Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Lads I have being rewatching the Wire again, its too brillant for words.
    Vladimir Kozlov is in it as well:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

No wrestling talk! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Dominic West is playing Cromwell in a new Channel 4 four-part drama. I bet ya it gives his performance as McNulty a run for its' money.:pac:

Have you ever heard West's original accent, he is really really posh! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Have you ever heard West's original accent, he is really really posh! :eek:

I know, the first time I heard it was in some brutal film with Sandra Bullock.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

I know, the first time I heard it was in some brutal film with Sandra Bullock.:pac:

He has an Irish connection too; he went to Trinity. Studied English, I think.

He has an Irish connection too; he went to Trinity. Studied English, I think.

Yep you're right, I read an interview with him in Herald AM and I think he said that his mother was Irish. I think he has some potential, he was excellent in The Wire and did himself justice in 300. Maybe his portrayal of Cromwell will show us what he's made of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Anyone else thick enough to buy Chinese Democracy then?

Gerard.C wrote: »

Meh. "The Ticket", the magazine with The Irish Times every Friday, gave it 3 stars out of five; something underwhelming about that when it's took 15 years to create.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Gerard.C wrote: »

Cos bitching about the album in R&M wasn't enough then?
    I actually enjoyed it, didn't buy it yet. Got the leak as i'd heard several demos and cleaned up live performances over the years. Made my mind up about the album in 2006 when i couldn't wait. It had been put back so many bloody times since 06 that i couldn't actually believe it when i saw the leak.

Is it a masterpiece? Not by any means, but it beats the crap out of that abortion of an album Metallica issued out two months ago!

Meh. "The Ticket", the magazine with The Irish Times every Friday, gave it 3 stars out of five; something underwhelming about that when it's took 15 years to create.:pac:

I know i'm gonna sound like a GNR fanboy here, so here goes.
    The gimp who wrote that article was probably about 18 years old only starting college, is in it because it's a job and probably doesn't like music.

Music Journalism is the one industry where fans go where they learn to hate music within 18 months. I rarely read interviews from rags anymore. Fan forums work for me, y'know, people who actually look forward to albums coming out?

And it was 13 years, with 8 of those years going into production. Definitely not a guinness world record though. I do know there are albums that took longer to produce. If only i could think of which one it was though!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I do know there are albums that took longer to produce. If only i could think of which one it was though!! :mad:

SMiLE?

In a way :pac:

• Advertisement

Thanks dude, exactly the one I was thinking about. :)
    What was it, 36 years from inception to completion or something?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Thanks dude, exactly the one I was thinking about. :)
    What was it, 36 years from inception to completion or something?!

37, and a lot better than Chinese Democracy!

Fozzy wrote: »
    37, and a lot better than Chinese Democracy!

Ah but he had over twice the amount of time to produce the album! :pac:

I know i'm gonna sound like a GNR fanboy here, so here goes.
    The gimp who wrote that article was probably about 18 years old only starting college, is in it because it's a job and probably doesn't like music.

Music Journalism is the one industry where fans go where they learn to hate music within 18 months. I rarely read interviews from rags anymore. Fan forums work for me, y'know, people who actually look forward to albums coming out?

And it was 13 years, with 8 of those years going into production. Definitely not a guinness world record though. I do know there are albums that took longer to produce. If only i could think of which one it was though!! :mad:

The Irish Times isn't a rag.:p:pac:

But I know what you mean, music journalism pisses me off at times (well al rag journalism does but that's another story). Initially I read nothing but rave reviews for Oasis's latest album. Then one reviewer comes along, says it's a rip off of The Beatles, and then from there all the reviews go downhill (and the same reason is given).:rolleyes:

I do like GNR (the product of constant arguments between my mates in class on who's better, Slash or Buckethead?), so I will reserve judgement until I get my hands on the album.

The Irish Times isn't a rag.:p:pac:

The Ticket section definitely is! It reminds me of Alan Corr's horrible music reviews that he used to do for the RTE Guide in the early to mid 90s. Mostly based on what he obviously didn't listen to!
    But I know what you mean, music journalism pisses me off at times (well al rag journalism does but that's another story). Initially I read nothing but rave reviews for Oasis's latest album. Then one reviewer comes along, says it's a rip off of The Beatles, and then from there all the reviews go downhill (and the same reason is given).:rolleyes:

Nothing they're not used to in fairness. I'm no Oasis fan but i will give them their dues to what they contributed to the British music scene from 1993-1996. But i think they needed to let it drop there as Oasis have done f*ck all to note in 12 years.
    I do like GNR (the product of constant arguments between my mates in class on who's better, Slash or Buckethead?), so I will reserve judgement until I get my hands on the album.

Easier comparison, listen to Velvet Revolver's Libertad, and GNR's Chinese Democracy, both of which are sub par albums in the eyes of "wannabe know-it-alls". Slash loses by a mile in that competition. But at least it's a fair competition as their guitar work is up to date on said albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

but it beats the crap out of that abortion of an album Metallica issued out two months ago!

Controversial.:pac:
    Personally I like Death Magnetic.Is it as good as their first 3 albums?,no but I think its as good as And Justice and the "Black" album and certainly a hell of alot better than Load,reload and St Anger.
    As for GnR,meh will borrow someones copy and stick it on me Ipod.If it sucks ass who cares,i wont have paid for it.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Controversial.:pac:

Nah, just an honest opinion.
    Personally I like Death Magnetic.Is it as good as their first 3 albums?,no but I think its as good as And Justice and the "Black" album and certainly a hell of alot better than Load,reload and St Anger.

I've done this particular subject to death in R&M. In short, if Metallica had taken their heads out of their asses five years ago, we'd have gotten Death Magnetic back in 2003 under the name of St Anger. Christ knows what garbage would have spewed out this year as a result though. It's horses for courses.
    As for GnR,meh will borrow someones copy and stick it on me Ipod.If it sucks ass who cares,i wont have paid for it.

As i've said before, as long as you don't go in expecting Use Your Illusion III, you'll probably enjoy it. It sounds pretty well put together for a band that haven't released anything commercial since 1999, and even that was only for a soundtrack, and a pretty abysmal one at that.

Nothing they're not used to in fairness. I'm no Oasis fan but i will give them their dues to what they contributed to the British music scene from 1993-1996. But i think they needed to let it drop there as Oasis have done f*ck all to note in 12 years.

Yeah, I'll have to concede that and say it is time to call it a day. I wouldn't mind seeing Noel venturing into the solo arena though.

Easier comparison, listen to Velvet Revolver's Libertad, and GNR's Chinese Democracy, both of which are sub par albums in the eyes of "wannabe know-it-alls". Slash loses by a mile in that competition. But at least it's a fair competition as their guitar work is up to date on said albums.

Too bad Rick Rubin didn't turn out to be the producer on Libertad, he's the man with the golden touch; Johnny Cash and Metallica enjoyed resurgences under his helm.

Yeah, I'll have to concede that and say it is time to call it a day. I wouldn't mind seeing Noel venturing into the solo arena though.

Noel has proved on several occasions that he doesn't need Liam, Liam on the other hand can't say the same.

Too bad Rick Rubin didn't turn out to be the producer on Libertad, he's the man with the golden touch; Johnny Cash and Metallica enjoyed resurgences under his helm.

Rubin unfortunately is not a miracle worker either. He has produced a top album for the Cult, but he's also produced some dead in the water stuff for them too. Same with Slayer, he's produced top notch albums with Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven and Seasons In The Abyss but Divine Intervention and Diabolus in Musica were utter abortions!

On a side note, i credit more Trent Reznor for Johnny Cash's resurgance than i do Rick Rubin in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Been a while since I have been here.... We have an off topic thread now :D

• Advertisement

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Been a while since I have been here.... We have an off topic thread now :D

He notices the OTB thread, but doesn't notice the 2 new mods.
    Yeah, the new head honchos felt it was better to keep the muppetry in a controlled enviornment. Something a lot of the posters had a tendency to agree with. :)

Noel has proved on several occasions that he doesn't need Liam, Liam on the other hand can't say the same.

Noel definitely has at the least an acoustic album in him. Liam on the other hand lost his edge a long time ago. His vocals just grate on me now.

Rubin unfortunately is not a miracle worker either. He has produced a top album for the Cult, but he's also produced some dead in the water stuff for them too. Same with Slayer, he's produced top notch albums with Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven and Seasons In The Abyss but Divine Intervention and Diabolus in Musica were utter abortions!

On a side note, i credit more Trent Reznor for Johnny Cash's resurgance than i do Rick Rubin in fairness.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Oh look we have 2 new mods :D.

Noel definitely has at the least an acoustic album in him. Liam on the other hand lost his edge a long time ago. His vocals just grate on me now.

How so?

Hurt.

Hurt.

Thank you, That's a NIN song covered by Cash, not the other way around. Nobody had heard of Cash for about 12 years (when he collaborated with U2 on The Wanderer for Zooropa) prior to that. He was still around, but not in any major significant way.

Until he covered Hurt.

but Divine Intervention and Diabolus in Musica were utter abortions!

Have to disagree on Divine Intervention.Its arguably my favourite album of theirs to date.IMO,it takes the best bits of Reign in Blood(which does sound a little dated nowadays,to me anyway ;))and the best bits of Seasons in the Abyss/South of Heaven and puts them together extremely well.Classic Slayer with a more modern flavour.
    Diabolous in Musica,save for a couple of tracks is bullspit.

Hurt.
    Originally posted by ShawnRaven
    Thank you, That's a NIN song covered by Cash, not the other way around. Nobody had heard of Cash for about 12 years (when he collaborated with U2 on The Wanderer for Zooropa) prior to that. He was still around, but not in any major significant way.

Until he covered Hurt.

Ah yes, fair enough. But I don't think Cash would have sustained his comeback on Hurt alone. I think in the bigger picture, all the songs that he covered were all perfectly chosen. From Personal Jesus to One to Bridge Over Troubled Water to Desperado to Rusty Cage; they were all awesome versions!

And lets not forget The Man Comes Around.;):D

Ah yes, fair enough. But I don't think Cash would have sustained his comeback on Hurt alone. I think in the bigger picture, all the songs that he covered were all perfectly chosen. From Personal Jesus to One to Bridge Over Troubled Water to Desperado to Rusty Cage; they were all awesome versions!

And lets not forget The Man Comes Around.;):D

True, but whats the one remembered for the most?
    Had it not been for Reznors genius, Cash wouldn't have had a leg to stand on in his waning years.

Had it not been for Reznors genius, Cash wouldn't have had a leg to stand on in his waning years.

Unquestionably, Hurt is the most well known cover by Johnny Cash. Although the American Recordings began in 1994 it was IV: The Man Comes Around (which had Hurt) that was the first to score high in the American charts in 2002.

For the most part though all of the American Recordings have been well received critically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

It was Rubins idea for Cash to cover the song, and Johnny Cash did add an extra element of pathos that allowed it to become a more accessible song for the general public...whether thats a good or bad thing, it not up to me to say.

I also think the video had a lot to do with its popularity. People seeing a frail remainder of a once great and giant performer.

No doubt Reznor deserves credit for his genius song, but I think you might be selling other people short.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement