Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

kerry4sam wrote: »
    The only difference Killarney will see over the coming years will be more and more of the smaller shops closing down, unfortunately.

Came to work through the Outlet Centre an noticed that Brian de Staic has closed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Maybe about time this was stickied,heres looking at you 440Hz....;)

A Killarney sticky thread is long-overdue in opinion ... What more is required for it to be stickied :confused:

johnnyc wrote: »
    best advertisment for that shop

yeah it's a tad like damned if you do & damned if you don't :confused:

- If they do this page-spread in a free localised magazine then it will generate interest & ultimatly possibly business.

- If they don't mention the shop or the comments then it could be said to be shown to be bias.

newman10 wrote: »
    Came to work through the Outlet Centre an noticed that Brian de Staic has closed

They were always really quiet, business-wise in there, but then again so are most of the shops in there, unfortunately.

I was asked there recently what's actually in the Outlet Centre & all I could think of was "empty space". I feel sorry for the people whose houses over-look the outlet centre being honest - Their view(scenic) was taken & they were given nothing but an eye-soar that never generated the business it promised when being built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I feel sorry for the people whose houses over-look the outlet centre being honest - Their view(scenic) was taken & they were given nothing but an eye-soar that never generated the business it promised when being built.

Prior to the outlet centre there was the bus park, which was in a pretty poor condition - I don't think those living nearby were affected all that much, if at all, in terms of the scenic views by the construction of the outlet centre.

Also I don't think the Outlet Centre is the worst eye-soar by any means.
    Ok it's not especially pleasing on the eyes but compare it with the development out by the Tralee round-about
    The people reponsible for this development should be shot.
    The only small comfort is that fact that it's not doing that well.

• Advertisement

A Killarney sticky thread is long-overdue in opinion ... What more is required for it to be stickied :confused:

Have to agree :)

Cant agree with that because it is still a draw for people into Town.

Nike, Pavers , Mods and Minis and a few more are ok. Have got some good deals in the DVD shop but some need a radical overhaul

Jean Scene stuff is total C**P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Cant agree with that because it is still a draw for people into Town.

Nike, Pavers , Mods and Minis and a few more are ok. Have got some good deals in the DVD shop but some need a radical overhaul

Jean Scene stuff is total C**P

Was talking about the development out by the Tralee roundabout not doing well not the Outlet centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Send 440hz nice words of encouragement....and a box of roses..:)

Send 440hz nice words of encouragement....and a box of roses..:)

you suggesting a lickle bribery? :eek: :D

• Advertisement

you suggesting a lickle bribery? :eek: :D
    Never*Cough* Just a little em..reward to 440 for all the good work she has done on here...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Never*Cough* Just a little em..reward to 440 for all the good work she has done on here...:p

Speaking of her.... where is she?
    Seems to have completly vanished.
    And yeah. Killarney thread to defo be stickied at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

Prior to the outlet centre there was the bus park, which was in a pretty poor condition - I don't think those living nearby were affected all that much, if at all, in terms of the scenic views by the construction of the outlet centre.

Also I don't think the Outlet Centre is the worst eye-soar by any means.
    Ok it's not especially pleasing on the eyes but compare it with the development out by the Tralee round-about
    The people reponsible for this development should be shot.
    i will agree with you that it is indeed an eyesore but it went through all the planning process so its a tad late to be giving outabout it now....i cannot agree with you that its good to see its not doing to well because the better it does the more jobs there will be there and then maybe it can make up for being such an eyesore ...just a thought

The centre at the roundabout was to have Kerry Co Co offices ,a chemist shop and a hairdressers but all of these are casualties of recession/cutbacks.

Maybe it would be a good location for a DVD shop but I would say that passing trade is way down

It is suprising that many of the units have sold on them but nobody seem to know who owns them or is it a marketing ploy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

or is it a marketing ploy.
    along the lines of "only 1 unit in this exclusive development remaining"

Maybe she is quiet in here because we are all just so good like, no slap on the wrist has been required in here with a while now :cool:

Killarney Sticky Thread - 440hz, can we have some sign that it's even being considered? Their is regular flow on this thread and we do support one another on here; we all respect each others' thoughts & opinions and we do have a good healthy debate in this Killarney thread.

The centre at the roundabout was to have Kerry Co Co offices ,a chemist shop and a hairdressers but all of these are casualties of recession/cutbacks.

Maybe it would be a good location for a DVD shop but I would say that passing trade is way down

It is suprising that many of the units have sold on them but nobody seem to know who owns them or is it a marketing ploy.

i think one of the units has planning for a bank/post office/credit union originally although now that i think of it, Boyle Sports are in there and bookies do not need different planning from financial institutions

also, i have heard tourists refer to it in directions as "the petrol station with grass on the roof" :D

Not many towns can tell people to take the right/left at the roundabout with fish-heads in the middle of it and the petrol-station with the grass on the roof :D

i was away over the bank holiday weekend, was there any trouble with the rally crowd

seemed to be a lot less people around on friday afternoon when i was leaving
    plenty of donuts on the road though when i came back though :rolleyes:

dmeehan wrote: »
    i was away over the bank holiday weekend, was there any trouble with the rally crowd

seemed to be a lot less people around on friday afternoon when i was leaving
    plenty of donuts on the road though when i came back though :rolleyes:

It was quiet compared to previous years but if I were to post my true honest thoughts on the week-end just gone I would get banned!

I'll just say that the vast majority were okay being honest.

This is from radiokerry: "05 May 2009
    Vehicles seized during Rally of the Lakes

Forty-five vehicles were seized during the Rally of the Lakes in Killarney, over the bank holiday weekend. They were seized for a variety of offences including failure to display valid tax, insurance or NCT certs. Six people were arrested for drink driving while fourteen were arrested for public order offences. Gardai are also investigating a number of serious assaults in relation to which three people were arrested. Meanwhile, Killarney Chamber of Commerce and Tourism continues its call for the Rally of the Lakes to be staged on a different weekend to the May Bank Holiday. Jerry O'Grady, Executive of Killarney Chamber insists it's not anti-rally. "

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, Killarney Chamber of Commerce and Tourism continues its call for the Rally of the Lakes to be staged on a different weekend to the May Bank Holiday. Jerry O'Grady, Executive of Killarney Chamber insists it's not anti-rally. "

Have to say I would agree with him, make it the 2nd or 3rd weekend in May. The Rally really f###s up a Bank Holiday

Wow. 45. thats a crazy number.
    Ah yeah i heard there was some, well just utterly stupid carry on by certain people over the weekend. Maybe moving it from the May bank holiday wouldnt be the worst idea. I thought there was a vintage rally always on at the May bank holiday weekend also.Or has that stopped since the Brehon was built?

Well Killarney may not have anything to worry about next year when it comes to the Rally of the Lakes. I've heard that the repairs etc were done in Millstreet, Cork this year and Cork were looking to put in a very strong bid for to hold the Rally next year & just re-name it :eek:.

Being honest with you all when everything good/bad & indifferent is weighed up about the Rally -v- compared to no-Rally in Killarney, I think we should fight hard to hold onto it! It did bring in some savage business to the town over the week-end & all the hotels & bb's would have severly struggled to fill last week-end only for the Rally.

Well Killarney may not have anything to worry about next year when it comes to the Rally of the Lakes. I've heard that the repairs etc were done in Millstreet, Cork this year and Cork were looking to put in a very strong bid for to hold the Rally next year & just re-name it :eek:.

Being honest with you all when everything good/bad & indifferent is weighed up about the Rally -v- compared to no-Rally in Killarney, I think we should fight hard to hold onto it! It did bring in some savage business to the town over the week-end & all the hotels & bb's would have severly struggled to fill last week-end only for the Rally.

From a business perspective i couldnt agree more. It really would be a shame to lose the rally. The best possible thing would just be to move the dates like newman said.

Agree the Rally has to be kept but as for the notion that it brought savage business to Town, Off Licence - Chippers - Petrol - Garda overtime:pac:

Many B & Bs had vacancy signs and the streets were not as busy as previous years.

As regards Rallying in Millstreet dont know if it is as good as the Caragh Lake to Beaufort Stage

Agree the Rally has to be kept but as for the notion that it brought savage business to Town, Off Licence - Chippers - Petrol - Garda overtime:pac:

Many B & Bs had vacancy signs and the streets were not as busy as previous years.

As regards Rallying in Millstreet dont know if it is as good as the Caragh Lake to Beaufort Stage

to be fair, to be fair Friday was quiet'ish but you were lucky to get a room Saturday though, but I'm sure basehunter helped that and it wasn't just down to the Rally. The b&b's apparently done better overall than some hotels though - it's all about pricing it right at the end of the day.

No I don't think it could be as good in Cork as that stage or any stage for that matter, but I am biased with it though!

I thought there was a vintage rally always on at the May bank holiday weekend also.Or has that stopped since the Brehon was built?
    That was the easter weekend,last year was the 25th nniversary and the last year of it,its now on in limerick junction.

That was the easter weekend,last year was the 25th nniversary and the last year of it,its now on in limerick junction.

ah man :(
    Have good memories of going alot when i was a kid with my dad. always perplexed me as to why people where showing off machinery that kinda did nothing :P

ah man :(
    Have good memories of going alot when i was a kid with my dad. always perplexed me as to why people where showing off machinery that kinda did nothing :P

Now we are bringing our kids and saying "do you remember.........." :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

re: sticky-ing.... all you had to do was drop a PM! I cannot read every single post in every thread so I didn't know you wanted this done. Done now. Next time... just ask :)

Advertisement