there is a badger brush in one of the Taylor items.
    I have one already but thought there was no harm in getting a new one.

Start with the cream rather than the saop - it's easier to use.

Here's my order due this week, figuired I'd try out a few things and see whats best :)

Tube Omega Shaving Cream (147g) #2722
    Truefitt & Hill Luxury Pre Shave Oil (56g) #2802
    Taylor of Old Bond St Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin (150g) #2816
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap Refill (120g) #2792
    Taylor of Old Bond St Herbal Pre-Shave Gel (30ml) #2825
    Progress Vulfix 2235 Super Badger Shaving Brush #2716

Cabaal, I'm inching towards a Vulfix as well, I must have a look at what you're buying.

I was in the St. Stephens Green Shopping Center today, Knights Barber had one or two open comb Merkur razors, a Muehle Barber Pole with an open comb I think (not sure..) with a very bright silver finish. Nice item.

There was a box for a HD, the sticker was on it. There was a box for a Progress, it was at the back somewhere. Some middle of the road Badger brushes at between 25 and 40. One superb Badger brush, silver tip (almost an Afro..) at about 80 euro.

There you have it, if anyone is in the mood for instant Merkur and Muehle satisfaction, Knights have them in stock. No prices visible sadly.

MediaTank, I might order that Rose.. I'm intrigued by some of the Speick products they carry, I'll just bunch the order together.

Gran Hermano, great pack of gear.. the Futur is a heavy razor, you're in for a shock. You can break bus and train windows with it, in case of an accident..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Works fine. Just be careful...

Once again thanks to all on this thread, I can't wait to get my delivery.

I also ended up putting in an order on Connaught - the plan was just to
    pick up some feather blades but I ended up spending another GBP50
    on other odds and ends and potions and lotions!

I picked up loads of cheap Fusion blades from chemistdirect.co.uk
    following a recent thread on bargain alerts here, but if all goes to plan
    I'll pass them off to family members.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Here's my order due this week, figuired I'd try out a few things and see whats best :)

Tube Omega Shaving Cream (147g) #2722
    Truefitt & Hill Luxury Pre Shave Oil (56g) #2802
    Taylor of Old Bond St Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin (150g) #2816
    Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap Refill (120g) #2792
    Taylor of Old Bond St Herbal Pre-Shave Gel (30ml) #2825
    Progress Vulfix 2235 Super Badger Shaving Brush #2716

Good selection of stuff. Interesting that you went for pre-shave oil. I've never rated the stuff, but a lot of barbers in the USA swaer buy it. If I need extra 'glide' I use Trumper Coral Skin Food.

• Advertisement

Well Lads,
    I got my first shave with WARS cream this morn, nice 'old school' fresh smell. Personally I dont think its quiet up there with my Taylor, but very close for the price! Its plenty good enough for the Work shaves, and keep the Taylor for the Sun Morn shaves.

I also got my Straight Razor, I'v ordered the DVD from StraightRazorPlace and Im going to wait for that, I recon I need all the help I can get!

I also use the Proraso pre-shave oil, I find it good as my beard is wiry, but I would like to hear from other people on similar products and how they find them

Advertisement