Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Anyone living down in Dun Aengus should set up a timelapse of this, would be pretty cool...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Excuse my ignorance, but where is this new facility anyway?

Out in the Harbour Park. Look at it on a Map, it's South East of where the current tanks are - still not out of the way of doing damage imho but much better than where they are now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

what about the other tanks on lough atailia? do they go to?

more from galwaynews.ie

Oil tanks to come down
    Tue 31st March 2009
    Topaz to switch in next few weeks

BUSINESSMAN Gerry Barrett has purchased a second oil terminal, which will pave the way for the dismantling of the oil tanks at the Docks in time for the Volvo Ocean Race.

The surprise move by Edward Holdings, one of Mr Barrett’s companies, announced late last night should see Topaz Ireland move from its current terminal on Bóthar Na Long in Galway Harbour to the Enwest Oil Terminal in the Galway Harbour Enterprise Park in the next few weeks.

Topaz, the firm that owns Statoil and Shell, declined to confirm its intention to decommission and demolish the oil tanks, however an announcement on this is expected to be made in the next 48 hours.

A major shareholder in Topaz, Gerry Barrett released astatement to the Sentinel revealing that his company had finalised the acquisition of Enwest, which meant Topaz now had a new site to move into.

Mr Barrett said the purchase was critically important to the future development of Galway City and the West and would stimulate investment in the regeneration of a major area of the inner city of Galway.

“Furthermore this acquisition of Enwest will lead to the acceleration of the process whereby the oil tanks at the Topaz Oil Facility could be decommissioned and demolished,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 KingJo

Any idea where you can get tickets for the music events- want to go see sharon shannon at Volvo Ocean race village tent?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

KingJo wrote: »
    Any idea where you can get tickets for the music events- want to go see sharon shannon at Volvo Ocean race village tent?

Free, no tickets, but some events may be more popular so get there early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Drove by the docks this morning, just as I came round the bend at PK Motors one of the big tanks came down in front of me!

The are basically just pulling the tanks down ....looked like they goughed out a big hole in the side of it to weaken the structure then they just pulled the tank down.

I'd say the will have them all down in a day or two at this rate!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Maybe we should invite an Afghani Kandahar family to Salthill and see if they enjoy it?
    I'm sure they'd love the peace and quiet although they might be concerned about their carbon footprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Are there any ways that the public can do besides milling around the Docks e.g. get on a boat etc.

I'm going to head down to take some pictures- are there any tips, passes that would allow me into any extra areas etc.

Some great pics here
    Cheers,
    Pa.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Are there any ways that the public can do besides milling around the Docks e.g. get on a boat etc.

I'm going to head down to take some pictures- are there any tips, passes that would allow me into any extra areas etc.

Some great pics here
    Cheers,
    Pa.

Nope, not unless you're in the know or want to spend a lot of money on hospitality

Just get yer own boat, best of boat, er, i mean both worlds :p

Feck, got a call earlier asking if i'd be interested in being a race marshal for the in-port racing. Damn these exams :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Feck, got a call earlier asking if i'd be interested in being a race marshal for the in-port racing. Damn these exams :mad:

well isn't someone popular

3fullback wrote: »
    well isn't someone popular

The pope, among many other is quite popular. Is this a game you want to play? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

The pope, among many other is quite popular. Is this a game you want to play? :pac:

very childish cleary wanting to play games .. i thought you had grown out of that

3fullback wrote: »
    very childish cleary wanting to play games .. i thought you had grown out of that

Only children are allowed to play games? Since when?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Thanks for noticing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Are they here already?
    Something strange in the bay

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

HarryD wrote: »
    Are they here already?

galway bay sailing club, dont get too excited, the ocean race ones are a TAD bigger! :p

HarryD wrote: »
    Are they here already?

That'll just be a turd you plopped out earlier, nothing new :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

City Hall is planning a ‘zero tolerance’ approach to illegally parked cars in the city centre over the next three weeks in order to facilitate free-flowing traffic for the Volvo Ocean Race. The Council’s clampers are planning a major crackdown on illegally parked cars – it is one of a number of measures in the traffic management plan aimed at avoiding traffic gridlock during the event.

Why can't they do this year round?
    Also, I thought the clampers only had a contract to clamp in places where you had to pay to park, not on footpaths, double yellows etc.

Wow, because clamping cars that are causing a blockade is really gonna help with traffic-flow :rolleyes:

Another round of applause for Galway City Council??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Haven't they stopped clamping cars recently?

To be honest I think they have to do something because people are taking the piss too much since they've stopped it. Some just pull up where ever they feel like and don't care one bit that they might be holding the whole town up.

I know clamping a car which is blocking traffic won't exactly get traffic free flowing immediately but people will tend not to park illegally if they know they will get clamped. Those who still decide to park illegally will learn very quickly not to do so again.

Really they should tow cars away, especially during the Ocean race. And anyone who is illegally parked but still sitting in the car should be given a ticket/fine, that includes taxi drivers on O'Brien's Bridge and in Eyre Square.

Never realised they'd stopped clamping? News to me (but then again haven't been round Galway much lately)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Well most of the parking areas near the docks are owned by either the harbour company or galway property management... who are still clamping every day!

gary82 wrote: »
    Well most of the parking areas near the docks are owned by either the harbour company or galway property management... who are still clamping every day!

Yup, beware of this... but all this parking will be cordoned off for the Volvo anyway. But they're fcukers for clamping from what i've seen. I had to nearly bribe the harbour fella not to clamp me when I have my boat moored down the Docks - Parking isin't included :( Thankfully got away with parking there every day without getting clamped.

Be especially careful in the mornings... the night rate ends at 9am and he'll be there waiting! Also on the Dun Aengus side of the docks.... next to the water is much more expensive than the other side of the road! :rolleyes:

If they keep it up there'll soon be an increase of unclampable Citroens in Galway! (park with front wheels turned at sharp angle)
    27-citroen-ds.jpg

Clamps can still get in at most wheels even when on full lock, just be aware of this.

I have a sneaky system up where i'm living at the moment if someone comes to visit without a permit - One side of the non-permit car parked against one of the walls (ie. end of cark park, can't get any clamp in that side) and I park my car so close to the other side that the wing-mirrors over-lap :eek: - For extra peace of mind, rear wheels pushed against the curb at the back, and then both cars front wheels locked, facing each other.

Not a forking hope in hell the car is getting clamped, and they can't clamp my car because I have a permit (doesn't state anywhere in the rules that a min. distance must be kept between cars etc.) - has worked wonders plenty of times now, I love the look on the clampers faces when they see it - think they just accept there's nothing they can do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I would like to congratulate you on your obvious genius John. :cool:

Brilliant!

I'll take a pic next time I do it - I love watching the GF's face go :eek: because the cars are so close together. Last time I could barely fit my fist between the 2 cars :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wow, because clamping cars that are causing a blockade is really gonna help with traffic-flow :rolleyes:

Clamping cars does nothing for traffic flow or to encourage legal parking.

Fear that "they" will clamp my car does a lot to encourage legal parking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement