Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

dinneenp wrote: »
    this is all I know of:
    Then on weekend of 5th June to 6th June 2009, the farewell spectacular with a fireworks display and the departure of race yachts and the 'Parade of Sail'. Farewell celebration in the Race Village on Saturday 6th June and free live concerts.

but if the boats are gone....at lunchtime....wont fireworks be ineffective....unless of course they are on friday night after the stunning.....make a bit of sense....hadnt heard anything but stand to be corrrected....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just like to say had a great time in galway last w/e brilliant organisation, brialliant events
    b&b was reasonably priced in salthill 10 mins walk to city and salthill.
    (slightly more wind would have been good but only slightly) loved the boats
    just to everyone about getting it again, stopover cities have to sponsor boats to get the stopover, this race it cost about €14 million to put in the green dragon (i think) god knows what ericcsson telefonica and puma boats cost (considering the one you could go on was jumped off a wave and they broke the hull) just to put a bit of perspective on how you get stopovers.

cant see why they couldnt do it again though (rumours are belfast want it)

anyway congrats to galway fro a great event, think thye managed to capture the public imagination on this one and we all wanted a few days off from the recession

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Over 300,000 visitors to the race village so far according to today's Galway Independent :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

cornbb wrote: »
    Over 300,000 visitors to the race village so far according to today's Galway Independent :eek:

Yarrrrrrrrrrr and not a looker in the bunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Yarrrrrrrrrrr and not a looker in the bunch!

Saw a lot of Galway Hookers though..............;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

The cheeky buggers even had their own tent!!

hookers.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

DonalN wrote: »
    The cheeky buggers even had their own tent!!

I saw that a week ago and thought gosh won't the tourists think we're a progressive liberal town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

That's just the race village. That figure doesn't include anyone who only attended the Red Arrows and in-port racing in Salthill!

KevR wrote: »
    That's just the race village. That figure doesn't include anyone who only attended the Red Arrows and in-port racing in Salthill!

True enough, but I wonder if a lot of people who visited the Race Village got counted more than once. I've been there at least 4-5 times myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Anyone know who's playing tonight?

• Advertisement

moonflower wrote: »
    Anyone know who's playing tonight?

Aslan, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Aslan, I think.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HarcourtGreen

Anyone know what the departure route out of galway bay will be?
    I.e - will they go left (south) down around the south of ireland, english channel then north sea or right (north over the tip of ireland and scotland?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

stopover cities have to sponsor boats to get the stopover, this race it cost about €14 million to put in the green dragon (i think) god knows what ericcsson telefonica and puma boats cost (considering the one you could go on was jumped off a wave and they broke the hull) just to put a bit of perspective on how you get stopovers.

Puma are rumoured to have put in about 70 million, ericsson even more.

But all 11 stopover cites can't have a boat in the race. Do they part sponsor some of the other entries?
    I know the cities pay a franchise fee to Volvo Ocean Race for being on the route.

The previous races in 05/06 and 01/02 had two stops that were also on this one, Cape Town and Rio De Janeiro.

I.e - will they go left (south) down around the south of ireland, english channel then north sea or right (north over the tip of ireland and scotland?)

Left, around the south through the english channel and on to the north sea

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

As far as I know they're going south around by cork and southern England. They had originally planned to go North though

edit: snap

There's an excellent interview in the Advertiser today with the Communications Director of the Ocean Race (not sure if that's his exact title but it's something like that). He's from Dublin and given his position he is in a good position to give an analysis of how everything has went. He said that everyone involved was highly impressed by the Galway stopover and it should be a model for future stopovers, and he explains how Galway is well positioned to get another stopover. He also points out some faults that were made, particularly how Galway's image should not be all about drink and "the craic", that there are some infrastructure deficits, and that the likes of the IDA and Enterprise Ireland were conspicuously absent from involvement in the event. Well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

There's an excellent interview in the Advertiser today with the Communications Director of the Ocean Race (not sure if that's his exact title but it's something like that). He's from Dublin and given his position he is in a good position to give an analysis of how everything has went. He said that everyone involved was highly impressed by the Galway stopover and it should be a model for future stopovers, and he explains how Galway is well positioned to get another stopover. He also points out some faults that were made, particularly how Galway's image should not be all about drink and "the craic", that there are some infrastructure deficits, and that the likes of the IDA and Enterprise Ireland were conspicuously absent from involvement in the event. Well worth a read.

Here we go -
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/13029

It is indeed an interesting read

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Excellent article.

Krieg wrote: »
    Here we go -
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/13029

It is indeed an interesting read

Cheers, I had forgotten that the advertiser are on the interwebz :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HarcourtGreen

Yep this is correct - thanks, I emailed green dragon racing via their website yesterday after posting this and I was impressed to get a reply from their press secratary almost straight away!. She said that they will head south down to the fastnet rock and over through the english channel. Am thinking of going over to black head in Clare to get some photos, hopefully they will stay in close to the shore as they swing around by black head. Hard to know for sure tho.
    dloob wrote: »
    Left, around the south through the english channel and on to the north sea

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

There should be some great photographs along the coast of Clare, especially with the Cliffs in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

dont mean to plug the book, but Enda O'Coineen has updated his biography to include two chapters on how the Stopover came to Galway and how the Green Dragon was born, if anyone is interested. It's called the Unsinkable Entrepeneur and was mentioned in today's Irish Times.

The city tribune has a story today "No Guarantees - But Galway looks a front runner for next race"

It says 81 cities including Galway have submitted an interest in the next race.
    An Irish racing entry will probably be a requirement.
    Cork and Dublin upset at been passed over last time will also be applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

Quick question, might be already asked, can't find info anywhere, what time the boats departing the docks tomorrow? Thought it was half 11 am.

Info would be grrreat

Also does anyone know where the actual starting line for the race is? Around Mutton Island or further west? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Also does anyone know where the actual starting line for the race is? Around Mutton Island or further west? Cheers.

No link, but:
    The yachts will start off Mutton Island and Salthill between the start flag and black and white Volvo mark with an orange top, which will have a Navy ship moored by it. The fleet will sail a sausage shaped course in the Bay. The Volvo Open 70s will leave the marks to port.

The fleet will then head out of Galway Bay, next point of interest the fleet passing between mainland Ireland and the Fastnet Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

just heard U2 are currently staying in the G hotel............guest apperance is rumored again..........?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The Stunning were great. Best gig I was ever at. Crowd surfing was fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Yeah it was mega :D

12 years in Galway now and have been to many gigs
    festivals,concerts etc
    can only say well done to everyone involved!!!

really enjoyed the last two weeks, the buzz, vibe, the adrenalin

Wow/..............

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement