Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv Deals in Christmas Sales

Options
  • 24-12-2008 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Firstly, i thought instead of boardsies going out tomorrow morning buying the papers in order to find out about these, it would be better if we had one thread in which we could list the deals in all the bricks n mortar shops

Anyway, Power City have already published their deals for St Stephens Day.Have a look here. Some of the offers are pretty tempting

I'd be grateful if people could post the offers for DID, Currys and Harvey Normans. Its just that i'm down in Cork and i have no Power City near me. Thanks...

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

power city site is down at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Will keep an eye out for you. Not in the market for electricals but if I hear anything-will keep you poste. Perhaps we should have a Cork Sales Bargains thread for all of us corkonians(cause we are brill)

Will be heading into the sales v. early on Saturday and will report back then! Waterstones always has good bargains on the first day, ditto eason(last year anyways) and zavvi isn't too bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

copacetic wrote: »
    power city site is down at the moment?

Odd, that link is working perfectly for me:confused::confused:

weird alright I'm getting their logo and

include ('contactus.php');

for every page I try.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Link works fine for me too.

• Advertisement

stop showing off and dish the info on some of the best deals so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Could people post model numbers if they find them out?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

copacetic wrote: »
    stop showing off and dish the info on some of the best deals so!
    Good laptop fo €480. 2Ghz core 2 duo, 4GBs ram and a 250GB hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

For the OP here.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69072&d=1230080288

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Which tele is the one to get, is it LCD's or Plasma's which burn the image into the screen after awhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That'd be Plasma TVs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

RasTa wrote: »
    Which tele is the one to get, is it LCD's or Plasma's which burn the image into the screen after awhile.

Partly depends on size - under 40in = LCD, over 40in = Plasma.

For normal tv watching, minimal games etcetera then in my opinion plasma offers far better value for money and a much better picture.

A good 50in plasma can be had for less than €700 - think back two years to the price of a 42in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭a bientot

but could it be better?

It is amazing that 'out of date' tv sets continue to be sold here in Ireland because retailers seem to think (or want their customers to think) that UK tv sets are standard here. This is ok if one is a satellite (Sky) or UPC (cable) customer. But if the service breaks down now it is possible to pick up the four Irish services. When digital terrestrial tv (DTH) launches in mid 2009 and analogue is withdrawn then the set becomes a mere monitor......For those with aerials receiving the UK stations then the same applies in a short few years.

This new service (replacing analogue through the air) will be provided in
    MPEG4 (NOT MPEG2 that most sets are here on sale in Ireland showing the HD ready/enabled logo))

In France all tv sets since 1 December 08 have to show the HDtv logo if the
    tv set is capable of receiving HD tv via terrestrial means and in order to
    do this the tv set MUST be DVB-T MPEG4. It is interesting to note that 90% of tv sets in the main stores (observed by me last week) are in this category thus the other sets are effectively obsolete even though they adequately pick up the ordinary 18 dth FREE channels. Likewise in the U.K.

In our case the service will be be in MPEG4 from the launch so why would
    anyone in Ireland (republic) buy an MPEG2 set .....yes there is great room
    for (further) negotiation if a salesperson tries to foist an MPEG2 on any of you.......

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

That'd be Plasma TVs
    Not so much of a problem these days methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

stay at home, spend time with the kids, your family.

Watch a movie about a<insert animal> risking all to save his <insert something>

Drink wine & relax.

These sales will not end in January or even 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Was in Currys in Carrickmines today, some manner of sale had started and select TV's had up to €60 off, wow. A 37" that is €630 up North was going for over €800. I know where I'll be heading in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i myself am looking at the samsung 32" hd telly. Gorgous telly, is 450 of komplett and looked the best price, with most irish stores charging 500.

Heard up north its 300 euro...thats where im heading next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Currys UK website has their St. Stephen's Day stuff. Is this TV worth going up north for? Why is it referred to as 'HD Ready'? I thought 1080p was full hd? :confused:

Shamrok wrote: »
    Currys website has their St. Stephen's Day stuff. Is this TV worth going up north for? Why is it referred to as 'HD Ready'? I thought 1080p was full hd? :confused:
    HD ready 1080p is an actual standard. Full HD is just a buzz word for a tv that can do 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

i myself am looking at the samsung 32" hd telly. Gorgous telly, is 450 of komplett and looked the best price, with most irish stores charging 500.

Heard up north its 300 euro...thats where im heading next week

Where exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

currys

its the samsung 32", it sonly 720p but im not really that bothered, its jsut i want something flawless for watching tv and xbox

Anybody body know if Currys in Newry is open tomorrow and if so what time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭wannabepr

I Know a Guy Who Works For Currys. 32" Samsung is down to €399. Great price for them. Def going to pick one up for my new xbox .

Opened at 9!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Have you tried the Currys website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Was thinking the same, they usually open on "Boxing Day".

https://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/editorial/peak%20opening%20hours

Excellent, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

how bout enniskillen is there a chain electrical store there??? need a large plasma screen!! i still think the bargains up north will justify the trip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

futura123 wrote: »
    how bout enniskillen is there a chain electrical store there??? need a large plasma screen!! i still think the bargains up north will justify the trip
    http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/storeLocatorPortal.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0144576616.1230206876@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladefmhdiffecflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&storeCode=&service_name=Currys

Yes enniskillen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

whats the harvey norman sale like? think i saw an add for a 42" for 499e? not sure was it an lcd or plasma, or 1080p or 720p... anyone know? why the hell dont they give the model number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Advertisement