Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm at my mate's place overlooking the docks, we've just enjoyed the African music from tonight. What an unreal buzz. The amount of goodwill and fun is just great. I'm convinced that this event is one of the best things ever to come to Galway. I'll post my thoughts in more detail when I'm not under the influence :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I have to say I was surprised the Sawdoctors weren't already on the bill; I'm no massive fan at all and wouldn't care whether they were or not, but I suppose since all the bands are local/irish/the type gbfm play I am surprised...even Christy Moore, I thought he'd be playing

Christy Moore... NOW we're talking!!! :D Get that man to Galway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's what I imagine Race Week might be like without the army of obnoxious wankering drunken cokeheads ruining everyone's fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Sarky wrote: »
    It's what I imagine Race Week might be like without the army of obnoxious wankering drinken cokeheads ruining everyone's fun.

That's what the marketing slogan should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have to say I was surprised the Sawdoctors weren't already on the bill; I'm no massive fan at all and wouldn't care whether they were or not, but I suppose since all the bands are local/irish/the type gbfm play I am surprised...even Christy Moore, I thought he'd be playing

I'm surprised too...they are at home at the moment so it wouldn't surprise me if they were to be added. That'd be Saw Doctors show number 21 for me! :o

On a side note, 1,000th post! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Sure Christy Moore would only be roaring at everyone to be quiet ha ha! Myself and herself are just back from our first stroll around the village and I have to say well done. What a fantastic vibe and the organization seems to be top notch. Tomorrow I'm gonna hit the village and have a righteous drink and join in the merriment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The Ericcson boat is currently out sailing in the bay, the wind is about 20-25kts so I wonder what sort of speed they're doing :D I was out windsurfing and a few of us were tempted to sail out to meet it but it probably wouldn't have been the smartest move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

My friend just told me that buskers weren't allowed during the day at race village. This is a pity:( I can sort of understand it in the evening when bands are on, but surely 'by donation' entertainment in the day when there is no other isn't bad?)
    As a result apparently there were buskers every 4 feet today on Shop St (most of them out of towners who came to busk for the race).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Town itself is crawling with buskers/street performers... I see there is music being piped around the village now, I know i found it a bit strange over the weekend during the day when there wasn't music, I think it adds to the atmosphere. Even if it is from GBFM's chip van:) It's lovely just to stroll around.

Still betting it will be the Sawdocs as the surprise guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭LoopyL

any one know what night the surprise guest is ment to be playing?? i would be thinking either this weekend or else the leaving ceramony?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

My exams are finished Friday morning so I might delay going home to stick around Friday and Saturday to watch the search and rescue, red arrows and the boat race.

I'd love to take some pics of the event but my camera is a big chunky 3MP dinosaur with limited control over settings so not the best results.

I might try get a mid race panorama of the bay, from the South Park side. It'll have the scenery of the bay, the boats mid race, and the crowd on the prom.

I'm delighted there are no buskers let in down there, plenty of room on shop street.

I'm delighted there are no buskers let in down there, plenty of room on shop street.

Why's that? Shop Street is thronged with too many buskers. The capoiera guys were there at the weekend until they got moved on and people seemed to love it. I would prefer live music to the piped stuff meself. Some of the members of bands on the stages are even buskers themselves too!

Just curious as to why you wouldn't want them:)

inisboffin wrote: »
    Why's that? Shop Street is thronged with too many buskers. The capoiera guys were there at the weekend until they got moved on and people seemed to love it. I would prefer live music to the piped stuff meself. Some of the members of bands on the stages are even buskers themselves too!

Just curious as to why you wouldn't want them:)

Personally have no problem with buskers, I think they add alot to Shop street but how do you prevent every 'tom dick and harry' who know 3 chords and have a voice like a drain from swamping the place with their rubbish busking (ie 6 different versions of Galway Girl at once played in the wrong key)? As it is, there isn't too much room anyway down there anyway and the space that is available should be to facilitate those who have travelled and want to enjoy the great atmosphere without those useless buskers roaring in their ear. Would have no problem with a couple decent buskers scattered around the village but how would you regulate this? :)

LoopyL wrote: »
    any one know what night the surprise guest is ment to be playing?? i would be thinking either this weekend or else the leaving ceramony?

What day is the surprise guest meant to be playing?

Personally have no problem with buskers, I think they add alot to Shop street but how do you prevent every 'tom dick and harry' who know 3 chords and have a voice like a drain from swamping the place with their rubbish busking (ie 6 different versions of Galway Girl at once played in the wrong key)? As it is, there isn't too much room anyway down there anyway and the space that is available should be to facilitate those who have travelled and want to enjoy the great atmosphere without those useless buskers roaring in their ear. Would have no problem with a couple decent buskers scattered around the village but how would you regulate this? :)

Ya, fair enough, I take your point. I was thinking ideal world where maybe there are 2 or 3 pitches in the daytime, and perhaps like in parts of London, they are 'invited' to the pitch, I supposed they'd regulate it like now, where no one is allowed. When there is a good busker, it adds a lot to the atmosphere, but yeah - nothing worse than off key 'Galway Girl', except maybe a bad version of fairytale of ny!:p

Speaking of those two songs, maybe the surprise guests would be Shane Mc Gowan and his band!!!?;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone seen the Garda monitoring van/mobile unit in the Spanish Arch today, only saw it briefly.
    What exactly does it do & its purpose?

inisboffin wrote: »
    Speaking of those two songs, maybe the surprise guests would be Shane Mc Gowan and his band!!!?;)

Hopefully instead of Ass-lan!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone seen the Garda monitoring van/mobile unit in the Spanish Arch today, only saw it briefly.
    What exactly does it do & its purpose?

:o will it make difference?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

mars bar wrote: »
    What day is the surprise guest meant to be playing?

Well if we knew that it wouldn't be a surprise, would it...? :p

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »

Surprise guest? Not surprise day?!

If people don't know what day the surprise guest shows up, then how do they find out who surprise guest is?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Zzippy wrote: »
    i love suprises :pac:
    mars bar wrote: »
    Surprise guest? Not surprise day?!

If people don't know what day the surprise guest shows up, then how do they find out who surprise guest is?!

id advise moving into one of the portaloos :eek:
    for the week just to be sure like ...

It'll be Mundy making a surprise appearance on stage with Sharon Shannon on Saturday night... :rolleyes:

gary82 wrote: »
    It'll be Mundy making a surprise appearance on stage with Sharon Shannon on Saturday night... :rolleyes:

:eek:

I was thinking he might be because he is around town anyway...

Meh.

Ya hardy thought the festival was free did you? We'll be charged at least one rendition of Galway Girl...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Perhaps it's Nena, special guest of the GAAW.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Ya hardy thought the festival was free did you? We'll be charged at least one rendition of Galway Girl...

Nothing is worth that.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Nothing is worth that.

Ya love it really :D

• Advertisement

Saw the Galway Girl herself tonight, boogieing at the HHF :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement