Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options
  • 13-12-2008 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

I hear that the Galway leg of the Volvo Ocean Race will be the biggest event ever to hit Galway, even Ireland.
    Apparently every hotel for miles will be booked.
    What is so special about it that makes it this big.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pr-guru

I hear that the Galway leg of the Volvo Ocean Race will be the biggest event ever to hit Galway, even Ireland.
    Apparently every hotel for miles will be booked.

Well SalthillGuy, I'm glad you asked. For me what makes it so big is how it prompts webdesign/linkfarm companies from Tuam to post on the Galway section of boards. Probably attempting to link their Galway web directory to the key words of the title Volvo Ocean Race - Galway . :pac::pac::pac: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

all i know is i gots a great view for it :D

however,noise pollution and all that jazz might demand free tickets, out of coutersy to the adjacent residents.........:D i live in hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

nah i got better than a great view, im gonna rent my house out for a month at 650 a WEEK, and im gonna go on holiday at the same time lol
    people are coming from all over the world for this,
    me im going some where else and making some money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Will the dirty oil tanks at the docks be removed in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Will the dirty oil tanks at the docks be removed in time?

I've been wondering the same thing lately, they'd want to get the finger out if they are going to setup the docks anything like that computer animation they have of the site.

• Advertisement

i remember seeing in the advertiser around spetember that they were supposed to go by november? (2008 i WAS presuming!)

oh just did a bit of searching there....

http://www.galwaynews.ie/5687-oil-tanks-move-delayed

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭citycentre

They HAVE to be gone - the site of them is where most of the facilities and venues for the event are going to be set up! They really will be cutting it fine I fear - May isn't far away at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

It's the equivalent of a Formula One car race coming to the city. It's HUGE! Sailing is incredibly popular in Ireland as we are an island nation, I will be up to see the boats. I have been sailing for years, believe me, it is exciting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1gcvHBd7oc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ah yes, but compared to Race week how big is this event?

It will be really photogenic, here come the yachts now past Galway's infamous sewage treatment plant awaiting the high tide so they can make it into the port..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Volvo Ocean Race is the Yachting equivilant to F1, it's a pretty big deal with a LOT of followers, yachting is a very popular sport/hobby all over the world.

Yeah those tanks opposite the Docks/Harbour Hotel will be moved, if you look at the Docks on the RNLI/Harbour Hotel side you'll see they're currently laying the new pipes which lead out past the Galway Harbour Enterprise Park, the new tanks will be out that direction

The actual buildings for the stopover won't go up until about 1/2 weeks before the stopover as they're pre-fabricated and can go up almost overnight.

It's gonna be fun, i'm gonna spend a few days on the water and the other few on land - there'll be a great atmosphere

PS. What are these 'tickets' that some poster mentioned? There will be no tickets, it'll be an open air event, you'll be able to walk in around the docks, but obviously there'll be some places the public won't have access to ie. Workshops etc. As for noise pollution, it won't actually be that loud at night apart from work being carried out on the boats etc. - It's not a flippin' concert :D

• Advertisement

I've tried searching without success, but during the summer there was an article in the media about hotels & businesses promising not to rip-off people coming to this event. Does anyone remember this?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Volvo Ocean Race is the Yachting equivilant to F1, it's a pretty big deal with a LOT of followers, yachting is a very popular sport/hobby all over the world.

Yeah those tanks opposite the Docks/Harbour Hotel will be moved, if you look at the Docks on the RNLI/Harbour Hotel side you'll see they're currently laying the new pipes which lead out past the Galway Harbour Enterprise Park, the new tanks will be out that direction

The actual buildings for the stopover won't go up until about 1/2 weeks before the stopover as they're pre-fabricated and can go up almost overnight.

It's gonna be fun, i'm gonna spend a few days on the water and the other few on land - there'll be a great atmosphere

PS. What are these 'tickets' that some poster mentioned? There will be no tickets, it'll be an open air event, you'll be able to walk in around the docks, but obviously there'll be some places the public won't have access to ie. Workshops etc. As for noise pollution, it won't actually be that loud at night apart from work being carried out on the boats etc. - It's not a flippin' concert :D

ahh Mr. Cleary, the man who is convinced he knows all on boards. there are several concerts and open air events organised throughout the fortnight, which will be going on late into the night.

please, for god sake, get facts right before you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 clostrafobic

I was over at the opening of the race in Alicante.The place was electric!We went over on the Thursday(day before the start of the race) and spent the whole day in the race village.The set-up was amazing; volvo tents had race simulators and rc boats,several bars and main sponsor had own tents aswell as the competitors.The Irish tent was mainly a tourism tent but had a bar upstairs for vips.

On race day we went on the Irish spectators boat with the 'letsdoitgalway' team.I have to say it's probably the best to watch the start of the race.They are quite strict on being close to the boats and security in general.The entrance to the village was controlled by security with metal detectors, one thing the spainish hadnt quite understood walking through with there belts etc on!!:mad:

The Galway looks to be something good.There is still a good bit of work to be done if they want it to be like that in Alicante but as was said theres not much that can be done now.The projection for it is;
    'A three-acre village will be developed for the event which will be the biggest sporting event in Ireland since the Ryder Cup, with up to 140,000 visitors expected for the fleet arrival, in-port racing and two-week festival of culture and 'craic'. It is estimated that it will generate €43 million for the local economy'

Can't wait!!:D

I was over at the opening of the race in Alicante.The place was electric!We went over on the Thursday(day before the start of the race) and spent the whole day in the race village.The set-up was amazing; volvo tents had race simulators and rc boats,several bars and main sponsor had own tents aswell as the competitors.The Irish tent was mainly a tourism tent but had a bar upstairs for vips.

On race day we went on the Irish spectators boat with the 'letsdoitgalway' team.I have to say it's probably the best to watch the start of the race.They are quite strict on being close to the boats and security in general.The entrance to the village was controlled by security with metal detectors, one thing the spainish hadnt quite understood walking through with there belts etc on!!:mad:

The Galway looks to be something good.There is still a good bit of work to be done if they want it to be like that in Alicante but as was said theres not much that can be done now.The projection for it is;
    'A three-acre village will be developed for the event which will be the biggest sporting event in Ireland since the Ryder Cup, with up to 140,000 visitors expected for the fleet arrival, in-port racing and two-week festival of culture and 'craic'. It is estimated that it will generate €43 million for the local economy'

Can't wait!!:D

It's gonna be epic, let's hope for decent weather

End of May/Start of June has been lovely weather for the past 2 years (weather got crap after that) - I'll never forget the first week in June 2007 swimming at the Cliffs of Moher :eek:

Yeah that was one thing about being in spain for it was the weather.loungin around the race village was such craic coz the boats were there and the extreme 40's were racing.thats one thing that might be good in galway that there wont be any extreme 40's,bit too big for our little dock!!!:)
    When we had gone over we had made drink quite a priority...but the spainish didnt seem to so thats something we can improve on!however there bars were open untill 5 or 6 :mad:

Yeah that was one thing about being in spain for it was the weather.loungin around the race village was such craic coz the boats were there and the extreme 40's were racing.thats one thing that might be good in galway that there wont be any extreme 40's,bit too big for our little dock!!!:)
    When we had gone over we had made drink quite a priority...but the spainish didnt seem to so thats something we can improve on!however there bars were open untill 5 or 6 :mad:

That's cause the Spanish aren't alcoholics :p I'm gonna stay on the dry while on the water but will enjoy a tipple or two when on land. What was the temp like in Spain? We could be lucky and hit a good spell next year (fingers crossed). As I said the same time in 2007 and 2008 was a scorcher that time of year (by Irish standards) - If we get the same again it'll be the icing on the cake

what type of boat will you watching the inshores on?Too much effort for me to put my boat in the water but live on the docks so I'll do allrite!!:D

what type of boat will you watching the inshores on?Too much effort for me to put my boat in the water but live on the docks so I'll do allrite!!:D

Duno, will either be out on my sports cruiser or could be skippering a Cranchi Zaffiro 34, or might to mad and take the racing boat out :eek:

I'd take the Z34 over my own boat becuse it means the transportation will be taken care of - all I have to do is drive :) So it'll be down to my mood I guess, 2 extremes, either Gin Palaces or hardcore/body bashing in a wetsuit less than 2ft from the water :)

I'm not sure what watching the races on the water will be like.The starts will be epic but as long as the courses are tight it'll be good to watch.What's your 'racing boat'?
    Being Irish we will want to keep the parties going all nite so wonder how they'll aproach restriction times to keep us under control!Our race village is much more open in comparison to Alicante's village.

I'm not sure what watching the races on the water will be like.The starts will be epic but as long as the courses are tight it'll be good to watch.What's your 'racing boat'?
    Being Irish we will want to keep the parties going all nite so wonder how they'll aproach restriction times to keep us under control!Our race village is much more open in comparison to Alicante's village.

Thundercat (Similar to Zapcats). We mainly race in the UK (But there was an event in Cork this year and another one next summer too)

TBH I reckon there'll be as much (if not more) a buzz on the land around the Docks rather than on the water so it'll be down to the weather for me. If it's cracking weather, the water it is. If weather aint great, the land will do nicely :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

nah i got better than a great view, im gonna rent my house out for a month at 650 a WEEK, and im gonna go on holiday at the same time lol
    people are coming from all over the world for this,
    me im going some where else and making some money :)

For a month yeah? You do know its only on for 2 weeks... :rolleyes:

And I hope you're declaring that income for tax ;)

Zzippy wrote: »
    For a month yeah? You do know its only on for 2 weeks... :rolleyes:

And I hope you're declaring that income for tax ;)

Oh of course he is :) The twist here is that a lot of the people that follow this race could be the kind of people who would like a receipt - so good luck to the oul' punter trying to make a quick buck (Of course some people will just throw the cash at you no probs)

To answer a question earlier, a number of hotels have agreed not to raise prices during the stopover. I think Lets Do It Galway will be promoting these hotels (obviously enough) but will book out soon i'd imagine.

Yeah I had heard something about certain hotels freezing prices for the time thats its here.I would love to be able to rent out my apt. for the event.plenty can be made out of it!:D but then nowhere to watch it. Anybody doing the virtual race online?
    http://www.volvooceanracegame.org/home.php

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

This event is going to take place from May the 23rd until June the 6th 2009.
    www.letsdoitgalway.com/press/video.php?id=1
    The Volvo Ocean Race started back in September 2008 and 8 high-tech boats are currently battling their way through the seas. Yesterday, they just left Cochin in India and are heading towards Singapour.
    One of the racing boats called Green Dragon is based out of Galway and Galway has been selected to become a stop-over venue.
    This event will be a fantastic opportunity and exposure for Galway and Ireland.
    The Lets Do It Galway team is working towards the organisation of this event. There is a huge amount of work to be done.
    You can watch a simulation of the racing village on the Let's Do It Galway website : www.letsdoitgalway.com/tourthevillage.php.
    Apparently, the oil tanks are coming down in January.
    Though the village is going to be made out of prefab and can be erected nearly overnight, the legacy to Galway will also be a great thing. The docks area will look so much better !
    You can follow the race on www.volvooceanrace.org and get more information on the Galway Team on www.greendragonracing.com.

ValerieR

JohnCleary wrote: »
    To answer a question earlier, a number of hotels have agreed not to raise prices during the stopover. I think Lets Do It Galway will be promoting these hotels (obviously enough) but will book out soon i'd imagine.

Thanks, found the story, a few hotels are promising not to charge an arm and a leg and Hotels that sign up to the charter will clearly state their rates and tariffs for the duration of the event and all rates quoted will be in line with comparable stopover destinations around the world, such as Boston (pop. 608,352), Capetown (pop. 3,497,097) & Singapore (pop. 4,839,400) http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/hotels-unite-to-offer-value-rates-to-volvo-visitors/

Just saw this in today's Sentinel.. looks like galway hotels will raise their rates for this event and leave a sour taste in the mouths of visitors.
    Hotel bosses in the city insist they will not engage in “price gouging” or “profiteering” during the Volvo Ocean Race stopover but warned that demand, and not semi-State bodies, will determine their pricing during the event.
    Paul Gill, Chairman of the Galway Branch of the Irish Hotels Federation, said the city hotel sector wouldn’t “throw the baby out with the bathwater” by charging excessive rates during the event which is expected to bring up to 140,000 visitors to Galway for two weeks in May and June.
    However, he said it is illegal for semi-State bodies such as Fáilte Ireland West to be dictating what price hotels should be charging during the stopover and said that ultimately supply and demand will dictate their pricing structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I think they will not overcharge as its going to be a great event and they would only spoil it by overcharging the public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I guarantee the average price of a pint will rocket. I guarantee that price gouging will occur.

I also know this event will be chaos. The council are faffing about whether to bother with a P&R service. Its patently obvious to anyone with half a brain that a massive P&R service is needed - one on the Dublin road and one on the Limerick road AT LEAST. Shut a lane of the DCs aroun Galway and use them as bus lanes for a time to make sure people can get to this event easily.

If this is the biggest event ever to hit Galway, lets do it properly and make a good impression on visitors. Lets not **** it up and do it Irish style. Look at the Farnborough airshow in England for how to do a P&R properly.

Unfortunately, all I predict for this Ocean Race is unmitigated chaos and terrible management, and a smattering of election posters to boot.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I think they will not overcharge as its going to be a great event and they would only spoil it by overcharging the public

Business is Business and basic economics will dictate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I hope all the tourists get to meet Nora and Seamus. T'wud be hilarious

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement