Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/103242/80522.JPG

Trespassing where ? Surely the surrounding metal fence will be removed when the works are done and the festivities have started ... making the wall redundant. I even wonder whether that section of the wall will be removed upon completion of the works.

(Picture by Foxy)

Back to topic, it looks like the boats will be in early on Sunday morning ...

ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

ultain wrote: »
    jesus, that's a wee bit harsh!
    Harsh but true
    ValerieR wrote: »
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/103242/80522.JPG

Trespassing where ? Surely the surrounding metal fence will be removed when the works are done and the festivities have started ... making the wall redundant. I even wonder whether that section of the wall will be removed upon completion of the works.

(Picture by Foxy)

Back to topic, it looks like the boats will be in early on Sunday morning ...

ValerieR
    I suspect that behind those tents will be cordoned off - why would organisers want people to be able to snoop around containers, and what looks like a refrigeration unit? Either way, no one has a reason to be up on that wall

/off topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Harsh but true

I suspect that behind those tents will be cordoned off - why would organisers want people to be able to snoop around containers, and what looks like a refrigeration unit? Either way, no one has a reason to be up on that wall
    /off topic

Hey JohnCleary

why dont you relax fella, you are all over boards, you post all over the place. If somene posted about a trout for sale in the trout for sale forum, you'd have somethin to say about it. If someone posted about granny throwing, over in the old persons are useful forum, you'd be stickin your oar in there also.

Go out and get some fresh air for god sakes, take a break from your computer, take a dog for a walk or something. You must be as pale as a ghost spending 22 hours a day all over boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They are probably learning scuba diving right now so they can clamp the keel bulbs on the volvo boats the night before the big off :).

HA HA HA , By far the funniest thing I have read in ages :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

KStaford wrote: »
    Hey JohnCleary

why dont you relax fella, you are all over boards, you post all over the place. If somene posted about a trout for sale in the trout for sale forum, you'd have somethin to say about it. If someone posted about granny throwing, over in the old persons are useful forum, you'd be stickin your oar in there also.

Go out and get some fresh air for god sakes, take a break from your computer, take a dog for a walk or something. You must be as pale as a ghost spending 22 hours a day all over boards.

That's the funniest thing that I have read in ages !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

How many people have you seen scratching their arse today? i saw three, but one of them could have been using a wall, i know a guy in Germany he said he saw six people in one day scratching their arse, but i don't know if i should believe him or not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

How many people have you seen scratching their arse today? i saw three, but one of them could have been using a wall, i know a guy in Germany he said he saw six people in one day scratching their arse, but i don't know if i should believe him or not.....

lol!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

And there was me thinking this thread was about this ......

263a93s.jpg

Silly me.

Anyways its looking like the estimated arrival time will be between 3am and 5am

Seriously. That is some route, the city is fairly quite, well it was when i was in earlier. calm before the storm.(touch wood)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

KStrafford - That's a grand thing to be saying considering ...........................yet you're not smart enough to click the ignore button?? :confused:

Always in the thick of it Mr. Off Topic.:pac::pac::pac:

Should be a good buzz around the town tomorrow night. Passed by the docs this evening and there was a good atmosphere building. Place looks great. Saw one of the Puma bout rasied up on a stand. Looking forward to the next 2 weeks.

Is there any live feeds comeing from any of the boats?

The Puma boat is some 'mast challenge' - sounds like fun, and open to everyone

It'd be great if some boat's came into the docks as late as 5am meaning there'd be a little bit of light which would make for some nice pics - i'd say there's some hardcore fans that'd wait out all night to see the boats come in - if I was in Galway I would anyhow. Flask of Irish Coffie and bob's yer uncle :D

ya im considering stayin but up only if the arrive at around 5 tho, with a sunrise and my new slr it could be emotional!
    If they arrive at ~4 i wont bother, not enough light for good pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Green Dragon live now on Late Late Show! 560Miles Out, ETA To Galway Midday Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

It's nice to see the boats will arrive this weekend, in sync with the welcoming events, thanks to the high winds which have quickened the pace.

skelliser wrote: »
    ya im considering stayin but up only if the arrive at around 5 tho, with a sunrise and my new slr it could be emotional!
    If they arrive at ~4 i wont bother, not enough light for good pics

That would be frickin' excellent. With the sun rising in the east and nothing blocking the light, you'd get a lovely glow off the boats if you went ot the end of the lay-be and took pics of the boats as they passed you, you'd get great shots of the stern, but not so much the bow as the sun would almost be behind you

Doooo it! :D

Steyr wrote: »
    Green Dragon live now on Late Late Show! 560Miles Out, ETA To Galway Midday Sunday.

Yup, went well I thought! When we were at the ISA National Conference they had the Green Dragon talking to us using Skype, nuts altogether

That would be frickin' excellent. With the sun rising in the east and nothing blocking the light, you'd get a lovely glow off the boats if you went ot the end of the lay-be and took pics of the boats as they passed you, you'd get great shots of the stern, but not so much the bow as the sun would almost be behind you

Doooo it! :D

was considering that location, along with the old quay in front of dun aengus, there id get a good shot of the end of nimmos pier and the sunrise as the boats pass in, if ya follow
    Cant choose between them tho??!!!

Where can I see the estimated arrival time on the Volvo site, apart from the 2D race viewer

• Advertisement

thats the only place afaik

So when the boats arrive, do they sail straight into the docks. i.e. is that the finish line, or is the finish line a bit out in the bay, they wait there until everyone finishes, then head into the docks together?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

You can see the predicted arrival times on http://www.volvooceanrace.org/rdc/
    Click on the "Data Tables" tab and the ETA shows in the 2nd table.

ValerieR

was considering that location, along with the old quay in front of dun aengus, there id get a good shot of the end of nimmos pier and the sunrise as the boats pass in, if ya follow

Problem there though is that the sun will be in-front (ish) of you at Nimmo's pier, so possibility of ruining the shot?

At least from Nimmo's pier the sun will be more behind you than in-front of you

Don't know much about photography tbh but if I were going to be there myself i'd be at the lay-by, it means you could also run up along the lay-be to the dock gates as they come in

The sunrise could over expose the pics if it's very vivid. But if you've a good camera and the ability to compensate for the over exposure the pics could be fantastic.

you cant get down there its all closed off:(
    its the ideal place but unless i know someone whos gonna let me sneak in its not gonna happen

regards your suggestion of nimmos:
    No man, i mean the quay at the end of the long walk, in front of dun aengus, facing nimmos pier, theres a old run down barge there iirc

sorry if im explaining myself poorly!! probably need a map to show ya where im on about
    this is the location im cosidering http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=galway+city&ie=UTF8&ll=53.268203,-9.049188&spn=0.00206,0.007752&t=h&z=18

i think i should be able to deal with the exposure, sunrise is at 5.27 so if they come in at ~4.45 or ~5 it could be epic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I got the grand tour of all the areas down there. Basically everything behind the Harbour Hotel is Teams Only Area - No Public. The boats will be taken out of the water and stored here for maintenance and repairs. All down along Dun Aengus is Food and Bar Areas. At the end of Dun Aengus over near the Dock Gates they have a full size racing boat similar to the ones in the actual race. There is a Steel Stairs upto it and you will be allowed to go up and have a look but believe me if your not one for heights; skip it. There is a Climbing Wall down there and big shed has been converted into a kind of Education Centre for School Kids.
    Along the Docks where the Navy Boats pull up are all Marketing Tents trying to sell stuff you can do without. The big TV will be moved over onto the Dun Aengus side for the Closing Ceromony.
    Up around the where the tanks use to be is all tents which look a bit VIP to me. There is a massive area displaying all of Volvos Fleet from a Big Bus to a small car. There is also a Similator. There is a big inflatable thing you go into - don't know what is inside :(
    There are these 2 yokes up on a small stage. Its the part of the boat where a "sailor" would "pedal" with is hands really fast. The revolutions are counted and there are records to be broken. There are official team merchandise shops.
    The "big stage" is not that big but that leaves more room for the people. The crowd who will be watching the concert will be standing where the car park was and on the road which will be closed.

They are still tarring the surfaces and putting up tents.

Folks - the place is looking ready for one big party and it looks like the place to be.

P.S. - I think the BLUE passes are Access All Areas :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Well we are a sea fairing nation at heart to start with, on the up side, it'll be a great event the waters around galway will be full of all kinds of boats, yatchs loads of colour,kids will love it, people from all over the world, happy shopkeepers, happy pubs, Down-side might be to many golf clubs in the city!.

You what?

• Advertisement

and where those one get these BLUE passes you speak of!

and can i have one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement