Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

thanks lads. got some cheap stuff in mr.price.

Not sure how good itll be. Might get a look in The Works this evenbing.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Is there some trade fair going on in the racecourse tomorrow, alown with machinery,

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Farm Marcinery Trade shoe
    Free enterance

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DannoA1

Anyone know a good 'go to' person or contact in the Glenflesk area for family history or general historical matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

DannoA1 wrote: »
    Anyone know a good 'go to' person or contact in the Glenflesk area for family history or general historical matters?

O Briens petrol station opposite the church. If they don't know something about the area it's not worth knowing. The man's name escapes me now, might be Jimmy, I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

pm'ed you.

In fact if any of you want any family history researched let me know. My brother in law is mad in to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

dobman88 wrote: »

O Briens petrol station opposite the church. If they don't know something about the area it's not worth knowing. The man's name escapes me now, might be Jimmy, I'm not sure.

Dennis I'm sure.

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    Dennis I'm sure.

Lol. I just came here to post that as I just remembered it. Yes you are correct. It's Denis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DannoA1

Thanks to all of ye. I shall certainly make Denis O'Brien my first port of call. The context to all this is that I'm doing research for an O'Connor fellow in Australia whose grandfather Michael O'Connor emigrated c1885 from the townland of Crohane a couple of miles south of Glenflesk. The O'Connor farm bordered the neighbouring townland of Direencullig. The fellow in Australia is keen to know whether he still has any relatives in this part of Kerry.

I am a family history historian myself but have got about as far as I can with the desktop/computer research. I plan to take a trip down to that part of the world within the next couple of weeks to see what I can I find out on the ground. Hence the request for a good local contact. If anyone can go one further and suggest a contact around Crohane specifically I'd be even more grateful.

Incidentally there were still O'Connors (Patrick and family) at the homeplace until at least 1911. After that ....? According to the current phone directory anyway there are no longer O'Connors in that part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ronald reagan

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a reputable boarding kennel in kerry for late july?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a reputable boarding kennel in kerry for late july?

Beaufort boarding kennels. Friend of mine uses them anytime he has to travel

064-6644468

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Are the Port Road works finished yet? ran into heavy traffic going west on the bypass at around quarter to 7 yesterday evening and wondered if might have been one of the reasons why.

Doing Darkness into Light on Saturday. 1st time doing the Killarney one. Any advice on best place to park?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Where is nice for breakfast in the town centre? Not for the darkness into light, it would be later in the morning. Have to pick up something in the morning & we were thinking of just having breakfast there. Thanks.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Where is nice for breakfast in the town centre? Not for the darkness into light, it would be later in the morning. Have to pick up something in the morning & we were thinking of just having breakfast there. Thanks.

Salvadors do a breakfast that you won't eat for the day after it. Every time I'm home I go there and since I booked a bnb for the June bank holiday I've been looking forward to it.

There's a place across the road too that I can't think of the name now, next to corkerys pub but it's more of a cup of tea slice of cake type spot, been years since I had breakfast there.

Other than that, probably Macs on main street or Der o sullivans, also on main street but I don't know opening times.

Go to Salvadors, you won't regret it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Salvadors do a breakfast that you won't eat for the day after it. Every time I'm home I go there and since I booked a bnb for the June bank holiday I've been looking forward to it.

There's a place across the road too that I can't think of the name now, next to corkerys pub but it's more of a cup of tea slice of cake type spot, been years since I had breakfast there.

Other than that, probably Macs on main street or Der o sullivans, also on main street but I don't know opening times.

Where is Salvadors near to? I haven’t heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Where is Salvadors near to? I haven’t heard of it before.

It's near Penney's on High Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Sceal eile - dobman man?

Sceal eile - dobman man?

That's the wan. Remember stumbling in there very hungover a few years ago and got a lovely fry.

Thanks

Not sure if it's allowed to post go fund me links but Ian O Connell from Pinewood in Killarney who played football for Spa was in a bad accident last year, paralysed from the shoulders down and he was on the late late tonight. He spoke fantastically well in what must be horrendous circumstances for a young lad of 16. Definitely a worthy cause.

https://ie.gofundme.com/ian-oconnell-fund

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip. Will have to do it another time unfortunately. We have a sick baby in the house today, so have to stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Scotts bar early, tends to get mobbed and loud late. The Killarney Avenue hotel bar is nice

Back in my wild days .....we always went to Killarney avenue for a few quiet drinks before going into town or go into there in week after work . lovely bar ..... Haven't been there for years now ..eeerrrr haven't been in a pub in years.. , all grown up, kids, married, dogs , mortgage ....how did things get so straight.

Races on this evening again so be mindful of traffic.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Races on this evening again so be mindful of traffic.

And also road works going on in Faranfore - that should be fun:eek:.

Sad to see that Horan's greengrocer shop in Tesco parking lot has ceased trading.

Sad to see that Horan's greengrocer shop in Tesco parking lot has ceased trading.

Think that one will be still open but they've closed the Tralee shop?

Think that one will be still open but they've closed the Tralee shop?

No the Tralee shop is still open as far as I know.
    The Killarney shop has closed - there is a notice of its closing on the doors, which are locked.

No the Tralee shop is still open as far as I know.
    The Killarney shop has closed - there is a notice of its closing on the doors, which are locked.

Ah, I literally got it backwards so lol. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Which one is that ? The one next to quinlans fish ?

• Advertisement

Which one is that ? The one next to quinlans fish ?

No. Down at the back of the innisfallen mall, near the K Town pub and across from the tourist office

Advertisement