Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Just to echo other posters here: Galway did a great job. From traffic management to entertainment, A definite pat on the back all round is required. Well done to everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

rn wrote: »
    Just to echo other posters here: Galway did a great job. From traffic management to entertainment, A definite pat on the back all round is required. Well done to everyone involved.

Agreed (big time). Fair play to all for ensuring some positivity in the midst of all this negativity. Mighty job, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭magicface

What are we going to do I have a serious dose of VOLVO OCEAN RACE buzz withdrawals! I need help

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If anyone who has anything to do with running Galway reads this please realise that this amazing event must be the precursor to many events like it.
    "Let's Do It" did it & deserve every praise. Now lets have a succession of like minded people to promote other events. "Let's Do It" have thrown down a marker for others to follow. We all know that this is the best feckin town on Earth & it deserves many more Volvo's.

But it's every one of you who attended the events with such total enthusiasm that made the Volvo & you all deserve a pat on the back !. Future visitors will wonder why Galway kids know about Spinnakers & Sheets ( & I don't mean the ones on the bed !).

Well done Galway. Now Let's Do It for another event !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I propose an annual round Ireland Yacht Race.:) Starting and finishing in Galway
    of course, :D
    Perhaps a round Ireland and UK race, say alternating years, pick a route including half the ports from,Galway, Limerick, Cork, Waterford, Dublin, Belfast, Derry, Sligo, and a few UK Ports.
    Just a daft idea from someone who wants the magic to continue.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

galwayrush wrote: »
    I propose an annual round Ireland Yacht Race.:)
    http://www.roundirelandyachtrace.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Have to say the docks looked amazing they went all out for the race and fair play. well done to all involved, I too also hope that the docks get redeveloped , i really dont see why it couldnt be that cool all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

They love pi$$in away money on needless projects, so why not aim towards the docks for a while, so to speak...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Have to say the docks looked amazing they went all out for the race and fair play. well done to all involved, I too also hope that the docks get redeveloped , i really dont see why it couldnt be that cool all the time!

That is due to start very soon, if the serial objectors stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

minxie wrote: »
    Nooooo it would be too depressing to look at :(

puttin my last of the pics up in the other pics and vids thread, there are some very depresing pics.............:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Any idea what they are planning on doing down there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

May be a good while waiting for it to start - AFAIK there is a lot of work to be done and funding to be secured before anything will happen.
    s_carnage wrote: »
    Any idea what they are planning on doing down there?

Check out this thread for details http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055440860

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Hate to say it, but theres absolutely no way this will be going ahead any time soon. Where are they gonna get the money from?

No, I'm sad to say that any docks development will be swept under the carpet. No marina will be built, and I reckon the place where the oil tanks were will rapidly deteriorate into a pile of weeds and rubbish, not being maintained and certainly not being built on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Hate to say it, but theres absolutely no way this will be going ahead any time soon. Where are they gonna get the money from?

No, I'm sad to say that any docks development will be swept under the carpet. No marina will be built, and I reckon the place where the oil tanks were will rapidly deteriorate into a pile of weeds and rubbish, not being maintained and certainly not being built on.

No doubt the harbour company will have a car park in there pretty quick while it's figured out what to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭sgthighway

IMHO John Killeen is the main man for bringing it to Galway. He was told he could have the boat race by the organisers if he could get arrangements in place. He met with Failte Ireland and told them he wanted to bring the VOR to Galway but it would cost FI 8 million euro. FI said it was a good idea but they would have to think about it. John Killeen then held went on and told all the media the VOR was coming to Galway before FI had agreed. He was well organised and had the motivation and balls to do it. Well Done!

I reckon Galway would not get it again because somebbody else will stroke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Bit late with this cos I've been busy, but anyway....

From wandering around on the first evening until the last day, I felt there was a real happy buzz in the town. A very different feel from Race Week, a much nicer feel.
    Watching the boats arrive & depart from the comfort of home was great.
    Booking the last "sail for €35" trip & getting the yacht to ourselves (apart from the skipper!) was brilliant.

Much kudos to the organisers, who organised very well, the volunteers who kept things moving, the friendly crews who showed limitless patience with the hordes.
    Galway has put itself very much on the map for a whole different market. I hope those who can, make the most of the opportunity.
    Well done to all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

sgthighway wrote: »
    IMHO John Killeen is the main man for bringing it to Galway. He was told he could have the boat race by the organisers if he could get arrangements in place. He met with Failte Ireland and told them he wanted to bring the VOR to Galway but it would cost FI 8 million euro. FI said it was a good idea but they would have to think about it. John Killeen then held went on and told all the media the VOR was coming to Galway before FI had agreed. He was well organised and had the motivation and balls to do it. Well Done!

I reckon Galway would not get it again because somebbody else will stroke it.

Totally agree with you about John Killeen being a force to be reckoned with when it came to the Stopover. Got Enda O'Coineen's book the last day and it's interesting reading when he writes about how it all came about. Wont quote directly but it goes something like this:

Jamie Boag watching success of Ryder Cup in Ireland in 2006 thought the same could be done for the sport in which he was a professional - sailing. At the same time John Killeen was exploring new ways to develop the Port of Galway, Eamon Conneely was looking for a fresh challenge after winning the World TP52 Championship, while Enda O'Coineen was looking to get an Irish entry into the VOR. Jamie Boag decided that those goals/ambitions could coalesce into something larger by entering a team into the VOR and making Galway a stopover. This would provide the complete package to sell to the Government. Then others were coopted on such as Gerry Barrett, David Beattie, Robert Dix (an Olympic Sailor) and Richard Burrows, Governor of the Bank of Ireland. O'Coineen credits Jamie's drive and John Killeeens support that allowed it to come about. This group tackled the Government and Failte Ireland to secure funing. It goes on a bit, naming other people like Brian Sheridan and Ray Rooney and lots in Failte Ireland; it also tells how the boat was built and the tanks came down in time so if anyone wants to know anymore get the book, but one direct quote stands out for me:

"The project has been an extraordinary team effort in entrepeneurship - something I am proud to be part of and, despite some tough calls, we are still friends and talking to each other!"

While all the big boys get alot of the plaudits and deservedly so for vision etc let's not forget those in the office and the volunteers on the ground who worked tirelessly day in and day out to see this thing through to completion!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement