Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Make sure you know the double simplex method for optimisation, that is the one reason why over 80 people failed it last year, although I heard he put on two "mid-terms" whereas we only had one. You should have passed already!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Anybody know when the 3rd year repeats are on? Hoping to go to i43 but it looks to be perfectly aligned with the general supplemental period on the TCD calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Baza210 wrote: »
    Anybody know when the 3rd year repeats are on? Hoping to go to i43 but it looks to be perfectly aligned with the general supplemental period on the TCD calendar.

What are you planning on playing at i43?

Team Fortress 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Hey anyone else hoping to start Engineering this year? 170 places to be filled and I haven't heard of a single person besides myself :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

Hey anyone else hoping to start Engineering this year? 170 places to be filled and I haven't heard of a single person besides myself :P

Yeah! I feel the same, where is everyone? I am really hoping to do engineering too, especially after that mad adventure with maths. I really can't wait, will be a relief studying something you enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Is it the 27th that we are back in? (SF)

Also, for those of you who are in a higher year, is there a lot of books to be bought for SF Engineering?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

yea there are but ive never bought any. copies can be got online or library...sayin that if you find a subject particularly hard having the book on hand can be extremely helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I've bought a couple of books over the years but I don't think I've ever really got the value out of them (cause they're damn expensive new). That said, come exam time, having your own copy can be a godsend.

Try use the library as much as you can first, can't hurt to try using the free ones before you take the plunge on buying for yourself. If that doesn't work out, like there aren't enough to go around or whatever, then consider it. If it does work out, well you're laughing!

On a shameless side-note, I actually have the second year maths books sitting looking at me here in my room. I was planning on selling them on eventually, but if you or your mates are interested I'll give you a extra super special boardsie price :D

• Advertisement

I'll beat that price by a fiver, or two Freddos.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

I read a good tip here before about buying books, and that was to check amazon.co.uk for good condition second hand books if you can't find them being sold on campus. (for example).
    Also, for SF maths, this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/khanacademy
    (apologies if he's already been posted). I passed SF maths because of that channel. I found the playlist on Diff. Equations extremely helpful (convolution, Laplace Transform etc.). There are other good videos there too.

Yeah, shame I only found those videos after I had already failed maths. This guy is helping me with Simplex optimization, also http://www.youtube.com/user/scottrelliott#p/u/0/ydDnmyB2lYY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Hey, has anyone heard about the Laptop scheme for our year this year?

Groinshot wrote: »
    Hey, has anyone heard about the Laptop scheme for our year this year?

Other than the customary 10% discount on the Apple store... I'm not really sure?

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Other than the customary 10% discount on the Apple store... I'm not really sure?

3rd year D stream engineers get laptops, don't they?

3rd year D stream engineers get laptops, don't they?

That's Eng w/ Management?

/Computer( \& Electronic)? Engineering/i

ahh ok. Thats nice to know! I plan on going into Electronic Engineering after this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Still no other people starting Engineering have posted here? :/ I feel like there's going to be no one in the course!

• Advertisement

There will be. They just won't know how to use a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Krolchatka

Still no other people starting Engineering have posted here? :/ I feel like there's going to be no one in the course!

I feel exactly the same, going into Engineering myself, kinda not looking forward to the first 2 years, as I'm pretty set on doing Comp.Eng and all that cement-density civil stuff does scare me.

Krolchatka wrote: »
    I feel exactly the same, going into Engineering myself, kinda not looking forward to the first 2 years, as I'm pretty set on doing Comp.Eng and all that cement-density civil stuff does scare me.
    Meh, it's not that bad. Just watch out for mechanics, both years. And physics and chemistry in first year...

Meh, it's not that bad. Just watch out for mechanics, both years. And physics and chemistry in first year...

Agreed! Going into 2nd year and I have to say that I really hated the Chemistry aspect of first year. I didn't do Chemistry for the LC for a reason... I hate it! However it annoyed me that I had to study it in first year which still seems like it was a waste of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 IllusionedEyes

Going into first year Engineering with Management here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

I'm starting Engineering too, so don't worry, you won't be on your own! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

Is anyone else dreading the 3e1a exam on Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 frank126

No need to worry. I'll be there!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 M_ark

Yet another person starting the engineering course here! Hello :)
    Just wondering if anyone could tell me if we will need books and equipment from the first day? Like we have one of the drawing lectures on Monday but I not only don't have any of the stuff but I also don't really have a clue as to what we need...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

M_ark wrote: »
    Yet another person starting the engineering course here! Hello :)
    Just wondering if anyone could tell me if we will need books and equipment from the first day? Like we have one of the drawing lectures on Monday but I not only don't have any of the stuff but I also don't really have a clue as to what we need...
    You should be grand with a refill pad and a pen for the first day. :)

Advertisement