Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Jonathan wrote: »
    Probably even less in Reads.

Brilliant. I love going to Reads these days. They seem to have hired a load of really good looking Spanish girls over the summer. Unfortunately there's only so many times I can go in and browse for twenty minutes then buy a HB pencil. Plus I don't know where I'm going to put all these HB pencils. But a ream of paper!?! They'll never see it coming. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

boblong wrote: »
    What's the programming like for third year Computer Engineers? I'm currently in SF CS and considering if maybe a transfer next year is possible at all? I'm looking for a course with a bit more emphasis on lower level and embedded programming :o .

Thanks.

Well at the moment they're doing what I'm doing in Computer/Electronic programming-wise, i.e. assembly language with the Keil µVision IDE in 3D1 and making a Java simulator of the Enigma coding machine used in WWII in 3D5.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

I've a question, I'm in JF engeneering and I did my first lab last week. During the course meeting we were told that we had to hand up our lab reports a week after the lab was done, but during it the instructor told us we just had to hand it up when we had a lab again in two weeks. Should I hand it up to make sure or am I ok to put it off until next week.

zoom! wrote: »
    I've a question, I'm in JF engeneering and I did my first lab last week. During the course meeting we were told that we had to hand up our lab reports a week after the lab was done, but during it the instructor told us we just had to hand it up when we had a lab again in two weeks. Should I hand it up to make sure or am I ok to put it off until next week.

I think it says in the handbook that the labs have to be handed in within a week, and that's what they seem to be going by. We just had the same problem, with a demonstrator telling us we had two weeks, only for the woman in charge to interrupt and tell us that no, we only had one week because that was what was in the handbook.

well I didn't hand it today but if the demonstrator said that it was for 2 weeks then I guess I can't really be penalised. It also says in the experiment handbook that labs should be handed up at the start of the next session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

well I didn't hand it today but if the demonstrator said that it was for 2 weeks then I guess I can't really be penalised. It also says in the experiment handbook that labs should be handed up at the start of the next session.

Idk about the other groups, but at least in group A they said 2 weeks the first time, and then we were told that from now on we only have 1 week to hand it up because it was actually a mistake the first time.

Ah cool I suppose thats what they will do with our group aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Wouldn't hold my breath on that one, although last year ours weren't marked until the end, I missed two deadlines and got away with it

Was wondering about this the other day:
    Our mark in 3rd year counts towards 20% of our final degree mark, yeah?
    But how do they actually assign the 20%?
    Is it just: (your end of year mark / 10) x 2?
    or is it more like: I = 20%, II.1 = 17% (just an example figure), II.2 = 14% etc.
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

20% of the average that you get at your first sitting of the exams, so if you get an average of 100% that you go on to fourth year with 20% of your degree under your belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

Anyone know if it's possible to get access to the Mech. workshops outside of labs/projects as a 3rd year? Like can you submit a piece design for manufacture for a fee or even get in there yourself or something along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

Does anyone know how to log onto the computers in the ICT labs? I can gain access to the room but no combination of passwords and usernames that I try works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Should be your first ever password.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

Baza210 wrote: »
    Should be your first ever password.

Thanks. But the problem is that I only came into Trinity in 3rd year so I haven't got a password from 1st year. My password at the minute is the same as I got at registration and it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Anyone know if it's possible to get access to the Mech. workshops outside of labs/projects as a 3rd year? Like can you submit a piece design for manufacture for a fee or even get in there yourself or something along those lines?

Talk to Mick Reilly, I imagine that they would make it but it would be for a fee. It will also take quite a while cos fourth years have preference in the workshop for all the bits that they need at the moment. BUt there is no harm in asking

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Equium wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to log onto the computers in the ICT labs? I can gain access to the room but no combination of passwords and usernames that I try works.
    Email help[at]cs.tcd.ie to get your password reset.

I hate WileyPLUS :(

I answered in decimals (putting in all the decimals the calculator gave me) and it said it was wrong. I had the right answer, just not in terms of pi. Would it really be so hard to add in a line that says "give your answer in terms of pi"?!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DaDon

I'm thinking of doing mechanical engineering next year. I have it narrowed down to either UCD or Trinity, what's the course like there? Is it true it's very theory based? Is it a tough course as in maths content etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

so long buggy project...yay

dermo1990 wrote: »

Lucky you! We still haven't finished (or presented) ours >_<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

dermo1990 wrote: »

and hello schols... yay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Groinshot wrote: »
    and hello schols... yay

That's what ya get for choosing them and not going on the ski tour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭kthnxbai

anyone know roughly when graduation will be this year? the ceremony like...

Or even when last years was and if it's usually during a certain month or anything...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

kthnxbai wrote: »
    anyone know roughly when graduation will be this year? the ceremony like...

Or even when last years was and if it's usually during a certain month or anything...
    It was on 5th Nov last year.

http://www.tcd.ie/vpcao/administration/records-awards/assets/pdf/commencements-schedule.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Microsoft Mathematics is free to download now, it's a really nice graphing application that I wish I had last year when we still did calculus. Second years, take note.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9caca722-5235-401c-8d3f-9e242b794c3a

Hey Jonathan (or anyone else who has done 3e3), any tips for passing 3e3? I can't seem to work out which questions are "reliable" on the paper, of courser that's assuming there are any...

(also hope no-one minds me necro-ing this thread a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭TheBigRedDog

DaDon wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing mechanical engineering next year. I have it narrowed down to either UCD or Trinity, what's the course like there? Is it true it's very theory based? Is it a tough course as in maths content etc?

Yep very maths based, mechanics seem to be doing a lot of theory in 3rd year too. There's labs, assignments and projects which cover some of the practical elements but that's not what we're being taught really. It's still a good course(but thats only because I'm doing electronic and computers now and like it.)

J

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

Yeah it's pretty heavy on the maths and theory, but to be honest UCD will most likely be the same (as in a lot of theory)

There are practical elements to the course though and overall having talked with people in other Colleges/IT's I'm glad I went TCD

Only reason I might have gone UCD over Trinity is that they offer Chemical Engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Mech is brill!!!! it can be a bit mathy yea...specially stuff like solids and well everything...but most engineering is...and its doable...i still say of all the trinity's engineerings mech is the most hands on...i got to weld and do milling and mess about with engines and we design stuff for real life problems

I'm sure you know that engineering in trinity is undenominated for the 1st 2 years with the most of the focus been split between civil, mech and elec..or it was when i was in it.

The only reason i choose tcd over ucd was because in ud you pick your stream at xmas in 1st year i think and i didnt think id know what i wanted to do by then so i went for tcd.

Also on a side note we also get funnest department...in 3rd year when we choose mech we got a drinks reception with all the staff and next eek we get to go commons and for drinks again with them...see way cooler than the others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

any chance anyone here is doing 3E1 maths?? If so do you know if the exam will change much from the last two years? Cos his notes are actually illegible so i kinda wanna learn as few topics as possible.

Advertisement