Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

The way things are going at present there wont be any boats in Galway, there are only five boats left tonight and according to RTE News one is sinking and a resue operation is underway to rescue the crew. Several of the boats are badly damaged which does not look good for the remainder of the race which has a very long way to go before they are due in Galway so even more could drop out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

There are only 8 boats in it? WTF the Tall Ships in Cork years ago was way bigger than this overhyped load will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Exams around the 25th may :(

Im not a fan of any form of boating but I am looking forward to this.

ValerieR wrote: »
    This event is going to take place from May the 23rd until June the 6th 2009.
    www.letsdoitgalway.com/press/video.php?id=1
    The Volvo Ocean Race started back in September 2008 and 8 high-tech boats are currently battling their way through the seas. Yesterday, they just left Cochin in India and are heading towards Singapour.
    One of the racing boats called Green Dragon is based out of Galway and Galway has been selected to become a stop-over venue.
    This event will be a fantastic opportunity and exposure for Galway and Ireland.
    The Lets Do It Galway team is working towards the organisation of this event. There is a huge amount of work to be done.
    You can watch a simulation of the racing village on the Let's Do It Galway website : www.letsdoitgalway.com/tourthevillage.php.
    Apparently, the oil tanks are coming down in January.
    Though the village is going to be made out of prefab and can be erected nearly overnight, the legacy to Galway will also be a great thing. The docks area will look so much better !
    You can follow the race on www.volvooceanrace.org and get more information on the Galway Team on www.greendragonracing.com.

ValerieR

Thanks for that post. I saw the docks renovation video and thought "How the *** are they going to get that done!". Hope it turns out as beautiful as its planned, the idea of prefabs usually hints at ****tyness though.

I might bring a camera into town the next day and take a few pics of what the docks looks like now. Im sure it would serve as a nice before and after pic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The reason for the pre-fab is because it'll be coming back down once the race moves on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

A bit of multimedia to suppliment the thread.... ;)

Launch of the Green Dragon in Galway

The plan for the docks...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I guarantee the average price of a pint will rocket. I guarantee that price gouging will occur.

Oh you guarantee it, do ya? The pubs don't put up their prices during Race Week, let alone prices rocketing, so why do you "guarantee" that's going to happen for the Volvo Race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GalwayDocksGirl

We have rented an apartment in prime location in the Docks for the past three years and had an agreement with the landlord that we could stay for the Volvo Ocean race (not in writing unfortunately!) Now the agency claims that they need to give notice due to refurbishment! That will put us out just before the Volvo, what a nightmare. We are a house share and never failed to pay the rent. We hope we can negotiate to stay... Might have one vacancy soon.

GalwayDocksGirl

• Registered Users Posts: 25,743 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

We have rented an apartment in prime location in the Docks for the past three years and had an agreement with the landlord that we could stay for the Volvo Ocean race (not in writing unfortunately!) Now the agency claims that they need to give notice due to refurbishment! That will put us out just before the Volvo, what a nightmare. We are a house share and never failed to pay the rent. We hope we can negotiate to stay... Might have one vacancy soon.

GalwayDocksGirl

I'm no expert, but once you've been there for over six months, doesn't that give you a Part 4 (something-or-other-four) tenancy with the right to stay for four years? If you're really keen to stay, it might be worth investigating.

OTOH, rents are supposedly dropping all over the city, so perhaps there's something better out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Refurbishment is not redecoration

Demand an engineers report on why the place is being "refurbished " and lodge a complaint with the PTSB for being thrown out on a false refurbishment claim by the landlord.

The PTSB will not decide until after the Volvo is over , anyway it is going to Cork seeing as they cannot get rid of those horrible tanks .

• Advertisement

Can I demand that report from the agency, they don't seem too keen on giving out any Information on their plans for the place. It's definitely sub-Standard only for all the work we put in over the months its nice, but the Landlord didn't have much time for it, and refers us to an agency now.
    And they seem to prefer NEW clients after "refurbishment". When the race is over it won't be easy to find loyal tenants who pay the amounts we have paid up lately 1500 x 12 x 3!! thats 54.000 EUR, you would think the landlord should be nice to you for taking a chunk off the mortgage in these times, wouldn't you. But instead we are now dealing with increasing pressure and ejection fears at the most impossible time (exam, treatment, Volvo, planned holiday in June)) they are trying to maximize rent over the race period.

So what can I lose if I go PTSB? If the landlord had not registered tenants and not fullfilled duties towards tenants in the past, does that help us with PTSB?

I thought the change of location to Cork had been dismissed in the meantime?

GDG

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Refurbishment is not redecoration

Demand an engineers report on why the place is being "refurbished " and lodge a complaint with the PTSB for being thrown out on a false refurbishment claim by the landlord.

The PTSB will not decide until after the Volvo is over , anyway it is going to Cork seeing as they cannot get rid of those horrible tanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is your address here http://www.prtb.ie/PublishedRegister2009/co_galway_09.htm
    Don't worry if it's not, you can ring them +353 (01) 6350 600

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

It looks like there will be 7 boats as of the next leg, starting in Rio De Janiero, 5 are doing this leg there themselves, 2 are skipping this leg, awaiting repairs (Telefonica Black and Ericsson 4), and will be back in the water in Rio. Team Russia had to drop out due to lack of finances.

But I have noticed that no work at all has begun, the oil tanks still stand, and I am beginning to doubt that Galway will be ready for this event.

With only about two months to go they should really have started already.

Let's be realistic, those tanks don't appear to be going anywhere, BUT, the pipes and the new tanks ARE built which can only be a good thing

What I think is going to happen now, is that whatever was planned to be where the tanks are (concert area & Ericsson building) will be moved to another location (I predict behind the RNLI where the recovery centre used to be for the building - now moved, not sure about concert venue)

The buildings are pre-fab so I don't expect them to go up until about 2 weeks before the stop-over

What i'm concerned about are the pontoons - there's supposed to be new ones covering pretty much the whole perimeter of the inner Docks - this doesn't happen overnight

They should get the unemployed artists in Galway to paint the tanks in some nice motif.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

it does annoy me now that the sailing fraternities in Dublin and Cork seem to be pushing the idea that Galway will be unready and unable to host the event. bit of a conspiracy really...will have to see how it pans out. in other news it's kind of apt that this up again, there's a presentation and q & a march 3rd, in merchants hall, merchants road (where?) by Lets Do It Galway in association with the Chamber of Commerce. Mind, it's only for the business community...so....i guess if youre not a member stay clear.

it does annoy me now that the sailing fraternities in Dublin and Cork seem to be pushing the idea that Galway will be unready and unable to host the event. bit of a conspiracy really...will have to see how it pans out. in other news it's kind of apt that this up again, there's a presentation and q & a march 3rd, in merchants hall, merchants road (where?) by Lets Do It Galway in association with the Chamber of Commerce. Mind, it's only for the business community...so....i guess if youre not a member stay clear.

It's on in the McDonagh building

I'm not a member of the Galway Chamber but it wouldn't stop me going. Infact the only thing stopping me going is that I won't be in Galway on the 3rd :( - I'd be there otherwise (purely for nosy purposes, my business would have no relationship with the Volvo stopover)

Looks like they finally backed down and leave us to the apartment over the Volvo period! :rolleyes: However, there are some conditions attached which I still have to find out about. We will also need another tenant for one room with Docks view from early-mid March to mid June. Anyone interested send us a private message. Hope the race comes to Galway. Someone told me last night that the tanks are empty now and ready to move, we will see...

GDG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I hope its not a knocking shop ....what with a dodgy username like that :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I hope they do push the idea that Galway isnt ready. Because it isnt. Absolutely nothing at all has been done. The removal of the oil tanks was to be the centrepiece. This isnt happening. The whole farce with the election posters. These were supposed to be banned. Now they're saying 'minimal' which is a cover word for 'business as usual'. They are still arguing over even providing a P&R for this. Its ludicrous. Once again, an Irish town has the chance to do something good and different and once again they are ****ing it up.

Wonder if there will be any boats left?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Iam a proud Galway and Irish man, but I have to agree. I really cant see us taking full advantage of this truly once in a lifetime opportunity to showcase Galway and Ireland as the great place it is.

If we haven't gave Europe and the world enough to laugh about with the death of the mighty 'celtic tiger', then taking a walk around the docks come may should do the trick.

But sure we're great craic I suppose, and we'll be able to count on the publicans, hotelilers, retailiers and every other description of hawker to milk every last cent out of those 'forneigners' whom have the misfortune of picking Galway as their port of call to see the race!

Go Green Dragon, save our pride!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Just went to book hotels... prices are all really really high for the weekend in question... :(

lightening wrote: »
    Just went to book hotels... prices are all really really high for the weekend in question... :(

Get in touch with Lets Do It Galway and ask them to provide you with a list of hotels that have promised not to up prices. If you tried a hotel on the list that upped prices make sure you let LDIG know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

kevcos wrote: »
    But sure we're great craic I suppose, and we'll be able to count on the publicans, hotelilers, retailiers and every other description of hawker to milk every last cent out of those 'forneigners' whom have the misfortune of picking Galway as their port of call to see the race!

Which retailers will have prices up, exactly?

Several months ago my better half and myself went to the GCBA dinner and information night about the Volvo Ocean Race in the Meyrick at a cost of E70 each. Instead of getting information on the race and the stopover, we got Enda O'Coineen telling us 3 times in a 45 minute "speech" that although he was a sailor he wasn't gay, and had the kids to prove it. And that he was mega rich.

If the ignoramus that made that speech is supposed to be an ambassador of our town, then our reputation is well ruined.

It turned out that "Let's do it Galway" were having their information night 2 weeks later, so had decided not to release any information at the night in the Meyrick. They had also decided no to tell anyone and let the night in the Meyrick go ahead and be torpedoed by Mr. O'Coineen. Obviously they felt that they didn't need the traders on their side.

Anyway, if this whole thing does end up in Cork, then I want to see Lets do it Galway have to pay back the E7 million they got from Failte Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Fey! wrote: »
    Enda O'Coineen telling us 3 times in a 45 minute "speech" that although he was a sailor he wasn't gay, and had the kids to prove it.

:eek:

such comments would paint Galway in a very poor light internationally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

lightening wrote: »

I wouldn't hold out much hope there, the only promise is that hotels will adhere to published rates and that they will not be dictated to on price by Fáilte Ireland or anyone else. See posts #26 & #27

Fey! wrote: »
    It turned out that "Let's do it Galway" were having their information night 2 weeks later, so had decided not to release any information at the night in the Meyrick. They had also decided no to tell anyone and let the night in the Meyrick go ahead and be torpedoed by Mr. O'Coineen. Obviously they felt that they didn't need the traders on their side.

Want to know the worst thing? The info evening was free, the drink was free and the light food for nibbling on was free :o Enda O C didn't say a word at it, John Kileen gave a decent speech and the MC (Is that what you'd call him in this sense?) was Hectorrrrr the wreck-the-head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

werent his comments directed mainly at a certain prominent local newspaper editor? who had once written in an editorial about sailing that all those involved were either puffs or perverts, are something like that? squirmy night!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Get in touch with Lets Do It Galway and ask them to provide you with a list of hotels that have promised not to up prices. If you tried a hotel on the list that upped prices make sure you let LDIG know

Was at a meeting recently and the guy from the hotel federation said that the hotels have all given out their discount rooms, mainly to the teams and sponsors etc, and that the rest were on "rack rates" i.e. they would not go above this rack rate quoted to Failte Ireland, but that supply and demand would dictate the price. So there won't be any cheap rooms for that period, except maybe during the midweek, but the weekends will be very busy, especially since there is a bank holiday weekend in there too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement