Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv Deals in Christmas Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

when does the currys sale start? stephens day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

skelliser wrote: »
    when does the currys sale start? stephens day?

+1, what time is it starting?

Also of interest
    http://www.currys.ie/

Samsung 40" Full HD, 40B530, €525,

Dont want to start an LCD vs Plasma debate lads but IMO, that offers a better deal than that Samsung plasma for 499€, samsungs plasma's are average at best whereas at LCD's, samsung are top of the league IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

according to the website it starts stephens day, dont know the time tho, assume its 9 since its a saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

any word on a ~50% back in vouchers offer in tesco?
    They normally have one around xmas or new years I think

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mangledbadgers

Hmmm I'm half tempted to queue tonight to get one of the Samsung TV's for 99e, anyone have experience of how to do it properly, can you sleep in the line? Where do you run for the LCD TV's? Are there people queeing now at 3pm on Christmas Day? Any advice/info appreciated!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hmmm I'm half tempted to queue tonight to get one of the Samsung TV's for 99e, anyone have experience of how to do it properly, can you sleep in the line? Where do you run for the LCD TV's? Are there people queeing now at 3pm on Christmas Day? Any advice/info appreciated!!!
    Pay a homeless person €50 to do it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

you'd want to be pretty sad "get a life":P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

They should give you a voucher for the tv, so when your paying for it you hand in the voucher as well

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

There is a que outside Arnotts already:eek: ! 15 people all hoping to get bargains ! It is freezing cold - are these people mad :mad:

Can ya imagine how cold it would be at 4am...

epo addict wrote: »
    There is a que outside Arnotts already:eek: ! 15 people all hoping to get bargains ! It is freezing cold - are these people mad :mad:

Good lord, finish your Turkey and Brussels Sprouts first anyways! :O

Anyone have a chance to check yesterdays Sun to see when Currys are opening tomorrow btw? Tempted bt that 40B530 but seeing as that offer is on all week, there no rush i guess! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

epo addict wrote: »

I'd do it if I lived in Dublin! Boys are acting crazy all day, so I'd get a break from them:pac::pac:

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Good lord, finish your Turkey and Brussels Sprouts first anyways! :O

Anyone have a chance to check yesterdays Sun to see when Currys are opening tomorrow btw? Tempted bt that 40B530 but seeing as that offer is on all week, there no rush i guess! :)

The one in Mahon in Cork is opening at 9.00am so I assume all other stores will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

a bientot wrote: »
    but could it be better?

It is amazing that 'out of date' tv sets continue to be sold here in Ireland because retailers seem to think (or want their customers to think) that UK tv sets are standard here. This is ok if one is a satellite (Sky) or UPC (cable) customer. But if the service breaks down now it is possible to pick up the four Irish services. When digital terrestrial tv (DTH) launches in mid 2009 and analogue is withdrawn then the set becomes a mere monitor......For those with aerials receiving the UK stations then the same applies in a short few years.

This new service (replacing analogue through the air) will be provided in
    MPEG4 (NOT MPEG2 that most sets are here on sale in Ireland showing the HD ready/enabled logo))

In France all tv sets since 1 December 08 have to show the HDtv logo if the
    tv set is capable of receiving HD tv via terrestrial means and in order to
    do this the tv set MUST be DVB-T MPEG4. It is interesting to note that 90% of tv sets in the main stores (observed by me last week) are in this category thus the other sets are effectively obsolete even though they adequately pick up the ordinary 18 dth FREE channels. Likewise in the U.K.

In our case the service will be be in MPEG4 from the launch so why would
    anyone in Ireland (republic) buy an MPEG2 set .....yes there is great room
    for (further) negotiation if a salesperson tries to foist an MPEG2 on any of you.......

Wher'rd ya get that add? Its last years offers!! I work there.

EDIT: Oh! Looks like the thread is a year old :D My bad :P

lindtee wrote: »
    The one in Mahon in Cork is opening at 9.00am so I assume all other stores will be the same.
    Thanks, did you see the ad in the Sun? Is it just those three special offers that were posted in the earlier post?

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Thanks, did you see the ad in the Sun? Is it just those three special offers that were posted in the earlier post?

No, I was taking a look at the mahon point retail park opening hours for the 26th (mainly to see is argos open tomorrow) and saw the opening hours for currys. It looks like currys is the only store open there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭bob123456

degsie wrote: »
    Yeah, just about to post that

SPECIALSSALEWINTER09.jpg

Get in early!

Most of these items are now gone.

The TV's will be taken by a group of 10 Chinese who have being there since this morning and there's a queue of about 25 more people there.

You might get a bed if that's what you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niveus Tauri

bob123456 wrote: »
    Most of these items are now gone.

The TV's will be taken by a group of 10 Chinese who have being there since this morning and there's a queue of about 25 more people there.

You might get a bed if that's what you're after.

are you just guessing about the queue, or you were there and saw it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭bob123456

are you just guessing about the queue, or you were there and saw it yourself?

I was there myself at around 8pm this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Has anyone spotted any good LCDs over 46" on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

I posted the following on "that other cork forum"

For anyone interested, i had a look around Harvey norman today and expert electrical.
    In Hn The prices are all after being marked up. eg... an 8404 is 929 with the Special discount, last week it was 899.
    Expert electrical are offering "20%" off all models with a special "2 year warrently on philips tvs just for today" . 2 year warrenty is standard on all philips tvs. The price with discount is no different from the prices offered in the weeks up to xmas.

So be careful with prices....do ur research

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

iknorr wrote: »
    For anyone interested, i had a look around Harvey norman today and expert electrical.
    In Hn The prices are all after being marked up. eg... an 8404 is 929 with the Special discount, last week it was 899.

Is this actually legal? I thought there was something about shops doing this breaking some law or other?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Found the same thing going on in DID. Philips 42" 8404 with dvd player and stand is €1149,after a €200 discount. It was exactly the same price a week before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

I got myself a Sony bravia 32" (kdl 32s5650) and a sony blu ray player for €499 in expert electrical, which i am happy enough with.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Did anybody spotted Panasonic TX-P50G10 with decent discount ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Spotted a Samsung Series 5 - 32" Full HD (1080p) for €430 in Powecity.

Good price I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭costacurta

What's the cheapest 50 inch tv out there in the sales? Would love to add on to the sitting room

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

costacurta wrote: »
    What's the cheapest 50 inch tv out there in the sales? Would love to add on to the sitting room

I've been looking for a 1080p 50" Samsung plamsa. DID and Powercity have the same one ps50b551 for about €950. However, if you are able to go up north Dixons and Currys have the PS50B530S for £599 = approx €660. The Samsung down south seems to be a better spec but not almost €300 better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭dogeyknees

Found the same thing going on in DID. Philips 42" 8404 with dvd player and stand is €1149,after a €200 discount. It was exactly the same price a week before Christmas.

DID Sale started a week before Christmas so the prices were already at Sale prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gus99

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Is this actually legal? I thought there was something about shops doing this breaking some law or other?? :confused:

Not sure if actually illegal, but certainly in breach of the NCA 28 day rule - the "original" price should have been in place for at least 28 days or the discount to be valid. Harvey Norman sale prices are often a complete sham - buyer beware.

http://www.nca.ie/eng/Research_Zone/Consultation/Advertising/Draft_guidelines_on_price_discounts_part_3.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Dazzy wrote: »
    I've been looking for a 1080p 50" Samsung plamsa. DID and Powercity have the same one ps50b551 for about €950. However, if you are able to go up north Dixons and Currys have the PS50B530S for £599 = approx €660. The Samsung down south seems to be a better spec but not almost €300 better.

Currys in Liffey Valley have the PS50B53S for €799 - down €200. I asked about matching the price with up North (£599) but they don't do this.

Advertisement