Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cheers RR. Unfortunately there's no value to pulling out, as they don't allow you to defer to the following year. They just guarantee you a place in the next marathon(you still forfeit your fee, and have to pay again). I checked this out ages ago when things first started to go wrong. I'm sure I'll be back for it next year, unless I can get into one of the majors (hopefully Boston).

I'm in a similar position to yourself. I've got what is possibly my last pre-Edinburgh physio session on Tuesday, I've not run since last Saturday and that was really painful.
    Sorry to hear that your problems are persisting. Would you consider running it at a sub-optimal pace, or is it all or nothing? No point in running if you're still in some pain. The potential injury could last a lot longer than your memory of the race. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sorry to hear that your problems are persisting. Would you consider running it at a sub-optimal pace, or is it all or nothing? No point in running if you're still in some pain. The potential injury could last a lot longer than your memory of the race. :(

If i run it now, well if I recover enough to run it I won't be running it at marathon pace anyway. In my mind I've not run enough in the last two weeks to give it my best shot. Now it's a battle of whether to run it and hope for the best or risk a longer term injury as even if I feel alright chances are I won't have fully recovered and risk a confidence destroying time. I've about 5% chance of making the start line, I'm going to try running on grass tonight, have another sports massage on Tuesday. If I want to try this 100 miler in Connemara or go for a sub 3:40 in Dublin/New York I have to be sensible with this. :( Sadly because my tagalongers were following me to Edinburgh I'm going to have to go anyway, I don't mind losing my money for the flights but they'd all lose theirs aswell...the men with Scottish accents might soften the blow of missing out. :)

the men with Scottish accents might soften the blow of missing out. :)
    There's only one Sean Connery, so you'll all have to share. :)
    I hope you make it to the finish line, intact, but at least if you don't, there are worse cities to spend a weekend (that's my consolation, and I'm sticking to it!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good call on Edinburgh. In a way its probably better that your hand was forced, because if it was marginal you probably would have run it - and that could have set you back a long way for Berlin. Enjoy the break, looking forward to some more stat heavy posts soon!

• Advertisement

asimonov wrote: »
    In a way its probably better that your hand was forced, because if it was marginal you probably would have run it - and that could have set you back a long way for Berlin. Enjoy the break, looking forward to some more stat heavy posts soon!
    You're right, but there's no convincing someone who was really hoping to mash their pb. It'll just have to wait!

Here's some facts and statistics to keep you going:
    • The liquid inside young coconuts can be used as a substitute for Blood plasma.
    • You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.
    • Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty (50) years of age or older.
    • American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one (1) olive from each salad served in first-class.
    • Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
    • Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.
    • Snails have 14175 teeth laid along 135 rows on their tongue.
    • A butterfly has 12,000 eyes.
    • Dolphins sleep with 1 eye open.
    ;)

Yesterday: Second swimming lesson. Good progress, but for the second time running I experienced cramps in my calf muscles. Any suggestions? Could this be due to eating a meal within an hour of swimming, or is this just a wives' tail? As a poor swimmer, should I try and do two or three sessions a week? (One lesson and one or two practice sessions).

Also cycling: What sort of terrain should I be trying to cover? Flat? Rolling hills? steep climbs? Or just a random mixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Yesterday: Second swimming lesson. Good progress, but for the second time running I experienced cramps in my calf muscles. Any suggestions? Could this be due to eating a meal within an hour of swimming, or is this just a wives' tail? As a poor swimmer, should I try and do two or three sessions a week? (One lesson and one or two practice sessions).

Also cycling: What sort of terrain should I be trying to cover? Flat? Rolling hills? steep climbs? Or just a random mixture?

so many questions related to improving your swimimng and cycling and you a runner , really no interest in doing a triathlons ?!;)
    you need to try to get into the pool at least 3 times a week to see marked improvement
    Hills are really good for building up your cycle , keep the rpm high 85-90
    depending on what your aiming for with the cycle , you should try and get a cycle in thats longer than the aimed distance eg like for a 25km cycle you should get in a cycle in the week of 40km
    there are lots here who can give you better advice but hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

You're right, but there's no convincing someone who was really hoping to mash their pb. It'll just have to wait!

;) b*stards

Seres wrote: »
    so many questions related to improving your swimimng and cycling and you a runner , really no interest in doing a triathlons ?!;)
    you need to try to get into the pool at least 3 times a week to see marked improvement
    Hills are really good for building up your cycle , keep the rpm high 85-90
    depending on what your aiming for with the cycle , you should try and get a cycle in thats longer than the aimed distance eg like for a 25km cycle you should get in a cycle in the week of 40km
    there are lots here who can give you better advice but hope this helps :)
    Thanks Seres. Trust me, any time in the water at all will result in a marked improvement! But at the moment (well from next week anyway!) I can afford the time to go three times a week, so I'll try and give it a go.

Theoretically speaking, if I was ever to do a triathlon, it'd be a sprint (purely theoretically speaking, you understand!), so most of my cycles are 20+ kms anyway. When I'm back to running, should I consider doing a short run after completing a cycle? Any suggestions of where I can find a training program (for a friend). ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Thanks Seres. Trust me, any time in the water at all will result in a marked improvement! But at the moment (well from next week anyway!) I can afford the time to go three times a week, so I'll try and give it a go.

Theoretically speaking, if I was ever to do a triathlon, it'd be a sprint (purely theoretically speaking, you understand!), so most of my cycles are 20+ kms anyway. When I'm back to running, should I consider doing a short run after completing a cycle? Any suggestions of where I can find a training program (for a friend). ;)
    put in a thread in the main forum and i am sure you will get loads of sites to get a training program , personally i never really found any of the beginner ones any good , i always found them a bit too basic , they just seem to build you up to cover the distance really , and dont take into account your personal strenghts and the more advanced ones you have to pay .
    I would not worry too much about brick sessions , i think if you do one run off the bike every two weeks or so you will be fine ,your run is strong , you will be surprised at how strong your run is against triathletes , its great :D, sure the run for a sprint is only 5k :cool:

Oh tell your friend lough key sprint tri( roscommon) is on the start of sep , registration open in a couple of weeks , he would have loads of time to prepare :)

Seres wrote: »
    Oh tell your friend lough key sprint tri( roscommon) is on the start of sep , registration open in a couple of weeks , he would have loads of time to prepare :)
    My buddie's already heard of Lough Key, and would love to do it, if he can get his (or her) swimming in order. :)

• The liquid inside young coconuts can be used as a substitute for Blood plasma.
    • You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.
    • Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty (50) years of age or older.
    • American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one (1) olive from each salad served in first-class.
    • Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.
    • Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.
    • Snails have 14175 teeth laid along 135 rows on their tongue.
    • A butterfly has 12,000 eyes.
    ;)

They are nine (9) top-class facts, they'd probably get you out of any sticky situation. Totally off-topic, have you geo-cached (sp?) yet?

They are nine (9) top-class facts, they'd probably get you out of any sticky situation. Totally off-topic, have you geo-cached (sp?) yet?
    I'm a GPS (well, generally anything electronic!) enthusiast (have three or four devices capable of interpreting GPS satellite signals), and have contemplated geo-caching on many occasions, but it always just seemed too artificial (like hide and seek for big people). I have read some descriptions of caches in my locality, and would know exactly where they are (and once found one by accident), but wouldn't go to the trouble of finding them. I'd rather go to this site: http://www.megalithomania.com/ find some historic sites, and go visit them on foot, either running, or walking with the kids. I'm not a history buff either, I just have an appreciation for really old things. :)

Strange question!

I'm a GPS (well, generally anything electronic!) enthusiast (have three or four devices capable of interpreting GPS satellite signals), and have contemplated geo-caching on many occasions, but it always just seemed too artificial (like hide and seek for big people). I have read some descriptions of caches in my locality, and would know exactly where they are (and once found one by accident), but wouldn't go to the trouble of finding them. I'd rather go to this site: http://www.megalithomania.com/ find some historic sites, and go visit them on foot, either running, or walking with the kids. I'm not a history buff either, I just have an appreciation for really old things. :)

Strange question!

i guessed from irelandbygps and general forerunner knowledge that you were gps literate and i've have read a bit about caching in the press, so you seemed a likely early adopter (or rejector)...:)

Irelandbygps.com is actually just a huge money earner, rather than a hobby. I've made $24.43 from it, over the last 3 years. :D Hosting and domain costs are around $76 per year. This is why I'm not rich and can't afford a nice triathlon bike everyday bike.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot.. Exercise stuff:
    Sunday: 5 mile hike from Crone Wood over Powerscourt Waterfall, then climbed down by the side of the Waterfall and back to Crone Wood (photos here, if anyone's bored)
    Monday: Swimming Lesson - 1 Hour.

Really must get out and do more. :)

Irelandbygps.com is actually just a huge money earner, rather than a hobby. I've made $24.43 from it, over the last 3 years. :D Hosting and domain costs are around $76 per year.

Thats just the "pre-profit" phase, nothing to worry about. I suggest you get some VC funding and throw a large party, should work;).

Thats just the "pre-profit" phase, nothing to worry about. I suggest you get some VC funding and throw a large party, should work;).
    Yay! Internet boom 2.0!

Yay! Internet boom 2.0!

i'm holding out for 3.0, it'll be huge!

Are your swimming lessons in a class?

Yes, they are. I'm the third class up from the non-swimmers, so have a lot of work to do if I ever want to be able to do a tri swim across a lake. I'm hoping to be able to get a few practice sessions every week from next week (this week is all study/exams/interviews). I really am a bad swimmer. Have you done any tris yourself?

The weather is that good in Dublin today, I'm considering going for a light trot, just to see how the recovery's going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Good luck with the lessons. Hope your progress is better than mine. I'm at week 14 of a 10 week "improvers" programme aimed at getting me through a triathlon two weeks ago. Had to go back for another round as I still can't swim 50m front crawl! Thank goodness they don't disqualify for breaststroke. I suspect I should have overruled the instructor and put myself in the advanced class the second time round. I can't see how repeatedly swimming 10m out and back while the instructor looks at the weaker students will improve things. My backstroke has come on a little, though and I managed a few strokes of butterfly a few weeks back, not that I care about either.

Yep, that's exactly where I am. At the start of one of those improvers programs doing 10m widths. That backstroke will really stand to you, for your next triathlon. :)

I don't know if I'll make enough progress to tackle a tri at the end of the summer, but at least it's going in the right direction. I've always wanted to be a better swimmer anyway, so result (eventually).

Today: 5 very very slow miles (50 mins), with the OH, in Cabinteely Park on a nice sunny evening. The run doesn't seem to have introduced any new injuries or niggles, so maybe there's some silver dust in that there cloud. My better half was commenting that I'm sliding my left leg, and not raising it up properly at all on the back kick, so I guess this is what I need to work on.

Weekend: Ran another 5 miles around Holyrood Park in Edinburgh. What a spectacular place to run. Simply incredible. Great hills, wonderful views, grass to run on everywhere, tracks if you need them, nice hill-climbing trails.. This place has everything. Lucky Scottish feckers. Very jealous! Ran with the OH, so the pace was very slow, which suited me just fine, given the heat and injury. Also managed three swims over the weekend (courtesy of the hotel pool). Small improvement in the swimming, but still not clicking perfectly. Also did approximately another 40 miles in touristing, visiting pubs, and shopping. Exhaustive. :)

Summary: 5 Miles in 55 mins.

Today:
    Weights
    Core Strength - 20 repetitions
    Foam Roller
    Was able to get through all of the exercises, for the first time in around 6 weeks, so hopefully that's a sign of a start of a recovery.

Five miles in the sunshine on the grass in the park, followed by another mile barefoot on the grass. It's funny, my knee doesn't really give me any trouble when running barefoot at all, so the last mile was a lot quicker - 7:19, overall average 8:03.

Summary: 6 sunny miles in 48 minutes.

Today: 4 miles this evening, just to break away from the damn laptop, which seems to be surgically attached these days. Calf completely knotted, so need to organize another physio session. Still, the speed was up a bit, and it was good just to get out, with other commitments messing up my running diary!

Summary: 4 miles in 30mins. Can't seem to find my HRM. May have stayed in Edinburgh.

Today: 21km cycle, around Carrigologan and Killegar, before returning to Rathmichael. Some lovely hill climbs. The horsey-ladies were laughing at me as I struggled up the hill! Next time I'm bringing a horse!

Summary: 21 hilly kms in an hour.

Today: 10 hilly mile loop around Carigologan. Glad to say that the cardio system hasn't taken too much of a beating. Still found the hills easy enough. Injury still there, but certainly showing signs of improvement. Calf muscle still knotted up though. Back to Phyisio in the morning. A lovely run around country lanes. Glad to be running a bit again.

Summary: 10 miles in 1:20.

Total for week:
    Running: 25 miles (4 sessions)
    Cycling: 21kms (1)
    Swimming: 75 mins (2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good to see you running again KC. Hopefully thats a sign of the injury fading.

• Advertisement

Yesterday: Back at physio again, for some more man-tears. Then swimming last night, with another good improvement. Getting better every day.

Today:
    Weights - 20 reps x 5
    Core strength - 20 reps x 15
    Physio bound me to only a 20 minute easy run today, so headed off with the young fella to the local park. We covered 2.28 miles in 20 minutes in relaxed form.
    Summary: 2.28 miles.

Tossing around the idea of doing the scalp IMRA race tomorrow, as at around 33:37 minutes (last year) it's short enough. Is the route the same? Here's me in the scalp race last year.

Advertisement