Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Definitely agree with chivito's sentiment. A big part of what makes you a great runner is that you are never quite fully satisfied with a result. I think you've mentioned the time that you would quite happily retire with a few times on your log but the problem is that it keeps on changing, which is a good thing of course.

I remember we had a similar experience in London where we started just that little bit too far back and the first couple of miles were very stop/start with a lot of weaving, accelerating and decelerating. This is all very tiring and mentally exhausting and than having to make up that minute or two is a real pain in the hole. I think going for Berlin is a great call. When you put in that amount of effort to a training cycle, you want to give yourself the best shot at executing on the day and they seem to have the set up that suits fast times.

Might join you in a couple of those races next year too, definitely Ballycotton and possibly the Armagh 5k too if the timing suits with the track season. When does it take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

A little bit of trivia for you :) (I am re-reading Bertie Messitt's biography From Boghall to Bethlehem and Beyond)

Willie Dunne of Donore Harriers came 42nd in the Rome 1960 Olympic Games marathon. He ran 2:33:10. Pretty sure he went on to run 2:17. Just sayin ;)

Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    A little bit of trivia for you :) (I am re-reading Bertie Messitt's biography From Boghall to Bethlehem and Beyond)

Willie Dunne of Donore Harriers came 42nd in the Rome 1960 Olympic Games marathon. He ran 2:33:10. Pretty sure he went on to run 2:17. Just sayin ;)
    Was he hundreds of years old when he ran 2:33:10 though? :)

Is the book good? Would love to read it, but doesn't seem to be available anywhere [hint, hint!].

Is the book good? Would love to read it, but doesn't seem to be available anywhere [hint, hint!].

Haha I'll pass it on, actually Suzanne can, I promised it to her first :)

It's a really good read, I keep getting the urge to post paragraphs on A/R. A few pages in, Bertie detailed about how he was drug tested in Rome, a huge surprise to the naive Irish, that anyone would run for anything but the love of it. He mentioned how there were rumours of Russians and steroids even back then.

Lots more quotable stuff re a solo marathon time trial mid June, a 15 mile road race the end of June and the marathon trial itself early July :eek:
    Anyway, I won't spoil it for you....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'll bring it with me on Sat

• Advertisement

Dubgal or Beepbeep, I'll leave it up to ye to update this so that the legend lives on.......:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertie_Messitt

Dubgal or Beepbeep, I'll leave it up to ye to update this so that the legend lives on.......:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertie_Messitt

Ah deadly, nice one KU. I'll get my dad on the case. Bertie introduced him to running aged 15 and now the pa is one of those typical 'amateur running statisticians'. I have all Bertie's stats and achievements typed up already on my PC somewhere.

Actually Beepbeep, email pending ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I'll bring it with me on Sat

An easy and nice read is "The Irishman who ran for England - Jim Hogan"
    I'll swap you after KC is finished Bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Do we all have to bring a book on Saturday? It could make for a quiet evening as we each head for a quiet corner craft beer in one hand, sporting legends autobiography in the other and our bifocals on the end of our noses!
    (Sad that I'm kinda liking the sound of this!) :-)

You can carry on with the log now KC!

Abhainn wrote: »

Next in line please :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Abhainn wrote: »

He fired the gun at a race in his hometown that I was at last year, he was really sick at the time but still came out and braved the wind and rain even though he could barely stand, tough as nails! Great story, letsrun done a big write-up on him about the 1964 Tokyo Olympic marathon where he went with Abebe Bikile a couple of years a go as well, must try and dig it up.

Found it: a good bio on his life

http://www.letsrun.com/2002/hogan.html

He fired the gun at a race in his hometown that I was at last year, he was really sick at the time but still came out and braved the wind and rain even though he could barely stand, tough as nails! Great story, letsrun done a big write-up on him about the 1964 Tokyo Olympic marathon where he went with Abebe Bikile a couple of years a go as well, must try and dig it up.

Found it: a good bio on his life

http://www.letsrun.com/2002/hogan.html

Thanks for that NE. 'The Split' in Irish athletics was hugely significant. Officialdom (I'm thinking BLE) especially never seemed to promote certain talented and hard working athletes. He mentioned that he got the cold shoulder because he worked in England when still declaring for Ireland. Nothing much changed for decades apparently; Sonia stated in her bio that she got the same treatment.

Comfortable and all as your log is KC, I'm taking my bifocals and craft beer glass of red and slippers over to the main page with this, I have an idea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Help needed. I'm guessing you're the man who might know the answer to this. I've just got a real craving for some James Squire beers. I used to drink the stuff in Melbourne a lot, and it is top notch. There's a huge range of different beers, and not all of them are even listed on their website it seems (unless they've discontinued a few since I left). They even have a pub in the centre of Melbourne which serves just James Squire brews, all on tap.

I've just realised an intense need to get hold of this stuff. How would I find this over here? Who is the best bet? Can it even be ordered in from Australia especially?

http://www.jamessquire.com.au/craft-beer/

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Help needed. I'm guessing you're the man who might know the answer to this. I've just got a real craving for some James Squire beers. I used to drink the stuff in Melbourne a lot, and it is top notch. There's a huge range of different beers, and not all of them are even listed on their website it seems (unless they've discontinued a few since I left). They even have a pub in the centre of Melbourne which serves just James Squire brews, all on tap.

I've just realised an intense need to get hold of this stuff. How would I find this over here? Who is the best bet? Can it even be ordered in from Australia especially?

http://www.jamessquire.com.au/craft-beer/
    Best bet would really be drinkstore.ie, but a quick search reveals that they don't stock it. Here are their Australian offerings: link

Can't remember exactly where you live (think it used to be Dundrum?), but Devenneys in Dundrum has one of the best beer selections in South Dublin, so may be worth a shot, but if it's no in Drinkstore, it's not likely to appear anywhere else. Redmonds of Ranelagh also have a good selection, but again, looking at their Australian beers, looks like you may be out of luck: link Martin's off-license seem to have stocked it in the past, so may be worth giving them a bell. They're based in Fairview. A quick search on the Beer & Wine & Spirits forum, suggests that a couple of people have drank James Squire in the last 18 months, but no suggestions of where they got it (they might have been in Australia). You could do worse than pose the question on that forum, but I'm guessing that you may be out of luck.

Best bet would really be drinkstore.ie, but a quick search reveals that they don't stock it. Here are their Australian offerings: link

Can't remember exactly where you live (think it used to be Dundrum?), but Devenneys in Dundrum has one of the best beer selections in South Dublin, so may be worth a shot, but if it's no in Drinkstore, it's not likely to appear anywhere else. Redmonds of Ranelagh also have a good selection, but again, looking at their Australian beers, looks like you may be out of luck: link Martin's off-license seem to have stocked it in the past, so may be worth giving them a bell. They're based in Fairview. A quick search on the Beer & Wine & Spirits forum, suggests that a couple of people have drank James Squire in the last 18 months, but no suggestions of where they got it (they might have been in Australia). You could do worse than pose the question on that forum, but I'm guessing that you may be out of luck.

I popped into Whelans off licence after work there and was glancing through their menu of beers and I see James Squire on the list. Which particular James Squire it was I didn't care. Then he tells me they haven't had it for a year. Momentary excitement crushed! He took my name and number and is going to call the guy he gets the beer from to see if he has any, as I was raving about it so much. He said they used to have Little Creatures (very tasty) too but stopped selling it as the beer didn't last as long (less preservatives I guess) and it wasn't selling quickly enough.

Yeh checked that site and it's the usuals of James Boags and Coopers Pale and Coopers Sparkling. Fortunately the first 2 are good beers, but it's a very small number and doesn't reflect the best beer the country has. I recall the Woolshed used to have things like VB and Toohey's Extra Dry. Don't know if they still do or not, but they are just your generic mainstream beer anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Hope you don't mind another off topic question. I noticed you mentioned skyscanner a couple of weeks ago so checked it out myself for an upcoming flight. The bookings seem to go the vayama.ie site, any experience booking through them? Bit nervous using them when there's a couple of different airlines involved but the savings are very big.

neilc wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind another off topic question. I noticed you mentioned skyscanner a couple of weeks ago so checked it out myself for an upcoming flight. The bookings seem to go the vayama.ie site, any experience booking through them? Bit nervous using them when there's a couple of different airlines involved but the savings are very big.

I booked my flights to Rio next year through them. Seem fine to me. Only 5 euro credit card fee too. One of the others tried to charge 50 or 60.

Skyscanner is just a site aggregator, so no problems there - have been using it for many years. On the specific booking sites, I think it's unlikely that SkyScanner would filter content from unreliable sites, but I guess there's always a small risk involved when booking with any travel agency. I haven't heard of Vayama.ie before, but they claim to be fully licensed and bonded in Ireland (though their registered address is not in Ireland - it's in the Netherlands). Worth remembering that if you pay using a credit card and do not get the agreed product or services, you may have some purchase protection from your credit card company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Skyscanner is just a site aggregator, so no problems there - have been using it for many years. On the specific booking sites, I think it's unlikely that SkyScanner would filter content from unreliable sites, but I guess there's always a small risk involved when booking with any travel agency. I haven't heard of Vayama.ie before, but they claim to be fully licensed and bonded in Ireland (though their registered address is not in Ireland - it's in the Netherlands). Worth remembering that if you pay using a credit card and do not get the agreed product or services, you may have some purchase protection from your credit card company.
    Thanks for the info, I'd never heard of skyscanner before your post. The same set of flights are now going through lastminute.com rather than vayama a full €324 cheaper than booking with aerlingus. Tempted to book now but think I'll wait a little bit more to see if aerlingus have a sale soon!

Thanks for the info, I'd never heard of skyscanner before your post. The same set of flights are now going through lastminute.com rather than vayama a full €324 cheaper than booking with aerlingus. Tempted to book now but think I'll wait a little bit more to see if aerlingus have a sale soon!
    Alerts - that's where the real action is! Set up an alert to e-mail you when the prices drop. You might get lucky!

• Advertisement

Marathon week +1: 13.4 miles
    So, following the marathon, I took a full 6 days off, with absolutely no running. Faced though, with the prospect of 18 hours of travel, including a couple of long flights, I eventually caved on the sixth day and headed out for an easy 5 mile run. The following day, I arrived in Minneapolis at about 5:30pm local time (mid-night back home), but on the basis that a run is the best way to deal with changing time-zones, I threw on the runners and hit the road. Darkness had descended though, so running the trail around the lake wasn't an option, so I headed West, past the dry ski jump, and stuck to some well-lit roads. As usually happens, instead of just running a couple of miles and re-tracing my steps, I figured I just keep on turning right and eventually I'd arrive back at the hotel. Just 1km from the hotel, and with my stomach cramping from the sh1te airline food, I ran out of 'sidewalk' as I hit a bridge, and couldn't justifiably keep going safely, so had to turn back and re-trace my steps, running a very uncomfortable 8.3 miles instead of the planned easy jog

Marathon week +2: 32.6 Miles
    Travelling to River Falls Wisconsin, running is always pretty tricky. The day usually starts at about 5am, catching up with my European colleagues' emails and workload, before hitting the office for 8am. The workday tends to finish up at around 5:30pm (which marks a significant change from home), but there's pretty much always a desire and a requirement to eat and drink with the US friends and colleagues, so any great plans to run tend to fall by the way-side. This suited me perfectly during post-marathon week and the plan was just to run when I could, under no pressure, so I was pretty satisfied with getting a couple of runs in during the week and just two days of rest. Monday was 3 miles on the hotel treddie, at a pace that gradually picked up and finished at MP. WednesdayI managed to get out for 10k after work, in the dark, but well-lit pavements around the small town of River Falls. Another drink-enforced rest day on Thursday, and I managed to get up at about 4am (still a bit wobbly from the previous night's cocktails), for 5 miles, before arriving at work for an 8am meeting with the boss. Two hours later, I was back in the airport, and headed for home.

A couple of hours of kip to help deal with the jet-lag, and I hit the trails in Shankill for some easy miles. Coming back from the US, I could probably spend the day dozing (never entirely conscious), but running a few miles really helps, and by the time I got home, I was wide awake and ready for a tour of the Wicklow Wolf Brewery and a night of pints with my fellow Bray Marathoners.

After a couple of months of hard graft, I find it tough to think about training plans, quality sessions, and anything that translates to physical distress, so all of my runs tend to be nice scenic easy runs - finding the love of running once more, before I can bring the brain around to the idea of pushing on, once again. So on Sunday, I headed towards the coast, taking in Killiney Hill - never pushing the pace too hard.

November 9th-15th: 65.6 miles
    Continuing the trend of enjoyable easy runs and building back up to a 7 day week, I broke my general rule and dealt with some work-related anger with a steady 5 mile run on the Wednesday at a decent 6:30/mile, before settling back into easy runs once more. On Sunday, the first proper run since the marathon, I met up with some of the lads from the club and eventually Dublin-Runner caught up with us, for some tasty hills around Dublin/Wicklow. Lots of hill climbs and descents that provided some training impetus, without the need to really push the pace or the effort levels. Only by the third climb did Dublin Runner finally show any signs of being as tired as I felt, but I reckon he was just lettin' on to make me feel better.

November 16-22: 66.1 Miles - The week of the gales
    Mostly continued the process of just ticking over. Not quite ready to introduce the idea of quality training just yet (the head's not in the right space yet), outside of some strides, but I find that between the easy runs and the hills, I'm not losing too much ground. Ideally I'd like to have jumped into ecoli's continuity sessions (which I found great last year), but it's been a long year with lots of miles and lots of sessions, and I feel that trying to hit some hard sessions and missing the mark would be pretty counter-productive, so I'll bide my time, jump into a few races for a bit of stimulus, and I'll know when the head is right. Speaking of races:

Sunday 22nd: Stook 10 mile
    A couple of days prior to the race, the easy mileage was getting to me, with feelings of guilt and 'blunting', so I decided I'd head down to Stook for the Gowran AC 10 mile race, which I'd really enjoyed when I'd last visited a few years back. I certainly wasn't in good racing shape, but truth be told, I wasn't really down to race, I came down to continue the pattern of only doing running that I enjoy, and this race fit the bill quite nicely. Two days earlier, I'd headed for the hills above Johnny Foxes in pursuit (and achievement) of finding some snow, but I could feel those hilly miles in the legs, but that mattered little. It didn't matter if I came 5th or 55th, I wanted some fast running and some racing fun. Great to catch up with Asimonov, who had been alerted in advance that Slogger Jogger and I were nearing Dungarvan and he was there to greet us as we headed towards the community centre.

Loads of Boards folks and running buddies and a few new acquaintances helped whittle away the minutes before the race and soon Abhainn and I were headed along the course for a couple of easy warm-up miles. A couple of the heavy-hitters had had to pull out of the race due to injury and forced absence, and I greeted the news with a little bit of remorse, as it meant I'd likely be closer to the front of the race, and would have to treat it a little more seriously than I'd planned. I just didn't think I was in the right mental shape to thrash myself in a race environment, but nothing for it but to see how the race shook out.

The same wonderful race start, with cigarette-smoking farmer astride his quad bike complete with firearm, ready to shoot anyone who stepped over the starting line, or announce the start of the race - whichever came first. Shots ringing out, we were off and immediately I was thrust backwards, in around 10th place amidst the usual initial race hustle. It was difficult to pick out the more competitive runners in the leading pack, but sizing them up, I felt there were about 3/4 contenders, based on body shape, shoe selection and breathing patterns. The early pace dropped off very rapidly though, and I soon found myself drifting to the front, with one of the contenders and Abhainn just slightly behind. Glancing at the watch, the pace had dropped off to something that was just way too slow as we hit the village, so I picked it up and was surprised to take an early lead. I was soon joined by the other runner and we ran side by side for the next few hundred metres. I thought I recognized him as the winner of the Roscommon 10 mile race, which would put him in comfortable 52/53 minute 10 mile shape, so when he surged ahead, I didn't respond at all and let him open a gap. Looking back, this was an absolutely key moment in the race. If it was a game of cards, he had just limped in with a small raise, and I responded by surrendering the game. In hindsight, I don't know if I would have had the fight in me to go shoulder to shoulder for the entire race (particularly as I assumed (incorrectly as it turned out) that he was a 52 minute 10 mile guy), but when he picked up the pace, I didn't respond and focused instead on maintaining second place.

Over the next few miles, the leader chased the leading car, I chased the leader, and I could hear other runners chasing me. I didn't want to look back, but could hear another runner just metres behind. Occasionally as we rounded a bend or a turn in the road, I'd steal a glance, but all I'd catch was the fact that the runner was wearing a singlet. I hoped it was Abhainn, as if anyone was to overtake me and knock me down a spot I'd want it to be him, but I couldn't be sure (and not knowing, probably helped spur me onwards).

The pace was neither ground-breaking, nor easy - it lay somewhere in between. But we all knew the hill lay before us, and the hill of Stook is without question, the most significant feature on the route. I had run well up the hill on my last visit, but had responded very poorly after cresting the hill and finished badly. This time, I hoped to do a little better on both sides of the slope, so eased back a little, just before the climb began in earnest. Meanwhile the leader had been widening the gap (probably 500m at the 5 mile mark), and on the twisty-turny route, I was no longer in touch. I could hear the next runner occasionally - at times he'd seem close, and then there'd be silence. The hill took it's toll, with the pace dropping initially to 6 minute mile and then to 6:50, before picking up a little as it evened out. There was still further climbing to be done, but I recover quickly and the brief flat ground gave me a moment to catch my breath and pick up the pace.

Finally, to the cheers and screams of some terrifying bystanders (Asimonov's family and friends in fearsome garb), I crested the hill, with a cup of water in my hand and blinded by the sudden appearance of the sun, I almost ran straight into the ditch, narrowly avoiding a prickly encounter. I hit the downhill with one goal in mind - to do some justice to the 'flying mile' this year. Hitting the final stretch of a 10 mile race, it's difficult to rise up the spirits to try and run your fastest possible mile, but I figured I'd give it my best shot. I leaned forward, increased my cadence as much as I could, and felt myself surging forward at breakneck speed. I crossed the second mat for the flying mile, in a recorded 4:53, gaining some ground on the leading runner, but certainly not enough to have any impact on the outcome of the race.

The final mile was about getting to the finish line as smoothly and quickly as possible, without surrendering the 2nd spot, and I arrived back in the village of Dungarvan relieved to have maintained the position, crossing in under the finishing gantry in 58:13. Certainly not a time a great time by any standards (I ran 54:27 earlier in the year, and couple of low 57s on flatter courses), but I was looking for the 'race experience', without having to put in the eye-bulging race effort and that's exactly what I got. The front runner finished a deserving winner in 57:34 (a decent time on a tough course), and confessed afterwards that he struggled over the later miles and fully expected to be over-taken, but the results had been written in stone within the first 500m of the race, when he made the bold move to take a dominant position, so fair play to him for holding out for the well deserved win. Abhainn crossed the line shortly afterwards, confirming that he was indeed the singleted figure just behind me. It was great to get two Sli Cualann lads onto the podium, even if it was largely because of the marked absence of the front runners. While not a great personal performance, it was a fantastic race experience and if you'd offered me 10 miles at marathon pace before the start of the race, I'd have bitten your hand off for it. Hats off to the Gowaran AC team for another great race - certainly one that will have a continued presence on the race calendar (though I don't think I'll ever learn to love that hill).
    Summary: 10 miles in 58:13, @5:49/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

November 16-22: 66.1 Miles - The week of the gales
    Mostly continued the process of just ticking over. Not quite ready to introduce the idea of quality training just yet (the head's not in the right space yet), outside of some strides, but I find that between the easy runs and the hills, I'm not losing too much ground. Ideally I'd like to have jumped into ecoli's continuity sessions (which I found great last year), but it's been a long year with lots of miles and lots of sessions, and I feel that trying to hit some hard sessions and missing the mark would be pretty counter-productive, so I'll bide my time, jump into a few races for a bit of stimulus, and I'll know when the head is right. Speaking of races:

Sunday 22nd: Stook 10 mile
    A couple of days prior to the race, the easy mileage was getting to me, with feelings of guilt and 'blunting', so I decided I'd head down to Stook for the Gowran AC 10 mile race, which I'd really enjoyed when I'd last visited a few years back. I certainly wasn't in good racing shape, but truth be told, I wasn't really down to race, I came down to continue the pattern of only doing running that I enjoy, and this race fit the bill quite nicely. Two days earlier, I'd headed for the hills above Johnny Foxes in pursuit (and achievement) of finding some snow, but I could feel those hilly miles in the legs, but that mattered little. It didn't matter if I came 5th or 55th, I wanted some fast running and some racing fun. Great to catch up with Asimonov, who had been alerted in advance that Slogger Jogger and I were nearing Dungarvan and he was there to greet us as we headed towards the community centre.

Loads of Boards folks and running buddies and a few new acquaintances helped whittle away the minutes before the race and soon Abhainn and I were headed along the course for a couple of easy warm-up miles. A couple of the heavy-hitters had had to pull out of the race due to injury and forced absence, and I greeted the news with a little bit of remorse, as it meant I'd likely be closer to the front of the race, and would have to treat it a little more seriously than I'd planned. I just didn't think I was in the right mental shape to thrash myself in a race environment, but nothing for it but to see how the race shook out.

The same wonderful race start, with cigarette-smoking farmer astride his quad bike complete with firearm, ready to shoot anyone who stepped over the starting line, or announce the start of the race - whichever came first. Shots ringing out, we were off and immediately I was thrust backwards, in around 10th place amidst the usual initial race hustle. It was difficult to pick out the more competitive runners in the leading pack, but sizing them up, I felt there were about 3/4 contenders, based on body shape, shoe selection and breathing patterns. The early pace dropped off very rapidly though, and I soon found myself drifting to the front, with one of the contenders and Abhainn just slightly behind. Glancing at the watch, the pace had dropped off to something that was just way too slow as we hit the village, so I picked it up and was surprised to take an early lead. I was soon joined by the other runner and we ran side by side for the next few hundred metres. I thought I recognized him as the winner of the Roscommon 10 mile race, which would put him in comfortable 52/53 minute 10 mile shape, so when he surged ahead, I didn't respond at all and let him open a gap. Looking back, this was an absolutely key moment in the race. If it was a game of cards, he had just limped in with a small raise, and I responded by surrendering the game. In hindsight, I don't know if I would have had the fight in me to go shoulder to shoulder for the entire race (particularly as I assumed (incorrectly as it turned out) that he was a 52 minute 10 mile guy), but when he picked up the pace, I didn't respond and focused instead on maintaining second place.

Over the next few miles, the leader chased the leading car, I chased the leader, and I could hear other runners chasing me. I didn't want to look back, but could hear another runner just metres behind. Occasionally as we rounded a bend or a turn in the road, I'd steal a glance, but all I'd catch was the fact that the runner was wearing a singlet. I hoped it was Abhainn, as if anyone was to overtake me and knock me down a spot I'd want it to be him, but I couldn't be sure (and not knowing, probably helped spur me onwards).

The pace was neither ground-breaking, nor easy - it lay somewhere in between. But we all knew the hill lay before us, and the hill of Stook is without question, the most significant feature on the route. I had run well up the hill on my last visit, but had responded very poorly after cresting the hill and finished badly. This time, I hoped to do a little better on both sides of the slope, so eased back a little, just before the climb began in earnest. Meanwhile the leader had been widening the gap (probably 500m at the 5 mile mark), and on the twisty-turny route, I was no longer in touch. I could hear the next runner occasionally - at times he'd seem close, and then there'd be silence. The hill took it's toll, with the pace dropping initially to 6 minute mile and then to 6:50, before picking up a little as it evened out. There was still further climbing to be done, but I recover quickly and the brief flat ground gave me a moment to catch my breath and pick up the pace.

Finally, to the cheers and screams of some terrifying bystanders (Asimonov's family and friends in fearsome garb), I crested the hill, with a cup of water in my hand and blinded by the sudden appearance of the sun, I almost ran straight into the ditch, narrowly avoiding a prickly encounter. I hit the downhill with one goal in mind - to do some justice to the 'flying mile' this year. Hitting the final stretch of a 10 mile race, it's difficult to rise up the spirits to try and run your fastest possible mile, but I figured I'd give it my best shot. I leaned forward, increased my cadence as much as I could, and felt myself surging forward at breakneck speed. I crossed the second mat for the flying mile, in a recorded 4:53, gaining some ground on the leading runner, but certainly not enough to have any impact on the outcome of the race.

The final mile was about getting to the finish line as smoothly and quickly as possible, without surrendering the 2nd spot, and I arrived back in the village of Dungarvan relieved to have maintained the position, crossing in under the finishing gantry in 58:13. Certainly not a time a great time by any standards (I ran 54:27 earlier in the year, and couple of low 57s on flatter courses), but I was looking for the 'race experience', without having to put in the eye-bulging race effort and that's exactly what I got. The front runner finished a deserving winner in 57:34 (a decent time on a tough course), and confessed afterwards that he struggled over the later miles and fully expected to be over-taken, but the results had been written in stone within the first 500m of the race, when he made the bold move to take a dominant position, so fair play to him for holding out for the well deserved win. Abhainn crossed the line shortly afterwards, confirming that he was indeed the singleted figure just behind me. It was great to get two Sli Cualann lads onto the podium, even if it was largely because of the marked absence of the front runners. While not a great personal performance, it was a fantastic race experience and if you'd offered me 10 miles at marathon pace before the start of the race, I'd have bitten your hand off for it. Hats off to the Gowaran AC team for another great race - certainly one that will have a continued presence on the race calendar (though I don't think I'll ever learn to love that hill).
    Summary: 10 miles in 58:13, @5:49/mile.

there were about 3/4 contenders, based on body shape, shoe selection and breathing patterns.

This used to be my approach to dating :)

All the best for 2016, you'd an impressive 2015

TbL

there were about 3/4 contenders, based on body shape, shoe selection and breathing patterns.

This used to be my approach to dating :)
    LOL. I set that one up for you, just to see if you were still breathing!
    (not really!).

The insignificant Irishman in Iten
    So, what was it that brought me to Kenya? Was it the altitude? The hope of achieving the killer PB? The desire to give my training a much-needed jump start? Not really any of these things. It was the spirit of adventure - the opportunity of an enriching life experience. While my race results this year haven t set the world on fire, I am at least in pretty good shape (15:52 5k, 33:40 10k, 54:40 10 mile). This is the kind of trip I would make only if I was in suitable shape to do it justice. I don t know what next year may bring, so when the opportunity arose to join a group of Irish runners headed for two weeks of high altitude training in Kenya, I jumped at the opportunity, as opportunity comes once in a lifetime, and as the song goes you better move yourself

When I say I jumped at the chance, that doesn t mean it didn t get careful consideration. I introduced the idea to my better half, firstly just dipping one toe in the water to watch the ripples and then later diving head-first to see if I d bellyflop. I m so lucky to be married to such an enthusiastic and understanding partner, who could look beyond the solo break and realize that this trip was not simply a selfish holiday, but rather a life experience. Emer immediately gave me two thumbs up and the much-needed encoragement I needed, so that I could go ahead and start committing to the trip with only a reasonable and expected amount of guilt!

I know it takes a lot more than two weeks at altitude to realize any kind of significant gains, so my goals were loftier than that. I wanted to experience Iten. I wanted to see how these warriors of the road, track and field lived, how they trained, where they trained, where they came from and what they became. I wanted to train (if only briefly) like these athletes, sample their philosophy and live their life-style; albeit with the creature comforts of three plentiful cooked meals a day, hot showers and wiifi. I could lie and say that I planned to live like the Kenyans, but that would be far from the truth. But I have lived amonsgt the Kenyans, and despite the great divide in terms of our backgrounds and socio-economic classes, the Kenyans have been quick to embrace, quick to smile and quick to welcome. Where we embrace stuff , the Kenyans embrace life. They take joy in what they have, rather than what they do not. Despite all of our differences, they recognize that we have one significant thing in common - we are here to train. Sure, we ll take photos, visit local lankmarks and ooh and aah at this or that runner s house that achievement built, but the underlying reason for the trip is the running. Those who have organized this trip and those who have received us (in Lornah Kiplagat s High Altitude Training Centre on the outskirts of Iten) have all helped to set the tone and the expectation - we re here to run. We may visit some places in Iten and the surroundings between runs, but these things are just the fluff. We may not become efficient streamlined runners gliding effortlessly up and down the red clay trails that run parallel to the roads; we may never stand on a podium or touch a winner s medal, but we are trying to better ourselves and this is the other thing that we have in common. To look at the Kenyan runners (and it is impossible to miss them, as even during a peak-week of worldwide racing they are everywhere) and say that they run to overcome poverty seems a huge over-simplification, Before they compete to solicit the attention of the agents, before their dreams shift to international marathons and bulging prize purses, before even they dream of representing their country, their motivations must surely overlap with our own - improvement; being better at running today, than we were yesterday.

So, what was it that brought me to Kenya? A car trip, three flights, and a crazy drive in a minibus, from Eldoret to Iten. I ve started reading Ardrahan Finn s book running with the Kenyans and he does a wonderful job of describing the road from Eldoret to Iten, and it seems that little has changed in the intervening years. One of my other goals was to experience life in Iten before it finally gets sucked up and transformed by Western culture (and yes, I get the irony that I m very much part of the problem), but still I wanted to experience it before it hit that point of no return, where the wifi signal is good enough, that the children no longer have a desire to spend time outdoors. Well, I had little to worry about. While the Western signs and trappings of progress are abundantly clear and ever-present, still, life here seems extremely alien to us and the Kenyans rejoice in their simple lives, adopting only those trappings that are necessary to allow them to compete in this technology dominated world. Mobile phones among athletes are common-place, while diets are extremely simple. Athletes seem to wear the same clothing as athletes of any other nation, yet private transportation is largely unheard of (except among the most successful and wealthy of athletes). Success is measured in dedication and dedication means a life of running, eating, sleeping, and strengthening. There is little room for anything else, and this is what we have come to experience.

My suitcase never arrived after our second flight landed in Nairobi, and so for a couple of days, I had to make do with borrowed clothes, borrowed suntan lotion and bug-spray and living off the geneoristy of those others of a similar size in our travelling party. It was only two days later when I went through an airport ordeal in order to get all of my stuff back that I realized that I didn t need so much of what I had brought. My packing did not embrace the philosophy of the trip. Sure, I was glad of my toothbrush and some clean socks, but after a couple of days here, the bluetooth speaker, the comfortable slippers and the bars of chocolate all seem a little at odds with the philosophy of the trip. Run, eat, sleep, strength, repeat. That s what we re here for.

For the next time: The crew, Lornah s camp, the food, and running with the Kenyans children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Cool. You're a lucky man to be able to experience something like that.

If you want to experience something similar closer to home, I can organise a two week camp in the Bogger heartland :)

Looking forward to the next instalment

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'm sure many here are delighted to see you capture the journey here in writing.
    Having read Ardrahan Finns book and listened to him on MT, I'm intrigued to find out if what he wrote was slightly romanticised or is 'life' that 'simple'.
    Is there a trip to Brother Colm on the agenda?

No doubt you'll enjoy the experience - how long are you there for?

I'm sure many here are delighted to see you capture the journey here in writing.
    Having read Ardrahan Finns book and listened to him on MT, I'm intrigued to find out if what he wrote was slightly romanticised or is 'life' that 'simple'.
    Is there a trip to Brother Colm on the agenda?

No doubt you'll enjoy the experience - how long are you there for?

From the sounds of this, Brother Colm, David Rudisha and Asbel Kiprop do be in fairly regular attendance down at Lornah's track. Would be immense to see them in action.

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2016/05/week-worlds-best-miler-exclusive-look-asbel-kiprops-last-two-workouts-pre-classic/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

From the sounds of this, Brother Colm, David Rudisha and Asbel Kiprop do be in fairly regular attendance down at Lornah's track. Would be immense to see them in action.

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2016/05/week-worlds-best-miler-exclusive-look-asbel-kiprops-last-two-workouts-pre-classic/

Man, oh man. Reading those workouts over breakfast on a Monday morning. Have you tried the Kiprop ones yet KU??

(Sorry for going on a slight tangent)

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    Man, oh man. Reading those workouts over breakfast on a Monday morning. Have you tried the Kiprop ones yet KU??

(Sorry for going on a slight tangent)

I don't think I've ever hit 1200 at my intended race pace in an actual race so don't think I'll be attempting it in training :). Some of those splits are just incredible though. He's in a league of his own these days.

Advertisement