Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cyclists pay Road Tax & Insurance?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Can't wait to see the Gardai handing out tickets to 6 year old kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Karma wrote: »
    muppet check, oh yes, Tomcollins from the motors forum...

i have a car and pay MOTOR TAX not turning me on, my cars upkeep in tax and insurance is more than anyone of my bikes cost.
    back to the motors forum with you.
    idiot...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If they had insurance premius to worry about & faced higher payments if accidents happen it might make a difference

Seriously, I only worry about injury to myself. I don't need to pay a few hundred euro a year to make me any more concerned about my own welfare on the bike.

You make it sound like cyclists couldnt give a f**k who/what they hit?

I don't think anyone here actually gets a thrill out of nearly killing themselves so they can ding a car, use some sense for god's sake!

Oh, i suggested ban because this is terrible trolling, why else would you post what you did here?

Stark wrote: »
    If you get upset over being forced to slow down when driving through a city, you shouldn't be driving imo. Why don't you go start a thread about how traffic lights and schoolchildren should have to turn me on.

Oh dear, getting a lil disturbing now....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Seriously, I only worry about injury to myself. I don't need to pay a few hundred euro a year to make me any more concerned about my own welfare on the bike.

You make it sound like cyclists couldnt give a f**k who/what they hit?

I don't think anyone here actually gets a thrill out of nearly killing themselves so they can ding a car, use some sense for god's sake!

Oh, i suggested ban because this is terrible trolling, why else would you post what you did here?

To be fair insurance, third party, is an issue when riding as part of a club. Most of the training spins I do are covered by third party insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

el tonto wrote: »
    3036250950_a1cfd1947b.jpg?v=0

My favourite

3008179241_937e1f545e_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Halfrauds wrote: »

bikes should also have to have a nct type test, and the standard which is the bristish standard BS, should be extended to components not frames, that will get rid of the supermarket thrash thats wrecking the cyclists who are dserious, its wrecking their credibility as road users.

Here here!

Here here!

Where where?

Think you mean "Hear, Hear"

Right Tom, minister for cycling, how would you bring in a cycling test? Please, if you give us some details it would really make this a lot more interesting?

Should cyclists have to reverse around corners? Does the tester sit on your lap while you ride around? Do i get extra points or a special license for being more euro?

Oh, and the NCT for bikes, genius! Why didnt I think of this? I mean, bikes are mechanically so simple and produce zero emissions that its a wonder no one thought of this before!

But really, outline the test you would put in place, my work day just got a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

How often have you been driving along in your car cycling along, only to be forced into slowing down for a cyclist car or worse two cyclists cars, who are hogging the road cycle path? Cyclists Motorists pay no road tax or insurance yet they on occasion act as if they own the highway. Cyclist Motorists should have a licence to be on the roads & have passed a test to prove they have the necessary road knowledge & can cycle drive safely but many don't bother. If a cyclist motorist is insufficiently lit or breaking road traffic rules it should be possible to hand down a fine.

My pet hates when it comes to cyclists motorists are:

Insufficient lighting on a bike car, especially in the winter months. As a motorist you are obliged to have all lights working, if you are a cyclist you can cycle with none are also obliged to have all lights working
    Lack of reflective clothing attention – if a motorist hits a cyclist it is their fault, even especially if the motorist cannot see them wasn't paying attention
    Lack of signalling courtesy to cyclists when turning – cars indicate so why can’t cyclists.ing don't automatically get right of way.
    Cyclists Motorists coming cutting up on the inside of a car which is indicating to a cyclists just so he can turn left quicker.
    Cyclists Motorists breaking red lights
    Cyclists cycling Motorists driving too far out from close to the footpath & impeding traffic flow cyclists
    Cyclists Motorists refusing to slow down when the cycle lane runs through a bus stop when appropriate
    Cyclists wearing headphonesMotorists on cellphones
    Cyclists Motorists generally paying no heed to what is around them

There. Fixed that for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

How often have you been driving along in your car, only to be forced into slowing down for a cyclist or worse two cyclists, who are hogging the road?

oh noes!! having to slow down for other road users! poor you!
    Cyclists pay no road tax or insurance yet they on occasion act as if they own the highway.

the utter bastards. again, poor you.
    Cyclist should have a licence to be on the roads & have passed a test to prove they have the necessary road knowledge & can cycle safely.

i agree. they should be licenced, registered, tarred, feathered, re-educated, interned, shot and boiled down for glue.

If a cyclist is insufficiently lit or breaking road traffic rules it should be possible to hand down a fine.

already is. next.
    My pet hates when it comes to cyclists are:

Insufficient lighting on a bike, especially in the winter months. As a motorist you are obliged to have all lights working, if you are a cyclist you can cycle with none
    Lack of reflective clothing – if a motorist hits a cyclist it is their fault, even if the motorist cannot see them
    Lack of signalling when turning – cars indicate so why can’t cyclists.
    Cyclists coming up on the inside of a car which is indicating to turn left.
    Cyclists breaking red lights
    Cyclists cycling too far out from the footpath & impeding traffic flow
    Cyclists refusing to slow down when the cycle lane runs through a bus stop
    Cyclists wearing headphones
    Cyclists generally paying no heed to what is around them

yawn. don't care. my pet hates include animals dressed as humans, the coffee chocolates in cadbury's roses, and morons who don't have a rashers what they're talking about.

in conclusion i would like to add:
    68642.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

2967943002_4aa861e850.jpg?v=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

maybe to get insurance a bike needs a 3 months service, and then make insurance legal, im sure the guards can spot a bike that hasnt been serviced, it would also put alot of spoofer shops either out of business, or force them to up the bar abit.

win win for everybody:D

el tonto wrote: »
    2967943002_4aa861e850.jpg?v=0
    :D:D:D:D

so funny.

maybe to get insurance a bike needs a 3 months service, and then make insurance legal, im sure the guards can spot a bike that hasnt been serviced, it would also put alot of spoofer shops either out of business, or force them to up the bar abit.

win win for everybody:D

:confused:

no, really :confused:

I didnt know gardai had bike mechanic training. Next time I cycle into one with no lights and my headphones blaring, I must ask him about that noise from my bottom bracket.

EDIT: Ah, just checked Garda website. They get a 6 month bike mechanic course, followed by computer hacking skills, ninja skills, rock climbing skills....etc.

tunney wrote: »
    :) By cycling "too far out from the footpath" cyclists can reduce the probability of a motorist hitting them "because they didn't see them". Most times a motorist "didn't see" a cyclist its because they didn't look.

why would a motorist be on the footpath?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

tunney wrote: »
    :) Your post deomonstrates your ignorance.

Only going to address one point

By cycling "too far out from the footpath" cyclists can reduce the probability of a motorist hitting them "because they didn't see them". Most times a motorist "didn't see" a cyclist its because they didn't look.

+1 to the above, but just to note an additional reason, drains. Motorists often forget that on the far left of roads there are drains at regular intevals, these drains can be lethal to cyclists, as they are often placed deep into the road surface, meaning if a cyclist flies into one, they can expect to fly off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Do-not-feed-the-troll.PNG
    Better late than never.

Ah Tom, how will you ever survive in the real world?

it goes: footpath | Abomination | Road

why would a motorist be on the footpath?

Too far out from the footpath indicates that he is on the road, not on tha actual footpath. Otherwise he would have written 'By cycling "too far out on from the footpath"

• Advertisement

Where where?

Think you mean "Hear, Hear"
    At last - some humour!

niceonetom wrote: »
    yawn. don't care. my pet hates include animals dressed as humans, the coffee chocolates in cadbury's roses, and morons who don't have a rashers what they're talking about.

You Nazi (just to get a mention in there). The coffee chocs are lovely, can't be having them removed!

Agree on the animals dressed as humans, with on caveat -the dogs in deerstalkers smoking pipes... love them!

Really? I've been laughing since the first post!

At last - some humour!

Not really, just pointing out another of your inaccuracies... at least learn to argue coherently... maybe there should be a test for that, and some form of taxation? :)

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    :confused:

no, really :confused:

I didnt know gardai had bike mechanic training. Next time I cycle into one with no lights and my headphones blaring, I must ask him about that noise from my bottom bracket.

EDIT: Ah, just checked Garda website. They get a 6 month bike mechanic course, followed by computer hacking skills, ninja skills, rock climbing skills....etc.

most gardai on bikes are actually into bikes, anybody into bikes can tell a nice bike from a **** one, and a well maintained one from a junker.

they aint car mechanics either but do you for thread depth and other unroadworthy offenses:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I go through red lights just to piss off people into posting how much they hate cyclists going through red lights.

But I'll stop doing that once I see drivers also obeying the law and stopping at amber lights. Unless of course someone wants to argue that there are actually two types of laws - a doesn't count law and a law that does. Lets give them a colour coding for simplicity - say an amber law and a red law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

maybe to get insurance a bike needs a 3 months service
    I service my own bikes. Am I exempt from this "road tax" lark??

God close the damn thing. Can't be bothered haveing discussions with people who only want others to agree with them. Back to motors I go....

they aint car mechanics either but do you for thread depth and other unroadworthy offenses:)

They would have to have a pretty sharp eye as I whizz past them (whizz in the speed sense and not the other one).

From the MOT (similar enough!) wiki:
    It is important to realise that the MOT test does not cover areas of a vehicle's mechanical condition that are not related to safety or emissions (important features such as the clutch, gear box or the entire engine are not tested).

So, that rules out a lot of the features on a bike. I think most people are either able to get their own bike serviced or do it themselves. Yes, you see an awful lot of "junkers" around, but they are not producing harmful emissions and unless the brakes are gone, the only other thing would be a snapping chain. Its not in the same class as a dangerous car to be honest.

I just think people should think out their opinions more before posting. Mandatory cycle insurance would force commuters off the roads and a bike "NCT" is both laughable and difficult to implement and regulate.

People should take care of their bikes though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Diarmuid wrote: »
    <snip the prohibited feeding of monsters under the bridge>Better late than never.
    No we tried that, but apparently we are way too nice, so it's all in with the big sticks. Or Ulocks if they're handier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement