Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

The Cush wrote: »
    PM sent.
    Thanks have all these sorted and to my liking, in FTA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Souriau wrote: »
    Any UK Freeview HD can receive Irish DTT

In theory only.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

STB wrote: »
    In theory only.
    OK
    I thought DVB-T2 are backward compatable to DVB-T1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4
    If not, then am sorry for incorrect info.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

OK

Subject to compatible software. It has been demonstrated in the field that T2 boxes can receive the commercially operational French TNT MPEG4 DVB-T1 service as well as UK T2 MPEG4 and UK T1 MPEG2 services. I have yet to see a reported field trial where a T2 box or T2 TV has been used in Ireland to receive the current RTENL test transmissions whose transmission parameters are being regularly varied, as reported regularly on this forum. In passing I note that the Humax T2 box has a special hidden settings menu which allows the user to change the country setting from the UK to many other EU states, including Ireland. It is a case of buyer beware in Ireland as this Saorview service has not been operationally/commercially launched with a stable software configuration and as noted by other posters on this forum time after time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 thetwangman

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    I have yet to see a reported field trial where a T2 box or T2 TV has been used in Ireland to receive the current RTENL test transmissions whose transmission parameters are being regularly varied, as reported regularly on this forum.

I can confirm that the bush dvb680 freeview hd box picks up irish dtt including saorview epg. however, there is a major cropping problem on rte 2. so i would not recommend this box for irish dtt until it is confirmed that the problem is with the broadcast rather than the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

I can confirm that the bush dvb680 freeview hd box picks up irish dtt including saorview epg. however, there is a major cropping problem on rte 2. so i would not recommend this box for irish dtt until it is confirmed that the problem is with the broadcast rather than the box.

Very interesting. That could be either. I have read less than favourable reviews of that box compared to pricier T2 boxes.

Might be to do with RTÉ 2 being in 704x576 resolution rather than 720x576.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

So what's the bottom line regardless of make whan looking for a new TV in the south of Irieland?

Is it as straight forward as making sure it has an MPEG4 DTT decoder onboard?

Is there anything else one should be looking for to be as near as one can to future proofing for a bit?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

So what's the bottom line regardless of make whan looking for a new TV in the south of Irieland?

Is it as straight forward as making sure it has an MPEG4 DTT decoder onboard?

Is there anything else one should be looking for to be as near as one can to future proofing for a bit?

-

Yes, a SAORview sticker on it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭dgently

Bought a Panasonic 37" X20L Irish spec plasma on Friday in Powercity. Though they had specifically not indicated it as "Irish DTT ready" in their ads, I took my chances based on the published tuner spec.

It works perfectly. In fact, the default setup path for Ireland tuned in all DTT channels instantly. It also has a VHF tuner, so I still have TV3 on analogue.

It's a beautiful tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

In case anyone is interested, I just set up a Sony 32W5810 in Wexford town with a satellite input as well as a roof ariel pointed towards wales. I set the zone as UK, entering a London postcode. It has picked up all the freesat channels and RTE1, RTE2, TG4 and the test card for TV3 on digital. I have RTE2, TV3 and TG4 analogue.
    Did you not get rte1 analogue??
    Im thinking of buying the sony 32w5810 for 529 in sony letterkenny, 499 in sony sligo for some reason! It has freesat hd and is irish digital ready with mpeg 4 tuner .
    I did a lot of research and it looks like a dam good tv, the ex sony series has freeview HD , but no freesat. but i want the free to air channels, so would i get fta channels on the freeview tv? , I dont see tvs that say FTA, only freeview or freesat! its confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

Pangea wrote: »
    Im thinking of buying the sony 32w5810 for 529 in sony letterkenny, 499 in sony sligo for some reason! It has freesat hd and is irish digital ready with mpeg 4 tuner .
    I did a lot of research and it looks like a dam good tv, the ex sony series has freeview HD , but no freesat. but i want the free to air channels, so would i get fta channels on the freeview tv? , I dont see tvs that say FTA, only freeview or freesat! its confusing.

no, I don't have RTE1 analogue, but it's down to my aerial more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Which free-to-air channels do you want, FTA satellite or freesat or freeview terrestrial?

The Sony 5810 range has an integrated satellite receiver, freesat when installed with UK as country or FTA satellite when installed with Ireland as country. The range doesn't do freeview HD and no Sony freeview-HD TV does satellite. Freeview HD won't be available from NI until approx mid 2012.

The 5810 will receive both Irish DTT and freeview if within range of an appropriate transmitter.

If you currently receive analogue RTÉ via VHF aerial Sony TVs normally disable the VHF tuner if UK is used as the country settting.

OK
    stb is wrong and you are right..

I have a t2 box and can confirm that it decodes rte mpeg4 perfectly

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055953454

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

stb is wrong and you are right..

I have a t2 box and can confirm that it decodes rte mpeg4 perfectly

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055953454
    Thanks

Which free-to-air channels do you want, FTA satellite or freesat or freeview terrestrial?

The Sony 5810 range has an integrated satellite receiver, freesat when installed with UK as country or FTA satellite when installed with Ireland as country. The range doesn't do freeview HD and no Sony freeview-HD TV does satellite. Freeview HD won't be available from NI until approx mid 2012.

The 5810 will receive both Irish DTT and freeview if within range of an appropriate transmitter.

If you currently receive analogue RTÉ via VHF aerial Sony TVs normally disable the VHF tuner if UK is used as the country settting.
    Great thanks for that information , its clarfies a few things.
    I want the FTA satellite, I have it at the moment. No seven day epg or anything ,I can move the channels around where i want them but im happy with it.
    Yes i do get RTÉ via analogue, Im in South West Donegal so Im not sure if im could get IrishDTT yet? , Truskmore Sligo is where I get my reception from.
    One question can we get bbc hd or itv hd in the republic?

In a few months I intend to get the Humax set top box for recording etc. So maybe I need not to be too concerned about the sony tvs tuner.
    The humax has a mpeg 4 tuner as far as I can see.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-FOXSAT-HDR-Freesat-Digital-Recorder/dp/B001L5YU36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277769301&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

One question can we get bbc hd or itv hd in the republic?

In a few months I intend to get the Humax set top box for recording etc. So maybe I need not to be too concerned about the sony tvs tuner.
    The humax has a mpeg 4 tuner as far as I can see.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-FOXSAT-HDR-Freesat-Digital-Recorder/dp/B001L5YU36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277769301&sr=8-1

I recently purchased a Sony 5810 and can confirm BBC & ITV HD are there. The €499 price you were quoted in Sligo is very good, got mine for €519 plus delivery.

The Humax is a lovely piece of kit, my brother has one.

I recently purchased a Sony 5810 and can confirm BBC & ITV HD are there. The €499 price you were quoted in Sligo is very good, got mine for €519 plus delivery.

The Humax is a lovely piece of kit, my brother has one.
    Fantastic! Sounds good.
    About the Irish DTT tests, how does one go about receiving it? When i get the W5810 and if im in a receptive area will RTÉ just appear?

Fantastic! Sounds good.
    About the Irish DTT tests, how does one go about receiving it? When i get the W5810 and if im in a receptive area will RTÉ just appear?
    The first time you do a digital tune-yes.
    You will need an outdoor aerial pointed to a main transmitter.

Yes that is true. But, unbeleivably, since they have certified no sets yet, we do not know for certain if they are going to change the spec. However, if you are buying a major make, then updates are possible. The real problems come if you want Freesat AND Irish DTT, and the spec is incompatible between the GB settings and Ireland. For example, unlikely, but if Irish DTT were to go with VHF DTT. I think you are safe enough, but not certain, if you buy a Freeview HD set.
    Hey sam russell, I would like to ask you about that post, does both freeview and freesat tvs come with the option to tune in all the FTA channels with no 7day epg e.g. al jazeria and the rest etc. Or is the restricted to freeview OR freesat, its just im buying a tv and i dont which to go for free sat or freeview hd, at the moment i have a STB that has a lot of FTA Channels and would like this feature in a new tv.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Hey sam russell, I would like to ask you about that post, does both freeview and freesat tvs come with the option to tune in all the FTA channels with no 7day epg e.g. al jazeria and the rest etc. Or is the restricted to freeview OR freesat, its just im buying a tv and i dont which to go for free sat or freeview hd, at the moment i have a STB that has a lot of FTA Channels and would like this feature in a new tv.

Freesat is a particular GB version of FTA that has all the UK stations on Freesat in designated positions and no other FTA channels can be added to that setup. But you can abandon it and use the set as a regular FTA sat receiver.

Benefits of Freesat is that you get UK TV with full 7 day epg and any changes are retuned automatically. The TV must be set to country code UK. If you want a FTA sat TV, then you can set the country code to whatever you want, and point your satelite dish to any satelite.

Irish channels will appear in the 800s if you do not have Ireland as your country.

But you can always reset the TV and rescan if you do not like your original choice.

Freesat is a particular GB version of FTA that has all the UK stations on Freesat in designated positions and no other FTA channels can be added to that setup. But you can abandon it and use the set as a regular FTA sat receiver.

Benefits of Freesat is that you get UK TV with full 7 day epg and any changes are retuned automatically. The TV must be set to country code UK. If you want a FTA sat TV, then you can set the country code to whatever you want, and point your satelite dish to any satelite.

Irish channels will appear in the 800s if you do not have Ireland as your country.

But you can always reset the TV and rescan if you do not like your original choice.
    Thanks , Does the same go for freeview tv, can u abandon freeview aswell and use the tv as FTA instead?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Nice, bit expensive though!

Be very careful with Freeview Pangea. While "Freeview HD" capability indicated that it _should_ work in Ireland vanilla "Freeview" does not. Even Freeview HD is suspect, depends on the quality of the software inside.

Pending the release of Saorview certified kit over the next 6 months you should check the TV models and Families ( most come in 32 37 40 42 50 inch variants) case by case in here and some nice person should set you right before you buy :)

Furthermore you will need an analogue UHF tuner to pick up ITV Ireland TV3 and possibly for quite some time ...even if RTE and TG4 works on digital.

Be very careful with Freeview Pangea. While "Freeview HD" capability indicated that it _should_ work in Ireland vanilla "Freeview" does not. Even Freeview HD is suspect, depends on the quality of the software inside.

Pending the release of Saorview certified kit over the next 6 months you should check the TV models and Families ( most come in 32 37 40 42 50 inch variants) case by case in here and some nice person should set you right before you buy :)

Furthermore you will need an analogue UHF tuner to pick up ITV Ireland TV3 and possibly for quite some time ...even if RTE and TG4 works on digital.
    I see , thanks, so a lot of us are in saorview tv limbo at the moment lol
    Im thinking I will buy the sony32W5810, they say its irish digital tv ready and freesat, I dont get the english stations via analogue here so it would be quite foolish of me to buy a tv with freeview hd.
    I never knew tvs could be so complicated , theres so many options.

dgently wrote: »
    Bought a Panasonic 37" X20L Irish spec plasma on Friday in Powercity.

It works perfectly. In fact, the default setup path for Ireland tuned in all DTT channels instantly. It also has a VHF tuner, so I still have TV3 on analogue.

It's a beautiful tv.

Quick update to advise that the X20 does not support MHEG-5 digital teletext. This could have implications for "Green Button" services that were trialled recently.

So not "perfect", just awfully good :)

dgently wrote: »
    Quick update to advise that the X20 does not support MHEG-5 digital teletext. This could have implications for "Green Button" services that were trialled recently.

So not "perfect", just awfully good :)
    Oh dear, the list of requirements are getting bigger and bigger lol, thanks for that, I doubt it will be in a list of my top priorities when purchasing myself a new tv though as the ones i like dont support it :(

The Panasonics do absolutely everything except digital teletext..picture sound 'old' aertel work fine. Picture and Upscaling ( =conversion from standard def say DVD or Sky box) is better than LG which generally does support digital teletext and costs less.

The only thing to remember is to turn on Digital ( DTT or DVB-T) after selecting Ireland or it will only automatically tune the Analogue channels only if you select Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

Pangea just buy the sony32W5810.

• Advertisement

The Panasonics do absolutely everything except digital teletext..<snip>

The only thing to remember is to turn on Digital ( DTT or DVB-T) after selecting Ireland or it will only automatically tune the Analogue channels only if you select Ireland.

Sponge Bob, the X20 is a 2010 model - when you select "Ireland" it automatically tunes all DTT channels and defaults to them.

Advertisement