Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

M_ark wrote: »
    Yet another person starting the engineering course here! Hello :)
    Just wondering if anyone could tell me if we will need books and equipment from the first day? Like we have one of the drawing lectures on Monday but I not only don't have any of the stuff but I also don't really have a clue as to what we need...

Did it last year... From what I can remember I had a drawing lecture on my first day. Sure I could even probably send you the exact same lecture she is going to give you! :P

You won't need anything for that lecture other than a pen and pad. It would be advisable to bring in some money too... There will be a rush after college to go and get a T-square and some rulers. Take down what you need and head over to reids on nassau street or go over to easons on O'Connell St. They will have what you need.

Another item that they don't really mention in the lecture is that you will need masking tape... Very important! :P

From what I can remember, you will not need the stuff until Wednesday.

Hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I have the calculus book for sale and the second year liner algebra book as well. Also Silberberg's Chemistry, it's third edition though so I'll let that go for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dearlandlord

How much for the calculus book?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Hey,

Was just browsing the Engineering forum and someone was asking advice about whether to go to TCD or UL. There was a bit of a discussion on Trinity's focus on practical engineering and sombody said that if you look at the degree awarded it gives a clue to the level of practicality with BEng being high Practicality and BSc less and our BAI actually equals a BSc not a BEng...I told him he was wrong...he is wrong right????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Yep, completely as far as i know, BAI is latin, bachelorete in arte ingeniour or something like that, roughly translated, bachelor in art of engineering, or BEng for short

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

bradyle wrote: »
    Hey,

Was just browsing the Engineering forum and someone was asking advice about whether to go to TCD or UL. There was a bit of a discussion on Trinity's focus on practical engineering and sombody said that if you look at the degree awarded it gives a clue to the level of practicality with BEng being high Practicality and BSc less and our BAI actually equals a BSc not a BEng...I told him he was wrong...he is wrong right????

How do you know I'm a he?

As far as I can remember it was Fitzy or Rice that told me it is the equivalent to a BSc when I asked what it is in real life. The reason they gave me was the fact that it is a theoretical degree we do with no real in depth hands on experience. If you look at most other Uni's giving B.Eng the majority incorporate some sort of placement.

I know what B.A.I translates to but it is still confusing to explain to prospective students and employers. The only way I get around being asked is it an arts degree is by saying its as much an arts degree as the BA you get awarded in Oxbridge for engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

It's just tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

Generally (apart from in computing) a B.Eng rather than a B.Sc is required to become a chartered engineer. The BAI is accredited in this way and is thus equivalent to a B.Eng.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Equium wrote: »
    Generally (apart from in computing) a B.Eng rather than a B.Sc is required to become a chartered engineer. The BAI is accredited in this way and is thus equivalent to a B.Eng.

You are better off working off this list.

It has been covered many, many times on boards, but a Masters is required for accreditation for those entering now. Even before then there were a good few BEng's that were not accredited.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

C.D. wrote: »
    You are better off working off this list.

It has been covered many, many times on boards, but a Masters is required for accreditation for those entering now. Even before then there were a good few BEng's that were not accredited.

I was working off that list, which as you stated is in many ways irrelevant due to the new EI accreditation requirements. Thankfully I'm in final year though, and thus part of the last group of gradutates who don't explicity require a Master's to become Chartered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I was at the civil, structural and environmental engineering talk today at the opening. Just wondering, if I'm getting b1s in HL maths and A1s in physics, is that good enough to do engineering? I did a bit of applied maths last year but I wasn't great at it. I don't like chemistry either. Would that say engineering would be a bad choice for me? Also, whats the gender balance like?

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I was at the civil, structural and environmental engineering talk today at the opening. Just wondering, if I'm getting b1s in HL maths and A1s in physics, is that good enough to do engineering? I did a bit of applied maths last year but I wasn't great at it. I don't like chemistry either. Would that say engineering would be a bad choice for me? Also, whats the gender balance like?

B1's in Maths are good to have but mean nothing as far as the engineering course is concerned. As long as you get above the HC3 that is required to get into the course you are more than capable of doing the course. However you need to work. I know people who got an A in maths for the leaving, took their foot off the pedal and failed his maths exam in the summer.

As far as Chemistry is concerned, all you have to do is pass the Chemistry part of first year. I didn't like it at all and picked up 60% at summer. Am glad that it is over :P
    Don't worry about it. It is not tough at all.

Gender balance ? :P EDIT: I'm not sure if you're male or female but ... (You'll have to fight for your women but they are there)....

All-in-all, you are more than capable to do Engineering as far as you work hard when you get into the course. College isn't easy, no matter what you do, however I would strongly recommend Engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭kthnxbai

If you're getting those grades you should be more than capable of engineering. I just finished engineering last year. Now, granted I did computer engineering in the end, so I didn't do as much applied maths type stuff, but I didn't have applied maths and I did just fine.

Realistically, if you're doing well in maths and physics I don't see why you couldn't manage applied maths... I wouldn't worry too much about the chemistry. Yeah, there's a chemistry course in first year, but you'd just have to put up with it... There'll always be classes you don't like. There's a chemistry course that's run before the start of first year if you feel you need to catch up a bit.
    I didn't do applied maths for LC and I did just fine.

Gender balance isn't actually too bad. I think in my year it was maybe 20% girls? I'm not entirely sure. But it's not like you'd be the only girl in the class. Unless you do computer engineering :p

I think a good few girls did civil and mechanical in my year. And there was a decent amount between electronics and computers given the size of the class.

You said you went to the civil talk. You know that it's general engineering for the first two years. So you'll do a bit of everything. Just worth keeping in mind I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Good grade in maths is essential, several years of maths are ahead of you and if you are not comfortable with integration, differentiation, sequences and series and probability you will hit a painful wall. I'd say B2 minimum to be safe

Physics is important and will make certain courses much easier, A1 and you are laughing

Chemistry is first year only, good news is a lot of the stuff on the LC course is fudged to make it simpler so you have an advantage of sorts to start clean. However being confident in lab procedures will save you hours and ensure better results. There is a crash course offered the week before first year registration to help those who didn't do chemistry at leaving cert level.

Expect no more than 25-30% of the class to be female

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

This all sounds reasonably positive! I got like c2s in Applied Maths, but we only had an hour a week of class and I never had time to study it (It was an 8th subject at the time).
    I'm a girl but 20-35% girls isn't so bad, then there's always societies. Did you guys have time for societies? I know the course has a lot of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Krolchatka

This all sounds reasonably positive! I got like c2s in Applied Maths, but we only had an hour a week of class and I never had time to study it (It was an 8th subject at the time).
    I'm a girl but 20-35% girls isn't so bad, then there's always societies. Did you guys have time for societies? I know the course has a lot of hours.

I'm in first year Engineering and quiet frankly you sometimes don't have time for lectures but you ALWAYS have time for societies.

Did you guys have time for societies? I know the course has a lot of hours.

You always have time for societies! ;)

Generally if you are into sports, then they would be the best bet. The training for these are on in the evening which is perfect for your time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Krolchatka wrote: »
    I'm in first year Engineering and quiet frankly you sometimes don't have time for lectures but you ALWAYS have time for societies.

So true...

I'm in SF now, and I think our class is around 13-15% girls. You'll have friends outside your class too so it's not bad.
    I didn't do Chemistry for the Leaving Cert and I thought it was alright with a bit of work. Ended up being my highest result despite me thinking that I was going to fail it!

Did you like Applied Maths? The mechanics side of things is just an extension of what is covered in Applied Maths, so if you were happy enough with the subject you'll be grand. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 the.hcd

hey all,
    15 years or so (yes I got the calc out) after graduation I still have 2E2 Florides nightmares..

http://xkcd.com/557/

Can anyone post up the answers to the repeat exam (applied maths) there's this one question about a train, its speed, and the angle of the rain's track on the window that just can 't possibly be answered by simple vector prods..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Does anyone know if Hitesh Tewari gives an online copy of the notes for 3D2? (computer networks, and mostly out of curiosity)? Also, if anyone had a list of the notes that Anil Kokaram/David Corrigan gave out for 3C1 It'd be mucho appreciated.(this one is because I think I'm missing a set or two).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Groinshot wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Hitesh Tewari gives an online copy of the notes for 3D2? (computer networks, and mostly out of curiosity)?
    Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LeonIRL2

So what's new in the TCD engineering realm these days? SSDD?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SasQuatch88

Hey guys, first time posting on this section of boards.

I'm just wondering if maths is heavily focused on in the Computer Engineering Degree?
    I certainly know my way around electronics and know what makes them tick,
    but maths is not my strong suit.
    I finished up a HND in Games design and interactive entertainment about 2 years ago and this course tickled my fancy..
    Any info would be great.

**Just a side note: I didnt do great in my leaving cert but would still love to give this course a shot,
    but applications for mature students are closed for this year, could i be taken in on the basis of my HND results or Leaving cert?

Any info regarding either question would be greatly appreciated..
    Cheers
    Sasquatch

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

To get to the point where you get to choose computer engineering you're going to have to do 2 years undenominated with both years containing a calculus and an algebra module...or they did when I went, and even when you choose in 3rd year you still need to do maths, and I'm pretty sure its it's 2 modules worth again.

If you're really not strong in maths would you maybe consider going down the computer science instead of computer engineering route? From what friends say I think they need a much lower level of maths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

bradyle wrote: »
    To get to the point where you get to choose computer engineering you're going to have to do 2 years undenominated with both years containing a calculus and an algebra module...or they did when I went, and even when you choose in 3rd year you still need to do maths, and I'm pretty sure its it's 2 modules worth again.
    Almost bang on. Currently, 2 years of a general, with calculus and Linear algebra each year, then third year contains either maths or "Engineering Analysis", no matter what stream you choose.
    Also, if you struggle with math, you'll struggle with some of the Computer Engineering courses(mainly Telecommunications, Probability, Signals & Systems - This one's particularly nasty so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

Hey any one in 3rd year now, Do you have last year's 2e4 (solids and structures) paper by any chance? Dr Bidisha Gosh's part confuses me a lot and i would like to see how she asks questions. Thanks in advance!
    P.s how does one study for this subject

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭D_D

Just googling Bidisha Ghosh gave me this page...

http://www.tcd.ie/civileng/Staff/Bidisha.Ghosh/Solids%20&%20Structures/

It has papers/tutorials with solutions...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

D_D wrote: »
    Just googling Bidisha Ghosh gave me this page...

http://www.tcd.ie/civileng/Staff/Bidisha.Ghosh/Solids%20&%20Structures/

It has papers/tutorials with solutions...
    yeah she gave us that link, but that exam paper was not hers, and to any one who did it last year was it similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Anyone know any good methods/places to sell on engineering books? I could really do with reclaiming some shelf space in my room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 rockriver

Does anyone know if the free laptop scheme for 3rd year D & CD students is continuing this year?

Advertisement