Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Stunning rocked :) left just as 'Brewing' came on.
    Had to catch the last of the music at BK's...and get a glass of vino in! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

I hear that the Galway leg of the Volvo Ocean Race will be the biggest event ever to hit Galway, even Ireland.
    Apparently every hotel for miles will be booked.
    What is so special about it that makes it this big.?
    Looking back :
    - it was the biggest event ever staged in Galway.
    - not all accommodation was taken. Lots of day trippers.

It will be a long time before we see the likes of it again in Galway.
    Bon Voyage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

What time is the departure ceremony today?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Yes the Stunning were excellent last night ... great songs and great live ... well worth hanging around town for them ... I had to laugh at the Sailor suits though ... Maybe they have Jobs selling ice cream during the day ;)

Just home from another amazing day, this time kinda emotional , sad to see the race leave, my dream would be to see the existing docklands become a permanent marina with the new larger docks built as soon as possible. Great sense of pride on how spectacular the 2 weeks were. Massive thank you to all the people involved, some of whom have put years into organising the event here.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

It's ooooooooooooover:(

It's oooooooooooooooooooooover:(

Bloody class two weeks though....Fair play to all involved!!!

LETS DO IT 2012:D

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

the stunning were unreal! :D

Volvo race was immense, good job by everyone involved, hopefully it put Galway on the map a bit more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 D Warrior

It was a great send off today. Funny how the rain started as soon as they left the docks!

No sign of U2's rumored surprise appearance. Does anyone know if they are really in Galway? I have only heard rumors but no confirmed sightings...

D Warrior wrote: »
    It was a great send off today. Funny how the rain started as soon as they left the docks!

No sign of U2's rumored surprise appearance. Does anyone know if they are really in Galway? I have only heard rumors but no confirmed sightings...

aparently they were in the VIP tent for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

.. I miss the Yellow Digger, wheres the digger gone??

What are we going to do without the yella digger... the hottest meeting spot in Galway for the last 2 weeks...errect a yella/golden digger there! Please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

I can't believe its over.... So sad, the best weeks I've ever had in Galway!

Well done to EVERYONE involved, we really pulled it off!

To those who took photos, thank you!

Everything was A1!

I'm really impressed by the people of Galway these last 2 weeks and am a very proud Galwegian.....!

LETS DO IT GALWAY 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Galway can be seriously proud of itself for the rip-roaring success of the last two weeks. Congratulations to everyone involved in organising the event, it was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

For what it's worth I heard a rumour from a Friend that they were staying in the G Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

The whole thing was a complete success.

I had tears in my eyes as I watched the boats leave Galway Bay.

Come back!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

No offence to anybody but I reckon that was all they were ... rumours :rolleyes:

If they were in the VIP tent they definitely would of been spotted and we'd all of known about it by now.

But my friend's brother's grilfriend's mother knows a guy in Dublin who cleans bono's glasses and he said they were heading to Galway this w-end :P ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

What a great 2 weeks, what a great time Galway will remember. Congrats to everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Gonna be honest, I was full sure this would be a complete and utter flop in the days coming up to the start but, my god, was I ever proved wrong. I cannot imagine anything in Galway ever living up to the outrageous atmosphere and buzz that was the last two weeks. The buzz down the docks was as good as any Euro festival and the pub and street acts weren't far behind.
    It was just a truly amazing few weeks that I honestly can't see happening again. Really showed up race week for the loutish and messy behaviour that it is.
    I'm very proud of this city right now, especially considering the other international ports we've held our owin against.
    Once again, I loved these past two weeks. Great relaxed family atmosphere during the day and excellent night-life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Gonna be honest, I was full sure this would be a complete and utter flop in the days coming up to the start but, my god, was I ever proved wrong.
    Exactly what I thought, even though I may not have said it to anyone. The tanks still being there with only weeks to go till the race arrived made me believe that we would be a laughing stock in boating circles and ridiculed in the press...
    I'm very proud of this city right now, especially considering the other international ports we've held our own against.
    I couldn't be more proud either, but it's a lie that we held our own to be honest. We blew every other port out of the water, so to speak... The sheer numbers that decended upon the docks and the surrounding areas was ridiculous, far surpassing those of huge cities that hosted the Ocean Race.

Just watched TG4's VOR special at 6 , amazing, even nostalgic at this stage:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭magicface

What a great 2 weeks I have to admit that before the stopover begun I taught it was over hyped etc... but not I am so proud of this place!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mixupat

Volvo Ocean Race Pix.ie photo competion has hot 13600 photos which has gone way over the record of 10k photos for an event in Ireland and the number is growing quickly. I spent 9 nights of the 2 weeks in Galway. Best event i've ever attended. Didnt expect anything from it so it made it all the better...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

And to top it all off, for anyone interested in the actual race itself, Green Dragon are going great guns so far, they were first past the Fastnet, lost some ground by going south towards France, but picked it up again when they got the better conditions on that side of the channel, took the lead and held it overnight.
    Currently running in second place behind Telefonica Black who had followed them south and got some slightly better conditions on there route to take the lead this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

thought it was the most amazing event! two weeks of diversion and fun! well done to all involved for getting things together and putting on such a superb show. Galway was truly magnificent. When the Green Dragon pulled away it was very emotional as was the President's speech. Shame the flyover didnt seem to go to plan from the docks at any rate. But really brilliant time, just so proud of what can be achieved in this City by people working for the wider benefit of us all! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

What an amazing event this was - surely not something you see everyday. Two great weeks, I'm sad it's over.
    Watching the boats leave on Saturday brought a little tear to my eye...
    Congratulations and a big THANK YOU to everyone involved, you did a great great job.

Virtually all the tents are gone now, puma shop, dome, volvo cars are all gone, potoons are coming up, feck all boats in the harbour, sooooo depresing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

The dome and all that goes with it is on the way to Stockholm now. They have 2 of pretty much everything in the race village the boston ones are being set-up in Marstrand. Have to say I'm sorry to see it go, despite the fact that I was working at it for most of it I still really enjoyed it, the free concerts and all that went with the race village, the red-arrows and all the rest made it an absolutely epic 2 weeks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I think the weather helped a lot. Will be a while before the next Ocean Race comes calling alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Gonna be honest, I was full sure this would be a complete and utter flop in the days coming up to the start but, my god, was I ever proved wrong. I cannot imagine anything in Galway ever living up to the outrageous atmosphere and buzz that was the last two weeks. The buzz down the docks was as good as any Euro festival and the pub and street acts weren't far behind.
    It was just a truly amazing few weeks that I honestly can't see happening again. Really showed up race week for the loutish and messy behaviour that it is.
    I'm very proud of this city right now, especially considering the other international ports we've held our owin against.
    Once again, I loved these past two weeks. Great relaxed family atmosphere during the day and excellent night-life.

Pretty much the same sentiments.

Fair play to the organisers, security, the Guards, the numerous volunteers, the people who had the vision to make this happen, the boats, the people who enjoyed themselves and lets hope the race comes back to us again.
    The boats seem to have brought the sunshine here and seem to have brough it back with them :(.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭schoolbag2

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    Virtually all the tents are gone now, puma shop, dome, volvo cars are all gone, potoons are coming up, feck all boats in the harbour, sooooo depresing :(

Any pics?

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

schoolbag2 wrote: »
    Any pics?

Thanks,

Nooooo it would be too depressing to look at :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement