Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cyclists pay Road Tax & Insurance?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Nope, they don't take kindly to lycra in those parts, trust me I've tried! :)

We should have our own cycling board awards:

-Muppet of the year
    -Euro of the year
    -Most ridiculous cycling related purchase
    -Most spectacular fall (I may have this stitched up!)
    -Best looking in lycra award (can there really BE a winner here, or are we all winners?)

Raam wrote: »
    We would certainly have better legs than most of them.

You did it! I didn't think you could do it on this thread, bravo sir! *clap clap*

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

Verb wrote: »
    Motors would be too easy.

If we posted the op post over there we would be seen as saints me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

-Muppet of the year
    -Euro of the year
    -Best looking in lycra award (can there really BE a winner here, or are we all winners?)

start a thread with voting buttons!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Make it happen, dude.

• Advertisement

*passes buck to verb*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

unionman wrote: »
    I go to lunch, I come back and wham!! Red hot thread with angry motorist going 'road tax cyclists blah blah blah!' How did that happen?

MV5BNzg4MTk4NzE2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjY1MTc1MQ@@._V1._SX400_SY303_.jpg
    Unionman pictured reading the angry road tax thread after he got back from lunch today
    Bloody trade unions and their 2 hour lunches. If you'd had 1-2 at your desk like everyone else you wouldn't have missed the fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

God close the damn thing. Can't be bothered haveing discussions with people who only want others to agree with them. Back to motors I go....

If you bothered to spend more than five minutes reading the other posts, you would note that most of us in here are pretty safety councious and don't go around without lights (just look at the number of light-related threads there have been recently). Occasionally we will do things that annoy motorists, but we are the most vulnerable road users and often we have to take aggresive/defensive positions to protect ourselves.

Now I see plenty of motorists going around with broken headlights and broken wing mirrors. I see plenty of them not indicating, I see plenty of them on their mobile phones not paying attention etc.., but I wouldn't tar all motorists with the same brush. There's bad motorists and there's bad cyclists. Difference being that bad motorists can cause a lot more damage than a bad cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Stark

penexpers wrote:
    If you bothered to spend more than five minutes reading the other posts

Oh I reckon he's read plenty of previous posts. I think he's seen "oh road tax gets them wound up" and decided to start a thread on it....

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Excellent thread, I'm so glad to see a little restraint and politeness thrown aside in favour of humour and a bit of sarcasm. I'm sure he's gone crying back to motors complaining about how cyclists are so defensive and won't listen to his words of wisdom. In fact, I'm half thinking about starting a thread there about roads - I mean, why should I have to put up with obeying the rules when I don't need a road? I have 26" wheels and knobbly tires, I don't need a road, I didn't ask for one to be put there and now all these smelly cars are getting in my way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Verb wrote: »
    We don't venture out into the surrounding community enough. We should possibly arrange some sort of flash mob like attack onto another forum.

Motors would be too easy. *peruses boards* Hmm.. The Ladies Lounge. That could be very vulnerable to a Euro related flash mob.

*ahem*

Oh no, I hope they are gentle Tiny!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Mairt wrote: »
    Tax no, insurance YES.
    We only need car insurance because of the frequency of accidents and the scale of the costs. That's not an issue with bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 qbasic

Insufficient lighting on a bike, especially in the winter months. As a motorist you are obliged to have all lights working, if you are a cyclist you can cycle with none - Fair Point

Lack of reflective clothing – if a motorist hits a cyclist it is their fault, even if the motorist cannot see them. Can we force car users to drive Dyno-Rod coloured cars in return?

Lack of signalling when turning – cars indicate so why can’t cyclists. - Fair point.

Cyclists coming up on the inside of a car which is indicating to turn left. - Indicating is just an intention of your manoeuvre not a right of way, same way moving from the overtaking lane of a motorway into the driving lane, you indicate and move in when safe.

Cyclists breaking red lights - I see as many cars breaking red lights as I do cyclists.

Cyclists cycling too far out from the footpath & impeding traffic flow - The edge of the road is a full of debris and hazards like glass,rocks, open drain covers, uneven/unfinished tarmac...

Cyclists refusing to slow down when the cycle lane runs through a bus stop - Is this a requirement?

Cyclists wearing headphones - Car drivers using headphone/loud stereos....same thing.

Cyclists generally paying no heed to what is around them - Mobile Phone use is rampant

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

-Muppet of the year
    -Euro of the year

I actually had the same idea a while back but never got around to posting it.

Cycling forum personality of the year, Boards moment of the year, Nicest bike to be posted in images of beauty and thread of the year are other possiblities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You can sue anyone. They don't have to have insurance, surely?

Oh I tried.

I chased the fecker throuh his job, he said he was sent on a message from work. The job denied this, and said the guy didn't even work for them. He wasn't on the books, and hadn't a pot to piss in so it was no good chasing him personally.

Insurance would have been nice considering I spent 11 months off work.

el tonto wrote: »
    I actually had the same idea a while back but never got around to posting it.

Cycling forum personality of the year, Boards moment of the year, Nicest bike to be posted in images of beauty and thread of the year are other possiblities.

Best cycling journalist who rides a Wilier... you'd probably struggle to win that one though ;)

Mairt wrote: »
    Oh I tried.

I chased the fecker throuh his job, he said he was sent on a message from work. The job denied this, and said the guy didn't even work for them. He wasn't on the books, and hadn't a pot to piss in so it was no good chasing him personally.

Insurance would have been nice considering I spent 11 months off work.

Hard luck, sorry to hear about your troubles :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

kenmc wrote: »
    Bloody trade unions and their 2 hour lunches. If you'd had 1-2 at your desk like everyone else you wouldn't have missed the fun :D

You should see me take a nap:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

*passes buck to verb*

No way. I've never started a poll thread in my life. Anyway, I'd win the lyrca competition and best climber too easily..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

@tonto - nominations should precede a vote, yeah? someone start a new thread. arsed, i cannot be.

@Tiny - i'll be keeping an eye on your thread in the motoring forum. i hope it takes off but i'm not sure you stirred hard enough. i may be missing the point though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    @tonto - nominations should precede a vote, yeah? someone start a new thread. arsed, i cannot be.

Yes, we'd need a thread for category suggestions and nominations and then new threads for the polls (I use the plural because I think you can only put one poll on a thread).

It's kind of ironic when you think about it, a cyclist posts in the motoring forum and no one even notices him, 5 views so far.

I guess you should have worn lights, or indicated or something :)

niceonetom wrote: »

@Tiny - i'll be keeping an eye on your thread in the motoring forum. i hope it takes off but i'm not sure you stirred hard enough. i may be missing the point though.

Yeah, I was going to blatently troll, but decided that educating could also be fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Way too reasonable Tiny, I agree with Tom, should've poked them in the eye with a sharp stick, wake the tiger so to speak. It worked here for Tomcollins!

I love the way Caroline and penexpers were over there holding your coat though, that was brilliant!! I'll be keeping an eye, maybe weigh in with a 'Why can't we all just get along...?':D

Fair play to ya.

Best cycling journalist who rides a Willie... you'd probably struggle to win that one though ;)

Oo-er! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

... meh

Top prise for best reply IMO. Says it all. Chapeau.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Oh no, I hope they are gentle Tiny!
    I honestly thought he had posted a thread about leg shaving/Euro rules in the Ladies Lounge there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

this lad is probably a rocket scientist.

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    this lad is probably a rocket scientist.

Let's all thank him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement