Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

missannik wrote: »
    Firstly, cheers for the suggestions fellas. :) Do you have any info on windsurfing... ie. are there are companies that organise this? Thanks.

This reminds me of something. Does anyone remember when you used to be able to rent windsurfing equipment down in dundag? Whatever happened to that? (This was 20 odd years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

oeb wrote: »
    This reminds me of something. Does anyone remember when you used to be able to rent windsurfing equipment down in dundag? Whatever happened to that? (This was 20 odd years ago)

Dont know if the OPW would allow that now:(

BZP was banned yesterday..so most of his stuff is unsaleable now!!

Only herbal weed left!!

Walked up High St. this morning and the "head Shop" was painted and had an opening date on it.:D:P:D:P

Have a friend thinking of opening a Business in Town. Would anyone care to give an opinion on the Outlet Centre :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

newman10 wrote: »
    Have a friend thinking of opening a Business in Town. Would anyone care to give an opinion on the Outlet Centre :confused:

Upstairs in particular is badly supported. There are very few businesses up there, and green properties don't seem to be doing much about it (It has been pretty much empty upstairs for a long time). If he is opening a downstairs premises then you benifit from an awful lot of passing traffic, which is great, but I would advise against opening anything on the ghost town second level. (Unless it was a business that did not really need to rely on passing traffic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Do you mean lessons or rent equipment. AFAIK it is not possible. You would need your own equipment.

Jamie Knox in Castlegregory would hire equipment and give lessons

Thanks Newman. :) I don't have my own equipment, so I'll look into Jamie Knox.

She would be taking over a downstairs unit but is questioning if the footfall is still strong and is discounting the way to go at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

She would be taking over a downstairs unit but is questioning if the footfall is still strong and is discounting the way to go at the moment

Wow it's very difficult to advise on the outlet centre ... He will have to abide by the discounts and they are restricted to a 6pm closing even if the town is busy during the summer months, maybe 7pm closing latest!

Not alot of foot-traffic seem to pass through as often (even with the bus-station located on ground floor) as before but with the town now getting busier I would hope this would change.

I wish him well if he does venture in there. It could really do with a new lease of life in there.

What kind of store are we talking about?

Walked up High St. this morning and the "head Shop" was painted and had an opening date on it.:D:P:D:P

What is the opening date mentioned? Just what the town needs as the tourist season kicks in :rolleyes:

kerry4sam wrote: »
    What is the opening date mentioned? Just what the town needs as the tourist season kicks in :rolleyes:

May 1st just in time for the Petrol Heads who will be in Town. As if the place wont be mad enough :eek:

• Advertisement

oeb wrote: »

Gosh I remember during my teens when dundag was the place to go to once the slightest bit of sun made an appearance :pac:

May 1st just in time for the Petrol Heads who will be in Town. As if the place wont be mad enough :eek:

You know I don't know why but every year I think it can't be as bad as the previous and yet it does! I heard somewhere though that certain strings were tightened for this year and people will notice a remarkable difference around the county for both the Bank Holiday and rally week-end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

You know I don't know why but every year I think it can't be as bad as the previous and yet it does! I heard somewhere though that certain strings were tightened for this year and people will notice a remarkable difference around the county for both the Bank Holiday and rally week-end
    guys the rally weekend cant come fast enough for the town....when was there last any real trouble .........fair enough it can get a bit messy late at night but its like that every weekend..i think we should give the guards the credit they deserve for the job they do on this weekend.....also i have been told that the beyonce concert is not going ahead....killarney town center is in bad shape at the moment there is a lot of shops under pressure so i think we should be glad of any big crowds we get this year:o:o

No I for one don't agree with this Frankenfurter. I think the cottage has enough tables and chairs outside it. Have you see the trouble that surrounds the benches inside the golden-gates where the now CCTV cameras as located? They were recently put up for a very good reason. Their are plentiful supply for benches throughout the National Parks but what we need more of are bins imo.

I personally think it's rough to suggest the National Parks is the most under-used facility in Ireland. Take a stroll or a cycle any day/evening and you will see crowds of people at all aspects of the National Parks.
    kerry what i meant is why not do more there just inside the gates across from the cottage.......why not get a skate board park in there .....why not build a band stand in there .......why not put in facility's so families can go of a Sunday for a picnic.......why not put a running track around some so locals can do circuit training in there .......why not build a mountain bike circuit in there........why not allow someone rent water sports equipment in there ,,....as someone who walks there five or six days a week and see all the different things that could be done for kids teams adults senior citizens with little needed as regards money to do i t.where are all these benches you seem to think are there...there is not one single table in there......and why should everybody have to do without because of mindless thugs...go and look at the playground and see the joy to be had with a little bit of innovation:rolleyes:

kerry what i meant is why not do more there just inside the gates across from the cottage.......why not get a skate board park in there .....why not build a band stand in there .......why not put in facility's so families can go of a Sunday for a picnic.......why not put a running track around some so locals can do circuit training in there .......why not build a mountain bike circuit in there........why not allow someone rent water sports equipment in there ,,....as someone who walks there five or six days a week and see all the different things that could be done for kids teams adults senior citizens with little needed as regards money to do i t.where are all these benches you seem to think are there...there is not one single table in there......and why should everybody have to do without because of mindless thugs...go and look at the playground and see the joy to be had with a little bit of innovation:rolleyes:

re-read my post and you will see I said benches and never mentioned tables anywhere as they are not there! The benches are down around en route to the river walk and further on down toward the walk to RossCastle, even Muckross House, up past the turn-off to the KnockreerHouse out past the old farm ... plenty seating to be found. If the weather stays like it has been you will see most people opt to sit on their coats on the grass anyways just looking out at the views.

It's a National Parkland that imho would have it's beauty taken from it if a skateboard area were to be erected in there! God I am definitely against that idea.

The playground is fantastic and was well needed and was not before time either.

As for a band-stand: the town has speakers at the junction of MainStreet and PlunkettStreet that are only used on special occasions and should be used alot more. A band-stand down the desemne is just not necessary & would be an eye-soar imo and I'm failing to see who would actually utilise it if erected down there.

Liked the idea of a Skate Park but when the Town council were approached a few years ago it was turned down and it could have been built alongside the Leisure Centre.

I also like the Bandstand but I would place it in the grounds of Killarney House (McShanes) As a centre town location it is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

J90 will be playing in the Grand Tuesday, can anyone tell me do they draw much of a crowd in I wonder? I have yet to go in and see them

They always do....its was busy :)

Usually J90 Monday and Deuces Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

I also like the Bandstand but I would place it in the grounds of Killarney House (McShanes) As a centre town location it is excellent
    it would be a great idea, especially during the sumemrfest
    only problem is its not really a town centre location as it is behind gates and an 8ft high wall

<sidebar>whose brilliant idea was it to build a big fecking wall around the national park along the inner relief road, its like the berlin wall ffs. even half height with a wall and the rest with railings, so at least tourists can SEE the amenity that is behind it</sidebar>

dmeehan wrote: »
    ...<sidebar>whose brilliant idea was it to build a big fecking wall around the national park along the inner relief road, its like the berlin wall ffs. even half height with a wall and the rest with railings, so at least tourists can SEE the amenity that is behind it</sidebar>

I completely agree with this point. Their is a gate almost at the junction but even that's locked tight. I saw some tourists this morning trying to open it as I was joggin past - makes no sense having it that high...especially with the sheer beauty behind it.

re-read my post and you will see I said benches and never mentioned tables anywhere as they are not there! The benches are down around en route to the river walk and further on down toward the walk to RossCastle, even Muckross House, up past the turn-off to the KnockreerHouse out past the old farm ... plenty seating to be found. If the weather stays like it has been you will see most people opt to sit on their coats on the grass anyways just looking out at the views.

It's a National Parkland that imho would have it's beauty taken from it if a skateboard area were to be erected in there! God I am definitely against that idea.

The playground is fantastic and was well needed and was not before time either.

As for a band-stand: the town has speakers at the junction of MainStreet and PlunkettStreet that are only used on special occasions and should be used alot more. A band-stand down the desemne is just not necessary & would be an eye-soar imo and I'm failing to see who would actually utilise it if erected down there.
    THE benches i would like to see are just inside where an adult can sit and watch kids run of there energy not have to walk all the way in a sit in fear while kids run along the river bank.......and surely people can expect a table if the would like to have a picnic they are in almost every other national parkland ive been in......dont get me wrong i love the park its just there's some much of it there and it is simply not being used enough by local people.......and surely u don't compare poxy tannoy music over the music you could have maybe on a nice sunny sunday why not have a local band ie gleneagle playing in the back round for an hour ...i dont mean electric guitars etc

• Advertisement

It is great to see a discussion about the Town but it is a pity that more people are not getting involved even the other Kerry Board users who visit the town on the odd weekend

Yeah Newman that's what I'm thinking alright when you think of the numbers visiting the town. In saying that though the people who start threads here in the the Kerry forum always seem to return with the feedback, but this Killarney thread does need more input and opinions.

Was their anyone else listening to RadioKerry this morning to Donal Grady talking about the Garda numbers in Killarney?

He got his point across well but I think their were certain aspects I don't believe he should have highlighted, for fear of hoax calls taking Gardaì too far out of the town and leaving certain other areas then exposed but he obviously thought he was doing well. I'm just not seeing how highlighting it is actually going to help anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pharrell

Right so, if you could add anything to make Killarney a bit more fun and exciting for locals and Tourists alike, what would you have in the town?

I would have a bowling Alley (Like the LeisurePlexs up in Dublin) and go-Karting. These are things kids, teenagers and Adults alike can do.

Pharrell wrote: »
    I would have a bowling Alley (Like the LeisurePlexs up in Dublin) and go-Karting. These are things kids, teenagers and Adults alike can do.

The bowling Alley is something that was missed out on when one considers that it is owned by the people own Buddies.

Can the Town not generate enough business outside the Tourist season or have we been condemed as a Tourist town with high rents :confused:

When the tourists aren't travelling you could almost see tumble-weeds rolling through Killarney as it gets soooo quiet. Something like mentioned above could be what's needed to have people travelling here out of peak-times aswell as peak.

I didn't know it was the same company as owns Buddies - they found a great opening and ran with it successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

There's around eight of us heading to Killarney for the May bank holiday. Do the restaurants take bookings for that weekend having regard to the fact that the Rally of the Lakes is taking place on the same weekend? Also, any suggestions for places to eat. We'd be happy with about 35E to 40 per head for three course meal.

egan2020 wrote: »
    There's around eight of us heading to Killarney for the May bank holiday. Do the restaurants take bookings for that weekend having regard to the fact that the Rally of the Lakes is taking place on the same weekend? Also, any suggestions for places to eat. We'd be happy with about 35E to 40 per head for three course meal.

Dont know if they would take a booking but Paddys Restaurant or Macs in Main St should be within that price.

If Stone Chat has reopened it is well within your price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Thanks Newman. Their menu looks pretty good. I'll give them a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Hi guys - hard to believe its been nearly 12 months since I posted on Kerry boards my disgust at the state of the car parks around Ross castle after rally last year.

I can't remember if it was Sunday morning or Monday morning of last May weekend, we went to visit this area last May weekend and what we saw was a disgrace.

Bottles,cans,sleeping bags/blankets, chip cartons, pizza boxes,and broken glass strewn all over car parks - you get the picture ?

What I considered to be a disgrace when we arrived later turned into being an embarrassment when I saw tourists coming off coaches taking pictures of the mess. :o

At the time, if I had a brush and a few black bags in the car I would have actually started to try and clean the place a little, but as hubby said it would have been more of a job for a jcb and a couple of skips.

I suppose it will be the same way this year - except I won't be around, going to west Cork this year. Hope the weather is good.

Advertisement