Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭tehPOK

zoom! wrote: »
    Did the JF have an experiment today?
    Yeah one of the groups had physics experiments.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

I'm assuming it was group A?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I'm assuming it was group A?

Yeah.

I had the convex lens experiment. I asked the assistant girl a question. She talked and talked but still avoided giving a proper answer!

No more labs for the week though! =]

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

Ok, I thought I was miss reading but after the last few posts I have to ask.

Although we (jf) have the like a lab slot a day, is it really only once, or twice, a week we have them?

Then if I'm reading right, is group B's only lab on Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

patrick151 wrote: »
    Ok, I thought I was miss reading but after the last few posts I have to ask.

Although we (jf) have the like a lab slot a day, is it really only once, or twice, a week we have them?

Then if I'm reading right, is group B's only lab on Thursday?

Did you even go to your course meeting? Find out what group you're in, (B4 or something) and check the lab timetable that you get in the big red handbook (it was red last year) if you have a lab written in your lab group on ay particular day, youhave a lab., if you don't, you don't. Not that difficult...

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if any of the JF tutorials are on tomorrow?

Don't think there are tutorials tomorrow, but I'm not 100%

Cheers, sure I'll risk not going...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Don't think there are tutorials tomorrow, but I'm not 100%

Why aren't there tutorials tomorrow?
    :confused:
    So confusing >_<

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Why aren't there tutorials tomorrow?
    :confused:
    So confusing >_<
    Probably be cause you haven't covered anything yet.

Check with your lecturer though.

• Advertisement

I cannot remember any of the maths or applied maths I did last year :( Gonna have to go back to Chapter 1 this weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Laserhead

Same as man, those mechanics tutorial exercises had me totally lost...

So does anyone know when or where we have to hand in our jf lab reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

You're usually told in there, but a good guess would be a week after you've done the lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

3e3, ehhhh...
    What is the probability that I would've been better off picking ST2004? (State any assumptions made). :pac:
    It's not so much the material, as it is... well, (no name) there's a bit of a tense and uncomfortable atmosphere in the lectures/tutorials, and I get the feeling the exam is gonna be pretty tough. Anyone else feel/felt this or am I off the mark here? Anyone know what the failure rate or average mark is for 3e3? I think it'd be a bit late to be switching now, anyways. I think I''m stuck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

You'd be hardpushed to get a good comparison, seeing as noone has sat both, but ST2004 is probably the easier of the 2, what the lecturer not having it in for you...

That said, it's still one of the harder courses in CDD 1st semester

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I feel like I'm writing a lot and not taking any of it in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

TheAmateur wrote: »
    3e3, ehhhh...
    What is the probability that I would've been better off picking ST2004? (State any assumptions made). :pac:
    It's not so much the material, as it is... well, (no name) there's a bit of a tense and uncomfortable atmosphere in the lectures/tutorials, and I get the feeling the exam is gonna be pretty tough. Anyone else feel/felt this or am I off the mark here? Anyone know what the failure rate or average mark is for 3e3? I think it'd be a bit late to be switching now, anyways. I think I''m stuck with it.
    24 people sat the summer paper.
    4 people got a I.
    2 people got a II.1.
    2 people got a II.2.
    6 people got a III.
    6 people failed (26-39%).
    3 people got an F.
    Average grade 45.83% *

9 people sat the supplemental paper.
    0 people got a I.
    0 people got a II.1.
    1 people got a II.2.
    3 people got a III.
    4 people failed (26-39%).
    1 people got an F.
    Average grade 37.89% *

* Most likely lower than this: No mark given for an F, 25% used for computing average in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

*poos pants*

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Jonathan wrote: »
    Average grade 45.83% *
    Oh lawd...
    * Most likely lower than this: No mark given for an F, 25% used for computing average in this case.
    OH LAWD!!!
    :eek::eek::eek:

Any advice for increasing the odds of passing? Any useful books or resources out there? Thanks a million for the replies btw:).

• Advertisement

TheAmateur wrote: »
    Oh lawd...

OH LAWD!!!
    :eek::eek::eek:

Any advice for increasing the odds of passing? Any useful books or resources out there? Thanks a million for the replies btw:).
    Buy Leon-Garcia or one of the other recommended texts, as they are not S-LEN. I also found Probability For Dummys rather useful.

Be able to do all the tutorial problems. They might seem rather difficult at the time, but the exam paper is harder again so be aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Protip.

In the Hamilton computer room mac lab they have just one printer that does b/w and colour and duplex printing. Noticed today that if you send a document that has colour in it to prn_black the printer will still print the colour but only charge you €0.05 (the b/w rate). I'm going to spend the 15c I saved on so much nice stuff! Hell yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Foowiiyay. Teetha.

It's like I'm in Cork again.

Baza210 wrote: »
    Foowiiyay. Teetha.

It's like I'm in Cork again.

Delta delta sub delta.

devinejay wrote: »
    Protip.

In the Hamilton computer room mac lab they have just one printer that does b/w and colour and duplex printing. Noticed today that if you send a document that has colour in it to prn_black the printer will still print the colour but only charge you €0.05 (the b/w rate). I'm going to spend the 15c I saved on so much nice stuff! Hell yeah.
    Does your department offer free printing?

I don't mind the foowiiyay too much cause it's probably closer to the actual french pronunciation than what most people would say, but yes he does indeed have a cork accent.

I have a feeling that anyone in the class for whom English was their second language, he would be much harder to understand than Luca. When I was travelling we got that a lot. Consequently, travel tip - no need to speak ás gaeilge to hide what your saying from those around when they can't understand what you're saying when you're speaking english anyway.

Re: Jonathan

As far as I know it does, although from what I hear paper can be scarce.

devinejay wrote: »
    Re: Jonathan

As far as I know it does, although from what I hear paper can be scare.
    Keep a ream of paper in the locker. Can be a life saver when assignments are due and the printers are broken. <a href="{smilies}/smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smilie" smilieid="9" class="inlineimg" />

Keep a ream of paper in the locker. Can be a life saver when assignments are due and the printers are broken. <a href="http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif&quot; border="0" alt="" title="Smilie" smilieid="9" class="inlineimg" />

I was thinking about doing that alright, a ream of paper is only around a fiver right?

Probably even less in Reads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

What's the programming like for third year Computer Engineers? I'm currently in SF CS and considering if maybe a transfer next year is possible at all? I'm looking for a course with a bit more emphasis on lower level and embedded programming :o .

Thanks.

Advertisement