Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

I hear that the Galway leg of the Volvo Ocean Race will be the biggest event ever to hit Galway, even Ireland.
    Apparently every hotel for miles will be booked.
    What is so special about it that makes it this big.?

I still don't understand why either. Feck it, I've gotten involved. I'm volunteering. 1. It'll be good and 2. It'll look decent on my CV. Happy days. :D:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Galway Docks harbours some of the worst cnut clampers in the entire universe.

They are probably learning scuba diving right now so they can clamp the keel bulbs on the volvo boats the night before the big off :)

They would clamp a dog if they thought they could make a euro out of it .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Wow, because clamping cars that are causing a blockade is really gonna help with traffic-flow :rolleyes:
    Another round of applause for Galway City Council??
    ‘patrons should also be aware that illegally parked vehicles will be impounded or clamped and will be liable to a fine. Galway City Council’s Community and Traffic Wardens will, together with An Garda Síochána, be rigourously reinforcing the parking bylaws throughout the event’ Mr Ciaran Hayes continues to explain to motorists that ‘illegally parked vehicles would include, but is not limited to illegal parking in such areas as disabled parking bays, bus bays, clearways, single yellow lines, double yellow lines, median strips, pedestrian crossings, parking on footpaths and adjacent to junctions. In these cases, while the issuing of a parking offence ticket is still appropriate and will occur, clamping will also be applied as the deterrent with tow-away to be applied where there is obstruction. There is no “grace period” for this category of offence’

All for motorists, yet the rest of the year it's ok to abandon vehicles on designated pedestrian facilities, bicycle paths etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I'm looking forward to getting some photographs of the event. But does anyone know any good spots to get a good photo of the boats as they come in?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

gary82 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to getting some photographs of the event. But does anyone know any good spots to get a good photo of the boats as they come in?? Thanks

What distance are we talking here?

If you want right up and close, be at the entrance to the lock gate/at the end of the lay-by (it's smelly but it'll do!)

IF you want 100m away shot, go down to the Galway Enterprise Park, cross over the bridge that goes over the river between Lough Atalia/the sea, take your first right and drive down to the end. You'll get great shots there (PS. This is the same location that Steyr posted pics of the helicopter last week)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

hello people. anyone know or guesstimate when they might actually be arriving? i'm looking at the volvo race web site and it seems they have a long way to go yet. i'd be surprised if they are here by the weekend. anyone who knows what there talking about have any info. heading to london for the football and was wondering if i might see some of them arriving monday???

fearruanua wrote: »
    hello people. anyone know or guesstimate when they might actually be arriving? i'm looking at the volvo race web site and it seems they have a long way to go yet. i'd be surprised if they are here by the weekend. anyone who knows what there talking about have any info. heading to london for the football and was wondering if i might see some of them arriving monday???

Monday is a possibility (25th) - I honestly don't think they'll be here by the 23rd, but what do I know?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Posted this over on photography forum yesterday

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055568825

In case anyone is interested in getting some VIP passes to take some snaps :)

There are also some prizes up for grabs with a competition from pix.ie
    http://pix.ie/group/galwayvolvooceanrace

Think I'm going to miss all the buzz thats going on as I'm stuck in dublin might make the end of the festival though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

fearruanua wrote: »

You can click on the arrows above the map to get a predictive postion for each day. Looks like Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Anyone know where the finish line will be for this leg of the race? assume it will be a bit out in the bay but just wondering where....

• Advertisement

According to the predictive route on Volvo site. All the boats will arrive in the early hours of Sunday morning. It also shows half of them missing Galway & heading off to Kinvarra !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Volvo Ocean Race is to be discussed on the Matt Cooper show on Today FM now in a few minutes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

As I was driving past the race village today, I noticed that the wall (with the new mural on it) next to the silver dome thing has loads of shards of glass and broken bottles sticking out of the top of it. They might want to get rid of that by Sunday morning if there is going to be a really big crowd coming for the arrival of the boats. I know that it was stuck onto the wall to deter trespassing but what a nasty trick :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Sconsey wrote: »
    Anyone know where the finish line will be for this leg of the race? assume it will be a bit out in the bay but just wondering where....

It was in the advertiser today about it being somewhere along mutton island.

As I was driving past the race village today, I noticed that the wall (with the new mural on it) next to the silver dome thing has loads of shards of glass and broken bottles sticking out of the top of it. They might want to get rid of that by Sunday morning if there is going to be a really big crowd coming for the arrival of the boats. I know that it was stuck onto the wall to deter trespassing but what a nasty trick :eek:

Thats been there for yearsssss, for as long as I can remember... it spread along the whole length of the wall to stop people jumping over the wall into the tank compound. Why should they get rid of it? People shouldn't be climbing over the wall, simple as that

Thats been there for yearsssss, for as long as I can remember... it spread along the whole length of the wall to stop people jumping over the wall into the tank compound. Why should they get rid of it? People shouldn't be climbing over the wall, simple as that

Because 80% of the wall has been knocked now. That's why and because it's really dangerous. The wall doesn't serve any purpose anymore. They have just left one corner of it. Trespassing is no longer an issue in relation to it. It just looks unsightly and wrong. I know the wall had been there for years and I know that the glass was put into it for a reason but the tanks are gone now as is most of the wall itself. Lovely colourful murals of the Green Dragon etc. don't go well together with shards of glass stuck to the top of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 deeringc

Because 80% of the wall has been knocked now. That's why and because it's really dangerous. The wall doesn't serve any purpose anymore. They have just left one corner of it. Trespassing is no longer an issue in relation to it. It just looks unsightly and wrong. I know the wall had been there for years and I know that the glass was put into it for a reason but the tanks are gone now as is most of the wall itself. Lovely colourful murals of the Green Dragon etc. don't go well together with shards of glass stuck to the top of it.

Couldn't agree more! It looks like some strange ocean going Berlin Wall!

I don't see why they couldn't just knock the whole thing down... it seems totally out of place and serves very little purpose as far as I can see. They could have another wall built in no time after the race has moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

just looking at the predicted arrival time and it looks like theres a slim chance they will arrive at around midnight saturday.
    the pace has quickened considerably since this morning.

I reckon closer to 9pm or even 7pm. They will have a nice S Westerly at force 4 to 5. !

Sconsey wrote: »

Nice info here

http://noticeboard.volvooceanrace.org/wp-content/uploads/leg-7-addendum-110509.pdf

Scroll to bottom of page to see finish line map

• Advertisement

next update is in 15minutes, will know more then

Maybe some nautical types could check my navigation but looking on the above link it appears that they have to pass between Rosaveel & Innishmore so no sneaky short cuts by going between Doolin & Inishere

According to http://volvooceanrace.geovoile.com/ it looks like they'll be coming in Sout of the islands, then veering NE by the South of Inis Óirr, then into the bay - you'd get some good shots from Blackhead with a good camera if they were passing during daylight hours

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Well we are a sea fairing nation at heart to start with, on the up side, it'll be a great event the waters around galway will be full of all kinds of boats, yatchs loads of colour,kids will love it, people from all over the world, happy shopkeepers, happy pubs, Down-side might be to many golf clubs in the city!.

from what i can see they seem to be covering 50miles/3hours with ericsonn 4 654nm out.
    if this pace continues(it most likely wont) id say they will be in sight come 12am-2am sunday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

You are spot on TristanPeter,

the wall looks rediculous now, and ithe shards of glass on top are frickn crazy. Should have been knocked completely, if nothing else it would have opened up the view of the dock.

Let's do it Galway seem to be doing things pretty much spot on logistically. Infact they are organising much more than I could organise, and probably more than any of you lot could organise. So no offence, but i'd trust their judgement before i'd trust people b1tching about a wall on an internet forum. I'm sure there was some reason for leaving it there - if it bothers you so much why don't you go and find out?

I wasn't bitching about it. I was merely pointing it out. It doesn't bother me whether or not they remove it, so don't try to make this into something it isn't. I just wouldn't like to see anyone insured by it in all the excitement of the arrival of the boats. You never know! Maybe it was an oversight on their part. It's nothing at all to do with the organiser's capabilities.

I wasn't bitching about it. I was merely pointing it out. It doesn't bother me whether or not they remove it, so don't try to make this into something it isn't. I just wouldn't like to see anyone insured by it in all the excitement of the arrival of the boats. You never know! Maybe it was an oversight on their part. It's nothing at all to do with the organiser's capabilities.

If someone get injured by it, they'd have to be climbing on the wall, hence trying to gain un-authorised access to a restricted area ie. trespassing. If you want to be at things like that, you must accept the consequences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

If someone get injured by it, they'd have to be climbing on the wall, hence trying to gain un-authorised access to a restricted area ie. trespassing. If you want to be at things like that, you must accept the consequences
    jesus, that's a wee bit harsh!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement