Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Make sure the SCART cable isn't a composite only one. Should have all the pins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dellasale

Hannspree model ST19AMBB , will this tv work with dtt? it says it does mheg5, but cant find out if it will mpeg4, it is a cheap one for 139 euro but just thought for the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭marclt

If it's this one then it should.. advertised at DID for a little higher price:

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=466767&CatId=3476

Will it work with RTE2 in HD??

marclt wrote: »
    If it's this one then it should.. advertised at DID for a little higher price:

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=466767&CatId=3476

Will it work with RTE2 in HD??
    No it's the ST19AMBB, have looked everywhere on the internet for details but nothing i can find thats in thew specs say it does mpeg 4 only mheg5

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭marclt

I don't believe the ST range is MPEG4 compliant.

The best thing to consult is this list: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056096032 which users have submitted to confirm sets that are currently working with Saorview.

• Advertisement

marclt wrote: »
    I don't believe the ST range is MPEG4 compliant.

The best thing to consult is this list: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056096032 which users have submitted to confirm sets that are currently working with Saorview.
    Does this just mean i wont be able to see the hd channels but able to see the rest? does that make sense, im not to up on these things

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

no you don't get ANY TV channels. The SD are in MPEG4 too
    Also the other main channels will one by one go HD only over the next few years.
    see
    www.saortv.info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

SJ19DMAB available on ebuyer for not much more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

STB wrote: »
    Sony KDL32V5810

http://powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32V581

A no more bills TV HD Freesat and Irish DTT in one. You connect a satellite dish and an aerial to it.

You get all these stations http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-get/our-channels

And the Irish stations, RTE1, RTE2 HD, Tv3, 3E, RTE News Now, Tg4.

Did I say there are no bills.

Thanks for that STB! I had a look, free delivery and all! Any more votes for this before I click buy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

newmug wrote: »
    Looks good!

A mate has a Bravia, not that particular one, but another K series, think it might be a KVL?

Anyway, a few things about it absolutely wreck my head.

1) The sides of the picture are gone. On the RTE weather, you can only see half of Jean Byrne on the left, and just the "RT" of the RTE logo on the right:mad:

2) There is "bleed". I was watching a movie where the credits were black writing on a white background, rolling from bottom to top. You could barely make out one name from the other, it just looked like a pixely stripe of black up the middle of the screen:mad:

3) Pixelation again. My ariel fed CRT telly thats 10 years old is less pixely. I tried a HD box (as opposed to normal sky) on my mates telly, it was an improvement, but still not as clear as my CRT.

4) The USB port. I downloaded a movie onto a USB stick, and stuck it in expecting it to work. Nothing happened. What is it for if you cant watch movies from a stick on it?

I know I'm being a bit simplistic above (especially about the USB port:D), but those things are issues, I'd hope the KDL32V5810 is better than the previous Bravia model (especially the missing-picture-at-the-sides bit:mad:)

Hey Newmug. I think we know the same mate! Is that you muggsy;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

Thanks for that STB! I had a look, free delivery and all! Any more votes for this before I click buy?

how does the Sony 32(V/W) 5810 update the HD channels when they come on air. Also If I get a rooftop aerial can I have one wire coming down the back of the roof tothe back room and I wire down the front roof to the front room. I would also like reception in the front bedroom which is upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 zai800

I got one of these (Sony KDL32V5810) during the week and I am impressed with quality and functionality

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Looking to get a 19" \ 20" TV for kitchen as a Christmas pressie for herself.

Can TV's that small be got with Irish DTT \ Mpeg4?

Want to get locally if possible as it's getting tight for Internet shopping as far as delivery time goes considering the bad weather is due back again.

Anyone recommend anything in the likes of PCworld, Curry's, Argos etc? (Location: Galway City)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Looking to get a 19" \ 20" TV for kitchen as a Christmas pressie for herself.

Can TV's that small be got with Irish DTT \ Mpeg4?

Want to get locally if possible as it's getting tight for Internet shopping as far as delivery time goes considering the bad weather is due back again.

Anyone recommend anything in the likes of PCworld, Curry's, Argos etc? (Location: Galway City)

-

power city should get it to you ok
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-10-P19MP4

19 inch saorview unit from walker for €159, they have LG and Samsung 19inchers for a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

and a 19" hannspree here which gets Irish DTT also for €159

http://www.did.ie/Product/HANNSPREE-19andquot-HD-LCD-SJ19DMAB/18175/381.2

says mheg5 text "yes" so ok on that front as well.

I think I'll go for this LG €189.95 with free delivery, 30 bucks more than the Walker.

LG is a brand I know and some say the sound and picture quality on Walker is poor?

Is that a reasonable deal on the LG? (Manufactures Link)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

copacetic wrote: »
    power city should get it to you ok
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-10-P19MP4

19 inch saorview unit from walker for €159, they have LG and Samsung 19inchers for a bit more.

Bought the LG in Powercity and am delighted with the service.

Sent a query to them on Tuesday & got an email response within 10 Mins.

Dealt with some chap called Damian & he knew what he was talking about (nice for a change).

Made the online purchase and got an email within minutes (automated I'd imagine). That was followed almost immediately by a phone call from them confirming transaction & delivery details.

Received the TV today (free delivery to Galway too).

Painless transaction, easier than being stuck in traffic trying to get one locally :)

Will definitely use Powercity again.

-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

fat-tony wrote: »
    Sounds like a setup problem with that TV. You can (but shouldn't!) zoom the picture if you want to stretch a 4:3 to fullscreen. Or the SKY box (if that's what you're using) may be set to 4:3 instead of 16:9 and you may not be using the RGB setting on the SCART. I can assure you the picture on the KDL32V5810 is top-notch (when properly adjusted).

Thats deadly advice Fat-tony. I set my sky box to 16:9 and it cured the prob straight away. I also have the choice of setting it to 4:3L, whats that? And why shouldn't you zoom the picture?

Thats deadly advice Fat-tony. I set my sky box to 16:9 and it cured the prob straight away. I also have the choice of setting it to 4:3L, whats that? And why shouldn't you zoom the picture?

4:3L places black bars on the top and bottom of widescreen programming so it shows correctly on 4:3 sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Glad to see that sorted the issue.
    It's a personal choice really - some people like to see the picture occupying the entire area of a widescreen TV, even if it was originally filmed in 4:3 aspect ratio, so they stretch it with the zoom control. I personally prefer not to do this as it distorts the image - I'm a sensitive soul and this offends me greatly;) The whole subject of aspect ratio stretching causes a lot of debate, but each to his or her own.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

fat-tony wrote: »
    Glad to see that sorted the issue.
    It's a personal choice really - some people like to see the picture occupying the entire area of a widescreen TV, even if it was originally filmed in 4:3 aspect ratio, so they stretch it with the zoom control. I personally prefer not to do this as it distorts the image - I'm a sensitive soul and this offends me greatly;) The whole subject of aspect ratio stretching causes a lot of debate, but each to his or her own.:)
    I prefer it to be shown in correct ratio and let the broadcaster change my TV to 4:3 when the program was not recored in widescreen, the person look more natural than being obese looking.
    I set the STB to 16:9 for my widescreen and let it be, no need for zooming.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fkearney

Bought the LG in Powercity and am delighted with the service.

Sent a query to them on Tuesday & got an email response within 10 Mins.

Dealt with some chap called Damian & he knew what he was talking about (nice for a change).

Made the online purchase and got an email within minutes (automated I'd imagine). That was followed almost immediately by a phone call from them confirming transaction & delivery details.

Received the TV today (free delivery to Galway too).

Painless transaction, easier than being stuck in traffic trying to get one locally :)

Will definitely use Powercity again.

-

I ordered the Walker 19" combi. Delivery and service was good but so far I've been very disappointed with the TV. Firstly the advert stated 2 HDMI inputs, it only has one. More seriously it has issues with RTE2 HD. There are very visible horizontal black line artifacts showing every 20 seconds. Regarding the MHEG5 support, it takes 30 seconds to load after pressing the teletext button and subsequent page changes are extremely slow. Hopefully its just a dud unit that I have, its hard to believe that something so poor could actually have passsed certification. I'm now waiting for a technical expert from Power City to contact me regarding what to do next .

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Choky

championc wrote: »
    Well all,

I've just setup my TX-L37G20B. I've got all my Saorview Channels, Radio Stations and all the Freesat stations so everything is as I hoped. And no sound issues as expected too. And as for MHEG-5, I suppose I was expecting the Teletext to still look like Teletext so now I understand what the MHEG-5 is. The Teletext is like an information system and the channel was displayed on screen in a box to the side of the info displayed.

I've UPC Broadband arriving in the morning and that will be connecting to the Ethernet socket so hopefully a few interesting things to see there when connected.

C

Hi Championc,

Is your TX-L37G20B still working OK? How about Ethernet experience?
    I'm thinking of getting the plasma version, but only if it is fully Saorview compatible. Regards.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭championc

It's a beaut - best thing ever. Finally got a Win 7 PC sorted so using Ethernet on the TV to connect to the PC which is configured as a Media Server. TV has loads of Widgets including Youtube and BBC iPlayer (but you'd need a UK Proxy for this). A proxy can be entered against network settings but doesn't seem to allow a username or password if one was necessary.

I've also now added a USB Hard Disk and recording from the set is so easy. You can only record the channel that is being displayed or that was last displayed (it has a timer option). What you can do is record one program while watching another previously recorded program. Another possibility is to record a channel while watching another channel via an AV connection.

Hope this helps

C

Thanks Championc, that sounds brill. I intend to use a combo box to allow full flexibility in watching/recording.

Had hoped to use the external drive to watch a dtt channel while recording another dtt channel (as on combo boxes), but I'll settle for what's available.

I've discovered (after reading the manual !!) that you can schedule a whole mix of channels for unattended recording and it works perfectly so long as the programmes don't overlap (obviously). Up to 15 programmes can be scheduled and this could be a complete mix of Satellite (Freesat), DVB (Saorview) and Analog. The required programmes can simply be selected from the EPG which makes thing really simple.

The G20B rocks !!!

Thanks Championc, I'm definitely going for the G20B now. :)

Where did you get the best price? There are very keen prices in Britain (£549 inc 5 year guarantee) but I've seen nothing on the net from Northern Ireland. :confused:

Try Seamus Watters - just over the Border in Armagh or else Curry's in Newry. I got mine through a work contact who got it via the UK. Some UK places were doing an in-store deal (to include 5 year warranty) but I think this finished on 24th Dec and was deffo In-Store Only price. I was thinking about finding the lowest cost of purchase & shipment and I was thinking of getting a day return to Leeds (www.SoundandVision.co.uk) or maybe somewhere else for about £10 and buying it but obviously didn't need to in the end.

Wattersit is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I know this isnt a tv , but would this be able to recieve saorview?

http://www.dabs.ie/products/hauppauge-wintv-hvr3000-tri-mode-tv-tuner-card-44WF.html?q=tv%20card

Advertisement