Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sagem Freeview +hd T2 box working perfectly with rte and uk freeview

Options
  • 28-06-2010 11:06pm

I have my sagem freeview+hd box a t2 receiver working perfectly combined with kippure on ch54 and presely tonight.
    All the RTE's are in the 800's with full epg information and can be recorded.

Flicking from RTE 1 to BBC1 wales or film 4,E4,Quest,Davejavu,RTE2 etc either by numbers or via the epg is seamless !

Absolutely Brilliant and all from an aerial in south wicklow.

Picture quality is superb already both on RTE and the uk freeview channels and the presely hd services are switched on from tomorrow \o/

Absolutely brilliant!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

good stuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Great news , means the software does not make silly assumptions on mpeg4. Could one record equally easily one wonders ???

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I have my sagem freeview+hd box a t2 receiver working perfectly combined with kippure on ch54 and presely tonight.

Flicking from RTE 1 to BBC1 wales or film 4,E4,Quest,Davejavu,RTE2 etc either by numbers or via the epg is seamless !

Picture quality is superb already both on RTE and the uk freeview channels and the presely hd services are switched on from tomorrow \o/

Absolutely brilliant!
    What model number is it? or model name?

I got it in john lewis in London last week,it's the sagemcom

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pvrs/277057/sagemcom-launches-rti190-freeview-hd-recorder

It's a bit steep to say the least at £249 stg but my logic was,I'm saving money on the tv spec end with this and as it has twin tuners and works exactly like a sky plus except free :) and has the bonus now of rte digital on the epg along with uk freeview.That means all tv viewing on the main tv can be through this.
    Live pause is just sexy.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Great news , means the software does not make silly assumptions on mpeg4. Could one record equally easily one wonders ???
    Thats the T1 version-standard dfinition that doesn't have rte as it's mpeg2

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Now if there was such a box that had dual DVB-s2 tuners also, saorview logo/MHEG5 and Freesat EPG, it would be great for those of us outside of giant Pole reach to UK DTT.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    Now if there was such a box that had dual DVB-s2 tuners also, saorview logo/MHEG5 and Freesat EPG, it would be great for those of us outside of giant Pole reach to UK DTT.
    Well actually freeview uk works well in most cases in wexford on a grid,but is better on a yagi.
    Most yagi's in Gorey are attached to the chimney and look only slightly bigger than what you see on the credits for coronation st :)

I've a giant pole alright but that was originally to get over a hill 40ft higher than my roof [so the aerial is 60ft up] to view arfon.We went for arfon back in the day because of cairn hill co channel on presely analogue.
    Ironically we discovered years later[last summer] that up at 60ft,there was little or no co channel on presely from cairn hill,it was clear and lovely-whereas at chimney level the co channel was bad at times.
    It's not needed at all for presely digital but I've decided to keep it as it is bomb proof presely reception given it means the twins have a straight sea view towards pembrokeshire.

I'd hazzard a guess that if I had to use Llandonna for some reason,the pole would bring it in,it's such a frequent visitor at this stage already.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

And, of course, also now live with HD from Preseli. What did Bruce Willis say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Great! As I was saying a few months back, one of these will be perfect for my folks, all the channels they'll ever need and Sky+ functionality with no subs! :D

Black Briar can you organise the channels in a Favourites list like on a Picnic?

yes you can!

Hows Blaenplwyf going in Rathdrum since by the way?

Loving the HD on it as per the presely hd thread.

It's ITV1 london with the london local news and fully recordable obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Absolutely brilliant!

ok im a bit slow here but can you tell me exactly what i need for this set up and links to the products if you wouldnt mind

• Advertisement

Had you analogue from Preseli before they switeched it off, if so the box is simply plug in and tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Apogee

@Black Briar - have you been able to test series link yet? Is there any evidence of series link being available for the Irish channels?

All the RTÉ docs seem to suggest they would implement series link info using MHEG-5, rather than DVB-SI as used in the UK.

unfortunately,I've lost kippure signal [needs a dedicated high gain aerial and amp here in arklow :eek:] and cant get mt leinster due to the stupid use of ch 45.
    kippure will drift in again so when it does I will check that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Should this thread be prefixed with the words in "In certain east coast locations"?

mike65 wrote: »
    Should this thread be prefixed with the words in "In certain east coast locations"?

Only if that preface is prefaced also with "RTE received" :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mike65 wrote: »

It certainly shouldn't be prefaced with 'official'. There seem to be a few threads like it recently with no indication why they are 'official', when they appear to be just a normal thread:confused:

The only and I stress only reason why I said official in this is because certain individuals here were doubting that t2 receivers decode mpeg4.

Well it's official-they do because mine does.
    Now could we get back on topic thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

copacetic wrote: »
    It certainly shouldn't be prefaced with 'official'. There seem to be a few threads like it recently with no indication why they are 'official', when they appear to be just a normal thread:confused:

+1

"Confirmed" would be better.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Okay, no "Official" unless it comes from an Official Source please.

icdg wrote: »
    Okay, no "Official" unless it comes from an Official Source please.

I reckon BB is official enough around here :p but each T2 box should be tested on its own before people are encouraged to buy them simply because firmware may be slapdash or suspect. I did ask MRDTV quite some time back if he would be kind enough to report any RTE tuning successes in Wales on a given T2 box for the exact same reason.

A T2 box in Ireland is caveat emptor for now , excepting the Sagem , but I am very hopeful that most of them will work well even if certain aspects are buggy such as the yet untested series link query I posed.

• Advertisement

I did ask MRDTV quite some time back if he would be kind enough to report any RTE tuning successes in Wales on a given T2 box for the exact same reason.

The Cush has similarly reported that the Humax DVB-T2 box was OK in March:
    The Cush wrote: »
    Was doing a bit of window shopping today in Limerick and came across some items of interest.

First off, in Maplins they have a Humax HD-FOX T2 on working display for a ridiculous €297 (£268) - internet price range £149 - £160. The receiver was setup with the UK setting - all channels in the 800's. The É in RTÉ did not display correctly in the channel name. Could not check the text - no R/C available.

Ahh but The Cush never brought it home did he :D There is a Phillips out there too.

One further reservation is that a lot of T2 boxes are upgraded over the air ( OTA) . As these are early release units they will be buggy and you need a signal from Wales to patch the bastids. The OTA Software Upgrade menu for Freeview HD units is published on this site every week for the following week.

Therefore if you use the box elsewhere in Ireland you could be rightly bollixed with bugs and with no access to firmware upgrades ...or else you have make a point of being nice to someone in Wexford :(

For that reason I am waiting for combi Freesat HD and Freeview HD units where the software can come in over the Satellite no matter where you are in Ireland.

Ahh but The Cush never brought it home did he :D

The Cush has more sense than to hand over €297 to the gougers nice people in Maplin!
    One further reservation is that a lot of T2 boxes are upgraded over the air ( OTA) .

That's a major potential problem. Can the firmware not be downloaded from the manufacturers' websites?

Apogee wrote: »
    Can the firmware not be downloaded from the manufacturers' websites?

No, although Sagem will "investigate" they said about 3 weeks ago, watch the official users posts on Digitalspy to see when they finish investigating. You may get the OTA upgrades direct from NI too, not just Wales and even though T2 signals are not broadcast from NI.

You will not get them from SKY or UPC :D

Yes thats the major fault I have with the Sagem,it's buggy.

I got an OTA update though the other day which was very effecient.It took about 10 minutes tops and this fixed the crash to standby problem.

The EPG is very slow but the rep over on DS has brought this back to the developers.
    In a way it's interesting to be part of a development.

The recording is easier than on the humax t1 box.

Next up-A t2 tv :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

For that reason I am waiting for combi Freesat HD and Freeview HD units where the software can come in over the Satellite no matter where you are in Ireland.
    Are these on the horizon?

Sorry - seen the other thread now!

Next up-A t2 tv :)

We will have the same problem with bugs there BB. If you cannot pick up either Multiplexes 1/PSB1, B (occasionally) or PSB3/HD from the UK then you may be completely outside the update loop on UK gear.

Therefore , and before purchasing, one should satisfy themselves that they will be able to get box fixes by another means, eg internet or else internet to SD card into SD slot in Telly and update from there.

Your recommendation on the Sagem did not carry the proviso that you had updated the software at least once ...because you could. Only 10% of the population can pick up OTA updates of T2 boxes today and only 25% will ever be in that position ....the remaining 15% after 2012.

The other 75% of us will not be able to and would be best waiting for Freesat combis that hold out the chance of OTA firmware/bugfix updates from that direction or else from flashable images.

While Saorview will _probably_ support OTA updates ( it does not yet) the risk there is that a perfectly functioning bit of UK gear will pick up a crap piece of IE firmware which could break things :)

For now the best place to ask is Digitalspy or AVForums because they are the fora where the company reps generally hang out, not on boards.ie :)

On that note,the box does ask you if you want to install the update.
    You can refuse it.
    I'd have bought the phillips t2 box only it was £50 dearer.
    It was a spur of the moment purchase while in London,I'd have got the less buggy phillips had I read the ds sagem forum first.
    Regardless,the box is doing what I want and I wouldn't recommend it for non UK freeview areas untill it is sold sans bugs.
    Updates for humax are available on their site.
    The purpose of this thread was to debunk the myth that T2 does not decode Mpeg 4.It does.

There are outstanding questions,like will it do series link for RTE.
    I'll get to these presently.
    I'm not in a good coverage area for saorview being on the East coast don't you know... so an answer to that will have to wait untill I mount a high gain cd kippure aerial and masthead amp.

The bug problems as I understand it by the way apply to pvr's only and not T2 tv sets as they just decode.

So T2 Tv it is! up next :)

The bug problems as I understand it by the way apply to pvr's only and not T2 tv sets as they just decode.

Particularly to PVRs but TVs will no doubt have less annoying bugs on a case by case basis.

Shall we take Peats over and make a plugfest night of it to sort this out for once and for all ??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

In respect of T2 boxes:

These are known to work with TNT France ( Winston_1) and Irish DTT (BlackBriar), both of this parish, in off-air tests. The Humax T2 boxes have a hidden menu which allows you to switch countries on it ( details posted in DS). I think some of the T2 PVRs are a tad buggy, remember they have just come out, and the best vendors allow you a computer download of the latest software with null modem cables just like the excellent Echostar satellite receivers of recent years. My experience so far with the Humax T2 box is that it is excellent, very stable, has one known bug (sound configurations), has a very sensitive tuner.

In respect of Welsh reception of Irish DTT you would need to be suitably positioned, have a T2 receiver and the right aerials. Then, possibly like marclt you are in business. Also Welsh viewers can probably see Kippure and Three Rock far easier than those in the South East so then can bypass the dreaded Mount Leinster/Preseli CCI nonsense unlike those who actually have to pay for RTE. Goan & Co should be ashamed of this fiasco.

Advertisement