Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cyclists pay Road Tax & Insurance?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

May I direct you here?

Below are some of the highlights (emphasis my own)
    The amount of motor tax you pay for a vehicle registered before July 2008 is proportionate to the size of your vehicle's engine - in other words, the more powerful your vehicle, the higher the cost of your motor tax. For new cars registered since 1 July 2008, motor tax charges are determined on the basis of seven CO2 bands with charges ranging from €100 a year for the greenest cars to €2,000 for cars with the highest emissions ratings.

No emissions for cyclists, so no motor tax for us.
    It's important to be aware however, that not all vehicles require motor tax. The following vehicles are exempt:
    • State-owned vehicles
    • Diplomatic vehicles
    • Vehicles exempted under the Disabled Drivers and Disabled Passengers (Tax Concessions) Regulations, 1994 (S.I. No. 353 of 1994)
    • Vehicles (including any cycle with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power) not exceeding 400 kilograms in weight (unladen), which is adapted and used for invalids
    • Vehicles which are used exclusively for the transport (whether by carriage or traction) of lifeboats and their gear or any equipment for affording assistance towards the preservation of life and property in cases of ship-wreck and distress at sea
    • Vehicles which are used exclusively for the transport (whether by carriage or traction) of road construction machinery used for no purpose other than the construction or repair of roads
    • Refuse carts, sweeping machines or watering machines used exclusively for cleansing public streets and roads
    • Ambulances, road-rollers or fire engines
    • Vehicles kept by a local authority and used exclusively for the purpose of their fire brigade service.
    • Vehicles which are used exclusively for mountain and cave rescue purposes
    • Vehicles which are used exclusively for underwater search and recovery purposes.

The above is their emphasis, but yes, quite a few exemptions there -should they be banned too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Halfrauds wrote: »
    bikes should also have to have a nct type test, and the standard which is the bristish standard BS, should be extended to components not frames, that will get rid of the supermarket thrash thats wrecking the cyclists who are dserious, its wrecking their credibility as road users.

I can happily ignore most of this thread but the above is just wierd.

The purpose of the NCT is to ensure cars on the road are safe - it's not to give their drivers more credibility. How are supermarket bikes "wrecking the cyclists who are serious"?
    most gardai on bikes are actually into bikes, anybody into bikes can tell a nice bike from a **** one, and a well maintained one from a junker.

As long as a bike has a means of slowing/stopping who cares if it's crappy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

God close the damn thing. Can't be bothered haveing discussions with people who only want others to agree with them. Back to motors I go....

But, but you started the thread?

God close the damn thing. Can't be bothered haveing discussions with people who only want others to agree with them. Back to motors I go....

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Trolly McTrollerson, it's been fun! :)

Also, maybe let the mod's close it -don't know if god know how to use this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

1-0 to the cyclists,
    sung to the tune of this
    :D
    the big stick works lads!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    But, but you started the thread?

Expecting discussion not insults like muppet etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

JESUS! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON TODAY?!

I'm trying to think if there is anyway I can turn this into a thread about cycling fashion rules and leg shaving advice. It would certainly make more sense, although it wouldn't be half as entertaining.

Raam wrote: »
    JESUS! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON TODAY?!

I'm trying to think if there is anyway I can turn this into a thread about cycling fashion rules and leg shaving advice. It would certainly make more sense, although it wouldn't be half as entertaining.

If there's rules for cyclists, there should be euro rules -it's how to avoid tarring everyone with the same brush... Euro good, non-euro fair game for motorists!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tom,

If you actually took the time to read a few threads in this forum before wading in with ill-considered and inflammatory posts, you'd find that some of the things that annoy you annoy "us" too.

I am a keen (perhaps obsessive) enthusiast of cars and driving. I also like cycling. I've met a few members of this forum and a nicer, more reasonable bunch of people you couldn't find anywhere. Honestly.

So maybe the problem is you.

• Advertisement

Discussion? You started a thread that made some sweeping statements about cyclists, insulting half the people on here in the process.

Would you prefer: *Head-slap* "So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years, thanks Tom Collins!" *Proceeds to bang helmet off desk several times in appreciation*

eric-cartman-210.jpg

If you want a proper discussion with some proper facts then please, come back sometime.

EDIT: Woops, I see it now!

Well, I'm afraid you've only yourself to blame for that. Anyone with a modicum of sense would have thought first and put forward a cohesive, well reasoned and respectful argument, instead if blatantly trying to start a flame war.

If you're thin skinned enough to want to run away crying after being called a muppet, maybe you shouldn't go on the internet -there are big bad scary men (and women and everything in between) out there!

Lumen wrote: »
    I am a keen (perhaps obsessive) enthusiast of cars and driving. I also like cycling. I've met a few members of this forum and a nicer, more reasonable bunch of people you couldn't find anywhere. Honestly..

Balls, that's a myth -we're all law breaking, non light owning bastards that plot to bring about the inconvenience of motorists everywhere... stop ruining our image!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

I'd say goodbye to Tom, but I know he'll be back. In fact I see he's already posted again after saying he was going back to the Motors forum, and he's doubtlessly reading this post now too, agonising over whether to respond just one last time or say nothing and make it look like he's actually going to do what he said. In typical troll fashion, he's now put on the hurt/victim jumper, and wearing it with pride. I also half expect him to manufacture some nonsense about getting "personal attacks" or the like via PM, but "not wanting to continue it" in the public board... yawn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

Morgan wrote: »
    I can happily ignore most of this thread but the above is just wierd.

The purpose of the NCT is to ensure cars on the road are safe - it's not to give their drivers more credibility. How are supermarket bikes "wrecking the cyclists who are serious"??

sorry, maybe i havnt worded it right. if you read over in motors, cyclists get alot of ****, most of this is due to the lads going around with no or inadequte lighting, and bikes that just are not fit for use on the road? have you ever tried to stop a bike with supermarket bike brakes, pressed tin V-brakes and nasty disc callipers, sorry but evebn when set up right, these components just arnt up to the job of stopping tou fast, and safe, not to metion the flex in the nylon levers and brake arms.

If people had to get bikes maintained and up to a standard, it would give cyclistys as a group more credibility as oppsoed to being dismissed as cheap-arses who dont know how to use the road?:confused:

The BS standard just ISNT up to commuting.

Morgan wrote: »
    As long as a bike has a means of slowing/stopping who cares if it's crappy?

most cheaper bikes dont have any means of slowing and stopping withing a safe distance. but yes as long as they go and stop safley then its grand, its just that people are taking the piss with cycling, by using bikes than bluntley aint fit for any purpose other than maybe a enclosed space away from others(preferably a skip)

im not being a bike snob but, there arew some serious issues with cheap bikes, a kid in cork was killed last year on one of these crappers when she was flying down a hill, her brake wernt up to the job and she ended up kissing a concrete wall.

have you ever tried to stop a bike with supermarket bike brakes, pressed tin V-brakes and nasty disc callipers, sorry but evebn when set up right, these components just arnt up to the job of stopping tou fast, and safe, not to metion the flex in the nylon levers and brake arms.

No, all my bikes are good quality and well maintained. I've driven a few crap cars though :D.

I know what you mean though, and I think kenmc posted something a while ago about BSOs (bike shaped objects) and how we should be encouraging commuters to spend a little extra on quality components.

Im afraid no amount of "NBT" will ever fix some of the crap that passes for bikes out there.

flickerx wrote: »
    I also half expect him to manufacture some nonsense about getting "personal attacks" or the like via PM, but "not wanting to continue it" in the public board... yawn...

Oh yeah, we had that before. Climate Expert I think. He's up for a nomination:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055437721

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Bring up a real, logical point and you'll get a discussion.

Come in with generalisations and whinging and you'll get the sort of stuff you got.

It's quite similar to acting like a child and being treated like a child..

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/CommonDebates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

No, all my bikes are good quality and well maintained. I've driven a few crap cars though :D.

I know what you mean though, and I think kenmc posted something a while ago about BSOs (bike shaped objects) and how we should be encouraging commuters to spend a little extra on quality components.

Im afraid no amount of "NBT" will ever fix some of the crap that passes for bikes out there.

im afraid you are probably right, but a higher insurance premium on **** dual sus supermarket bikes will sort the issue:D If you ever seen the garda auction, it seems to be these bikes that are robbed the most, although i do hear of some nice rides being stolen every few months:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

He gets my vote.

Ha! Hadn't seen that before. How come "cycling" isn't in the "bestest boards" cateogry?? :eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Joe Malone was my favourite troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I go to lunch, I come back and wham!! Red hot thread with angry motorist going 'road tax cyclists blah blah blah!' How did that happen?

MV5BNzg4MTk4NzE2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjY1MTc1MQ@@._V1._SX400_SY303_.jpg
    Unionman pictured reading the angry road tax thread after he got back from lunch today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tax no, insurance YES.

Then I'd have sued the little fecker who knocked me down, breaking both my elbows and left wrist :mad:

Cyclists do stupid things, car/motorcyclists do stupid things and last but not least - boards people post stupid threads.

Sh*t happens.

Mairt wrote: »
    Tax no, insurance YES.

Then I'd have sued the little fecker who knocked me down, breaking both my elbows and left wrist :mad:

You can sue anyone. They don't have to have insurance, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Ha! Hadn't seen that before. How come "cycling" isn't in the "bestest boards" cateogry?? :eek:

We don't venture out into the surrounding community enough. We should possibly arrange some sort of flash mob like attack onto another forum.

Motors would be too easy. *peruses boards* Hmm.. The Ladies Lounge. That could be very vulnerable to a Euro related flash mob.

el tonto wrote: »
    Joe Malone was my favourite troll.

He got banned from here yonks ago.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055324456

I assume he's reincarnated himself and is alive and well amongst us now.

You can sue anyone. They don't have to have insurance, surely?
    Actually fair point. If he had had insurance you wouldn't NEED to sue him, cos the insurance would pay out.

• Advertisement

Verb wrote: »
    Hmm.. The Ladies Lounge. That could be very vulnerable to a Euro related flash mob.

We would certainly have better legs than most of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement