Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i must say since the golden circle got the buskers and the face painters moved from market cross we lost some of the atmosphere....were moving in the right direction but i honestly think we should pedestrianise one of the streets ...to help bring more fun to the streets...just a thought
    well the traders would never let that happen, sure how would their customers get to their shop if they couldn't drive to the front door?? :rolleyes:

it was bad enough when they made Main St 1 way or when its closed for 2 weekends for that stoopid "market"

traders: cop on to yourselves - have a look at other pedestrian streets like Grafton St and Henry St. in Dublin for example. from what i can see pedestrianisation brings MORE customers in

</end of rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I think it's just great that Killarney is returning to it's old bustling self again. It's been quite for such a long time but now, maybe it's the fine weather & the few days races but wow! just a nice atmosphere around Killarney these days :)

Wouldnt say that it is bustling, far from it it my opinion. Hotel bookings all down for the next 4 weeks and it is making me think about renewing my Lease. Only 6 months to go. Dont be under any illusion the town is creaking under the weight or recession, its that they wont admit it. :(

i must say since the golden circle got the buskers and the face painters moved from market cross we lost some of the atmosphere....were moving in the right direction but i honestly think we should pedestrianise one of the streets ...to help bring more fun to the streets...just a thought

Thought the were there last weekend :confused:

What street should be pedestrianised ?

newman10 wrote: »
    Thought the were there last weekend :confused:

Main St would be the obvious choice, or maybe Plunket St which was pedestrianised before during the summer a good while ago (why did they stop this actually??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

dmeehan wrote: »
    Main St would be the obvious choice, or maybe Plunket St which was pedestrianised before during the summer a good while ago (why did they stop this actually??)
    I would love to see new street closed for 3/4 months of the summer and have markets street arts ,,buskers......and general fun too help draw irish people back too tje town....the lack of irish familys round town for the last few years is blatent........the yanks are gone we need to rebrand and make the best of what we have ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

oeb wrote: »
    You know, we nearly have enough people floating around here now to arrange a killarney beers.

put faces to the names :eek: ooooooooh interesting :D

I would prefer to see Plunkett Street pedestrianised permanently & have the traffic turn off at the Glebe Carpark. I felt the town lost some atmosphere lastyear when the stalls were out on Main Street and it just made driving through the town awkward that ended up being back-logged on Mission Road then.
    I have nothing against the stalls or anything but surely Plunkett Street would serve the same benefits as Main :confused:. Anyone know if they are returning to the town this year?

I would prefer to see Plunkett Street pedestrianised permanently & have the traffic turn off at the Glebe Carpark. I felt the town lost some atmosphere lastyear when the stalls were out on Main Street and it just made driving through the town awkward that ended up being back-logged on Mission Road then.
    I have nothing against the stalls or anything but surely Plunkett Street would serve the same benefits as Main :confused:. Anyone know if they are returning to the town this year?

Dont have a problem with the stalls but one weekend would be enough and the quality of what was in the stall would need to be improved

On Break at the moment and am pretty upset.

Had a Rep call to me and he offered to get 2 takeaway coffes for us. He returned 5 min later having being charged €7.40 for the 2. :eek:

Now that is a RIP OFF and does not do the town any good :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Had a Rep call to me and he offered to get 2 takeaway coffes for us. He returned 5 min later having being charged €7.40 for the 2. :eek:

What was in them?Gold?

• Advertisement

What was in them?Gold?

Gold isnt that expensive

Can we name & shame here I wonder? I would like to know the name of this place

i went for an ice cream yesterday and doing my best to support local i said id go to macs ice cream......i wanted two cones so i ask the lady and she gets confused and gave me a double cone so i had to getanother to my horror she then asks me for 7,80 i nearly dropped ....back two mister whippy for me i think ,...i thought that was shocking:mad:who robbed you forthe coffees

i went for an ice cream yesterday and doing my best to support local i said id go to macs ice cream......i wanted two cones so i ask the lady and she gets confused and gave me a double cone so i had to getanother to my horror she then asks me for 7,80 i nearly dropped ....back two mister whippy for me i think ,...i thought that was shocking:mad:who robbed you forthe coffees

The other Ice Cream shop

@newman10 ... I just saw you message there over on the KerryGAA thread & I for one will be there for the opening on the 23rd of Denagh Lodge Tearooms at 2pm. Thanks for the heads up :)

@newman10 ... I just saw you message there over on the KerryGAA thread & I for one will be there for the opening on the 23rd of Denagh Lodge Tearooms at 2pm. Thanks for the heads up :)

Hi all, with ref to above The great Mick O'Connell will officially open Deenach Lodge Tearooms @ 2pm on Saturday 23rd.:)

As you may be aware from previous posts the Tearooms are run by Kerry Branch Down Syndrome Ireland so everyone is invited for a cup of coffee and meet Micko himself

where is/are Denagh Lodge Tearooms??

JUST inside the gate of the domaine across from cathedral its very nice there

JUST inside the gate of the domaine across from cathedral its very nice there

Brilliant on a fine day after a walk or visiting the playground. Sitting outside watching the world go by !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant on a fine day after a walk or visiting the playground. Sitting outside watching the world go by !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah right inside the Desemne, the little cottage. It really does break up a good walk/jog to sit down & relax a little or even grab a water/ice-cream to go.

• Advertisement

Yeah right inside the Desemne, the little cottage. It really does break up a good walk/jog to sit down & relax a little or even grab a water/ice-cream to go.
    AND it gives people with down syndrom a chance to show that they can make a genuine contribution to socitey......make sure to call..and tell a least ten other people to call there too..it can be your random act of kindness for the day......by the way dinis cottage is also very nice for tea and a scone...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Orna

Ross Castle looks like it has upgraded its shop to a tea room too !

Now if we could only get some Tourists and sunshine

Now if we could only get some Tourists and sunshine
    KILLARNEY needs to combat all the bad publicity about high prices then we might have a hope....my local is only 3.80 for stout and 4.00 for larger thats value going by todays prices....send out the message that killarney is family friendly then we might have a chance:cool:

KILLARNEY needs to combat all the bad publicity about high prices then we might have a hope....my local is only 3.80 for stout and 4.00 for larger thats value going by todays prices....send out the message that killarney is family friendly then we might have a chance:cool:

wheres your local?

I was in London for a weekend recently and the pubs in central london charge less than pubs in killarney - thats not value (for us, it is for londoners)

Was anyone else out in town last Saturday night? I thought it was fair rough and messy! I hope it wasn't a sign for the future Summer months.

I think it's just great that Killarney is returning to it's old bustling self again. It's been quite for such a long time but now, maybe it's the fine weather & the few days races but wow! just a nice atmosphere around Killarney these days :)

Had a cup of coffee with a good friend who is one of the small retailers in Town last night and he told me that he had made up his mind to close. :(

He has a few months left in his lease but he maintains that business in Town has just collapsed and he has burnt all the savings.

It is a shame but he will now become another statistic in this great recession

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Was anyone else out in town last Saturday night? I thought it was fair rough and messy! I hope it wasn't a sign for the future Summer months.

I ended up in Mcsorleys, I did not see a bit of trouble in the night club.

wheres your local?

I was in London for a weekend recently and the pubs in central london charge less than pubs in killarney - thats not value (for us, it is for londoners)
    i like pool and have started going to jades i used to play in stretford but it got fairly rough ..jades takes no messers at pool table and the pint is only 3.80.......takes a bit to get used to the place but its alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

wheres your local?

Always start the night in O Conors.
    And then go to Mcsorleys. Com eot think of it thats all ive done everytime ive gone out in Killarney for the last 2 years :P

Advertisement