Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv Deals in Christmas Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Bought this today and for €450 its great. Good sound and picture quality but its the first lcd iv bought so cant compare with anything.

Powercity include a stand with it, which cost £75 on currys.co.uk

Get it in newry though, save yourself loads of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I had a quick look in the Sony Centre today, their great "Sale", has the Sony W4500 + blueray at €1499. It's been that price for weeks! Not to mention that the same package can be bought for hundreds less north of the border. Even Powercity is doing it for €1299 - http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-40W450

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

boopolo wrote: »
    Indeed it is a fantastic telly. But the 32w4500 is now the champion.

That's interesting - can you provide a link to the 32W4500?
    As far as I can tell it has never existed. And sony.co.uk doesn't know about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Bought this today and for €450 its great. Good sound and picture quality but its the first lcd iv bought so cant compare with anything.

Powercity include a stand with it, which cost £75 on currys.co.uk

Get it in newry though, save yourself loads of money.

Works out at 312.289 EUR over the Border - and thats very cheap for any 32" lcd..................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I had a quick look in the Sony Centre today, their great "Sale", has the Sony W4500 + blueray at €1499. It's been that price for weeks! Not to mention that the same package can be bought for hundreds less north of the border. Even Powercity is doing it for €1299 - http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-40W450

I went into PC World in Galway it was around €1149, the Sony centre across the road had it for €1499 and the other Sony Centre in galway had it for €1699.

Same models and deals.

Calebmcd wrote: »
    I went into PC World in Galway it was around €1149, the Sony centre across the road had it for €1499 and the other Sony Centre in galway had it for €1699.

Same models and deals.

€1149 ?! Are you sure that wasn't the W4000 model? An unbelievable deal if its the exact same package (inc blueray player and 5-yr warranty). Must look tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'm looking for a 26 inch TV for a spare room, anyone seen any good deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

I'm looking for a 26 inch TV for a spare room, anyone seen any good deals.

+1

Lookin' for the same for daughter's room, even 22" would do...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

there was a 26inch philips in both DID and Power City for 299.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

€1149 ?! Are you sure that wasn't the W4000 model? An unbelievable deal if its the exact same package (inc blueray player and 5-yr warranty). Must look tomorrow!

I called Harvey Norman in Naas yesterday asking about this telly(40W4500). Apparently it's out of stock until the 3rd Jan. However he said that although the guide price is €1249, he expected them to be brought down to around €999.

I don't know if this is true, but I hope so, and it might be worth a call to see what price it ends up at.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭M.T

If you are playing around with the whole Dixions and Currys and pcworld thing then Dixions seems to be better. Free delivery for a start and then check out the price differences for the same packages...

Samsung LE32A456C 32" HD Ready Digital LCD TV + Black Glass Stand
    Dixions = 329.99 STG
    Pcworld = 369.99
    Package not available in Currys.

SAMSUNG 32A456 Z3 32" HD Ready Digital LCD TV with Home Cinema System and Stand
    Dixions = 439.99
    Currys = 499.99
    PCworld = 499.99

I checked and all the packages had the same items and model numbers. As best as I could see!

Dixions http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0231162519.1230381248@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccekadegdddefdjcflgceggdhhmdfog.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=725233&category_oid=

Currys http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1245555630.1230381647@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccedadegdfjdhffcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&category_oid=&sku=725233&page=Product&fm=12&sm=0&tm=1

pcworld http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1447107270.1230381893@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceladegdekhdedcflgceggdhhmdfoj.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=725233&category_oid=

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

turly wrote: »
    That's interesting - can you provide a link to the 32W4500?
    As far as I can tell it has never existed. And sony.co.uk doesn't know about it...

It does'nt exist. The W4500 series is from 40" on. Sony's best 32" is the 32w4000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 egoods

Hi Guys,

Most of us are looking for a large TV for Sitting Room etc. I've been looking for 3-4 weeks for my sister for the Sony KDL40Z4500. This TV is IMO the best 40" you can buy.

See here:

http://www.sonycentres.ie/product.asp?did=161_7_959_2838_961

The price of this telly is €2099 (powercity), and more in Sony shops.

Found it here, http://www.1staudiovisual.co.uk/catalog/sony-kdl40z4500-inch-p-5169.html for £1195 plus £149 shipping. Thats only €1300 at todays rates..... delivered.

If anyone knows a better 40" at this price let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭PG4000

I just posted this in consumer issues and wonder if anyone would like to take a visit to DID and try get a TV with €200 free vouchers with DID
    PG4000 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Going to have a bit of a rant here, but here it goes....

My brother decided to get a new TV today in the sales, so I went with him to see what offers were on. We went to Power City first to have a look. My brother had his eye on a 32 inch LG which they were selling for €399. We took note and went to D.I.D. to see if they were doing the same deal.

So we get there and see that the LG is €499. Knowing that they match prices and give you double the difference if other electical retailers are selling cheaper, we tell him that Power City are selling it at €399. The salesperson says "Oh well we need a written quote from them to prove it".

So to save a trip back to Power City, I got my phone out and got online and show him the Power City website showing the LG for €399. He goes off to check if this is valid enough proof and comes back saying "Yep, thats fine but you have to go to our Fonthill warehouse to collect it because he have none left here".

So we agree and then enquire about the double the difference back, and he says "Oh yeah, I just have to check that with the manager as i've never processed this before."

Saleperson comes back clutching a DID tag saying, "Actually, this TV is €399". Confused, my brother asks, "Well why is it priced up at €499 on the display model?"

"Oh eh, thats what price it usually is, but today its €399 for the first ten people who buy it and we have one left." (This was at 2pm today, so i'm pretty sure it was well snapped up early this morning.)

My brother starts kicking up a fuss about false advertisment and what not and then the manager tells us "that people cancel orders blah blah blah and that we have one left and thats why it is €399 still."

Brother walks out of the store telling the manager that its a scam and makes sure he lets other people standing around know it too. As we walk out the manager is still telling us that we can have it at €399 to which my brother repsonds that he'd rather deal with Power City.

The funny thing is, the salesperson never put the €399 price back on the display model, he put it back behind the counter.

So, I wonder has anyone every gotten "double the difference back" from DID or do they pull this scam on anyone that claims it. Don't think i'll be doing any business again with them in a hurry and i'll make sure I tell anyone I know to try and tarnish there image of having "guaranteed friendly knowledgeable service and Ireland’s lowest prices on top brand electrical goods."

Rant over!

So if anyone wants a 32 inch LG TV for €399 and in return get €198 back in DID vouchers for claiming the Power City price, then by all means try it and hopefully you won't get scammed like we were!

PS. These prices are only for today in both stores!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Yep it is their top TV. The difference between the 'w' and the 'Z' is the motion flow 200hz and the inbuilt speaker system on the 40Z4500. If you are running your tv through an AV amp I dont think it would be worth the extra money.

40W4500 What Hi-Fi Review

40Z4500 What Hi-Fi Review

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

joey54 wrote: »
    Am pretty sure you can get more telly for your money than that (£550). Personally I dont like the LGs. Have a 32" in my bedroom. Sound is poor. The model you are showing suffers from same bad speakers. The 40" samsung I have in Living room is far better, but I have the sound going through an AV amp, so it matters not.

I would recommend the Sony 40V4000 or if your budget stretches the 40W4000.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

M.T If you are playing around with the whole Dixions and Currys and pcworld thing then Dixions seems to be better. Free delivery for a start and then check out the price differences for the same packages...

Samsung LE32A456C 32" HD Ready Digital LCD TV + Black Glass Stand
    Dixions = 329.99 STG
    Pcworld = 369.99
    Package not available in Currys.

SAMSUNG 32A456 Z3 32" HD Ready Digital LCD TV with Home Cinema System and Stand
    Dixions = 439.99
    Currys = 499.99
    PCworld = 499.99

I checked and all the packages had the same items and model numbers. As best as I could see!

Dixions http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/stor...&category_oid=

Currys http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/stor...m=12&sm=0&tm=1

pcworld http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=

I wonder what the Irish part of these companies are charing for the same products .

Now that the Euro is worth 96p i bet this isn't reflected in the sale prices in Ireland .

That 42" Lcd TV that's in currys is on pixmaina.ie
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1747676/art/lg/42lg7000-lcd-television.html
    g_01262720.jpg
    €899

And is on pixmaina.co.uk

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1576947/art/lg/42lg7000-lcd-television.html
    g_01061205.jpg
    £549

Now where on this earth does £549 = €899 , Even with the worst convertion rate in the world. Doesn't Pixmania ship everything from the same place so why such a difference.

• Advertisement

brophs wrote: »
    I called Harvey Norman in Naas yesterday asking about this telly(40W4500). Apparently it's out of stock until the 3rd Jan. However he said that although the guide price is €1249, he expected them to be brought down to around €999.

I don't know if this is true, but I hope so, and it might be worth a call to see what price it ends up at.

OK, I checked both Sony centres today in Galway, both still have this TV priced at €1499, incl blue ray and 5 yr warranty. In other words, its the same price as it was all month! I played dumb and yer man was telling me it was a fantastic deal... yeah right.

D.I.D. Galway also have it, same price as Sony Centre, with the sticker saying "WAS €1649"! PC World don't have it in stock at all (I dunno what the previous poster was talking about).

Sales in Galway are an absolute joke! The prices in UK / Northern Ireland in particular have really opened my eyes to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭M.T

Ozeire wrote: »
    I wonder what the Irish part of these companies are charing for the same products .

Now that the Euro is worth 96p i bet this isn't reflected in the sale prices in Ireland .

Now where on this earth does £549 = €899 , Even with the worst convertion rate in the world. Doesn't Pixmania ship everything from the same place so why such a difference.

As much as I am avoiding being "ripped off" by buying stuff from the UK etc I do feel, in a very small way, for the retailers here. Like a real small way :)

It is ok to say the currency is xyz today but I can only imagine that if some of these guys are buying their stock in advance, like about 2 months ago, they can't take advantage of todays currency. Up until november it was mostly at .76p for a euro.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know how the retail business works (rebates/sale or return etc/payment scheduals) but as much as some were taking the michael with their profits I doubt they can compete with todays currency.

I am not avoiding shopping in the south because I was being "ripped off" I am just taking advantage of favourable currency conditions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Sales in Galway are an absolute joke! The prices in UK / Northern Ireland in particular have really opened my eyes to it.

Same everywhere. I went to Harvy Normans VIP night before Christmas. Discount applied the TV's were still 200-500 more expensive then an undiscounted TV shipped from the UK by courier to my door by 1staudiovisual.co.uk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

M.T wrote: »
    As much as I am avoiding being "ripped off" by buying stuff from the UK etc I do feel, in a very small way, for the retailers here. Like a real small way :)

It is ok to say the currency is xyz today but I can only imagine that if some of these guys are buying their stock in advance, like about 2 months ago, they can't take advantage of todays currency. Up until november it was mostly at .76p for a euro.

Don't get me wrong, I don't know how the retail business works (rebates/sale or return etc/payment scheduals) but as much as some were taking the michael with their profits I doubt they can compete with todays currency.

I am not avoiding shopping in the south because I was being "ripped off" I am just taking advantage of favourable currency conditions.

I think you can be fairly sure that they are creaming as much as possible based on the exchange rates - especially the UK multiples; they are taking from their UK stock and screwing us who pay in the €. They are not getting the best of rate when transferring back from € to STG but I am sure it will sit in some kinda holding account making interest and then transfer it back when rate gets better - or as you can guess all their IR costs will come out of it;l wages, rent etc.

Personally, I just would not even consider buying AV in the South at present. I am regularly in NI on business and get to see first hand how much we get ripped off - especially on baby food!!:mad:

My rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

I'm planning on heading up to Newry shortly to pick up a 40"+ 1080p Tv. I see a lot of u are doing this already, are there any issues with buying up north and using down south. Connecting tv to ntl/upc analogue, but will also be using bluray in time amongst other HD sources.

Thanks for any help you can offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

What would people's reactions be if Sterling strengthened against the Euro forcing Euro prices up to keep parity against Sterling?

As a result of a number of planned measures the pound is devaluing quickly which is what the UK government wants right now. Can anyone tell me why or how a major shop can make quick price changes based on exchange rate movements? It's not practical. I assume that by the start of the next retail quarter there will be less discrepancy in pricing between the Euro and the pound.

Major retailer, two stores one north and one south. On the Euro price a certain amount is charged to rent, overheads, wages, vat etc which gives a profit level. On the UK price a similar amount is charged which also gives a profit level. Maybe I'm being naive but wouldn't both stores be looking to achieve the same gross profit level. I know of one restaurant I worked in had a GP level of +/(-) 3% across the majority of it's stores North and South a couple of years ago.

Before anyone jumps on me, yes the pricing difference is phenomenal and I'm sure there's retailers out there milking it but is it any different than going to somewhere like America and buying Ipods €100 odd cheaper than here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

I bought a 32" LG and a 42" LG at Currys Newry on St Stephens Day.

I would have preferred to buy it here in Drogheda, but few months ago I walked in local Currys as they had a poster outside the shop offering a decent deal on a Sony 32" + home theater set. The bloke there pretends to not to know anything about the deal, and after I brought him outside his own shop and read the ad to him, he went back to his computer, and said well, we don't have any in stock unfortunately..!! Why the banner so? Ah well, but they have some in their Navan store. I then politely asked if he can reserve one for me in Navan - I can pay now, or in Navan - its just that I don't want to drive over and to be told its out of stock - he just shook his head and said 'no, can't do reserve like that'. He looked almost happy to say that to me.

Compare that to Currys Newry on Friday morning. There were bargain hunters chasing down every staff on the floor going 'me me me', and still the girl who helped us was very polite, helpful, explained other offers and walked us thru feature comparison etc, and took our order and arranged for it to be loaded into the car and we were out of there in 20 mins! Same Currys, entirely different experience! < End of rant >

I bought the LG 42LG7000 to replace an old boards favorite Tesco Technosonic 32". I was going to try and get a Sony KDL40V4000 from RicherSounds, but I figured this LG is probably a better deal - its 100Hz, and amongst other features like TruMotion and other techspeak, its UI / software is simple and very useable. Not a bad TV for £549, which is about €580 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I was also in Currys on Friday morning, with all the other early risers. Had a close call though when I double checked the right model had been loaded into the boot of my car, wrong set! Series 4 Samsung instead of the series 5 I had paid for, imagine getting back to Dublin and finding that you had to trun around and go back up. Now if they had loaded a series 6 instead, that wouldn't have been so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

I think you can be fairly sure that they are creaming as much as possible based on the exchange rates - especially the UK multiples; they are taking from their UK stock and screwing us who pay in the €. They are not getting the best of rate when transferring back from € to STG but I am sure it will sit in some kinda holding account making interest and then transfer it back when rate gets better - or as you can guess all their IR costs will come out of it;l wages, rent etc.

Personally, I just would not even consider buying AV in the South at present. I am regularly in NI on business and get to see first hand how much we get ripped off - especially on baby food!!:mad:

My rant over.

It's a justified rant - I bought the Irish Times and the (UK)Times this morning. The same Dell laptop was advertised in both - at £399 in the UK and €549 in Ireland. Both ads were for PC World.

Convert the currency, add on 6.5% for the VAT difference and tell me we're not being shafted down here.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The Irish Times is way cheaper up North as well.. though we don't hear Conor Pope ranting about that....

Advertisement