Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Supercell wrote: »
    A day without puking!! Could this be the start of something wonderful! :D
    Thanks guys, puking, crying or whatever we'll get through it, easy for me to say, as she constantly reminds me!!

i know your pain... i only started the puking in the last few weeks due to being ill ( we are 35 weeks now) i actually have sympathy for the men- putting up with us women not knowing whats wrong with us

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Well another day gone and she says she feels almost normal, no puking now for two days in a row and we actually went for a walk in the park today! Seems like it was darkest before the dawn, hopefully thats all behind us now!
    Next time I'm counting down the minutes and days to 13 weeks and 3 days preggers :p

She is far happier and the world is full of sunshine and joy again (thank God!!) :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I've been reading through these for a good while but never contributed, despite being occasionally tempted. I suppose I'm not a big talker. Perhaps I should have contributed - just how I'm feeling, what was going on etc. It would help with the general community of us 'outsiders' ;) (males) and provide a bit of support to those who are going through similar things.

Anyway, my little son was born this morning. There was a LOT of work by his Mam getting up to that point, but despite his head being down, he was facing up (Mam's tummy) rather than down (Mam's back) and he just didn't want to turn around despite the contractions etc. All's well that ends well, decision was made for c-section and he was delivered shortly after that decision. He's a little beaut and, for me, the encouragement I got about how it will feel to be a dad etc. doesn't come near what it feels like. Not even 1 million miles near it. And that's on a large scale map!

Also, I would like to raise a toast to the women in our lives who do this fantastic job to 'cultivate' and deliver beautiful children. Hip Hip...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Synchronicity

for me, the encouragement I got about how it will feel to be a dad etc. doesn't come near what it feels like. Not even 1 million miles near it. And that's on a large scale map!

Also, I would like to raise a toast to the women in our lives who do this fantastic job to 'cultivate' and deliver beautiful children. Hip Hip...

...hooray!

That's good to hear. Apprehensive I won't be as blown away as I should be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I think you'd need to be some sort of stone to not feel some combination of happiness / joy / pride (in your woman) / concern / relief and I'm sure many others that I'm not thinking of right now. In fact, all I can think of right now is his little face :)

• Advertisement

We got a scan today in the Euromedic clinic and all went great :D
    The baby was moving around and we got to listen to its heartbeat, really amazing experience.

I really feel like a dad now, kind of scary to be honest!!

176418.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Congrats Supercell, I was having my scan at exactly the same time ( 8:55 ) as your OH this morning and I am also 14 weeks, how weird is that :D

14 week scan.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jam and toast

Hi all, just wanted to introduce myself, I've had a read through some of this thread (though not all 43 pages!)

My wife and I are expecting our first baby, just about 8 weeks gone now. All going well so far, no morning sickness (yet), just tiredness and headaches. I'm really excited and terrified about it all, though mostly excited I think!

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, it's good to know there's a place for Irish fathers-to-be to chat and ask questions. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Congrats Jam and Toast.

Just wanted to introduce myself also.

Just found out my wife is expecting. She is 6 weeks pregnant.

I am absolutely delighted! Totally excited, not at all scared (yet).

The only thing is it feels a bit unreal at the moment! It's such early doors I suppose.

Wife is doing fine at the moment - no major negative symptoms, maybe just tiredness, although they say this week is when morning sickness kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Congrats to the lads who just found out they are to be dads!

Herself was due yesterday, am on edge here in work waiting for a call or something telling me to go. arghhhhh, I'm not built for this suspense!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Best of luck RedXIV!
    It's not easy waiting for something you've no control over:)

After a long time trying(3.5 years) and been given a 1% chance of conception,we're expecting our first in March-all going well so far. Broke the news 2 weeks ago,everybody was so happy for us it's unreal.
    No real sickness,just that OH suffers periodic migraine and gets no relief from physio or exercising and really suffers when they come on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Congrats Staker.

Best of luck with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

RedXIV wrote: »
    Congrats to the lads who just found out they are to be dads!

Herself was due yesterday, am on edge here in work waiting for a call or something telling me to go. arghhhhh, I'm not built for this suspense!!!

Red i take it that you have been mad busy with the baby to let us know that she had it.
    But if you get a min between the changing the nappies and the feeding let us know how you got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Up to week 18 now
    Poor wife is still very bad with nausea and sickness.
    We were back in the hospital 2 weeks ago for dehydration due to not being able to keep anything down.
    Still the medication is helping a lot this past week.

Feel so sorry for the Mrs sometimes I dont know what is worse for her, the sickness or me fluttering helplessly around and being absolutely feck all use :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

One tip for dads who have to park for extended periods near Holles St. There is an empty office block on Gratten Lane (the tiniest little road halfway down Gratten street). http://g.co/maps/t5qa4

The developer/builder has stuck in a parking meter and there's loads of parking (surface and underground) for €2 per hour up to a max of €10 for the day. It says 7am-11pm but I arrived just after 6am and it was open. A grand quiet spot only 5 mins from the hospital.

One request of the dad's if I can be cheeky. If you step out of the curtained cubicle to take or make a phone call, remember that the other side of the other curtains are mums and babies resting. Just because you're not disturbing your mrs... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Red i take it that you have been mad busy with the baby to let us know that she had it.
    But if you get a min between the changing the nappies and the feeding let us know how you got on.

This! I was in the Rotunda the 03/04/05 of October, so if you and wifey were there, let me know, we could have bumped into each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Congrats to all the new dads and dads to be! My little girl is now 4 1/2 months old and getting bigger and louder every day!

To those who think you wont be able to cope - you will, once you get handed a little bundle in the delivery room you will just know what to do (after lots of help it must be said from family and nurses) The help is there - ask for it!
    To those who think they wont be 'bowled over' by the experience - remember this is not Hollywood. It's not an 'oscar speech' moment full of tears and bullsht! It's a tender moment shared with your OH witnessing the miracle that is creating a new life together. I was quite numb when i was handed our little girl - the build-up of emotions after that is quite an experience!
    To those dads to be who worry about the birth and seeing your wife/OH in pain - i am as protective as they come about my wifey but to see her struggle and fight during childbirth was amazing. You are just in awe of what your special lady can do - and you thought men were stronger? Ha!

Anyway - i thought i'd pop back on to this thread and share my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭part time punk

So Mrs Punk had our second three weeks ago today in the Coombe. Beautiful baby girl. Mam and baby both doing well, in total awe of my wife, she really does rock. Toddler has been pretty good so far, loves kissing her sister, but there has been the occassional box. Hoping second borns must develop tougher Still feels a little strange referring to the 'kids'!

20 week scan yesterday.
    Baby looks good and healthy strong hearbeat and all present and correct
    We couldn't find out the sex of the baby because it was too busy dancing.
    Little legs were flying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

Scan at 34 weeks yesterday & the baby is weighing in at 5lbs 9ozs at the minute so looks like it will be a big baby or small turkey.

Thankfully looks like wife wont require C Section (which she didnt want) so all good news.

Also had the last of the ante natal classes yesterday. In my opinion the ones I went to were worth while (& a bit of an eye opener in some cases) so would recommend to fathers to be to try to make them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

Just sitting on the couch watching the little ailen inside of my wifes belly moving and kicking and sticking elbows and feet and what ever else out. Its all a bit mad really:eek::D:confused::)

Had a 3d scan yesterday the baby still somersaulting and playing but we did get to find out the sex, delighted to know now :)
    Got lots of pictures too 50 in total which are nice to have

Was out test driving buggies yesterday as well, checking them out for cornering ability and how easy to do donuts in them, yes I am a big kid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

If you haven't already read 'fatherhood the truth' by marcus berkmann

It's an hilarious read specifically for men, wont take long and will educate you without you knowing it.

Found out we are having a little boy today. Telling the folks tomorrow, feel like its bursting out out of me now! Can't wait to tell everyone (God I hope they don't know its me posting here!!) :D
    Sooooo awesome at the scan, saw the little fellas mouth moving and everything, totally incredible experience. Everything looks normal so far, what a day!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Filippa K

Supercell wrote: »
    Found out we are having a little boy today. Telling the folks tomorrow, feel like its bursting out out of me now! Can't wait to tell everyone (God I hope they don't know its me posting here!!) :D
    Sooooo awesome at the scan, saw the little fellas mouth moving and everything, totally incredible experience. Everything looks normal so far, what a day!! :D

Fantastic news supercell, Same here, We also found out today we are having a boy. Got the lady to write it on a piece of paper. Couldnt get into the car fast enought to read it. Going to keep it to ourselfs for the moment thought. Im posting under my wifes ID as my brother knows my user name. Congrats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭paper cut

My wife and I are 13weeks pregnant with our first. We've had three miscarriages (at 6/7 weeks) over the last year and a half. Can't begin to tell you how I feel now. Fingers crossed and for those of you going through the hell we have, hang in there and try and be as positive as you can. Support each other no matter what.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

Wife was due last Thursday, not a single big sign so far. Wife is very tired ,both of us very anxious.

Back pains so far the only 'sign'

Just want them both to be ok!

Will be induced on Sunday if there is no jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Antigone05 wrote: »
    Wife was due last Thursday, not a single big sign so far. Wife is very tired ,both of us very anxious.

Good God i hope that doesnt happen my wife. I want my baby on or before 13th Jan. Before would be best.

Going to see the little thing again today. Having a growth scan. As she is 33 weeks and the "Bump" is measuring 28 or so they said last week but mid wife just things that the babys head is down low and thats why she is measuring small.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

got a bit of a shock yesterday when the app on my phone said 21 days to go. I know that should have been obvious as I was aware she was 37 weeks gone;)

Doesnt be long creeping up. All going well though & looking forward. Due date is the 20th of December but i reckon we'll have a chritsmas day baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Hi everyone, I haven't been on in awhile but we have only 1 week to go now :)

The missus is going in next Wednesday and the c-section is going to be on the Thursday morning (The 22nd),. They say she should be in for 4 to 5 days, the 22nd is included, which makes it possibly xmas day or st.stephans day. I know it depends on things are going for her but if she was ok on the 4th day to be let out, which would be nice as its xmas day, would she need a doctor to sign her out? What are the chances of that happening on xmas day?

Advertisement